POWERGEN Dual USB Wall Charger, 12-Watt, White
Color: White (2.4a 12w)Change
Price:$9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

** Sept 2013 update. The updated model has the ports marked. The new swing-away prongs are nice for travel. The price is now usually $10. I have changed my review from 4-stars to 5-stars.

- - - Speed Matters- - -

Sometimes you need to charge in a hurry. Even if a charger "works with your device" it may be painfully slow. Get one that will charge your devices at full speed (like the one that came with your device). This is not so simple. Product info is often unclear. Reviewers are often unclear.

For starters, the "Amps" need to be high enough. That's usually 1 Amp for smartphones, about 2 Amps for tablets. (A higher amp charger is always OK.)

The messy part is, Apple devices use their own rules to decide charging speed. A designed-for-Apple charger may be slow to charge non-Apple devices, and vice versa, even if its Amp rating is high enough.

- - - About this PowerGen Wall Charger - - -

PowerGen gets it right by optimizing one port for Apple products (including iPad) and the second port for non-apple products. The two ports make it versatile, even if you never charge two devices at once.

- - - Pricing - - -

In April 2012, PowerGen dropped from 13 to 10. Nice.

PROs:

* Fast charging for Apple and non-Apple devices (see Note 1)
* Nice Price
* Doesn't block other outlets (see Note 2)
- LED power-on indicator (dim blue, not obnoxious)

OKs:

- Compact
- 12-month warranty
- Branded product. Amazon reviews apply to this exact item.
- Energy efficient (see Note 3)
- Feel, fit and finish are fine
- No cable included

CONs:

- None

- - - Alternatives - - -

Anker® 18W / 3.6A Dual-Port Wall Charger
PowerGen White Dual USB Port 2.4A Wall Charger w/Swival Plug <-White version of this

- - - Disclosure - - -

The manufacturer gave me this product for review. I believe my review is impartial.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Charging speed - I tested using a 3-month old iPhone 4S while on/locked. These results do not apply to other devices. I did not test tablets or other phones.

30-50%. . . 50-70%. . . 70-90%. . . Avg . . . Charger
--------- . . . --------- . . . --------- . . . ------ . . . ---------
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 23min . . . . 1.02 . . . Apple
18min . . . . 18min . . . . 23min . . . . 1.02 . . . PowerGen (Apple port)
34min . . . . 35min . . . . 41min . . . . 0.55 . . . PowerGen (Non-Apple port)
20min . . . . 22min . . . . 26min . . . . 0.88 . . . HTC U250
35min . . . . 35min . . . . 39min . . . . 0.55 . . . Computer USB port (.5 amp)

Avg is "percent per minute" overall -- from 30% charged to 90% charged.

Note 2: Blocking other outlets. Seems like small thing, but it can be a hassle. Unplugging lamps, alarm clocks, etc to charge your phone? Just say no (or carry an extension cord).

Note 3: Energy efficient: With no load, charger stays cool, and my Belkin energy monitor says zero watts. While charging iPhone, charger gets warm, but not hot. Consumes 6.7 watts, most of which transfers to the iPhone.

About the reviewer: I try to be impartial and directly compare other products. 30% of my reviews are 5-star reviews. For reviews of free samples from manufacturers: 12% are 5-star reviews.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If your home is like mine you are running out of wall sockets to charge all of your toys. Our iPhones, iPads, iPods, iPod Touches, Bluetooth headphones, and on and on all have a separate wall charger. Here is a nice product; no I mean a great product that features two USB sockets for your smart phones, tablets and accessories. I have successfully charged the following devices without any problems:

* iPad 2 only on the A port
* iPad 3 only on the A port
* iPod 60 GIG only worked on the NA port as it is an old school Apple charging design
* iPod touch on both ports
* Kindle Fire on both ports
* Kindle Keyboard on both ports
* iPhone 4 on both ports

I like that the wall charger has two USB charging ports and it can charge two devices at the same time. (Like our two iPhones simultaneously)

The unit did not charge the HP TouchPad as claimed but so far I have tried a dozen different charging devices and none of them will charge the HP TouchPad except the original HP charger and the HP Touchstone. The HP TouchPad requires a strong 5.3 VDC at 2.08 Amps. When I tried it I got the HP error message that the charging device was not supplying either enough voltage or current to effectively charge it.

The unit can provide up to 2.1 amps which is the rated charging rate for an Apple iPad 3. If you plug in multiple devices they both will still charge (They share the 2.1 Amps) but if one of them requires more than ½ of the 2.1 amp power it will charge more slowly than with its own AC wall charger. Plugging in only one device provides up to 2.1 Amps to either USB port. Smart devices are self-limiting as to how much current they will draw and it is safe to use a higher current charger as your smart phone for example will stop charging when it is full. Usually smart phones like our iPhone charge at 1 amp but they will charge faster and safely at 2.1 amps. The Apple iPad 2's and iPad 3's like 2.1 amps to charge with but will charge at 1 Amp at a slower rate. The iPad 3 is a power hog with an 11,560 mAh battery capacity and can use up to 1.24 amps just operating on a mobile wireless version. If it is plugged in and left on then it will charge very slowly even with the original Apple charger.

The plug has a small blue status LED that indicates that the unit is plugged into a live outlet. I like it because the light is very small and dim and not bright like most wall plug LED's. Your bedroom sometimes looks like Christmas with all of the items plugged in today's modern world with all of the LED's lit up at night.

The unit also features protection circuitry that monitors over-heating, over-current and over-charging protection. The unit I received had the charging ports clearly marked and it included an instruction manual that was not bad.

This is nice AC power charger and I like it a lot. For $9.99 it is a good buy and well worth the money for how it performs. It even works on 240 VAC and 50 Hertz so it is good for overseas travel as long as you take your European plug socket adapters.

I was provided an evaluation unit for testing and agreed to provide a fair and honest review.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2013
When I plug an iPhone 4S into the iDevice charging port, the charger makes a high pitched squealing noise. That behavior, combined with reviews by other buyers of this item catching on fire, convince me to return it.
on October 29, 2012
Was laying in bed while charging iPad 2 when all of a sudden a flame started coming from the charger. I quickly blew it out and unplugged the charger. It's a good thing I was home and in the same room or my house might of been burned down. Think twice about this charger.
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2013
This charger burned a hole in my couch and fried my kindle fire. If you like your device working and not on fire do not buy this.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Please note that this is review for PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger (white) not PowerGen Dual USB 2.4A 12w Travel Wall Charger with Swivel plug. Amazon seem to have combined the reviews for these two different wall chargers (the new and the old versions).

I am following up with Amazon on this issue.
====================================================================================

I tested PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger with Nexus 7 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy 7.7 Tablet, and Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone, and SanDisk Sansa Clip+ player. My original test for Nexus devices was using Jelly Bean 4.1, I repeated the tests for Jelly Bean 4.21 and saw a significant difference. I updated this review to show the differences between two releases.
I received PowerGen wall charger for testing from the manufacturer to write an honest and unbiased review and you will find both pluses and minuses of my experience in this review.

I am attaching a collage of 5 photos labeled with numbers 1 through 5 that I will be referencing in this review.

The first thing I noticed that this wall charger is fairly small, it takes up only one slot on the extension cord. Photos #1 and #4 show this plug on two different power strips.

The plug has two ports labeled "A" and "NA" which stands for Apple and Non-Apple devices. I own all Android devices but I tested both ports to see their behavior with my devices. The charger comes without a USB cord, so tested it with the USB cords that came with my devices.

I used Battery App to determine how each device recognized the external battery pack. 'AC' status means the charging is at full charging rate. 'USB' status indicates charging at a lower charging rate. 'Discharging' status means that the charging rate is below the power that the device is consuming so it slows down the discharge rate but does not re-charge.

The key findings:
(1) Samsung Galaxy 7.7 cannot be charged with this wall charger with either port
(2) "A" port provides reduced power for some non-Apple devices and does not work for others
*** Update 1/9/2013 ***
Thanks to comment by Ajith Antony I repeated the test with Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.21 and both ports are now charging it at AC rate. The original test which showed poor performance on Apple port was Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.1.
I also retested Galaxy Nexus Phone running CyanogenMod 10.1 version of Jelly Bean 4.21, but it showed no improvement. It still gets only USB charging rate on Apple port.

The table below summarizes my findings:

Nexus 7 Tablet (photo #4 and #5, note that the left port is labeled "A" and the right port is labeled "NA")
--------------
A port -- discharging (Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.1.)
A port -- AC (Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.21)
NA port -- AC

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player
------------------------------
A port -- charged at USB rate
NA port -- charged at AC rate

The behavior with Nexus devices was consistent and good on "NA" port. Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone gets USB rate on Apple "A" port. After upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.21 Nexus 7 gets AC rate on both ports.

The behavior of both Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus plugged in at the same time was the same as when they were plugged in individually. This means if you want to recharge both Nexus 7 Tab and Galaxy Nexus phone at the same time there is only one combination that works:

Nexus 7 Tablet and Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone at the same time
--------------------------------------------------------------
NA port -- Nexus 7 Tablet -- AC rate
A port -- Galaxy Nexus Phone -- USB rate

Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7.7 (running Honecomb 3.2) did not work (was discharging) in both ports.

The MP3 player worked in both ports, but as USB rate in "A" port and at "AC" rate in in "NA" port. When I charge Sansa MP3 with a standard AC charger (photo #3), the MP3 player goes into charging mode, displaying the charging animated icon, the MP3 content is not played. When MP3 was plugged into the PowerGen plug (photo #3) it continued to play the content. I listen to books on my MP3 player so this caused me to move forward in my book and I had to manually reset my position by a few chapters to get back to where I was when I started charging. The positive side of this, is that is possible to continue listening while MP3 is recharging.

To summarize:

I liked:
---------
1. Good behavior with Nexus devices.
2. Solution for MP3 player with built-in battery
3. Can charge two devices (but one at a reduced rate for non-Apple devices)

I did not like:
--------------
1. Did not work with for my Samsung Galaxy tablet
2. For non-Apple devices one port has less power or does not work
3. For non-Apple devices the less useful plug takes up a little extra room

If you own two Apple devices that you want to use with this plug, this is what manufacturer states: The NA port is not designed for Apple device, however, it charges the iPhone at 500mAh. When charge the IPAD and iPhone at the same time, plug the iPhone first (NA port) and then the iPad (A port) to avoid the iPhone report the charger as incompatible.

Overall, after upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.21 this plug has an excellent performance on both ports for Android devices.

Ali Julia review
review image
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was excited to buy this charger because it was cheap and had really good reviews on Amazon. However after receiving it I noticed two important things.

First, it is NOT UL LISTED. This means I can't use it. I won't risk causing a fire - any non-UL charger scares me and should scare you!

Second, it can't charge my iphone and ipad at the same time. Instead the second port is for "non listed devices" - not sure what that means but it's a useless port to me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2014
I plugged my device in to charge, it was resting on my bed. I went back upstairs about an hour later and smelled smoke. The charger had melted to my blanket and was probably minutes away from starting a major fire. I can't post pics of the melted and mangled charger in my review or you could clearly see how bad it was (or could have been!)

DO NOT PURCHASE!!!!!!
on December 2, 2012
This charger does not do what it is advertised to do -- it will not provide adequate amperage to the iPad3 that requires 2.1A.

I've tried this with a variety of cables including the one that comes with the Apple-branded charger that came with the iPad3 and after initially starting to charge, the iPad shows "NOT CHARGING".

The charger gets very hot when attempting to charge, so I don't know if it has a problem or not.

It works okay for charging my iPhone 4S, but I already have plenty of chargers for that -- I need some for my iPad3 & iPad4.

The seller of this charger sent me an email about 2 weeks ago asking me to rate my Amazon experience and I told them about the issue. They said they'd send a replacement but it hasn't arrived. I'll be returning this one for a refund from Amazon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2013
So excited to get this. We live in a world where electronics are all over the house. There is a light that comes on when it's plugged in. It's extremely bright, so put it somewhere that you don't might lighting up. It worked great for about 2 weeks and quit working. I've tried several outlets and I threw it away. Won't be buying another one.