|Item Weight||90.2 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||24.2 x 19.2 x 17.4 inches|
|Item model number||PM701|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Powermatic 1791310 PM701 3/4 Horsepower Bench Mortiser
|Price:||$489.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$91.01 (16%)|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- 3/4-horsepower bench mortiser with 1/2-inch chuck, in-line depth stop, and 5/8- and 3/4-inch bushing sizes
- Operates up to 1,725 rpm, 5-1/2-inch head stroke capacity, reversible handle for left/right-hand operation
- Some assembly required
- Includes mortiser, 3/4-inch chisel bushing, chuck extension adaptor, chuck key, and handle
- 16-5/16-by-13/3-4-inch base; 93-pounds; 1-year warranty
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
I ordered this machine on March 15 and the web site reflected a new product that was on backorder.
Amazon's web site also told me the machine would be shipped and delivered between April 20 and May 8th. It arrived on the 14th of April in excellent condition.
The price with one of Amazon's special sale days, the supersavor shipping, and no sales tax made this machine very very competitive with the $200-$300 priced machines.
Six stars for Amazon.com!!!
This is one massive bench top machine. I use to own a Jet, which was a nice servicable little machine for the price, but it was very basic with a very basic table made of MDF.
I debated between the higher end Delta, the General Tilting Table Mortiser, and the Powermatic 701. I went with the Powermatic as I do not make slat back chairs and therefore did not need to have the tilting feature.
The Powermatic 701, while not made in the USA, is made in Taiwan. The workmanship is very good. The motor runs smoothly and the guides for raising the head and moving the table operate smoothly.
Speaking of the motor, it is 3/4 horsepower compared to the 1/2 horsepower that powers the others.
This machine did not bog down in any wood I have been able to test since receiving it.
The spacer fitting for the chisel and auger is a nice touch as is the round tool rest attached to the back of the machine for your other chisels. It comes with a polishing hone already attached, too!Read more ›
I think I will eventually invest in a set of Powermatic mortising bits as they are larger, but the PM701 directions tell you how to use the smaller chisels/bits and they worked fine. I believe I made the right choice in selecting the PM701 and I actually look forward to another mortising project with the confidence that I have a machine that can do the job.
The Powermatic was $100 more than the others, give or take. This got me a solid cast iron table and fence, adjustible roller guides for holding the stock against the fence, right or left hand operation, a large access door for the chuck, a 3/4 hp motor, an included diamond hone, and (a serious consideration) a brand that would be easy to resell if I decided I didn't like or need it.
1. Virturally no assembly. You take it out of the box, install the handle, adjust the three jib bolts (and yes,as noted by others, an included 3mm hex key would have been welcome), install the bit and it is ready.
2. The stock hold down will adjust from flush on the table to the maximum stock height, so even narrow pieces can be clamped down.
3. Both the hold down clamp and the rollers have two separate locking devices that let you choose to clamp firmly against the stock, for maximum precision, or with a bit of play, for easier movement of stock through the machine.
4. The tool holder is quite useful, not just a flimsy little attachment like those on some others.
5. The diamond hone is attached to the top of the frame so I don't lose it.
6. The machine is surprisingly quiet. I get the occasional squeal from the bit when a chip gets caught, of course, but not much even of that.
7.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've put substantial work on this mortiser ( with chisels from 1/4" to 1") in hardwood. This 3/4 hp machine takes it all with ease. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Karsten
Very poor quality on stops and adjusting knobs. Tiwan machine. Jet/Powermatic service is the pits. Forget trying to get warranty replacements.
Rude call center. Read more
There is at least one thing I would change. The hold-down fork does not release - it seems to bind on the staff, so I am constantly having to pry it up with a screwdriver.Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
I've had this PM 701 for a couple of years. The quality of this and the PM 35-20 lathe have sold me on Powermatic tools. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Happy Ten
More powerful than other brand mortisers. Easily drill square holes!Published 5 months ago by Derek A. Harris
This feels like a very solid machine for the price, and I'm sure it would work great for 1/2" mortises. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Marc Ramsey