Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Portable Mat with Powercube
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 8, 2009
It looks as though some reviewers thought they could just plop any device straight on the pad and it would start charging. That's not the case with this charger. Before purchasing I read the instruction manual on the manufacturer's website thoroughly so I know what I was getting. Unless you purchase an integrated receiver made for your phone/device you still need plug the receiver that comes with the Powermat into your device and set the receiver on the mat with the phone attached (I call this semi-wireless charging). If you want to charge more than one device at a time you will need to purchase additional receivers/docks (sold seperately): Powermat Receiver Universal Powercube (White).
For truly wireless charging you should consider purchasing an integrated receiver/case or a dock. I purchased the Powermat Receiver Li-Ion Battery Door for BlackBerry Bold (Black). I just replaced the battery door on my Blackberry with the Powermat receiver and now I can just set the phone on the mat to charge without having to plug anything into my phone. Powermat also makes other integrated receivers/docks for other Blackberry models, iPhones and iPods as well (I'm considering purchasing the Powermat PMR-AID1 Receiver Dock for iPod and iPhone (White)).

Pros
--The Powermat works great for my Blackberry with the integrated receiver since I just place it on the mat and it starts charging wirelessly

Cons
--For our other devices: iPods, other family member's phones, etc. we still need to plug the receiver that came with the mat into the phones since not all phones have integrated receivers made for them. It's still better than the tangle of cords we were dealing with but it would be great if more integrated receivers for other cell phone models were available.

So, overall I give the product 4 stars
55 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2009
Yes, I can hear it now (from previous buyers) with comments of "I told you so" or "You were warned". I recently purchased the Powermat Portable Mat for about $90 and it DOES NOT charge wirelessly. Since I, too, felt victim to misleading advertising by Powermat (you will see such claims all over the box packaging with misleading tag lines of "wireless charging" or "wirelessly charge up to 3 devices" or "lose the cord" or "with revolutionary powermat wireless charging"). LET ME MAKE IT VERY CLEAR: YOU MUST BUY A RECEIVER FOR EVERY DEVICE THAT YOU WISH TO CHARGE "WIRELESSLY". That is as much as another $30/each for every unit. I own a (work related) blackberry, an IPhone, a Nintendo DS, a (personal) Tmobile phone. If I wanted to charge all these units wirelessly, I'll have to shell out an ADDITIONAL $120. In the end, the powermat system WITHOUT individual receivers is NO BETTER than bringing along powercords. My recommendation: SAVE YOUR MONEY and avoid this product UNLESS you are willing to shell out more dough for the add-ons. You have been warned.
77 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2011
I read all the negatives before I bought the Powerpad. Most of the comments were related to people not understanding what they had, needed or were reading.
The PowerPad works perfectly. Good packaging, versatile, works on my DroidX, MP3 and Apple Products plus more.

Remember this is only the charging pad and power cube, you will want to also buy the cover that fits your particular cell phone.
on December 13, 2009
Let's see... in order to avoid having to plug your electronics into a free charger that you already own, you instead need to plug your item into an expensive adapter (each one unique to each piece of equipment you own and not included in the purchase price) then place it on a mat that costs $100.

Who thought this up?

My gift is going back...this is truly a case of marketing over function.
on December 25, 2009
I received this device as a christmas present. But realized that I have to spend $60 to get my phones to charge wirelessly on the powermat.

The device is a good concept of charging several devices wirelessly. Unfortunately, it does not deliver out of the box and at a cost of $100 with the perception of wireless, it seems like marketing untruth. For each device that you want to charge wirelessly, you need to buy a custom receiver ($30 each) that slips on the device and then you can lie the device on the powermat to charge. Therefore, you pay $100 for the powermat, and $30 per device. This amounts to $190 (not including tax) to charge 3 devices wirelessly, which removes 2 cables of clutter for charging and now you have a long black mat sitting on your counter with a bunch of devices on it. This lacks the oomph gained for wireless charging in functionality, the expenditure, and the space taken up by this device.

Nice concept, but too expensive for the actual functionality of removing cable clutter. This device should have come with at least 2 coupons free to get the custom receivers for the $100 price tag. The dissapointing factor is that you need to really spend $200 to charge 3 devices wirelessly.
on October 30, 2015
No stars it's rubbish. It didn't charge my phone I have all the appropriate gear for it to charge my phone but it doesn't work. It's great with charging powermat products but I need it to charge my phone. Don't waste your money on this crap.
on January 5, 2012
Portable Mat with Powercube

Good

- Better than using a cord because you can just put down and pick up one handed rather than two
- More durable than cords you have to plug in every time
- Smaller than the full size, so takes up less space
- Folds up fairly small , and cord wraps around transformer for travel, but not as small as several singles.

Needs Improvement

- Form Factor is larger than needs to be taking up excess space
- Hard to get the phone in the right position to charge. Part of it is that the case on the phone does NOT have the charging center at the center of the phone, but even after you figure that out it is hard to get in just the right location and you can't just bump it a little to get it in the right position you just have to pick it up and try putting it down again, not sure why bumping doesn't work
- Magnetic grab does not pull phone to correct positioning. You can feel it, but can't pull phone to center it as intended
- Only a benefit if for iphone if you upgrade to IOS 5+ and use iCloud backup, otherwise you still have to plug in to do the backup.

Bottom Line

- Buy multiple of the one position Close fitting devices for specific phones. Overall they will be smaller and easier to use.
- I would not buy this again because there are better/more flexible PowerMat charging alternatives
I really love the convenience of the Powermat. I love not having to untangle different adapters and hunt all over the house for a free outlet to charge things in. I'd love it if they had a larger Powermat that would charge like six things at once for those of us addicted to gadgets. The Powermat was extremely simple to set up and connect. All I had to do was take the Powermat, plug it in, find the tip that matched what I wanted to charge and connect them. I love the little noise it makes because I know I've connected it properly. I literally had everything set up and connected in less than five minutes.
on February 8, 2013
The portable Mat with powercube works great. The only reason I gave it a 4 start was the white powercube that came with it was faulty. They replaced the broken one and even sent me an extra one. Not sure if that was on accident or not but was nice :)
on January 7, 2012
I love the idea of the PowerMat. A lot of people on Amazon seem to question the purpose of the device. That's not me. I want to charge my devices without plugging and unplugging, and without a long wire laying across the floor (or worse, hanging above the floor) to trip over.

I bought the PowerMat with a "PowerCube Universal Receiver" because it SHOULD give me freedom to use it with any device that takes one of the converter tips that come with it. I have 8 tips. I'm only interested in 1 of them: the micro USB (for most modern phones).

I will preface my issue by saying that I know for a fact that the PowerMat DOES work. Plugging the PowerCube Receiver (with the micro USB adapter) into my girlfriend's Droid Incredible charges the phone as expected. Her phone indicates that it is charging and the battery does replenish.

However, I didn't buy this so that my girlfriend could use it. I bought it so that I could use it 7 days a week. I have 3 devices I wanted to charge with the PowerMat: a micro USB Galaxy Nexus, a micro USB Motorola Droid (original), and a mini USB PlayStation 3 DualShock controller. To my surprise, NONE of these devices are charged by the PowerCube Receiver. I have switched back and forth between my girlfriend's Incredible and all 3 of my devices. With hers, it works. With all 3 of mine, it doesn't. There is a single USB port available in the side of the PowerMat which does charge my devices. But, if I'm relying on a standard USB port, I might as well use my computer (or a USB wall adapter) instead of this PowerMat.

I WANT to love this product. I've been interested in trying it for a long time. But it simply doesn't work FOR ME. It may work for you--there's no way for me to know. If you have an officially supported device, and the charger adapter built for that specific product, I'm sure it will be a great means to charge it for you. I simply cannot recommend it based on the fact that the "universal charger" doesn't universally charge, even though it DOES have a compatible tip.

I did also purchase the rechargeable "battery pack" in addition to this. It recharges wirelessly using the PowerMat, and can be used to recharge a micro USB or Apple device. This DOES function to charge my devices. So, I'm not sure what's different about the charger circuitry in the PowerCube Receiver as opposed to the rechargeable battery pack, but for some reason the PowerCube is unable to charge 3 of the 4 devices I've attempted to charge with it.

So just understand that, unless you have an officially supported product, buy at your own risk. I have been unable to find a list of devices that are supported specifically for the PowerCube, which is quite frankly far from universal, at a 25% success rate in my experience. (I'm sure it's really better than that, but I can only speak from my personal experience, which was atrocious for such an expensive product)

UPDATE: I contacted PowerMat support, and they did send me a new MicroUSB adapter which does now charge my Motorola Droid and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The old adapter model apparently has a different pin configuration not compatible with these devices. Still no luck on the PS3 DualShock controller, though. My rating stands, however, based on the fact that even with the new adapter, I find myself using this very little now due to the hassle of the way I need to plug in my devices to the receiver anyway.