on March 13, 2014
I imagine if you are looking at this review you are wondering about this charger. This review will give you all the information you will need to decide. Like most of you, I was on the search for a good and inexpensive qi charger. Long story short...this is THE one you should get. I have a Nexus 5 with a Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for LG Nexus 5 - Retail Packaging. I also have a Nexus 7 2nd Gen tablet with a MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 2 7.0 Inch 2013 Generation Android 4.3 Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep Feature) both of which work flawlessly with this charger.

It is a very small form factor. Diameter of about 2.75" and about 3/8" thick. It has a rubber ring on both sides to keep the unit from sliding around as well as keeping phone/tablet in place. It comes with two micro B usb cables. One is short (a little over 12" long) and another that is longer (about 54"). It does NOT include the power AC adapter.

The unit has a small dimly lit LED that illuminates green when not being used and turns blue when it is charging. The LED is not especially bright and would therefore not be a problem if using it next to your bed.

When you place your phone or tablet on the charger it makes a beep to let you know that it made correct contact. There is not really any sweet spot, in that, I can more or less randomly center my phone on the pad and it will connect. There is no measuring and trying to get it "just right". It's really not that difficult to figure out how to place a phone on the charger. The beep that it makes is not very loud at all and is nice to have a reassurance of correct contact. If I have the tv on low volume in my bedroom and I place my phone down, I sometimes can't hear the beep. The only time it beeps is when I put my phone on it for charging.

It seems to be slightly slower charging than plugging the USB into my phone or tablet but I wouldn't consider it a major decline in overall charge times. I have a Nexus 5 phone and I use the included charger rated @ 1.2Amps. I think this charges at around 1 Amp. So, not a huge decline in my opinion. It's difficult to judge how much longer it takes to charge my tablet, mainly because it has a larger battery and I really don't want to waste time figuring it out. Much like I don't want to watch paint dry or grass grow.

Overall, I am very pleased with this charger and I own two of them in which they both work exactly the same.

Now........
Here is the ugly part... Not all of these chargers are the same. The first one I ordered was a true legitimate Powerbot charger. I bought the black on black charger...Great charger and I couldn't be happier.

I then ordered (what I thought) was the same charger from the same seller. I ordered the yellow on black charger thinking that "Hey, I like yellow. Let's mix it up a little." What I received was a cheap knock off of the real thing. First, it didn't come in the same packaging and nowhere did it say it was made my Powerbot. Not on the charger, not on the packaging, nowhere. The charger DID charge my devices but it was painfully slow. It did NOT beep when contact was made and while this is ok with my phone (I can see the LED) it was huge pain with the tablet. Peering under the tablet to see if contact was made and the LED changed color. Made it a total pain to figure out if the device was actually charging or not...did I mention this was incredibly slow? The LED changed from a solid color to a bright blinking light that was super annoying on my nightstand. I returned this cheap imitation the next day and ordered a legit charger.

According the product listing (and I noticed this could change from hour to hour) were the different model colors that are available...black, white, red, orange, blue, etc.... The only true legitimate charger made 100% by powerbot are the black on black, the red on black and the blue on black. All others are NOT real. If your look @ the eyecandis website you will only see the 3 available colors they make. Again, all others are cheap knockoffs.
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 20, 2013
I recently purchased a Nexus 5, the first phone I own that has the wireless charging capability. In searching for Qi chargers, the prices generally start around 20, with brand names costing 40+. I wanted something affordable without sacrificing too much quality. Qi chargers come in various shapes. I was looking for something that is round, because I believe the inductive coil is round and it would not make sense to have a square housing with wasted space (unless it's a multi-coil design, which probably isn't inexpensive). The round design also feels less directional, not to mention taking a bit less desktop space, assuming there's only a single coil of equal size.

This round hockey puck design caught my eye when I searched on ebay. I liked the duo-tone design, and how the contrasting accent is also a functional rubber friction pad. Many of the Qi Chargers have but a plastic surface. While it would serve just fine, it still seems to make sense to have a friction pad that's more gentle on the phone and more secure in the grip. While most of these sold for over $20, I shopped around and saw this seller putting up these pucks. I was probably the first ones to get these as the seller finalized the item.

I decided to purchase this because of the Amazon guarantee, as I had my doubts. The product pictures are great, but don't show a terrible amount of detail. Specifically, I had these questions:

- How well are these made? Are the plastics going to feel cheap? Are the rubbers well cut and affixed?
- Will it charge as quickly as a direct plug-in? This is very important, as I imagined it would probably be a sacrifice I'd have to make for the sake convenience.
- Will it be as efficient as plug-in? It's most probably not due to the physical nature of inductive charging, but how much less efficient would it be?

Here is what I found so far:

- The quality is excellent. While the matte plastic isn't of the best quality, it's good enough to not look too flimsy. The matte finish on the top and bottom surface also helps, though there are a few very faint scuff marks that only an OCD like myself would probably notice against the light. Rubber is perfectly cut with no rough edges, and is of a very nice color (I got the red on black). It's got a ring of rubber both to the top and bottom, and as a result it rests securely despite its light weight. The diameter is about the same as the width of the nexus 5, measuring 2 11/16" (6.8cm). It's got very good proportions and design. I find it very pleasant to look at. The LED shows green at idle and blue while charging. It also beeps when you place the phone on, indicating successful placement. While it works only near the center of the Nexus 5, it's really not difficult to place, and the phone balances nicely at the sweet spot.

- Charging speed: I've charged the phone back to back using the same AC adapter with 2.0A current rating and the cable supplied with the charging puck. I nearly deplete the battery and then charge around 40% on the wireless charger, and the rest using plug-in. I am glad to find that Qi charging was actually slightly faster. On the android battery curve, other than a break in the "charging" status bar, you would probably guess wrongly by looking at the charging curve. The plug-in charging actually had a slightly slower looking slope than the Qi Wireless charging. That was certainly unexpected, and I'm not sure why, other than the conjecture that they are probably regulated differently by the phone. It's great that this Qi Charger can deliver wirelessly all the charge that a 2A adapter could offer us through a wired connection.

- Efficiency: The idle power consumption is close to zero (undetectable by my meter), which is nice. The charging power consumption for the Qi Charger hovers around 6.2W, and over 7W with screen on (Which was surprising as I didn't know it could be variable). For wired charging, it's around 3.1W constant, with screen on or off (don't know why either. It must again be the difference in regulation. Maybe Qi charging standard actively modulates consumption and charge rates?). So in my case, wireless charging is roughly about 50% as efficient as wired charging, if negating the slight difference in their charge rates.

I also want to note how it's a plus for this charger to take micro-USB connectors, rather than round ones. This means I could just use the ubiquitous smartphone/tablet power adapter and cable if I wanted to, rather than having to find a proprietary charger. On the bottom it says inputs of 5V/1500mA (I'm not even sure if this number even matters, since it'll depend on what charger you match it with), but it took my tablet charger at 5v/2A just fine. It comes with a 30cm and 150cm USB cable, which is nice. The charging distance is said to be 4mm-10mm. In practice I think it's more like 10mm, as I have a pretty thick case (Caseology hybrid TPU, thicker than most I think) and it had no problems charging. I also could lift the phone a few mm before it stops. It feels pretty dependable.

So, to me all this turned out pretty well. Wireless charging seems like a small convenience. I always wondered what you would have to sacrifice for it, and most likely the charging speed/rate. Not only is this "small convenience" proving to be an entirely new level of experience, this generic Qi Charger also proved that it could charge just as fast if not faster than plug-in charging. With its good looks and a bargain price (at the time of my purchase), what's not to love?
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2014
IMPORTANT EDIT: I see now that all of PowerBot's Qi chargers are listed on one page. This is playing havoc with the reviews and Q&A sections, so I'm going to do what I can to help straighten things out a bit. I now own the PB1020,PB1021, and PB1082. Since I can't write separate reviews for each, I'm going to compile them here in one huge mega-review in that same order. The PB1020 is the small hockey-puck style Qi charger, the PB1021 is a midsized rectangular Qi charger, and the PB1082 is a portable power bank with integrated Qi charger.

>>>> This is my original review for the PowerBot® PB1020:
This charger is pretty much perfect for my needs. I'm new to Qi charging, and am looking to implement it everywhere I need to charge a device (nightstand, desk, car, etc). I've got a 2013 Nexus 7, and have installed Qi adapters for my Galaxy S4 and my iPod Touch 5. I got this one after a somewhat bad experience with the first Qi charger I bought, and am loving it. After searching around online a bit, it seems that the charger itself is produced in mass quantities in China and then rebranded for sale here in the US. The original model number seems to be BC252X, where X is the initial of the color you want (R for red, W for white, B for black, L for blue, and so on). If you look around here on Amazon, you'll see plenty of other chargers that are nearly identical to this one (DigiYes, MuchBuy, and a few others. The Koolpuck from Fonesalesman also appears to be the same device). You can also find them on other sites like ali express, if you don't mind waiting for it to ship from China (or buying things from China, for that matter).

There were only 2 things I didn't like with this charger - the brightness of the LED, and the loud BEEP it makes when you set a device on it - neither of these things make for a good bedside charger. Luckily, this unit was really easy to open and those two things were very easy to fix. There are 6 tabs that hold the bottom cover on, and it's easily removed with a jeweler's screwdriver. I put an LED dimming dot (bought locally, can't find similar item on Amazon or I'd link it) on the plastic tab that transfers the LED light from the circuit board to the outside of the case, and now the LED is not so bright that it lights up the room at night. The speaker responsible for the BEEP is labelled J1, and it's easy enough to disable the sound - pop the cover off of it, and remove the shiny silver disc inside that acts as the speaker cone. Replace the cover, and you're good to go - it's as silent as could be. Needless to say, taking any of these steps will void whatever warranty PowerBot provides, and none of this should be attempted while the unit is plugged in (obviously). Oh, one last thing - the plastic covers around the micro USB port were a bit restrictive and only allowed me to connect the USB cables supplied with the charger. While I had the covers off and PCB removed, I widened this opening up a bit with an x-acto knife and can now connect any USB cable to it. A nice benefit of this port being smallish is that the included USB cables are the only ones I've found that completely fit the Supcase Unicorn Beetle case for my Galaxy S4 - and now I've got a 4' and 1' cable for free. Sweet!

I also like that the charger is nice and compact. These chargers are very pocket sized, and I'm looking forward to having one with me everywhere I go. I work on x-ray machines in "the field" (ie, hospitals and surgery clinics all over my state) which means I don't have a sit-down office, and my various electronics gadgets are always hungry for more juice. Having one of these in my bag will help with that a lot.

Another thing I wanted to mention - this charger should be very adaptable to various DIY projects. I've seen articles about incorporating Qi charging into things like the surfaces of nightstands, homemade wooden charging stands, office desks, and so on. With the covers removed, the internal circuit board and copper coil are integrated into one unit, and are very compact. I think it would be easy for a good DIY-er to use this for the basis of a wide variety of projects. I'm looking forward to trying it, myself. Search XDA forums for the magnetized angled wooden Qi charger one member built for his Nexus 5- it's pretty nice! This charger would work very well for something like that with the case removed.

All in all, it's just what I was looking for, and very affordable. It charges all my gadgets, and does so fairly quickly. It's slower than a wired connection, but the convenience factor makes up for that. At least with my Android gadgets, if I need a faster charge I can still always just connect a standard charger. Just be sure to use a good 1.5 or 2 amp USB adapter with it, and you'll be good to go.

UPDATE: I originally said that I placed 1 LED dimming dot on the light redirector. That still turned out to be too bright and I've added another. Now it's not so bright that it keeps me awake at night. I have also now uploaded a few pictures to the "Product Images from Customers" section, check them out for more details on the mods I talked about earlier. Still loving this charger, and I already have another on the way (and more to follow, most likely).

>>>> My review for the PowerBot PB1021:
The PB1021 is very similar to the PB1020, except with a different form factor. It is larger and more rectangular (ie, phone shaped), which actually makes it easier to interact with the phone while it's charging, since the whole body of the phone is supported. This means I can press the home button on my S4 without the phone tipping up off the charger and flopping around like it can with the PB1020. The charger has a very bright LED indicator, and an integrated speaker/beeper as described in the PB1020 review. The speaker is easy enough to disable, although getting the case open is a bit trickier. Before opening the case, be sure to unplug it and wait a few minutes for everything to fully discharge. There are no capacitors in there large enough to hold a dangerous charge, but why risk it? And DEFINITELY don't work on it with the covers removed while it's plugged in. You'll probably regret it. So anyways, there are 4 screws that hold the top and bottom together, which are hidden beneath the little rubber feet on the bottom. Once you remove the feet, the screws are easy to remove but the two halves are still held together by some very small, delicate posts on the base that fit tightly into little holes in the top cover. If you try to forcibly tug the two halves apart, you'll probably break off one or more of these little posts. It won't break the case or charger, but it won't fit together quite so nicely. I started on one of the short ends of the charger near the USB port, and gently pried and held open the two halves of the case, then wedged a small jeweller's screwdriver into the gap on the long side and twisted, and repeated the process down the side as necessary. It gets easier as you go, but remember to be gentle and not force it too much. The speaker responsible for the BEEP is a small square box almost identical to the one used in the PB1020, so read that description and see the pictures for further reference. I'm posting a picture to show the location of the component on the PB1021, but won't show every little step separately. Once I removed the speaker, I tried using the charger on my nightstand, but found that the LED completely lit up the room. So, I popped the covers back off, and applied a few layers of white electrical tape between the LEDs and the light spreader. That did it! The light is no longer blinding. As a nice bonus, since I got the white version the whole body of the charger glows ever so gently in the pitch dark of my bedroom, making it a lot easier to find and interact with in the middle of the night.

The circuit board inside the PB1021 is slightly less friendly for DIY chargers/stands than the PB1020, but still might be useable if you really want to try. The micro USB port is not attached to the PCB, so it would be easy to relocate it if needed. The PCB is held in by two screws, and the charging coil is on a large square of what looks like double-sided foam tape. Easy enough to remove and re-stick in your own homebuilt charging stand.

>>>> Finally, here is my review for the PowerBot® PB1082:
The PB1082 is the most recent Qi charger I've gotten from PowerBot and so far I'm enjoying it very much. The idea of combining a power bank with a Qi charger is absolutely brilliant, and PowerBot has made it work rather well. With reasonable and realistic expectations, I think anyone would be happy with it.

The short version of my review is that it is a conveniently sized portable power bank with good capacity and the integrated Qi charger is a wonderful addition, but you should use a wired connection to charge your device if you need to squeeze the most power into your phone or tablet. Important notes are that while you can recharge the PB1082 with a USB port on a computer, it will recharge much much faster with a separate AC adapter (provided you've got a good one). Also, you can use the Qi charger while the unit is plugged into an AC adapter, but all the power will go towards charging your device and not the PB1082's internal battery. Read on for all the gory details:

The PB1082's dimensions are 3.25" x 5.25" x 0.625", so it's fairly compact. It's slightly thicker than a standard Qi pad, but not by much. It contains a 7000mAh battery pack which can be recharged via any micro USB charger. The On switch, battery indicator, and Qi indicator are on one end, while USB output and micro USB input are on the other end. There are 4 small rubber feet on the bottom, and the Qi "sweet spot" is indicated by a 2" rubber ring on the top. These rubber bits help ensure that neither the charger nor the charging device move around. This is important for Qi charging, as the "sweet spot" needs to be very precisely aligned with your device.

The On switch is touch sensitive, so it doesn't need to be pressed very hard (and doing so repeatedly may damage it). I'm very specifically calling it an On switch, and not Power switch, since it cannot be used to turn the power bank off. Don't worry, the power bank will turn itself off after about 30 seconds of inactivity, but it can't be forcibly turned off by this switch. The battery indicator in the center shows charging status and remaining power level. When a Qi-capable device is placed on top of the charger, there is a beep and a blue indicator on the left lights up. If there is any kind of problem with the Qi "connection", then the indicator light starts flashing in time to a "beep beep beep" sound. If this occurs, something is not right and you should try repositioning the device, and further investigate any issues if that doesn't fix it (poor quality Qi receiver, thick case, etc etc). If all goes well, you will not hear any more beeps or see any lights change, and the phone and charger will enter a low power mode when the battery reaches 100%. The phone will continue to draw power, but only enough to run its own background processes and keep the battery topped off. It'll stay at 100% and be good to go whenever you pick it up.

On my PB1020 review, I go into great detail about how to disable the charger's BEEP noise for use on a nightstand. I won't be doing that here, as that beep sound can actually be useful for indicating the above-mentioned problems, and misalignment issues are more likely with a portable unit like this. Additionally, disassembling this power bank unit is trickier and more dangerous, since there is a battery pack involved. Once you unplug the PB1020, there is no more potentially dangerous power present, and it's very easy to disassemble and reassemble. Not the case here, so I won't be doing it. I'd recommend a modified PB1020 or PB1021 for use on the nightstand, and a PB1082 for on-the-go use.

So, let's talk about power. The PB1082 has a 7000mAh battery pack as mentioned before. For a Galaxy S4 with a 2600mAh battery, this means about 2.7 "empty-to-full" recharges, if there are no inefficiencies present. Inefficiency is a fact of life, and is present in pretty absolutely everything. Inefficiency means that there is more input to a system than output, and the "lost" energy usually dissipates as waste heat. In the case of phone chargers, wired charging is the most efficient option. Qi chargers generate a powerful magnetic field which collapses when power is removed - the field is created and maintained by power usage. As a result, Qi charging is only about 70% as efficient as wired charging (wires don't have a field to collapse - at least, not a big one). Not a big deal when a Qi charger is plugged directly into an AC adapter, but can make a big difference if it is running off of a limited battery pack (as in this case). That 2.7 "empty-to-full" number of recharges would drop to 1.9 recharges, and that's in 100% perfect laboratory-like conditions (and most of us don't live in laboratories). Just keep this in mind as you use the PB1082. Wireless charging provides great grab-and-go convenience, but if you absolutely need to squeeze out as much on-the-go charging as you can, be sure to use a wired connection. You can also use both wired and wireless charging at the same time, but you should only expect to fully charge each device only once or so. I just noticed that even though the output USB port is labelled to only provide 1000mA output, my Nexus 7 (2013 model) is actually drawing 1500mA - a nice 50% bonus!

Recharging the power bank is easy, simply plug a micro USB charger into the appropriate port on the PB1082 and it will take care of itself, given enough time. It's doable by using a port on a computer/laptop, but will take a very long time since they can only deliver a certain amount of power. Plugged into a standard USB port, I saw that the PB1082 was receiving 4.5V @ 400mA (1.8 watts). Plugged into my S4's factory charger, I see that it is receiving 5.1V @ 1.7mA (8.7 watts). That's almost 5 times the charging power! Recharging the PB1082 from empty-to-full on a standard computer port would take almost 20 hours, while recharging it with a higher performance charger would only take 4 hours. One other important thing to note here is that you can use the Qi charger while the PB1082 is plugged into an AC adapter, but all the PB1082's internal battery will stop charging and all the power will flow through the power bank and into the phone. While not necessarily ideal behavior, this is done because the combined current draw of both the unit's own battery and the Qi charger would be well over 3000mA, which is much more than the rating of any USB charger I've ever seen. The inability to charge both at the same time is another reason not to use this as a nightstand charger.

All in all, this seems to be a pretty solid unit, and I'm looking forward to using it when I'm at work and don't always have access to other charging methods to keep my S4 happy. Feel free to ask questions in the comments section, and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for reading!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2013
I have been looking for an affordable Qi charger since I bought my Nexus 4 phones back in March. None I researched seemed acceptable. They are either way to pricey for the utility provided or suffer some serious design deficiency. The I came across this little gem. And I do mean gem. $15 with free shipping! And it works beautifully. I can't think of anything negative to report.

The unit size is great, a bit smaller than a hockey puck. I really do like the simple, minimalist design. It has anti-slip rubber rings on top and bottom so that neither it nor the phone (when placed on it for charging) slip around. It comes with two micro usb cables of different lengths, but no power adapter. You have to provide your own power adapter. I suppose the lack of a power adapter may be a negative for some, but not for me. I (and many users as well probably) already have several power adapters that can be plugged into it, so I figure I saved money by not having one included. The operation of the unit is easy peasy. Power it up, a green light comes on and its ready to be used. Set the phone on top of it and if it is positioned correctly an audible beep sounds and the light turns blue. That's all there is. If the phone isn't positioned correctly it will either sound continuous beeps if only slightly off position, or won't sound a beep at all if placed considerably far off position. The key is to make sure you place the phone and hear the one beep. In the case of my Nexus 4, the Nexus also makes an audible tone when it is properly placed. I can't say that it charges any faster than the regular wall adapter that came with the phone - I haven't felt the need to test for that nor did I purchase with the idea that it ought to. But I don't think it is any slower, so no complaint there. All in all this product at its price point is a winner. I intend to order another unit after my Thanksgiving holiday.

Update: The charger is still great. But I just noticed that the price has gone up twice in less than a week since I ordered it; from $14.99, to #17.99, to now $19.99. Now that's some significant price inflation! I did some quick research on Amazon and found that there are several other sellers of what appears to be the identical unit: exact same physical design and packaging. Though reviews of some of those other units suggest slight operational differences with regard to the audible beep tone when charging. This suggests that all the resellers are buying the same unit from a master factory and maybe slightly altering the speaker (piezo electronic transducer) function. I am hazarding a guess that the price was raised on this unit to match or just slightly undercut the price on those other units, which all seem to be selling above $20. Would I still buy it at the new price? Probably, because this specific reseller's unit is Prime eligible, thus making 2 day shipping no charge to me. I just hope it doesn't inflate anymore in the next few days before I return from holiday and can order again (won't be in town to accept delivery).

Update 12/04/13: Ok. So I have been using this charger for about 2 weeks. I continue to be impressed by the charger for the price I paid ($14), but have discovered one shortcoming. The shortcoming is that it doesn't continue to trickle charge my Nexus 4 after completing a recharge to 100%. Once charging is complete it quits and the Nexus 4 begins discharging. This presents an issue for charging overnight - depending on when the recharge to 100% is completed and the phone begins discharging the charge level can be significantly less than 100% in the morning than one would otherwise be expecting. This issue is not unique to this particular charger and seems to exist with many others. However I think I would deduct at least 1 star from my review because of it. I also see that the price on this item has continued to escalate from the price I paid ($14) just two weeks ago to $26 today. That's some rapid inflation. As stated, I had planned to acquire another but at its current price and with the trickle charge issue I am led now to at least investigate alternatives before I buy another.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2014
It works - I get a 640ma charge, whereas plugging in directly gives me 1200ma. Sure, it's not a 2000ma 1.5 hour charge, but I charge more often because I just have to set my phone down. If I REALLY need the juice, and can leave the phone for a bit, I plug it in directly. Yes, it gets a little warm, but not hot. My phone would get warm on a 1-2 amp charge anyway.

Pros:
- small size = big win. Mounting this to my phone cradle in my car + bluetooth receiver = wireless NIRVANA. Most others are too big.
- Rubber rings on front & back cushion and keep the phone in place
- Beep confirms correct placement (small size + large phone means you can't see the LED that tells you if your phone is aligned correctly - although my S4 screen also confirms wireless charging)

Cons:
- USB Port - CONSTRUCTION: *very* cheep feeling - all USB cables I tried with this felt loose, and fell out of the device if the cord was bumped even a little bit, or just from cable tension over time - this makes it VERY unreliable. No time gained if I have to keep plugging the charger in, instead of the phone!
- USB Port - SIZE: most of the USB cables I tried would not fit because of the shell opening. For some reason, they have recessed the USB port, rather than having it right on the surface, as most devices do. Then, they cut an opening in the shell to accommodate the plastic 'grip' on USB cables - EXCEPT IT IS TOO SMALL. Sure, they provide 2 USB cables that do fit, BUT, a LOT of USB chargers (esp. automotive) come with a built-in cable, so switching cables is NOT an option
- Beep is LOUD - far louder than it needs to be - I would think this would normally be used in a home or office, not a factory, so 1/10th the volume would have been sufficient. A switch to select volume (100%/20%/0%) would be a premium solution

Net/net: if it weren't for the USB port design flaws, I would be buying a bunch of these to put around my house, bedroom, office, and car.
But because of them, I must continue my quest for wireless Nirvana...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The PowerBot PB1028, by the company SoundBot, is another in their series of Qi wireless chargers. There are a bunch of these, which seem to follow the numbering scheme PB102X, where X = 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and probably others. It's up to PB1030 now, and that's a wooden one. I don't know if the internals of these pads differ or if they're all the same, but all Qi pads only support up to a certain charging rate. I'm using this Qi pad with a RAVPower Receiver Tag in my Samsung Galaxy S5.

The device isn't that hard to line up but you need to know where to place your phone in order to get a charge. My S5 has an OtterBox Commuter case and there's no problem charging. In fact if I hold it so that the OtterBox is 2-3mm from the surface of the PowerBot pad itself, the phone still charges. So add that 2-3mm to whatever the thickness of the Otterbox Commuter is, probably 2mm or so, and that's the range of this charger.

As others have said about these devices, they do heat up, and so does your phone. That's inherent to how this technology works - heat is a necessary part of the operation of the device. It's not that bad, though. My phone didn't get above 100°F (37.7°C) while charging in a 70°F room, and that's with the OtterBox Commuter on, insulating some of that heat within the phone.

I charged from 50-90% using a computer USB 3.0 port, checking it periodically, and took notes:

started charging at 1:31pm:

1:31pm, 25.0°C @ 50%
2:21pm, 37.7°C @ 64%
2:40pm, 37.2°C @ 71%
3:10pm, 37.1°C @ 81%
3:40pm, 36.4°C @ 90%

Now that the important stuff has been said, I'll describe the device itself. I think the packaging claims it weighs 87g, and that seems about right. It's small, unobtrusive, and there are no hard edges. The device is shrouded inside a silicone covering with the PowerBot logo on top of it. Since the device is square and inductive coils are round, the edges of this device don't contain anything. So if you drop it and it lands on a corner, that will probably just compress and not harm the functional center of the device. The USB cord is the flat/ribbon type and does not disconnect from the charging pad. The cord is almost 4 feet long and comes with a little Velcro strap attached to it for when you want to tie the cord up.

The price on these is right, the design is good, and I just bought another one for a family member.
on January 22, 2015
I bought this for my Nexus 6 as it was by far the least expensive, however I had some balance issues (read below for my solution). As expected it works great, however because you have to sit the Nexus slightly off center in order for it to charge. This off-center positioning makes it very easy to either knock off the charging pad, or miss the correct alignment altogether (which then prevents the device from charging)

Shapeways to the rescue! As the attached pictures show, I found an awesome Nexus 6 cradle on shapeways designed to help the Nexus 6 sit perfectly on this Qi charger. Now my phone falls perfectly into the correct alignment, and furthermore can't be accidentally knocked off. If you're curious about the cradle, just google for "nexus 6 cradle shapeways".
review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm writing this review to address an issue I haven't seen yet in the comments. There are two different light configs available on these PB1020 QI charging pads. I have the all black version and the black with blue ring version of these pads.

All Black Version: The all black version has a green stand-by light. When I place my Google Nexus 5 on the pad, there is an audible chime, and then the light turns blue to indicate it is charging. If the phone is not aligned correctly, the chime will go off repeatedly until I align it (it's not hard to get it aligned at all).

Black with Blue Ring Version: This charger has a red stand-by light and when my phone is placed on it to charge the light turns to a flashing green. There is no chime in this version.

I had purchased the all black version first and thought the blue ring model was defective when I hooked it up and had no chime and different lights. I went to the Soundbot support/download page (http://www.soundbot.com/pages/soundbot-driver-download-support) and found that there are two different versions of this product with different light configs.

Both work great and charge the phone faster than the cable alone. I use the chime version at home on my bedstand since the other's flashing green charging light was an annoyance in the dark. However, that version works out great in my office because it doesn't make any noise when I put the phone on and off.

Bottom line, both work great. Just know that there are 2 different types and you may get a chimer or a flasher!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2013
Nice little charger. Good quality Cords, nice small footprint. LED indicator is nice touch. Unit beeps and LED turns from green to blue when phone has correct placement.

Seems to charge as fast as normal charger.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 21, 2015
This wireless charger is great! The black-on-black design looks very sleek on my desk, which is nice. And the device's form factor is incredibly small, which is great, because I really only notice it when I'm using it. And the final thing I love about this is the price point. Being priced at $13 dollars makes this the cheapest wireless charger I've ever encountered. For all of these reasons, I can definitely recommend this device!