on May 27, 2014
I was really worried that this was going to be a waste of money, but it was on sale and I thought, "Why not?" I was going camping, in a yurt, that I had to hike to, in snowshoes, 2.5 miles just to get to. Keeping my equipment load light was a must, but I needed my tablet both to a) read books, my principle leisure activity, and b) get some work done while on vacation to keep my boss happy.

I preloaded the charger in a wall outlet, that took about two hours. After that, I just left it in a sunny spot. It kept three smartphones, a sat phone, and two tablets active, under heavy usage, on the side of a mountain. We didn't have running water and had to poop in a hole, but dammit we had working apple products! When my friends and I left the mountain, the charger had 4/5 bars still!

I love it. I keep it in my back pack (yay being a scientist, backpacks are totally professional!) Whenever I need a quick charge for something, I plug it in and boom! charged device. Just leave it in a window, even a tinted window, to charge itself.

I highly recommend this product. It's sturdy, performs exactly as advertised, and is reasonably priced. It's useful on both the side of the mountain (though it can do nothing for you when you now-former-buddy drops the TP in the snow), as well as in the busy life of a professional on the go.
---------------------------------------------
Update: So I read some of the 1 and 2 star reviews, and I have comments on the comments. To get best use out of the device you should:
tl;dr - read the instruction manual

1) Pre-load the charge in a wall outlet. I charged it once on AC/DC and now just top it off in the sun. No problems. People seem to complain about how long it takes to fully load the battery in just sun. The device's instruction manual tells you to first fully charge it from a wall outlet - follow the instruction manual. I did and I have had zero problems.

2) Keep it charged. Once again, the instruction manual says don't let the battery empty out. Also, who doesn't know that if you don't use a modern computer device, e.g. smartphone, laptop, etc., and just let the battery run down and leave it off that its battery is damaged? Same applies here. When it's not in use, just leave it on your window ledge. When I remember, I stick it in the window at work, maybe once a week, and the battery is always fully charged or close.

3) It comes with short little nubby cables to charge things with. I've never used them. The powerpak has a USB and a micro-USB female plug. Use your own cables. It doesn't come with a nubby iPhone 5 cable, but that's not listed in the description or shown in the product pics. Plus, I repeat, use your own cables. I tested nubby versus original. All devices power faster and deplete less energy from the powerpak when you use their native cables.

4) It doesn't pull in charge as fast as most smartphones and tablets will drain it. And it isn't designed to work from an empty charge (instruction manual). Keeping the battery in sun while you charge your device will mitigate charge depletion, but the output is still greater than the input. Act accordingly. Common sense, don't leave your device plugged in once fully charged. Let the battery fill up again. Rotate devices through the charger unless it's an emergency. It's a solar cell, it doesn't work as quickly or as strongly as chemical redox charge batteries.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon August 10, 2013
I have reviewed several different power banks over the year, but none of them had a built in solar panel. The solar chargin option is attractive for when I am camping, hiking or even on a boat. Having the option to use a conventional 5V mini USB or sunlight is an attractive feature... but remember even in direct sunlight it would take many hours to fully charge a 7200mAh power bank. Due to the time it would take to fully charge many people use the solar panel to help augment the output of the battery... meaning that when you are charging your smartphone/table/device you can use the sunlight to help assist the internal battery.

Notes

- The max input from the monocrystalline solar panel is 5V at 180mA ... while I have not done the math it does mean that it will take over 24 hours (of sun light) for the powerbank to fully charge.

- It can be charged even on a cloudy day, but it will not charge under a normal household light

- The PowerADD has one 5V 1A output which can charge smarphones to tablets

- Comes with 4 charging tips - a 30 pin tip for Apple products, a PSP (or so I am assuming) tip, and both micro and min USB tips (The mini USB tip is also used for charging the PowerADD through a convention USB power source).

- Provides 7200mAh of capacity - which is enough to charge and iPhone 3 times and provide about a 90% charge to an iPad 2

- Does not come with a carrying case

- The solar panel does make it a little larger than a comparable 7200mAh external battery pack - but in my opinion it is an acceptable compromise

- You must hold the power button for 3 full seconds in order to turn the unit on and off (I mention it...because at first I struggled trying to turn it on).

Final verdict - While business travelers may prefer smaller non-solar options in their powerbanks it is easy to see why people who like the outdoors would choose the PowerADD 7200mAh Powerbank. Just remember that even in full sunlight it will charge the powerbank at about 1/5th the speed of a 5V 1A power source.

4 1/2 Stars

Please Note - I received this product in exchange for an unbiased review
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I own a laboratory instrument that can test batteries for mAH capacity. I fully charged this item and then tested it at 750mA. It came up with 6,840 instead of the published 10,000. I repeated the full charge and ran the test with 450 milliamps drain. It then finished at 6,850 mAH. Not bad for a relatively small unit, HOWEVER, not the specs the seller has stated. I will discuss this with them and post any additional information or progress I make. Not even 70% of rated specs is really not acceptable.
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2014
After testing/using this item for 2 weeks. I found that this power charger will not reach a full level 4 charge with its solar panels. Even after 4 days of strong (Miami, FL) direct sunlight, only a level 2 is reached. The charger will only reach a full level charge when connected to a USB power source, and it only took a few hours to do so using this USB source.

I did like the design and the adapters and connectors set.

Item is being returned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I posted on the dismal performance of this "solar powered" power supply, the Poweradd's company sent me the same model *for free*, so I could try it a bit more and hopefully have a better report after studying it.

This time I connected it to my iPad and fully charged it, something which depleted the gizmo to zero charge (all four lights were out) and then placed it under Miami Beach's strong daylight for hours and hours, and hours and hours - the solar panel charger never went beyond a single blinking light - it is supposed to reach 4 blinking lights when it achieves a full charge. So, NADA, not even a hint of charging via the solar panels.

So my question remains - why is this company selling this as a solar panel charger when the panels cannot achieve ANY charging of the battery within the block-cells. with strong sunlight. I waited 48 to 72 hours for the pack to charge to the max level of 4 but it never achieved ANY charging, not even to level 1 out of 4. This renders the charging block useless. I will be telling Powewradd to send me a pre-paid mail label to return it since I have no use for it, particularly during my long camping trips out to the great wilderness. This is truly a useless gizmo with deceptive claims

My search continues for something which will REALLY charge fully and effectively, ad rather quickly, with the sun rays .... The Poweradd is definitely not the one!

Some people have asked if I charged it to full before doing anything else. The answer is YES, I did so several times and after that was never able to get a solar charge, no even one bar of charge. This was my SECOND unit to try, and it also failed miserably. What are the chances that I got two defective units? Probably but very unlikely.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2013
This worked great! I took it backpacking and hooked it to my pack. I used my iPhone GPS app to track my progress. That night in camp I recharged my iPhone and was able to track my hike the next day. The thing stayed fully charged the whole time. I would recommend it to anyone.
on December 7, 2014
I originally bought this item along with a charger bank to have something that I could charge while on the go but no able to get near sunlight. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that this charger can charge with the sun, via outlet AND is a power charger bank! Score! It was fully charged right out of the package and I was able to charge my iPhone three times as well as my kindle once (kindle requires a LONG charging time). I am so happy with this item. My sons' saw this when I was using it and hinted around that they wanted one of these for Christmas. LOVE that I can charge my electronics several times before needing to recharge. Very handy in an area where ice storms will wipe out our electricity for days on end.

3-3-2015: I have had this charger for a few months now and wanted to give an update. I took the charger on a couple of trips involving long delays and connections at airports. Some of the airports had minimal opportunities to charge up my devices and those that did have outlets, were all being used by other travelers. I had previously charged my charger so I new it was full. I was able to curl up in a corner and charge my iPhone and my kindle with no problem. When I did board the plane, I got a window seat and was able to take advantage of the sunlight streaming in through the window. This isn't a real big charge but rather a "trickle" charge but it is better than nothing and won't run down the battery as quickly. I have attached a picture showing my charger in the sunlight. I have even seen this solar charge itself on overcast days. Very handy to have.
review image
on April 29, 2014
I'm a design engineer and have designed numerous circuits much more complex than this. The device has at least two serious design flaws -

(a) It's internal timer shuts off the laptop charging output after a few minutes after the first time it is connected; I had to restart the charger, and

(b) This 23000mAH fully charged unit sank to near-zero charge after it charged my 5100mAH Lenovo laptop battery to barely 35% -- charging efficiency is ridiculously low!

Also, Lenovo laptops are usually spec'd at 20V input whereas this charger is spec'd at 19V. This will also contribute to problems like the above.

I would not recommend this for laptops that use higher voltages than 12V because of the (b) symptom. Sending it back to Amazon.

******** UPDATE May 16, 2014: OPEN BRIBING BY COMPANY **********

I received an email from the supplier today, relevant parts copied below:

"... we would like to send you an adjustable tripod stand as compensation.
Here is the link for your reference:

Would you like to accept this offer and kindly help to remove your previous feedback? "

It is disturbing how ethical values have dipped where companies are openly offering bribes to customers. Based on this, I am downgrading their rating from 2 stars to 1.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2014
I received this charger and it looked good, but I never actually tried it because I really only needed it for camping trips. When I went to try it for the first time I noticed that although the battery held a charge fine, it would not charge any external devices. I tried multiple USB cables and phones / tablets and nothing.

I contacted the seller about replacing it and was told since I had bought it more than 30 days ago, I could only get a pro-rated refund. Apparently the "12 months worry-free product guarantee for every purchase from Poweradd" doesn't mean they'll actually get you a working product. This seems to be a rebranded product offered by multiple sellers so I would recommend purchasing it from someone with a better warranty and hope you get lucky with a functional unit.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2014
As I mentioned, I had issues w/ the charge. I've been emailing POWERADD directly, and they have not responded. The website said that it would take an hour for a response, but NO RESPONSE! I even sent 2 messages about asking for a return, so I can have it fixed and/or replaced. Very disappointed!
on April 30, 2014
This solar backup charger worked well for 2 months. It died. This product can be used only a few times.