1,125 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for the first three days; broke, then replaced
For the first three days, it was able to charge an iPad, an iPhone,and a Blackberry phone. I was very impressed.

On the third night, the blue light on the front started flickering. By the fourth morning, it was fully dead.

Published 21 months ago by N. Dooley

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud Buzzing Noise and Non-Responsive Customer Service
Published 18 months ago by UCChemE05

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for the first three days; broke, then replaced, November 28, 2012
This review is from: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Travel Wall Charger with Swivel plug - white (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I haven't tried to return it, since the price point is just low enough that it's not really worth the hassle, shipping costs, etc. I just wish I hadn't bought it in the first place.

EDIT: The Powergen customer service folks sent a replacement out promptly and free of charge, and it seems to be working just fine. Upgrading the rating from one star to four.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud Buzzing Noise and Non-Responsive Customer Service, January 31, 2013
To start off with the positives, I used a Kill-a-Watt to measure the current draw while charging with multiple devices. My wife's Ipad 2, her Galaxy S3, my Note 2 and Thinkpad were able to achieve the same charge draw as the original chargers (2 amp for the Ipad, Note and Thinkpad). I originality purchased this unit as I travel quite a bit for work and liked the swivel plug. I was happy with the performance and form factor.

Unfortunately, to the negatives...

1. While the charger is plugged into an outlet but not charging a device, a LOUD buzzing noise is emitted from the charger. I can hear it while the charger is on the floor and I am standing a couple feet away. The sound is similar to a buzzing capacitor that is about to fail. I do not trust leaving the unit plugged in, unattended. I also ordered the black version, it has a similar sound but it is much less intense; I can only hear the noise when my ear is within a 6-12" of the charger. I have what I consider a defective unit which I understand happens but leads to the 2nd negative and the reason for the one star review.

2. I emailed POWERGEN CS regarding the issue and asked for a replacement. I received a response asking which charger had the issue. After multiple follow-up emails I never received another response.

Due to the positives listed above, I would recommend this charger to almost anyone. Unfortunately, due to the lack of customer service I cannot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a couple of months, May 1, 2013
Never thought I'd be writing a bad review, but this charger quit working after only a couple of months. The blue light is off, and it doesn't charge the phone anymore. Too bad!.. It seemed like a nice product, but the quality is not up to par.

1.0 out of 5 stars Detachable Folding Plugin An Undisclosed Design Flaw That Falls Apart in Your Hand, January 26, 2013
-- I'm disappointed with the design of this wall charger. I reviewed the specs carefully before purchase, and after using it, I've no reason to doubt it charges as advertised. However the published specs did not describe the swivel plugin feature as a detachable module that separates from the charger base, presumably to facilitate an undocumented alternate plugin module which is not included. My experience to date shows this feature to have an inherent design flaw that seriously frustrates the overall functionality.

The swivel plugin and base components are intended to lock together internally via a built-in plastic sliding track design. Unfortunately the two components fit so loosely that they routinely fall apart in your hand when attempting to plug into an electrical receptacle-- sometimes causing sparks to fly from a failed insertion.

To avoid this happenstance while inserting the plugin, one must hold the charger with an awkward hand-grip that secures both charger components from sliding apart during the simple exertion of pressing the plugin into a receptacle. An alternate remedy, other than returning the product, is to glue or tape the two parts together.

Of course, customers are not expected to resort to such unorthodox methods after paying good money for any new product. For that reason, plus consideration that PowerGen customers could be better forewarned by more detailed disclosure in the ad description-- I must rate this item only 2 stars.

Update: I replied with this same review to a PowerGen email after my purchase, inviting me to advise them of any problem before posting my review. After 3 weeks without a response, I have adjusted my rating to one star.

--end of review

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, Good Output, Nice Price, November 10, 2012
It's a lot like Apple's iPad charger, but more versatile. Each port is optimized for Apple or non-Apple devices. It will charge your tablets and smartphones at full speed (like the ones that came with your devices). (See Note 1.)

However, it is 62% more bulk than iPad's charger.

If you want a charger that's a little smaller and never blocks other outlets, consider PowerGen's 2.1 Amp dual port wall charger.

PROs:

* Designed for Apple and non-Apple devices
- Full speed charging for a wide variety of devices
- 3.1 Amps available. Charge 2 devices at once
- Fit and finish are good. Feels like quality.
- LED power-on indicator
- Nice price when $10 or less

OKs:

- Bulkier than some chargers (2.6" x 2.0" x 1.1")
- 1 year warranty

CONs:

- Blocks other outlets in some situations (see Note 2)
- Some nit picks (see Note 3)

- - - Alternatives - - -

- PowerGen's 2.1 Amp dual port wall charger
- The black version has a rubbery coating (this white version has a glossy finish).
- Leave a comment if you know of other good alternatives

- - - Disclosure - - -

The manufacturer gave me this product for review. I believe my review is impartial. I usually list competing products in my reviews, but right now I don't see any great alternatives.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Sometimes you need to charge in a hurry. Even if a charger "works with your device" it may be painfully slow. Get one that will charge your devices at full speed (like the one that came with your device). This is not so simple. Product info is often unclear. Reviewers are often unclear.

For starters, the "Amps" need to be high enough. That's usually 1 Amp for smartphones, about 2 Amps for tablets. (A higher amp charger is always OK.)

The messy part is, Apple devices use their own rules to decide charging speed. A designed-for-Apple charger may be slow to charge non-Apple devices, and vice versa, even if its Amp rating is high enough. This PowerGen model has one port of each type.

Note 2: Blocking other outlets. Seems like small thing, but it can be a hassle. Unplugging lamps, alarm clocks, etc. when traveling. This one may annoy once in a while...if the end outlets of a power strip are not available, for example. The non-polarized plugs do provide some flexibility.

Note 3: Nit Picks: If you're spoiled by Apple-perfect design, you might notice... 1. The port labels are a little hard to read. 2. The ports are "upside down" (When the charger is "right side up" you insert your USB plug logo-side down. A lot of devices work this way...not a big deal.)

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, just as advertised!, March 13, 2013
I have no idea what others are complaining about. I tested this guy out yesterday when it arrived. I charged my Ipad3 and iPhone5 at the same time, no problem. They charged at the same speed as they would if I used the original OEM charger that came with both devices. Just make sure to get the ports correct (as described in the item description). I also tested it by charging my iPhone5 and iPhone4S at the same time. Again no problems, charged just as it would in the OEM charger that came with the phones.
Only thing I will comment on is it is true there is a blue light around the ports when its plugged in and charging. I haven't tested it in a dark bedroom while trying to sleep, but I can't imagine it being any more bright than say a bedside alarm clock. Plus I haven't seen a lot of houses or apartments with power outlets at eye level with a bed; so I just can't see it being a problem....although I guess I shouldn't knock college students who just have a mattress on the floor (I was one of those guys)....
I'm am however planning on using this for travel so I'll update it after I use one of the power outlets at a hotel that are located on the bedside lamp (those usually are around eye level or a bit above). If the light bugs me from sleeping, I'll let y'all know. Overall, I'd say grab one of these guys if you're like me and have multiple devices you use daily.

1.0 out of 5 stars it is useless as dual charger , failed to charge iPad3 gen, December 6, 2012
wahed (Los Angeles, CA, US) - See all my reviews
it failed to charge iPad 3rd gen., when you connect two devices, it is only 7.5w , iPhone 5 although did not give any error, 2 hours later and imy phone was at 73%.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sparks every time I plug it in, January 7, 2013
Ben S (Nashua, NH) - See all my reviews
Well, I will start with the good. It charges all of the devices I have attempted in a reasonable amount of time. This ranges from an iPad, Nexus 4, iTouch, and can even do them simultaneously which is one of the main reasons that I purchased it. However, it sparks every time I plug it in, which concerns me as I do not want to start a fire or anything like that. I have tried a number of other wall outlets and it always does the same thing. I can plug in any other device without an issue. I have tried to contact PowerGEN multiple times without the slightest hint of any feedback, so I am left assuming that it is not supposed to do that and is defective.

In addition to that, it makes a fairly audible buzzing noise when it is not actively charging a device. Again, I have no idea if this is expected, since they apparently do not want to respond.

Maybe I'll get around to ordering a replacement to see if I just had a defective unit, but that will have to wait.

1.0 out of 5 stars A non working adaptor, April 25, 2013
A bad product. It did not work and there was no answer whatsoever to my previously rating. How many times do you ask?

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful charger for lots of devices (no Asus Transformer & Nook HD+), April 4, 2013
Inwester (New York Area, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little charger. I bought this specifically so that I can use both USB ports simultaneously while charging iPad in one and another tablet or higher powered device in the 2nd port. Most of the lower powered chargers won't let you do that. The total output is 3.1A (but both ports provide 3.1A, i.e. when 1 is not in use). If you use 1 for charging iPad it uses 2.1A, so that leaves another 1A for other devices. Where as in the lower powered chargers, all you get is 2.1A combined in both USB ports. So if you use 1 port for charging iPad or another high powered tablet/device the second USB port is rendered useless.

So spare an extra 5 bucks and get this (at the time of writing the regular one PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger - White goes for $10 and this is $15). Ideally it should not really cost more than $10, but I think it's a small price when you have a device that costs around $500 (iPad/other tablets). The blue LED light is not very bright and doesn't really bother me at night. I tried charging iPhone and iPad and it charges both very quickly.

Note - The user guide states that this charger DOESN'T work with ASUS TRANSFORMER. I haven't tried it but if you own one you might want to look elsewhere. I've uploaded the user guide which shows specifications and other details; check the customer images for details.

Don't know about the reliability and longevity of this thing, I've only had it for a few days, so I'll update this review in a few months.

Initial rating 4/5

Update - May 9th 2013 - I recently bought a Nook HD+ (9" tablet) and this charger doesn't charge it. I tried both ports and with Nook's USB cable, but it doesn't work. I think the Nook HD+ charger specification is 5V 2.1A and this charger is 4.7-5.3V and upto 3.1A so technically this should've charged it. Not sure if it's because of some other circuit limitation in Nook HD+.

Rating reduced to 3/5 because of that.

Rate and Discover Movies