5.0 out of 5 stars Canon SX 50 HS comments
Published 14 months ago by Suzanne

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera OK, accessory kit not.
The camera seems fine, but the kit is of almost no value except for the battery. The kit comes with two tripods. Both flimsy little things that are absolutely not useable with this camera when the telephoto lens is extended. I wish I had bought the extras separately myself and gotten things that really work.
Published 13 months ago by CB

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon SX 50 HS comments, June 21, 2013
Suzanne (Georgia, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 50x Optical IS Zoom + NB-10L Battery + 9pc Bundle 32GB Deluxe Accessory Kit (Electronics)
Camera is wonderful and easy to use for us non-professionals. We've been taking bird pictures and were getting excellent zoom photos by Number 77 (baby Robin). Then we got really good close ups of Ospreys on their nest. I was happy to have bought the bundle because we didn't really know what was best. For example, we wanted a tripod and received three (big, small, and one with flexible legs.

The tripod we like the best is short, intended for table top use, but is the easiest for us to use even when hand held. I like the gimbal mount and there is less motion when starting and stopping.

The camera case is superb and has plenty of room for accessories but is easy to carry.

We had no idea of what kind of SD card to buy and the one included, Sony SD HC 32 GB 40 ms/s, is working perfectly.

We really must stop and read the entire instruction manual. The hardcopy "fast start" is good enough to begin with.

I hope (some rainy day) to read carefully the .pdf version. I'm sure it contains much valuable information.

Would we buy it again? "You betcha".

PS Took a picture of deer last night in our backyard - it was dark but photo still came out.
We are off to take pictures of Big Blue Herons. They are nesting on an island in the Savannah River.
Wish there was a place to add a couple photos - they tell a better story than I can write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Buy!!, April 28, 2013
I bought this camera because of the zoom! Boy was I happy and surprised. Not to mention all the neat features that are on this camera. There is so much you can do. The company I purchased from did a great job with the packaging and all the extras were great as well. I went to a mlb game and was able to zoom out to the outfield clearly from field level a couple of rows behind third base line. It's a great point and shoot camera and many options to bring out your artistic side. I would recommend to anyone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter camera, October 12, 2013
I've had this camera for almost three months. I use it almost daily to photograph birds and other wildlife, for the most part.

Pros: The 50x optical zoom is, by far, the best feature of this camera. Subjects that are far away can be viewed by simply pulling back on the lever that's attached to the shutter button. The zoom can be set, in the camera functions, to use or not to use the digital zoom that will push the zoom range to 200x. Not a good choice for picture-taking, though, as the subject gets blurry and pixelated by doing that, but it's helpful in some situations.The zoom function out performs my binoculars, so i don't have to lug those around any more.

The camera is fairly lightweight so the strap doesn't wear a rut into your neck, even when carrying the camera around for several hours.

This camera is programmable. It lets you select your favorite settings and save them to use at other times, or you can use the Auto function, letting the camera select what it thinks are the best settings for the shot.

You can shoot in .jpg, RAW or both.

Takes pretty good pictures when the subject isn't too close or too far away. I have taken pictures of birds that were 100 yards away that came out clear. Not professional quality, and they required some intensive editing, but clear enough to be able to identify the birds.

The bundle came with several accessories, a few of which are very nice to have, such as a 32GB memory card, an extra battery, a wall charger, carrying case and a lens cleaning kit. The other accessories I haven't had much use for yet are the two table-top tripods, memory card wallet, a 50" tripod, lens protector sheets and the USB connector.

Cons: The camera is slow to focus on the subject in the center of the screen. It likes to focus on the closest object it sees, so when the intended subject is not the closest, you have to push the the shutter button half way multiple times in order for it to finally focus on your target. This isn't helpful when you're trying to photograph a fast moving bird. You can lose your shot in a spit second because the camera wouldn't focus on what was in the center of the viewing area.

Good photos are possible when good lighting is available.

There is a long delay between the time that you push the lever on the shutter button before the lens will retract. I've found that it's faster to turn the camera off.

Setting the manual functions is confusing and frustrating. The programming menu is difficult to navigate.

Macro shots are not possible, even while using the macro setting. The camera will not focus on subjects closer than about 4 feet in front of you.

Poor picture quality in low-light settings. The pictures are grainy.

The camera goes through batteries pretty quickly. If you're going to do a day's worth of shooting, you'll need a second or possibly a third battery.

Overall: This is a good starter camera for anyone wanting to learn how to use a camera with lots of bells and whistles. The price is fair for the quality of this camera. Learning to use the camera can be a challenge, but it can be mastered with practice and reading the manual (on CD) over and over. The bundle is a nice, easy way to get the extra items that you will use. One thing I would like to have that is not included is a UV filter for the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, May 11, 2013
I am an avid nature enthusiast and am astounded in how clear the images and video are coming out. I am not one for sitting down to read the full manual and practice with focusing and the like. I took the camera out of the box, charged the battery and ventured into the forest. So far I have been able to film up to 5 minutes of a wood thrush singing high up in a lob lolly pine where you see his beak and throat movements from afar. The next great moment happened near a swamp where I filmed up to 4 minutes of a where a water moccasin was, on the hunt for food. It body was clearly defined as it swam on the surface of the brackish waters, zig zagging its way through lily pads and duck weed. That forked tongue was in and out constantly and the camera picked up those fragmented moves clearly. I did not stay long enough to see who the unfortunate victim was however.

You know you have made a good purchase when you equally as excited about seeing the video as you the purchase. The equipment package that came with the came but the only thing I have used in this kit is the tall tripod. The tripod itself suits the moment but feels cheap. It is fine for my use at the point but I am sure that as the hobby grows, so will the knowledge of related products.

The camera itself is around 350 but I bought total kit for around an extra 100. The kits meets all of my initial needs for now. 350 if very reasonable for a camera such as this. The Canon reliability is also a proven in our household (we have 3 canon power shot shot camera that we use for those instant moments just to capture simultaneous events of the day and they too are stellar).

Give it a try...if you have even a basic knowledge you can be out in minutes capturing those miraculous wonders of the natural world. Hint...if you get creeped by the forest, then practice on floral designs instead. This capture I am sure when serve equally as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I JUST LOVE THIS CAMERA !, June 20, 2013
The price was GREAT and it came with accessories that you wouldn't have gotten in the store ! The zoom feature is OUTRAGEOUS ! I felt like I was doing undercover surveillance !

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera OK, accessory kit not., July 28, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 26, 2013
Great camera. It's zooms in like I wanted. Was a little disappointed in the camera tripod, but that is miner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera, March 17, 2013
very happy with this camera and accessories that came with it. I am a novice but can use this camera very well

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, June 24, 2013
very nice according to its price , it isn't comparable with professional ones
but its fast & have many options , the package is very helpful and amazing .
the zoom is amazing (50X)

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot SX50 HS digital camera, November 1, 2013
I like the camera well enough, particularly the zoom. I do find the buttons a bit close together, so I tend to push them by accident. This may be because I am left handed. I also like the way the camera functions in low light.

Rate and Discover Movies