From the Back Cover
The best just became BETTER! Completely revised to meet all your Red Hat Linux needs!
Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux are advanced operating systems. You need a book that's just as advanced. This book explains Linux clearly and effectively--with a focus on the features you care about, including system security, Internet server setup, and sharing files and printers with Windows systems. Best-selling Linux author Mark Sobell starts at the beginning and walks you through everything that matters, from installing Fedora Core using the included CDs to GNOME, KDE, Samba 3, sendmail, Apache, DNS, NIS, and iptables. Along the way, you learn the "hows" and the "whys." Whether you are a user, an administrator, or a programmer, this book gives you all you need and more. Mark Sobell knows every Linux nook and cranny, has taught hundreds of thousands of readers, and never forgets what it's like to be new to Linux.
Don't settle for yesterday's Linux book...get the ONLY book that meets today's challenges and tomorrow's!
Compared with the other Linux books out there, A Practical Guide to Red Hat® Linux®, Second Edition, delivers...
- The full Fedora Core operating system on 4 CDs (not the truncated "Publisher's Edition") AND complete coverage of Fedora Core and the 2.6 Linux kernel, PLUS coverage of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Deeper coverage of GNOME and KDE, including customization
- More practical coverage of file sharing with Samba, NFS, and FTP
- Easier-to-follow coverage of Internet server configuration including Apache, sendmail, NFS, and DNS
- More up-to-date coverage of security, including SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), OpenSSH, and firewall setup using iptables
- Better coverage of "meat-and-potatoes" system/network administration tasks
- A more practical introduction to writing bash shell scripts
- More complete coverage of configuring local and network printers using CUPS
- And much more...including a 500+ word glossary and a comprehensive index to help you find what you need fast!
Includes 4 CDs!
Get the full version of Red Hat's Fedora Core 2 release!
About the Author
Mark G. Sobell is president of Sobell Associates Inc., a consulting firm that specializes in UNIX/Linux training, support, and custom software development. He is the author of many best-selling UNIX and Linux books and has more than twenty-five years of experience working with UNIX and Linux.