Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Powermate PM0435001 6,250 Watt 287cc 10 HP Subaru EX30 Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wrap Around Handle
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on March 10, 2012
I bought this generator on sale four years ago, it has been used occasionally for field power, never for emergency power, the main reason I bought it. A few comments I would like to pass on to prospective owners. It is extremely noisy, intolerable within ten feet. I am looking into making a special noise trap housing. My 2 Kw Honda generator is quiet by comparison, but costs twice as much as the Powermate and puts out less than half the power. My owner's manual calls out 10-30 motor oil--another review said that information is missing.
Here is the most important issue--The first few years I started it often enough so starts were fast and predictable. DO READ THE OWNERS MANUAL ON PROPER STARTING TECHNIQUE! Then it got buried in the tool shed for over six months, and I forgot to run the float bowl dry at shut-down, so the fuel became a bunch of gunk and the carb was plugged. I removed the lower float bowl, and degunked the carb with solvent, jet needle and compressed air, and it runs again. SO HERE ARE MY RULES FOR HAVING IT ALWAYS READY TO USE. ALWAYS SHUT DOWN BY TURNING OFF THE FUEL VALVE, allow the engine to quit, then turn off the OFF-ON switch. Replace all the fuel with fresh fuel annually in cold climates, and every six months in hot climates, unless the genny is used a lot. I do try to run it with a load every month if possible.
on November 2, 2011
I brought this home about three years ago because one of the big box chains had a great deal on it and since we live in a rural area felt it was a necessity. Wife just rolled her eyes but that attitude changed when we had our first outage. Wasn't that bad, just a little over a day but it kept the part of the house we stayed in warm, computers and internet on, refrigerator and freezer running. It turned a potentially miserable situation into an adventure if you will. Keeping the food cold was just easier inside the units instead of having to put it in coolers outside. Next outage was over three days so I figure it has now paid for itself. I will admit I am bad about starting it on a monthly basis. I just turned it over after nine months of it being in the shed. Had to drain the fuel bowl but five minutes of "hard" for me pulling and it started and ran just fine. And that was with the gas that had been stored away with it but I had put stabilizer in it for what that is worth. The point off if for an incomplete manual that does not tell you the weight of oil to use. Little thing but it should be in there.
on December 28, 2010
I have had this generator for about a year. I like the set up of this with the large handle and large wheels, makes transporting a little easier. The heavy duty 25 foot 5 outlet extension cord is very nice as well. It runs well and has plenty of power for most jobs or outages. It's important to take care of it and keep good gas in it. Mind the manual and it'll run great. Pretty quiet too compared to some other brands. The price is reasonable as well. One thing that I would like is an idle control. It seems as if it runs full speed with or with out a load. I guess if you have it running you should be putting a load on it for the most part anyways. Overall, great generator and would recommend it.
on November 25, 2011
I just bought this generator and it starts easily and makes electricity....After much research the net, the man's claim that the engines on these are crap appears to bogus as I cannot find another person online badmouthing this engine. Plus it's a Subaru engine, and we all know the Japanese make great engines in general. I expect to get many years of good service from this unit after I break it in and do an oil change. BTW they use 10W30 oil, it says this nowhere on the unit or the owners manual, I found the spec in a service manual for the engine I found online.
on December 17, 2011
I've had this generator for about 5 years (same engine and generator but slightly different design). Generator starts up on first or second pull and runs stably. Although as noisy as other cheapish generators on the market. I've used it about once a year, for 1 to 2 days at a time. This generator powers TV, furnace, two fridges, microwave, sump and sewage pump and a set of lights with ease. It will also power my 1 horse power 240 V deep well pump as long as I turn all other power requirements off. It's a good buy for an emergency generator.
on December 3, 2011
Being in construction for many years I've had many generators over the years. Starts in one or two pulls. I use this one for power outages. Subaru engine runs smoothly but a little louder than a Honda.
on June 1, 2010
Awesome Generator! Powers my whole house in winter and super reliable, pretty quite too. Robin-Subaru engine is very fuel efficient and much quieter than a Briggs.
on November 21, 2013
I have had this (PM0435003) generator for about 6 years now and have never had a problem with it. It has gotten us through many power outages (The last on this week for 2 days) without an issue. As stated above I always turn off the fuel valve and run the carb dry when I put it away, never failed to start up on 1st or 2nd pull afterward. Good on fuel, maybe 1/2 gallon an hour usually and we have 3 freezers plus the fridge in the kitchen. I shut off everything else to run the well (1-1/2 horse pump) and have been very happy with it. Not sure where the guy with the problems took his, but I have found the Subaru engine to be pretty bulletproof for my 6 years.
on December 15, 2014
Bought it during Sandy storm as an emergency from Home Depot. About $500.00!
Worked for 2 hrs then died. Customer service was useless. They told me that once I put gas in a tank I can't return it.
Suggestion: Buy real brand: Honda Subaru... Avoid this garbage.
on March 21, 2010
Don't buy this generator, with the Subaru motor it is the biggest piece of crap. I have had two of these so far the dealer took back the first one and gave me a new one. I sold my old Briggs and Straton because I wanted a quieter OHV motor. The first one would not start half the time and when it did it would run for 30 seconds and quit. I got the second one and it ran fine the first day I put it up for a month drained the carb and put fuel stabo in the tank, tried to start it a month later no go, took it to the shop and said no compression, these motors are junk the Mechanic said.
1616 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse