Powershot S100 - Uneven focus? I'm noticing a blurring in the lower right corner of images shot with my new S100. Problem shows up in detailed, face-on shots, such as a flat lawn taken from directly over head at about 5 feet. Blurring in the LR corner is detectable on any computer monitor at full screen (look closely). Lens is clean, Image Quality settings are "Fine", Digital Zoom is Off, Sunny day, ISO=80, Tv=160, Av=4.0. Anyone else having this problem?

Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black)
asked by S. Jennings on November 13, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I just got this camera and have the same issue. It ruined a ton of vacation photos and I'm going to try and send it back.
Justin Cozart answered on November 14, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the imaging resource site, it's great. I compared their s95 and s100 images and frankly I can't say 1 is better than the other. Colors are a bit richer with the 100, but as I didn't see the original scene I can't say which is more accurate. At higher ISOs the S100 gets more details. The S100 does seem to apply more filtering to get the higher ISOs without excessive noise, but appears to do it quite smartly. I think I would be happy with either camera's images, but prefer the S100 for it's slightly higher megapixel resolution, 1080p video etc.

At this point I have seen hundreds of images from the S100 on Flickr and I just do not see any problem with any of them. I see that on Amazon there are those citing major issues such as S.Jennings who says "I'm noticing a blurring in the lower right corner of images". What I never seem to see from those with critiques of image quality are actual images. If an image has been taken, it's simple to upload to anywhere including Amazon. I am not going to base a purchase decision off the word of someone I do not know. I want to see the image and would really like to make sure peanut butter covered fingers didn't smear the lens. To date nobody posting a negative review for image quality has posted a single image to show the fault. It's a camera. It takes pictures. No reason not to have a pic of the problem.
username_5 answered on November 19, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'd gladly post an image into this thread, or into the review of the S100 that I posted on 11/19, but I have not yet found a way to do so (any suggestions?) The review, by the way, mentions a few other short comings to which I would now add a very quirky charge-life indicator which starts flashing red after about five hours of moderate usage. Then, if I power-cycle the unit, it shows a full charge for about 10 - 15 minutes before gradually decreasing to flashing-red after another 10-15 minutes. Generally the camera seems to function for up to 2 additional hours after the battery indicator first starts flashing red, but overall the battery life is the shortest I've ever experienced on a digital camera.
S. Jennings answered on November 20, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I also returned mine to Best Buy. I found that the combination of new CMOS sensor and the new zoom lens are nowhere near the quality or sharpness that the S95 has. Not to mention the color balance is worse than my LX5 was before they released the 2.0 firmware a few months ago.

Imaging Resource (google it) has a comparometer -- check out the sample photos vs. the s95, lx5 or any other camera. Even without pixel peeping, the smudginess of the new Canon glass leaves much to be desired.
Photo enthusiast answered on November 15, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product