Canon PowerShot SX20IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch Articulating LCD (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $119.99
Canon PowerShot SX20IS Lens add-ons? Is the Canon PowerShot SX20IS threaded for lens attachments? Whats the size in mm?
asked by 'Zon Customer on September 1, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 75 answers
A
I own this camera, it accepts 52mm filters. I have a HOYA 52mm UV[0] on mine right now. Depending on what type of filters you get, you may need a new lens cap than the one that is supplied (I did)
atimbomb answered on September 9, 2009
Comment | 11 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ok, for all of you who actually own this camera ( Canon SX20IS ) as I do. This is what you need: Lensmate sells a filter adapter that that connects onto the camera in the same place that the included lens hood connects. You will not be able to use this lens hood while you are using the adapter. Lensmate sells a neoprene lens hood to replace the original, if you want a hood. The adapter will allow you to thread 58mm lens filters onto your camera. You will also need to purchase a 58mm lens cap, as the included cap will not fit onto 58mm filters. I own the camera, the lens adapter from Lensmate, 58mm filters and a 58mm lenscap. These components all work very well together. I am dissapointed in several of the earlier posts that offer solutions when they clearly do not own or have ever held this camera. Why anyone would consider forcing or cutting threads and risk ruining the camera is beyond me. The adapter is less than $20 and filters can be as cheap or expensive as you like.
Max Tucker answered on January 2, 2010
Comment | 14 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
What you are seeing are GROOVES, NOT threads!!!
The grooves are parallel and not spiral.
Anyone who has threaded a filter or lens to the SX10is Or SX20is have tapped their own threads onto the grooves.
Although, this may work for a while, after a few changes, the rigged threads will soon wear out and become buggered up.

There are some 3rd party adapters that are slotted the same as the hood for filters, but attaching heavy lenses will soon wear out the internal lens mechanism.
G. Baynham answered on October 8, 2009
Comment | 12 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Canon says that the SX20IS lens is not threaded and Lensmateonline is selling the same filter adapter for the SX20IS as they have been selling for the SX10IS. Perhaps My Thoughts will elaborate on how his/her camera accepts filters.
Steven Perry answered on September 10, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes Lensmate sells adapter for Canon SX Models.It's held on by the two horns for the shade hood and accommodation for 58mm filter... that's it.
If you want to mount to a telescope theirs several fixtures that allows you to mount the fixture onto the adjustment eye piece on a refractor type telescope,then the camera mounts to the fixture. "BUT" if you accidentally hit "ZOOM" the lens slams into the eye piece jamming the lens or breaking the mechanism. It can be done Orion sells the adapter,but their culmsee
Tin Man answered on October 20, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
yes you are right, they are grooves, not threads and hence wont last too long by adding filters and adding another lens is just crazy. but stupid of canon not to have supplied a proper thread for filters on this model.
S. Blick answered on October 31, 2009

A
Apparently you can force a 52mm on. My 52mm filter was very tight going on, so i removed it and saw that I was indeed "tapping" the grooves and cutting threads into them. Your choice: cut the grooves with a filter or buy an adapter.
Traveling the world answered on November 30, 2009

A
On a business trip to NY my husband stopped in at B&H Photo to find a UV filter for the SX20 IS. They tried both 58mm and 52mm in all brands and nothing fit. I found online an adapter from Lensmate (http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html). Great discussion on attaching filters. Has anyone purchased this and what's your recommendation.
V. W. Corson answered on November 25, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just use a good tripod... set any of the SX models on manual... and ISO 80 shutter on timer 3--5 shots open up the F stop and time the shutter at 3-10 seconds and just play with it... adjust your light meter for day light... tugnsten gets a blue moon... it's digital no film to waste. Once you fine the sweet spot then you will know the next time you go out.. But a good tripod is a must.. SILK DX700 72 inch height has a pan head.. but the ball head will work on it......
Tin Man answered on October 20, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I still don't get it.

DO I or DON'T I need to buy a lens adapter to use a UV filter in this camera?!
Different people are saying totally different things.
Some say you can thread a 52 mm filter directly into the camera, others say you need to buy an adapter and a 58mm filter.
I and all other people reading this thread would be very thankful if some compassionate soul would clarify this important topic for us once and for all.

Thank you!
I. Schmidt answered on November 29, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next ›

See all questions about this product