2,248 of 2,328 people found the following review helpful
on January 28, 2012
This product has two major issues:

1. While it's description claims it has a 2 Amp port and a 1 Amp port, the reality is that it has bridged the two ports and it can only source 2 Amps total. It is not capable of delivering 3 Amps combined like the description implicitly claims and could never simultaneously charge an iPad and a smart phone. (UPDATE: The technical details section now indicates more clearly the 2A total, which is appreciated.)

2. The 2 Amp port appears to be using the Apple protocol for USB power, so that port will only provide 0.5 Amps to most other devices.

The upside of this is the 1 Amp port somewhat over delivers, and can source 2 Amps if nothing else is connected and 1.5 Amps if the 2 Amp port is sourcing 0.5 Amps for a non-Apple device. Thus this product can support one-high power non-Apple device (in the 1 Amp port) and one lower power device (in the 2 Amp port).

Now some more background/details...

First, a little background on USB charging for those who don't know:

The USB power spec is for 0.5 Amps at 5 Volts... or 2.5 Watts. This was great up until the last couple years when devices have gotten really power hungry, particularly smartphones and tablets and to a lesser extent dedicated GPS's. Some of these devices use over 2 Amps, particularly the tablets like the iPad (or in my case the HP Touchpad).

Manufacturers of these devices therefore had a dilemma. If they had their devices pull more than 0.5 Amps, they risked damaging the power source, which could be a computer, that was only prepared to source 0.5 Amps. Thus the manufacturers have used tricks to determine whether their device is connected to an unknown source, at which point they purposely only draw 0.5 Amps, or to the dedicated charger that was provided with the device, where they can draw all the power they need.

There seem to be two common tricks used. The first is to short the two data-wires together in the charger. This is what most non-Apple devices do. Since a computer or older device wouldn't have done this, the device can assume it is safe to draw all the power it needs.

Apple seems to have taken a different approach, one that I don't fully understand but know can be seen by the fact that the data lines are neither open nor shorted when the charger is plugged in, and is more sophisticated and probably superior, because I suspect it allows the device to know exactly how much power it can use.

While Apple taking a better approach might be nice in concept, it's created chaos in the USB charger product category. What is the non-specific charger to do? They can't support both.

This device chose to go the Apple route for the 2 Amp port. I don't own any high-power Apple devices, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect this unit performs well with Apple devices. Using electronic equipment I was able to draw 2 Amps when putting a fixed load on this USB charging port. However, when I connect any of the 3 high-power devices I have (HP Touchpad (2 Amps), Motorola Triumph Android phone (0.85 Amps) and the LG Optimus Slider (0.7 Amps)), none of them drew all the current they could have, because they were expecting a shorted set of data-lines.

Luckily for my purposes, the 1 Amp port on this device uses the data-line shorting method. As such, it was able to deliver all the power my Triumph and Optimus wanted. However, for some reason, even when it was the only device connected, it would not fully charge the HP Touchpad at the 2 Amps it could have, because for one reason or another, the HP Touchpad rejected it as a high power charger.

To be honest, this surprised me because it was able to source the 2 Amps the Touchpad claims it needs and the HP Touchpad charger has the data-lines shorted. So I'm not sure why this didn't work.

Thus this device gets 3 stars (UDPATE: 4 stars) because it can source the current it claims (minus the somewhat deceptive 2A + 1A notation (UPDATE: Which is now more clear in the technical details)), would likely support an iPad like it claims, but falls short in other regards noted elsewhere.

For non-Apple users, or even more so mixed users (say an iPad and an Android phone?) this device is superior to the other device I purchased, the "Kensington K33497US PowerBolt Duo Car Charger" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PU01M4/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details) because on that device, NEITHER port works with non-Apple devices (although it performed better power-wise, see my review over there for details).

I've ordered two additional devices:
- "Ultra Compact High Output Dual USB Car Charger - 2.1A Output" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00470C35E/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details)
- "Bracketron Universal Dual USB Car Adapter (UGC-298-BL)" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056VNVV8/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details)

Hopefully one of the two of them will be able to deliver to their specs for my devices.

UPDATE: I've increased my review to 4 stars for two reasons:

1. The changed technical details text makes it more clear its total power capacity.
2. Of the 4 models I purchased, it's one of the two I kept and it's the only one I kept in unmodified form. That's got to count for something. :)
7373 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
* Update Sept 2013: Newer models listed below are probably a better choice. Better output, better fit in socket.

PROs:

* Full-speed charging of iPad, iPhone, and more (see Note 1)
- Branded product. Amazon reviews apply to this exact item.

OKs:

- 1 year warranty

CONs:

- Wobbly fit in car socket (works OK though)
- Cheesy blue light -- always on

- - - Alternatives - - -

Anker® Dual USB 3.6A Car Charger (compact)

CoverBot Dual USB 3.1A Car Charger (lowest cost, also highly rated)

PowerGen Dual USB 3.1 Amp Car Charger

- - - Apple and Non-Apple Devices - - -

Apple devices use their own method to decide charging speed. A designed-for-Apple charger may provide slower charging for non-Apple devices, and vice versa. For details, see K. Crawford's review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1BSQFGYMS2DCH/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00622AG6S (Apparently this charger can also fast-charge non-Apple smartphones and other 1 Amp devices using the 1A port.)

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: I tested using a 2-month old iPhone 4S while on/locked. These iPhone results do not apply to other phones.

30-50%. . . 50-70%. . . 70-90%. . . Avg . . . Charger
--------- . . . --------- . . . --------- . . . ------ . . . ---------
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 23min . . . . 1.02 . . . PowerGen Dual Car Charger - 2A port
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 21min . . . . 1.05 . . . PowerGen Dual Car Charger - 1A port
18min . . . . 19min . . . . 21min . . . . 1.03 . . . Kensington K39224US Car charger
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 23min . . . . 1.02 . . . Apple Wall Charger
33min . . . . 34min . . . . 37min . . . . 0.58 . . . 500mA car charger (Griffin)
35min . . . . 35min . . . . 39min . . . . 0.55 . . . 500mA computer USB port

Avg is "percent per minute" overall -- from 30% charged to 90% charged.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

PROs:

* Full-speed charging of iPad, iPhone, and more (see Note 1)
- Branded product. Amazon reviews apply to this exact item.

OKs:

- 1 year warranty
- Blue status light is maybe too large & bright

CONs:

- Wobbly fit in car socket (works OK though)

- - - Alternatives - - -

9to5Cables Dual 2.1A Car Charger

Anker® Dual USB 3.6A Car Charger (compact)

CoverBot Dual USB 3.1A Car Charger

PowerGen Dual USB 3.1 Amp Car Charger

- - - Apple and Non-Apple Devices - - -

- - - Notes - - -

30-50%. . . 50-70%. . . 70-90%. . . Avg . . . Charger
--------- . . . --------- . . . --------- . . . ------ . . . ---------
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 23min . . . . 1.02 . . . Apple Wall Charger
35min . . . . 35min . . . . 39min . . . . 0.55 . . . 500mA computer USB port

Avg is "percent per minute" overall -- from 30% charged to 90% charged.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2014
This charger worked great for exactly 1 month. Then one day I'm driving home on the freeway and I notice this burning smell. The car charger, which is just sitting in the socket not charging anything has started smoking. I took it out quickly, burning my finger tips and almost causing a 50 car pileup in the process. Needless to say, I smashed it with a sledge hammer and burned the remains when I got home.

Pros:
- Fast charging! I got about 20-30% charge on my HTC ONE in 30 minutes.
- Two outlets.

Cons:
- It tried to kill me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2012
I bought two of these to use to charge our new iPhone 5's. They work great, charging about 1% or more for every one minute plugged in.
on November 7, 2012
Quick Summary: Pass this one up. Specs looks good on paper but performs horribly in the real world. It's not worth the cost or headache and you won't be happy with the PowerGen Dual USB Port 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Charger - Black.

I purchased the PowerGen Dual USB Port 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger - Black because the specs sounded great and was what I thought would fit my needs. However after having received it and used it for 4 months I can say that it was a waste of money. As other reviewers mentioned it does not fit well into the car outlet socket. The metal contacts on either side of the PowerGen are rounded and not flat. As a result you have very little surface area holding the PowerGen into the socket as only the very tops of the contacts are actually in contact with the side walls of the socket. As a result it falls out easily as your car vibrates or hits bumps in the road.

In addition I've had problems with the PowerGen actually working. When plugged in it lights up as it's suppose to but does not supply power to the devices plugged into it. I've tried both USB Ports and neither work. I've tried multiple cables and none work. I've tried Iphones and Ipads and none will charge.

I noticed this happening intermittently the first week I got it. I'd have my Iphone plugged in and it would be charging and then all of a sudden it'd stop charging. Thinking that the PowerGen had come loose in the socket I'd try pushing it back in and jiggling it and the phone would "bleep" and start charging again. At first I thought that it was just coming loose and it stopped happening after a while but it started happening again more frequently and I noticed that when the phone would stop charging that the blue light on the unit would still be on. Now 4 months later it's not working at all. It lights up but as I said before none of the ports gets power and nothing will charge. Not very useful except maybe as a night light.

Fortunately this PowerGen piece of junk wasn't too expensive as I now have to purchase another car USB charger. I can tell you this though, it won't be another PowerGen Dual USB Port piece of junk. If I could return it I would.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a good car charger that features two USB charging ports that can be used at the same time. One USB port is designed for Apple products but I could charge iPads and iPhones in both USB sockets. Output 1 is rated at 1 Amp and output 2 is rated at 2 Amps. The maximum combined output when using both ports is 2 Amps.

The unit comes with no cables but since it is touted as a universal charger and there are so many different types of charger cables I cannot fault them for not supplying one. Many chargers with cables are over $20 to $25 and the cables may only fit one family of devices.

Note the total charging current capacity of the charger is 2 amps and 10 watts total combination of both of the charger ports. If two devices are plugged in they share the 2 Amperes max charging current. This needed to be restated as it does affect your charging rate when trying to charge high current devices like Apple iPads.
Pros
* Dual port
* Charge an iPhone in either port
* Can charge the iPad 2 or 3 in either port
* Port 2 charges up to 2 Amps
* Port 1 charges up to 1 Amp
* Nice blue LED ring around USB ports so you can see it in the dark
* Max 10 watts of charging output which will charge two iPhones at the same time.
* Self-monitoring circuitry protects for over-heating, over-current and over-charging protection.
* Provides fast charging of an iPhone 4 using the 2 amp port (If charging a single device) which is very useful if you are in a hurry.

Cons
* Charger body is longer than many plugs, it can be easy to bump.
* Fits a little looser in the car charger socket than some chargers but it worked OK
* The unit did not charge the HP TouchPad as claimed but so far I have tried a dozen different charging devices and none of them will charge the HP TouchPad except the original HP charger and the HP Touchstone. The HP TouchPad requires a strong 5.3 VDC at 2.08 Amps. When I tried it I got the HP error message that the charging device was not supplying either enough voltage or current to effectively charge it.
* The user manual is OK but still has some poor grammar in it. (It is better than my Chinese though)

This is a good product and the price is good also. It performs as it states it should except for the lack of charging an HP TouchPad. It falls somewhere between a 4 to a 5 star rating and because it worked so well on my iPads I give it a 5 star rating.
I was provided an evaluation unit for testing and agreed to provide a fair and honest review.
on January 1, 2013
Bought two of these products one for a 2006 Mazda 3 & the other for a 2008 Honda Civic, the issue I'm having is the PowerGen does not make a good contact with the car charger, as a result the power keeps dropping from the phone being charged or just not charging the phone at all even when pushed, twisted into car charger good contact is never made. Problem occured in both cars proving that the product was not defective but a waste of money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2012
The contacts on this charger do not work at all with either of the power outlets in my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L. I have tried jiggling, rotating, wedging, reinserting, and every other motion I can think of to try to form a solid contact, but the most I've gotten is a couple of short blips from my iPhone indicating that it detects a power source; a moment later, the contact breaks and the phone no longer charges. This charger is absolutely unusable in my car.

However, I put charger in my girlfriend's 2002 VW Beetle and it works perfectly. So I just let her keep it instead of dealing with return shipping, and I ordered the Kensington K33497US PowerBolt Duo for myself.

So 1 star for not working in my car (and not warning me about it before ordering), but since it works fine in another car and I'd probably give it 5 stars if it worked in mine, I'm averaging it to 3.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2012
Brought two of these, both work perfectly. Love the fact that I can charge my ipad and iphone at the same time. And the LED indicator makes it easy to verify it's plugged in properly. My i-Stuffs charged very quickly by this charger (compared to other chargers).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...