4.0 out of 5 stars Best so far..., November 8, 2010
I've found few RCP or SWT books that are worth much.

ERCP Projects is the perfect kind of book for Java developers who are bootstrapping into RCP work. It doesn't presume a lot of knowledge but isn't dumbed down to the point of inanity. Since the book is based around projects in a cookbook style, it gives great bits of code examples which work as starting points.

This is the kind of book which perfectly compliments the sort of material you can find in the Help, the API and on Google but doesn't replicate that information.

The only complaint I have is not with the book itself but with buying it through Amazon for the Kindle. Since I work as a software developer it is common for others to ask if I have any information about some aspect of development. I can't lend the Kindle copy in any fashion.

Even that might be acceptable if I could cut & paste code snippets but the freakin' Amazon desktop book reader will not allow it. Bogus.

In the future I'll buy PDFs from individual publishers or buy paper copies. This one, for example, is directly available from Apress as a PDF book.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a pretty decent introduction to Eclipse RCP application development., November 1, 2009
Roby E. Gamboa (SF Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Eclipse Rich Client Platform Projects (Expert's Voice in Open Source) (Paperback)
Disclaimer: I tend to strain the limits of most software development frameworks, so I'm probably not the best source of review material for introductory programming references. That said, this book provided some valuable insight into how to best structure plugin and feature projects in Eclipse in order to develop a non-trivial RCP application.

I am also starting to work on RAP (Rich Ajax Platform) applications, and a lot of the information and implementation patterns in this reference carried over to that development platform as well.

There were some aspects of programming for RCP that I was looking for, but haven't been able to find yet. Specifically:

- Interacting with the Equinox OSGi container to provide more advanced deployment models.
- Detailed information for enabling different help/documentation capabilities in an RCP application, other than the base-level capabilities of the environment.
- Working with Plugin-Target Environment definitions to provide tailored runtime environments for use with developed RCP applications.
- Use of custom widgets with RCP applications (definition of custom widgets is normally found in an SWT/JFace reference, what I was looking for was effective packaging and use of these custom controls in the context of an overall RCP application).
- Tailoring build settings and Plugin Update functionality to integrate with products that generate OS-native installers for the first deployment of an RCP application. Once an RCP (or other plugin) application has been deployed for the first time, use of an update site is advised and fairly straightforward to accomplish using this reference as a guide. Getting the RCP application into, say, an RPM image for Linux or an MSI image for Windows so that it can be part of a managed desktop environment...that wasn't nearly as straightforward.

Overall, though, I did find that I referred back to this reference pretty frequently, which is my main criteria for a good programming reference. It did an effective job of staying in the scope of RCP development, rather than trying to absorb too much of Eclipse plugin design. I will be looking forward to the next edition, and will definitely be on the lookout for references on Equinox, RAP, and more advanced plugin development, though, to properly augment my Eclipse bookshelf.

Practical Eclipse Rich Client Platform Projects (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
$54.99 $42.80