Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

• Customer Reviews

on October 13, 2009
I was looking for a good rechargeable battery with at least 2000 mAh. I decided to buy eight each of the following three types of batteries:

Duracell DC1500B4N Rechargeable AA NiMH Batteries (2650 mAh)
Powerex AA 2700mAh Rechargeable NiMH Batteries (2700 mAh)
Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (2000 mAh)

I'm posting this same review for all three batteries.

I also bought a La Crosse BC-9009 battery charger (which, apart from the manual, is quite excellent). This charger gives you the option to test battery capacity, so I used it on the 24 batteries that I bought. Granted, a sample space of 24 batteries is quite small, but it's good enough.

The Duracells came in at 1547, 1399, 951, 2200, 2220, 2180, 940 and 905 mAh for an average of 58% of rated capacity (avg. 1543 mAh / 2650 mAh).

The Powerex came in at 2620, 2560, 2570, 2630, 2440, 2470, 1318 and 1053 mAh for an average of 82% of rated capacity (avg. 2208 mAh / 2700 mAh).

The Sanyos came in at 1940, 1867, 1931, 1961, 1856, 734, 1786 and 1895 mAh for an average of 87% of rated capacity (avg. 1746 mAh / 2000 mAh).

Although the Sanyos 87% is better than the Powerex's 82%, the powerex comes out better from a cost perspective. The Duracell's were not even in the running.

In September 2009, for 8 batteries, the Duracells cost me $22.22, the Powerexs cost me $25.98 and the Sanyos cost $24.41.

Based on this, the Powerex's cost $1.47 per Ah. The Sanyo's were $1.74 per Ah and the Duracells were $1.80 per Ah.

Given all this, I'd say the Sanyo's were decent, the Duracell's were losers, but when I need more batteries I'll stick with the Powerexs.
88 comments119 of 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
Great batteries to replace the stock ones and they can charge in the battery charger as well which i found convenient. Noticed a big difference in power and longer battery life. i would reccomend to any mflb owner who wants to get more out of there vaporizer and cant go wrong with price either!
1212 comments172 of 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2009
These Powerex AA rechargeables are the best I've tried.

I've tried several different brands of NiMH AA batteries (Delkin @ 2900 mAH, Power2000 @ 2500 mAH, La Crosse @ 2600 mAH, Duracell @ 2650 mAH, and DigiCam @ 1800 mAH). I use the La Crosse BC-900U charger on all of them so that I can see to what capacity they can be charged to, and even the La Crosse batteries that came with it can't be charged up to their own stated capacity. Duracell and Delkin both had a dud in each 4-pack of AA batteries. For all five manufacturers, the fully charged capacities of their AA batteries never exceeded about 80% of their stated capacities. None ever came close to a "full charge'. There was always at least one in each pack (excluding the dud in each pack) that would only charge up to about 50-60% of capacity, which would lead to a premature "Low Battery' shutdown of my camera.

The Powerex on the other hand, all charged to 95%+ of their rated 2700 mAH capacities and really last!.
88 comments72 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2008
I've been using various Powerex batteries to run my power-hogging Minolta Dimage 7Hi since 2002, and in that time have occasionally tried some other rechargables... not a single other rechargeable has come close to delivering the output of the Powerex's.

My most recent purchase was two 4-battery sets of the 2700 mAH versions, and they have been just superb.
Not many people know that it is recommended to recharge your batteries every month to keep up their capacity and if this is not done the performance can degrade.

Even excellent rechargeables wear out, but you can expect a couple of years of great results from these, highly recommended for high-demand digital cameras.

In this time, my original Maha MH-C204F charger has provided faithful service and is still working fine. If I were getting into the rechargable game now I'd go for the MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger, because it treats each cell individually instead of in pairs.

Glad to see Amazon is finally offering Powerex.
33 comments70 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2008
I am a wedding and portrait photographer, so I am always on the lookout for long-lasting, quick recycling rechargeable batteries. I have tried Lenmar, Wewin, Calumet and Energizer batteries for my strobes and the Powerex have outperformed them all. In particular, when charged in a Maha charger, these puppies will last! You can't go wrong with Powerex.
0Comment57 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2006
I own the 2200 and 2300 series batteries and love love LOVE them! They are inexpensive and last seemingly forever.

Last year I helped document a project my classroom was doing for Very Special Arts. I charged up batteries and brought a spare set for just in case. I took over 1000 pictures and filled up my memory card before I ran out of juice in the first set of batteries. The other camera used to document this project ended up being the secondary camera because they kept having to stop to recharge the battery.

Because of how reliable these batteries have been I have started basing electronic purchases on if they take AA or AAA batteries or not. I have saved a lot of money because I don't have to buy spare stock batteries. I have 18 Powerex batteries that I use over and over for the past 2 years and haven't had any problems with them.

The charger is simple to work and holds the batteries to charge better than other rechargers I have owned. There is a feature to discharge the batteries should you need to do so.

I can't begin to imagine how much I would have spent on regular batteries had I not gotten these.
0Comment38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2013
They are quite useful for the first ~2 years and provide a higher capacity than most alternatives. Even with premature failures still a WAY better deal than non-rechargeables.

They seem to have longevity issues. Their lifespan seems to be around 2 years. At some point around 18 to 30 months of regular use they began to cause low voltage issues. This was due to them no longer properly charging properly. None have come close to the realm of 250+ charge/use cycles before failure. None registered past 2375 mAh of capacity at that point in time (reading from C9000 refresh cycle).

I'll speculate that I'm one of the few people who has provided much feedback on a ~2-3 year old purchase. I purchased 36 of these batteries between mid-2010 and early 2011. I also purchased Maha's C9000 and C800 chargers and these batteries have never been charged in any other charger. About 18 months ago I started having sporadic, then increasingly common, under-voltage issues on a variety of devices. Most at issue was the vertical control grip of my Nikon D700, which would simply drop out as a power source very early in its use. I ran form, refresh, and condition scenarios on them and came to the conclusion that about 12 of them would only register "HIGH" on the C9000 charger. no effort to coax them back into use was effective and was candidly a wasted effort, unjustified in the value of my time. It's now mid-2013 and I've gradually ditched a few more of them (due to "HIGH" on the C9000 charger) over time and am down to 16 of them that will hold a 2200-2375 mAh for a relatively short period of time (days). They aren't worth the time or concern anymore and I've ordered replacements, switching to the Eneloops which are credited with having a longer lifespan and substantially better shelf life. I'm just not into making sure that everything has been charged within 48 hours before heading out the door. Some research online will confirm that many have experienced similar relatively short lifespans from these cells. If you'll be satisfied with 2 or MAYBE 3 years of utility from them then they are a good purchase.

- Update 10/10/13 - I've trashed them all at this point. Not one is of any use.
99 comments30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2007
I purchased 4 packages of these batteries to use in my electronic flashes at a wedding. One set of charges AA batteries got over 300 flashes on my Nikon SB-600. This is over double the expected number of flashes that are expected according to the Nikon owners manual. These batteries are the best NiMH batteries I have ever used (and I've been purchasing many brands over the years.) They also have an excellent shelf life which I have never seen in other brands of NiMH batteries. In short, if you need rechargeable AA batteries, just buy these. You won't be sorry.
0Comment34 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
Trust me, there is NOTHING better than these 2700 mah batteries for high discharge rate devices like camera flashes. As a wedding photographer, four of these last me through an entire wedding shoot, including indoor reception. That is about 800 pictures with fill flash and flash as the primary! I have read forums for hours and hours and this is the conclusion of others as well.

As a pro, label all your batteries and use them together - dont mix and match old with new. After a year of use buy new ones for your flashes and use the old ones for whatever consumer devices need a great rechargeable.

A MUST: Buy the BC-900 charger and do a discharge/charge cycle (at 1000mah, always try to set charge amps at half capacity of battery) to test your batteries on purchase and regularly thereafter. The last batch of these only tested at 1200 mah (which was very strange) so I returned them directly.

NOTE: these have a high self discharge rate so charge them the night before and let them trickle charge overnight before use the next day. If you need a battery to sit for a month in between uses (like a digital camera), then get SANYO eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries and don't look back.

NOTE: these are HEAVY and a tiny bit wider than your average AA battery. In Vivitar 285 flashes they are stuffed tight into the battery compartment and are difficult to remove.

ENJOY!
11 comment20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2009
I run a production business and use a lot of mobile power. I put 24 of these in service a year ago and none of them are holding a charge >1950 and two of them have shutdown completely. They are properly cycled and cared for, charged for use only once a week, but they were a huge disappointment.

I'm going to buy 40 Sanyo 2700 NIMH and see how they hold up.

so there's no doubt, I use MAHA C9000 for diagnostics, and a maha C401 and MAHA MH-C808M AA - AAA- C- D BATTERY CHARGER DELUXE 8 CELL PROFESSIONAL BATTERY CHARGER-FULL LCD DISPLAY for charging. The batteries are not left in after charge, and not exposed to temperature extremes.

I am an end user with no affiliation to any battery company.
1111 comments58 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse