5.0 out of 5 stars Performance and reliability
Published 19 months ago by Adam Nyholt

2.0 out of 5 stars Longevity Issues
They are quite useful for the first ~2 years and provide a higher capacity than most alternatives. Even with premature failures still a WAY better deal than non-rechargeables.

Published 16 months ago by Todd Montgomery

2.0 out of 5 stars Longevity Issues, August 11, 2013
This review is from: Powerex MH-8AA270-BH Powerex AA 2700mAh 8-Pack Rechargeable Batteries (Electronics)

They seem to have longevity issues. Their lifespan seems to be around 2 years. At some point around 18 to 30 months of regular use they began to cause low voltage issues. This was due to them no longer properly charging properly. None have come close to the realm of 250+ charge/use cycles before failure. None registered past 2375 mAh of capacity at that point in time (reading from C9000 refresh cycle).

I'll speculate that I'm one of the few people who has provided much feedback on a ~2-3 year old purchase. I purchased 36 of these batteries between mid-2010 and early 2011. I also purchased Maha's C9000 and C800 chargers and these batteries have never been charged in any other charger. About 18 months ago I started having sporadic, then increasingly common, under-voltage issues on a variety of devices. Most at issue was the vertical control grip of my Nikon D700, which would simply drop out as a power source very early in its use. I ran form, refresh, and condition scenarios on them and came to the conclusion that about 12 of them would only register "HIGH" on the C9000 charger. no effort to coax them back into use was effective and was candidly a wasted effort, unjustified in the value of my time. It's now mid-2013 and I've gradually ditched a few more of them (due to "HIGH" on the C9000 charger) over time and am down to 16 of them that will hold a 2200-2375 mAh for a relatively short period of time (days). They aren't worth the time or concern anymore and I've ordered replacements, switching to the Eneloops which are credited with having a longer lifespan and substantially better shelf life. I'm just not into making sure that everything has been charged within 48 hours before heading out the door. Some research online will confirm that many have experienced similar relatively short lifespans from these cells. If you'll be satisfied with 2 or MAYBE 3 years of utility from them then they are a good purchase.

- Update 10/10/13 - I've trashed them all at this point. Not one is of any use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loses charge quickly, July 18, 2010
I'm a professional photographer, and I bought these batteries to use in my flashes at weddings. They recycle quickly, but I went through three sets of four batteries at one wedding. If I use eneloop, one set will last the whole day. Even my rechargeable energizer batteries last longer than these. What a waste of money. I would love to return these, but 17th Street Photo doesn't accept returns on batteries. I guess I'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Stick with eneloop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance and reliability, May 30, 2013
I have used Powerex batteries for 5 years. They always perform great! Use a good quality Maha charger, charge using a slow cycle as often as possible, and these will last you years! That being said, if you use these heavily and for critical applications (flashes for wedding photography, for example) I suggest replacing them every 12-18 months and demote your old batteries to keyboards, mice, etc. The same goes for any brand of rechargeable batter, IMO.

2.0 out of 5 stars Price difference, January 31, 2011
Cheaper to buy the 4pcs with holder saves u a $1.97 and you will have a couple of holders to boot

5.0 out of 5 stars the real deal, May 19, 2010
Used them for my DSLR (4AA's). After 500 shots stopped counting. The batteries have been in the camera for two months now and still showing full charge. Purchased the pack of 8 batteries but never got to use the second half of the set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, August 26, 2013
They do have the rated power but don't give the re-cycle time that eneloops give in a flash/Speedlite. For other uses where you need their capacity for long run times, the are fine. Like all batteries, maximum capacity gradually declines over the years. Have had maybe 40 of these batteries and no duds in the bunch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, April 6, 2013
I have been using this brand batteries for the past 12 years, I can photograph an entire 7 hour wedding and never have to replace in my Nikon SB 900 flash w/ ext pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars great power, January 16, 2011
Albert Yee (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
A really powerful set of batteries. I use them in my Nikon SB600 and SB800 flashes and they go all night. Combined with a LaCrosse charger, these will last you a long time with proper trickle charging, not the 15 minute quick chargers which kill batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars For now I will give this batteries only 4 stars ..., July 7, 2014
For now I will give this batteries only 4 stars because they didn't recharge well when I put them into my La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger. I had to discharge them few times before they started charging all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very stable and reliable product, September 21, 2014
Donald L. Jones (Minneapolis, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
A set of these batteries was tested about a year ago at my church for use in our expensive wirelsss microphone systems. They have performed flawlessly since their purchase with no signs of deterioration. They get used every Sunday for the worship service and can not fail. The are also used for every event requiring a microphone during the week such as wedding and other venues. It has not been necessary to even change out one of them during a given service sine we have had them. I liked them so much that I ordered another set for backup since the ones we had of a different brand were showing signs of wear after a good five years of use. When testing these batteries for full charge that are very consistent from one batter to the next.