5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry book with advanced best practices
I resisted reading the first edition because it came out just shortly before Django 1.0. As a result, the code samples were not fully usable with the latest Django codebase.

Published on July 13, 2009 by Hugh D. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars References to source code that isn't there.
This book would totally be 5 stars if the source code was there. It really lays out how to work with Django and understand best practices, but if you're a "code-along-with-the-book" kind of person, you're going to be SEVERELY disappointed since there's no source code to check against the book, not anywhere.

This lack of source code would be excusable if this...
Published on September 28, 2009 by Danilo Gurovich

3.0 out of 5 stars References to source code that isn't there., September 28, 2009
This review is from: Practical Django Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development) (Paperback)

This lack of source code would be excusable if this was a fresh title and there seemed to be an effort to get the source code out, but after searching the blogs and finding an excuse by the author over a year back saying "I have a day job", well that's just inexcusable. I'd almost give it two stars for the excuse, but the content of the book itself is very good, except for the thirty or so references to "getting to source code from the Apress site". Shame on Apress.

This book sits on my shelf as a reference for best practices and a collection of white papers for extending my projects, but I would consider this a third choice. If you're already comfortable with django and "get" everything that's going on, go for this book. If you're still a little "noob-ish" on the topic, move on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, September 27, 2009
C. Young "C. Young" (West Jordan, UT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I like the Django framework a lot, and really wanted to like this book, but I'm afraid it was pushed to market long before it was ready.

There are several cases in the book where I feel the author introduces something, but leaves off pertinent information required to override Django defaults and get what he suggested to work (e.g. using the numerical representation for months in a URL rather than the three-digit representation).

Also, there are many places in the book where the author is describing code, but doesn't state very clearly where the code should go.

Finally, the author refers to the book's accompanying source code, but that source code doesn't exist. The publisher told me a month ago that they've been in contact with the author, and that the source code will be available "shortly," but it is still unavailable. How many months has the book been out?

On the plus side, I think the author's projects are useful, and with the exception of his use of Markdown for submitting blog entries (in my opinion, he should have showed the use of TinyMCE there as well), well thought out. I also think the author does a good job of introducing the reader to a wide range of Django knowledge.

I'm taking one star away for the lack of clarity in several areas, and one away for the missing source code. If the publisher had fixed the ambiguities, missing information, and had the source code available prior to release, this could easily have been a five-star book for learning Django.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry book with advanced best practices, July 13, 2009

The second edition does not suffer from this problem. The code matches development version 1.1. It also has a number of helpful additions: material on current version control (git, mercurial, and subversion), pip (for installing packages), virtualenv (for isolating different development environments), fabric (for repeatable releases to servers), and unit testing.

The text covers the development of two projects: a CMS and a code-sharing site. It has excellent examples of managers (a topic I have not seen covered in other Django books), templatetags, installable packages (markdown, comments, akismet for anti-spamming, pygments for color code, tinymce for rich text-editing, pydelicious, registration), and native packages (RSS feeds, flatpages, auth), plus all the usual topics: urls, models, views, forms, and templates. The text is very strong on using generic views.

The writing is excellent and flows logically. It's a pleasure to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars it would be perfect if the code was there, January 21, 2010
It would be an awesome book, if only the code was there as promised.

OK: the code for the last project, "cab" which is a code sharing site is not on bitbucket or elsewhere. It is a little frustrating that the code isn't there. This seems like it would have been pretty minimal effort for an author or technical editor, but it's amazing how much it will slow down a novice.

because of that, I bumped my review down to 4 stars.

I know they are trying to rush these titles out to print, but don't say you're going to publish the code if you're not.

Even so, it's a great book.

A good book with working full code is Django 1.0 Website Development

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars if you're new to Django, February 23, 2010
In my experience, the purpose of this book is extremely unusual in programming books. Most of them are either an introduction to the topic, or a reference book like a 'cookbook' or what basically amounts to a printed version of the online documentation. Those books get the job done for people with a project (or an employment position) in mind. They learn what they need to do to use the technology, then they get to work. We should all know by now that reading a book doesn't actually teach you anything -- you have to go out and actually apply that knowledge to really "know" the technology.

But what if you want to learn to use Django, but don't have a project in mind? How cool would it be if one of the core Django developers created a couple of fully-functional applications, step-by-step, and let you follow along? That's exactly what James Bennett has done here. You can literally be brand-new to Django and finish this book having written multiple Django applications, learning all the major functionality of Django along the way, and even implementing best-practices for creating reusable applications.

If you've been working with Django for any length of time, a lot of this book will feel like review, because it does explain templates, views, URLs, models, and the MTV concept. However, there's a lot in here for you as well.

Here are some of the cool things in this book that you don't find in any of the standard documentation sources:

* How to (easily) integrate a rich-text editor into the Django admin interface
* Use third-party modules such as pygment, the Delicious API, and Akismet spam-blocking
* In-depth examples of creating custom template tags
* Complete examples of integrating django.contrib applications (such as comments and feeds)
* Notes on version control, distributing apps, building and deploying apps

All that and more, plus this is probably the definitive guide to writing your Django applications to be reusable.

In conclusion, if you're brand-new to Django and want a yellow-brick road to walk down, here it is. If you're an experienced Django programmer, you don't need this book, but I practically guarantee you'd learn a couple of things you didn't know. If you are new to Django, however, I highly recommend that once you finish this book you read The Definitive Guide to Django: Web Development Done Right, Second Edition cover-to-cover once you finish this book. It will fill in all the gaps and you'll really be able to do pretty much anything in Django.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good second step to Django, January 3, 2010
I came to leave a review for this book and was a little shocked by the other reviews. I found this book to be a great second step in my learning Django.

I am new to Django, but not new to programming. I have been playing with Python for about a year now part-time, so I am still learning Python concurrently with Django. I have built my first production website using Django and was impressed by how little code it took to build a fairly flexible website and application. After reading this book I will go back and reduce my code by about 50% to get the same functionality.

In regards to the code not working or not being freely accessible for this book, I think that if you need the code from this book you are not ready for this book. My meaning is that this book is trying to teach you how to fish and it sounds like you want the fish. I picked up a great deal on how to extend Django in small but powerful ways. In the fairly small project of building a robust CMS website, the author introduced a ton of features that I did not pick up from The Definitive Guide to Django: Web Development Done Right, Second Edition (which was my first book and true introduction to Django).

About a year ago I left my development world of Java and was looking for a smaller, faster web development framework/language. I first tried Ruby on Rails and thought it was awesome! Especially coming from the over verbose, massive framework world of Java, Hibernate, Struts, etc. I probably would have chose that environment to develop in, but I saw a couple of Google I/O presentations on Python and thought I would check it out. I really like Python over Ruby and decided that I wanted to develop with that language and so I started playing with Django. Django just does not have the documentation that RoR does, which is a bummer (technical term). It would be nice to have more Django documentation.

If you are new to Django and Python (not a Python guru), I think this is a really good second book to buy. Why did I not give it 5 stars, well 5 stars is basically perfection and the book is good not perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bummer..., October 17, 2010
Tracy R. Reed (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book had so much potential. The examples chosen (cms, blog, code sharing app) are all excellent examples.

But there are fatal flaws:

1. No source code, as others have noted.

2. LOTS of errors. I have tracked down and submitted half a dozen errata. I have marked the pages in my book with corrections.

3. NO errata listed on the Apress site. I submitted errata on this over a year ago and no reply.

4. The code is presented in a slightly confusing way. Code to do something will be demonstrated. Then a better way will be presented. It is not always clear the new code is meant to replace the old code or where the code goes.

5. The binding of the Apress books in general is rather poor. Two of my Apress books are falling apart.

6. You can talk to the author on IRC in freenode's #django (goes by ubernostrum) and he will tell you that he is just too busy to upload the code, respond to errata, etc. Good luck, buddy. I can't help but think Apress must have pissed him off and this is his way of getting back at them or something. It just doesn't figure. It is like he wants to forget he ever wrote a book. But 250 pages of highly technical material...quite an accomplishment! You would think an author would take pride in his work.

I have just finished working my way through the book cover to cover and got all of the code working. I did learn a lot. But it took me quite a while. Most folks wouldn't stick with it. It is hard to feel like I got my money's worth with all of the problems listed above.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, 50% of the content is broken and outdated., February 18, 2014
Absolutely useless now.

If you enjoy spending countless hours fixing your project because this stupid book told you to code something out that's been completely depreciated in the latest version of Django, then this book might be just for you.

You'll do exactly like the book tells you only to lead you into an error, upon Googleling whatever error is thrown at you most results will come up with "That library has been depreciated".

If you pirate a copy of this in PDF format, you may save your money but you'll waste your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, lack of code, July 23, 2010
Working through applications in this book is a lot of fun, but it's always ruined by the lack of code provided. You'll find that the author lazily describes some code, and tells you to reference the Apress site's accompanying code for what you specifically need (which is completely missing for the code sharing application.) So you'll spend an two hours, blood boiling, trying to get past this pothole and finish the app.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good guide, but lack of source code., January 30, 2010
I have been following the projects in this book. It's packed with useful info. However, I would like this book to have source code, so that I don't have to figure out for myself why some of its projects setup are not working (for instance, chapter 2 - the search feature in the CMS application).

Practical Django Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Practical Django Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development) by James Bennett (Paperback - June 22, 2009)
$44.99 $32.49