5.0 out of 5 stars This juicer works perfectly
Published on February 28, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out
First day excited to receive the new PowerGrind Pro Juicer.
First juice Carrot/Apple, worked great, no pulp in juice good color good taste
Second juice was celery/spinach, worked great, no pulp in juice good color good taste
Third juice was tomato, juice color light red indicating air, tasted good but disappointed.
Fourth juice was grapefruit...
Published on December 16, 2011 by HO

5.0 out of 5 stars This juicer works perfectly, February 28, 2012
This review is from: PowerGrind Pro PGP001-WHSL Longevity Electric Juicer (Kitchen)
Unlike many people who write juicer reviews, I am not a long-time juicer. In fact, despite being a graduate of one of the premier culinary schools in America and having worked as a professional chef, I have never juiced anything in my life. A friend who is very much into healthy eating persuaded me to try some of his various juice combinations and after a taste or two I knew I had to have one. Then followed lots of research to find the best choice for my pocketbook and my lifestyle. As a sometime kitchen professional, I have a fondness for "commercial" equipment and so I ended up lusting over a Norwalk. But $2500 for a juicer the size of Wrigley Field with a hydraulic press...too much.

I debated long and hard over centrifugal versus auger or gear driven machines. Now, I should stop here for a disclaimer. I do not drink juice to detoxify my liver or to prevent/treat cancer, heart disease, gallstones, or flat feet. I drink it because I like the taste and because it gets raw fruit and vegetables into my body in a way that has to be healthy. Please, I do not need any Gerson folks or other enthusiasts to comment telling me that I should...you-fill-in. Don't take that as a put-down. I respect the choices people make for their health and, in fact, many juicing enthusiasts are doubtless much healthier than I.

The implication of this is that I don't seek out organic produce unless I can get it cheap, nor do I worry about how much of the good stuff is going to be lost to oxidation if there is foam in the juice. That just isn't who I am.

Because I no longer have a scullery worker to wash up behind my efforts, I wanted something that was easy to clean. Because I enjoy the product a lot more than the process, I wanted a machine that didn't require me to do a lot of food prep. Because I'm not wasteful by nature, I wanted a device that extracted as much juice as possible.

I was drawn to the Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It is hefty stainless steel and you can dump whole apples or beets into it without cutting or chopping. Fast. Easy. But only a one-year warranty, a well-documented tendency to throw food all over the kitchen and considerable commentary about its limited ability to extract maximum juice.

I looked at juicers from Omega, Green Star, Kuvings, Champion, Hurom...the list goes on and on. While they got good reviews, there were also comments about durability, size, speed, and so on.

Something to like and something to dislike about every single model I looked at...including the one I bought.

I chose a lesser-known juicer, the Jay Kordich PowerGrind Pro. The description of the innards is a bit vague, even on Jay's website so let me tell you exactly how it works. In essence, it is a centrifugal juicer. It shreds the fruit and vegetables and spins them against a fine, cone-shaped stainless steel filter, literally slinging out the juice. The difference is that surrounding the shredder disk is a grinding ring maybe 5/16" wide which mates with a similar ring mounted on the top housing. The motor runs at a substantially slower speed than most centrifugals but much, much faster than an auger/gear machine. The produce is shredded and then ground between the two rings, which are positioned just a fraction of a millimeter apart. The result is very dry pulp. After juicing a bag of apples, a couple of pears, ginger, celery, and carrots, I found that I could pick up a handful of the pulp and squeeze really hard yielding only a few drops of unextracted juice. It makes more noise than an auger/gear juicer but a lot less than the Breville, which sounds like a 747 spooling up the engines for takeoff. Cleanup takes me about 3-5 minutes and seems neither more nor less messy than the others I looked at.

OK, here are the pros as I see them:
--Excellent build quality though not a stainless housing like the Breville. The screen and shredder are separate pieces, much sturdier than the Breville. Everything fits together snugly.
--Very dry pulp
--Tolerable noise level
--Easy cleanup in that there are no cracks and crannies to trap wee bits of celery fiber
--Lifetime warranty on the motor and three year warranty on everything else. Not as good as most of the gear/auger machines but better than the one year that Breville offers.
--In contrast to one negative reviewer, I have never bogged it down or stalled it out. You quickly learn the press-release way of working the plunger that is clearly demonstrated on the accompanying DVD. It isn't rocket science; just don't jam stuff in as fast as you possibly can. I got the hang of it after maybe a carrot and a half.
--For those to whom it matters, I see very little foam in the juice. When I juice beets, the juice is dark red and does not appear to be filled with the microbubbles that another reviewer noted.
--The chute for adding produce allows you either to drop it straight down onto the shredder or to insert it at a 45-degree angle. This latter feature prevents the toss-it-back-in-your-face characteristic of the Breville.
--It absolutely does not spurt or splash juice from the spout. If you line the pulp container with a baggie, as recommended, no pulp escapes from the top. A plastic 1-gallon food storage bag works perfectly.
--There isn't much pulp in the juice. I've found no chunks or bits of skin. If you want it perfectly smooth you could filter it through a strainer or a nut bag.
--It handles greens with aplomb. I have not tried wheatgrass but everything else I've fed it has been juiced very satisfactorily.
--The machine and accessories are well packed in a sturdy carton with cushioning foam.
--It is less expensive than most of the auger/gear machines

And the cons:
--The housing is made of plastic. Good quality, substantial plastic that is doubtless perfectly adequate and durable. I just don't like plastic kitchen appliances.
--The motor is noisier than an auger/gear machine. That's an issue for some like my friend who is up and juicing at 0430 while the rest of the house is still fast asleep. I scarcely notice it.
--A wrench is needed (and provided) to remove the shredder disk and filter cone. A minor nuisance, I suppose, but I wish it weren't required.
--You have to prep (cut up) the fruit and heavy vegetables like cabbage before juicing. Carrots, celery, cucumbers can all go in whole, just remember to put the carrots in stem end first.

Things I don't know yet:
--reliability and durability. It is built like a tank, albeit a plastic tank(!) but how it holds up remains to be seen. I am mostly a once-a-day juicer so I expect it to last a good long time.
--Haven't tried making nut milk. That's a project for next weekend. If there is anything unusually good or bad about it, I'll post an update.
--Quality of customer service. Haven't needed any.
--It is more expensive than the Breville

What's in the box:
--The juicer, fully assembled
--Lexan pulp catcher
--Lexan juice pitcher
--Wrench for removing the shredder disk
--Two DVDS, one of instructions, the other of recipes
--A printed instruction manual
--The usual warranty literature

I've found this to be an entirely satisfactory machine. Although, as noted up front, I have no experience with competing brands, I recommend this one without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Juicing Expert Weighs In (Thumbs Up), September 18, 2012
Length:: 7:53 Mins

As the author of the Best Selling Amazon book: Juicing Recipes From Fitlife.TV Star Drew Canole For Vitality and Health...I know a few things about juicers. I've tried each and every one, from Breville to Green Star and Omega and several in between. My first juicer was a Jack LaLanne. And honestly, I like them all.

But the PowerGrind Pro is the juicer I use every single day in my kitchen...and have for the last 6 months.

I've had the amazing pleasure to make juices with Jay Kordich himself...right in my kitchen and have him walk me through every component of the machine. It was quite a trip to have the father of juicing make me several of his favorites. Maybe that makes me a little biased...but I started using the PowerGrind Pro before I met Jay.

I hope this video helps some of you make your decision. But remember, the Best juicer is the one you use. Not the one that sits on your cabinet collecting dust.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out, December 16, 2011
First day excited to receive the new PowerGrind Pro Juicer.
First juice Carrot/Apple, worked great, no pulp in juice good color good taste
Fourth juice was grapefruit disappointed air in the juice
Fifth juice orange, screen was plugged from the grapefruit had to clean screen and still did not get very much juice from the two oranges. Disappointed.
Will post again as I use the juicer more. I juice everyday so will be trying different combo's.
Easy to put together, have to push harder down the feed tube, than a Breville juicer I own. Easy to clean.
Evaluation continues.

UPDATE
2nd day, juiced carrot /apple very good very little pulp, very pleased with this combo
Juiced pomegranate and compared to masticating Juicer I own. Juice lighter in color form the PowerGrind Pro.(air???)About the same amount of juice
Did a test between the two juicer with carrots.
PowerGrind Pro produced more juice and it was pulp free, my other juicer has to be strained to be pulp free. I strained from both juicer but the PowerGrind Pro left very little pulp in the strainer.
The PowerGrind Pro shines with this test.
Found that the guide vein in the plunger is sometimes has material left in it. My brush would not reach it, used a kitchen knife to dislodge the material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Juicer, Excellent Results, November 10, 2011
I have had my Power Grind Pro juicer for about 2 months now and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I purchased it because my friend owns one, and she was always raving about it. I held off on writing my review until now because I wanted to use it for at least a month, to see if any problems came up that I wouldn't see right off the bat. I've been juicing every single day since I have received it and it is as good as new. I've juiced all kind of fruits and vegetables... from apples, carrots, strawberries, watermelons, pineapples with the skin and even nuts. And this juicer has had no problems with any of it. I owned a Hamilton Beach juicer before I got this one, and the difference is like night and day. You can tell that the juice from the Power Grind Pro is much higher quality, just by the pigment. It is sooo rich. I noticed this the first time I juiced carrots. It's very slow, so you can make sure that you're getting all of the nutrients and they're not being spun out of the control by some of the faster juicers. The pulp in the pulp basket is bone dry, which is a big sign that it's really juicing to its full potential. I babysit a lot and the kids love helping me juice, and drinking the juices. The machine overall is very very safe and easy to clean, which was a huge factor for me. The only thing I wish it came with is a brush (which is why I have made it 4 stars and not 5), but I just went to the local Bed Bath & Beyond store and purchased one of those bristle brushes and it works awesome. I have noticed that my skin, hair and overall digestive system is healthier and I have so much more energy throughout the day. I am extremely happy with this juicer, and I am about to purchase another one for a family member for the holidays. It feels good to know that I will be gifting a great product to family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Juicer Review and How-To, July 10, 2012
Length:: 4:37 Mins

Some people in my office have had a little trouble with the juicer, so I made this to help anyone else that may be struggling.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm getting my groove on and becoming One with my Juicer.., February 11, 2012
2/15/2014 - I'm sorry to have to revise my review, but I feel it's important to my readers to give an update when it's this much of a swing in the rating.
In the beginning I was so very thrilled with it and had a lot of experience with juicers and was able to make good first hand comparisons
The experience of using this juicer has been one of great frustration and disappointment. It jams an awful lot and I have to take apart and clean and re-start the process - way too much, and way too often.
On top of that, I called Customer Service over an issue and left a message and did not get a return call.
I paid $389 for the juicer and it's selling now for $100. I love Jay and am grateful for all that he does for us in the health arena and support him in supporting us, but this has been a vast let down. I don't have that kind of money to toss around.
Maybe they will make some good improvements. I hope so.
*******************************************************************************************************

Yes, I know that was a strange subject line, but it really does depict what I'm discovering about my new juicer.
I have been wanting this juicer for some time now. In the past, I've owned a number of juicers - a Samson, a citrus juicer, a Jack LaLanne, and of course, used my Vitamix to juice (straining in a nut milk bag).
I am not new to juicing at all, and had resigned myself to knowing that NO JUICER does it all and this is why many people end up becoming multi-juicer families (like multi-car families)! I didn't want that!
After researching, reading, blogging, and re-reading every single review here on Amazon, I really had high hopes for the PowerGrind Pro so as my Jack LaLanne juicer was nearly the end of its time,I vowed that I would get the PowerGrind Pro with my tax return.
And I think I have found the juicer that really DOES do it all. What a joy! It does my greens - most importantly - and does everything that I juice regularly. And this morning I made almond milk - without having to strain in a nut milk bag. Using the nut milk bags with my Vitamix was really growing old.
But, I think what has been the biggest revelation was watching one of Jay Kordich's YouTube videos on orange juice. He's right. I've never, ever before had orange juice like this. He's right - everything else is orange water. This orange juice comes out like cream and has a flavor unlike anything I've ever tasted before. Impressive.
Now..onto the subject line. I think many people make the mistake of using the PGP the same way they would with a centrifugal like the Breville, Jack, etc - by shoving the produce in and expecting it to loudly whirr like a buzz saw and out spurts the juice. This machine is different. It's unique and it's a whole different animal, even though it seems a lot like the others. It's not. It wants slow, gentle action, allowing it to do it's thing..and like dance partners, you'll know when it's ready to put the next item in. I had to 'get my groove on' and become 'one with my juicer'.
And I'm glad I did. We're good partners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, then increased amounts of pulp., January 27, 2012
New Juicer arrived today! I have been using an old Juiceman I had got at a garage sale for $10. My hubby started to make his own juices and broke 2 pieces off of it.
So... the research began. I finally found one that I was impressed by the engineering. It is the Power grind hybrid Juicer by Jay Kordich. Wow am I impressed. There is very little pulp and what is there is very dry. The amount of juice that I was about 2x as much as I got from my old juicer. I had a handful of spinach, a few kale leaves, 3 small carrots and one small green apple and it produced 8oz of juice.
They advertise that the juice is better because of how the fruit, veggie gets cut slower then pushed through gears. I actually can say it really does taste better. I had done a mini watermellon this morning (old juicer) and then did the other half this afternoon with new juicer( actually there was so much juice from it I didn't do the whole 1/2). It was amazingly sweeter, even after it had sat cut open for part of the day.
The clean up was easy, one extra part and actually the basket was easier the clean than my old machine.
Highly recommend!
Update: Juicer was amazing at first. Now more and more pulp in my juice and I have to stop to clean it often. Considering returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This juicer is better than higher priced juicers! Stands up to the Norwalk., December 12, 2011
I can't say enough good things about this juicer.
We juice CONSTANTLY. Some days we make up to 20 cups of juice.
The technology of this juicer is far superior to anything in its price class and even higher. I had previously used a Norwalk juicer which costs $2500.00. (No I did not add too many zeros). The Norwalk, I'm sure, is a great juicer, but I never liked using it. My walls were covered with juice. The cleaning took forever. And I always felt like there was so much produce still in the chute that you just couldn't push through. It was HUGE and HEAVY. And sounded like a jet engine.
The Powergrind Pro is easy to clean. Takes me about 10-15 minutes. The pulp is bone dry and there is nothing left in the chute. It juices EVERYTHING! So it's economical. There is no foam, the juice isn't warm, so I know nutritionally the enzymes are in tact.
The design of the 2 chutes is great. No bits are ever blown out while you juice. If this happens, you must be doing something wrong.
There is a learning curve here. If you read the one negative review, the juicer will bind up if you put too much in the chute and try to force it, or press to hard on the pusher. So, make sure you read ALL the instructions. And there are some videos on Youtube which are very helpful.
Their customer service is awesome as well.
I hated using the Norwalk, so I had stopped juicing for several months. Now I juice every day. I even bought a second one as a spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions comparing to the Juiceman II, February 19, 2012
Amazon Customer (Minnetonka, MN USA) - See all my reviews
My wife and I recently rediscovered juicing through the documentary video "Fat, Sick and Almost Dead." This prompted us to pull out our aged Juiceman II. After nearly 20 years, it still works as it did when we first got it. However, being the upgrade geek that I am, I began looking at the market for newer technologies. After looking at the Breville lines, I began a search for Juiceman. I came across Jaykordich.com and it was like finding an old friend. While Jay is no longer associated with the marketing company that sells products under the name of Juiceman, he has started a new business and this product is the flagship.

I echo the comments of many people who rate this product very high here. I would just like to add that we found as differences between the PowerGrind Pro and are Juiceman II. The first impression was promising, but the amount of plastic in the product raised initial concerns (so far totally unjustified). I won't bother to go into writing a play-by-play account of the differences between the device physically. The difference of the juice is what is most apparent. The older device generated a great amount of foam making carrot-apple juice. Additionally, the juices separated quickly which caused us to use atir sticks or celery stalks just keep mixing our juice as we drank it. I am thrilled to report the PowerGrind Pro generates a juice that is much smoother, creamier, less likely to separate, and with practically no foam. We haven't tried the grinder feature yet.

We obtained our juicer directly from Jaykordich.com since they had a 30 day trial program availabile. After the first few days, we are pretty convinced will be keeping it.

So if you are like me, an owner of a Juiceman II, wondering what the benefits of these new devices are, rest assured that at least in this case there are benefits for the upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the most out of your food and JUICE!, November 10, 2011
I have had this juicer about three months and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! The Power Grind Pro is a powerhouse and gets every drop of juice out of everything. I had a juiceman which lasted about 5 years. I anticipate this one to last longer. More juice means I'm getting more for my money out of the produce I buy and produce is not free. I use my juicer daily and the previous white juicer turned orange pretty early and stayed that way. The Power Grind looks more professional and works more professional. I know it's dark color will hide any potential staining so I can leave it on the counter which helps remind me to juice for my own health. My kids love it and are actually looking forward to eating vegetables in juice form. Woo Hoo. My husband an I follow the juice guide to help raise our alkalinity. I'm not old enough to remember Jay, he has quite a you tube following but his nutritional advice is totally down to earth and I'd love for us to look that good and healthy into our 80's. Wow. Oh, one more thing I keep it next to the sink so there's no real mess because I just rinse it out when I'm done and the carroty pulp in particular makes great flour substitute for carrot cake, muffins and pancakes! Juice is super fresh and yummy tasting PLUS juice is really good for you! Get one you'll be glad you did.

[...]