Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 7:46:05 AM PDT
I am so excited for this book to come out because being new to Paleo I need all the help I can get! With this book including recipes and diet information, it will be my go to guide on living the Paleo diet. The tear out guides are what I'm super excited for. August 7 cant come soon enough!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:02:16 AM PDT
B. Gendusa says:
I can't wait to get my hands on this book since being new to Paleo, need all the help I can get...:) Heard this was a very valuable book!!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 3:01:41 PM PDT
Can't wait for this book... I have been listening to the pod casts, I even got my husband on the paleo bus! We arecso excited to get some new inspiration and education on how to achieve optimal health and strength. We even got tickets to the atlanta seminar!!! No turning back now we are a paleo family!

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:53:24 PM PDT
I am looking forward to reading this book. I discovered in the past year many food sensitivities and that I have a condition called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. I need all the information, motivation, and recipes I can get to stay on track with an autoimmune paleo way of eating.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 6:18:28 AM PDT
Anthony says:
Loving the book, but I need the Kindle version, asap, please! It is a bit heavy. :)

Ps. And please include full color as I will read it on my iPad, not on my Kindle device. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 12:05:47 PM PDT
It's available on Kindle now! And in color ;)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 3:46:46 AM PDT
Livvy says:
Will it be available on the Nook?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 5:26:45 AM PDT
It has been since August 7 via the Barnes & Noble website! Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 10:40:34 AM PDT
Livvy says:
Duh in my part. I already have your book in paperback. LOL. I was actually referring to "Well Fed"... Sorry about that.

PS. Really enjoying the recipes in your book!

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 1:37:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2012 1:38:24 AM PDT
Livvy says:
To Author, So after going thru "Practical Paleo" page by page, here are some things I would like clarification on:
1. Canned food such as salmon, shrimp, pumpkin & etc...; you recommend these foods in canned form, but doesn't the canning process strip the food of most of its nutrients?

2. Coconut milk. What kind should we be drinking? Is something like "So Delicious Coconut milk" recommended? Or is that considered as "Watered down fortified junk"??

3. Food combining. Should fruits be eaten alone (if low in the glycemic Load index) or with fats & proteins (if high on the Glycemic Load index), but not with vegetables, and preferbly first thing in the morning?

4. Your take on AGE's in regards to preferred cooking methods to minimize them and avoidance of nuts, olives, and avocadoes since they are high in them? See my review above.

5. Is turkey bacon ok? Or should i go with the pasture raised pork bacon instead?

6. Isn't over consumption of olive, its oils, nut flours, especially almond & its milk, disruptive in keeping a balanced omega 3/6 ratio?

Your feedback on any of the above is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Thanks again for compiling such agreat book on Paleo!!!

Warm regards,
Liz

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 7:16:06 AM PDT
Hi Livvy-

A thought here before I reply to your numbered questions-- if you haven't tuned in to the Balanced Bites Podcast yet, I think you'd enjoy it. We cover a lot of these little nuances within our responses to listener questions. The show is free in iTunes, Stitcher, and via my website as MP3s- www.balancedbites.com

1. As far as I know, canning does no affect the nutrients most dense in fish like protein and omega 3 fats. It's possible that vitamins (especially water soluble ones like Bs and C) are diminished in that process, but as an affordable way to get in whole foods rich in omega 3 fats, I think it's a good option. I recommend finding BPA-free brands and have heard Trader Joe's canned salmon is BPA free, but there is also Wild Planet brand and a few other reputable ones.

2. Coconut milk- I, again, say canned here. Generally it has 2 or 3 ingredients: coconut milk or cream, water, and a texturizer. I address a few ?s about this in the FAQs in the book. I don't recommend the cartons- indeed they contain way too many additives.

3. I don't have much of a stance on food combining as I haven't seen much benefit to it in my practice.

4. I am not overly concerned with AGEs from cooking foods unless someone is charring foods regularly and especially if they're charring foods and concerned about cancer or cancer recovery. In the overall context of a well balanced diet that includes antioxidant-rich foods, it isn't of much concern. From what I understand of AGEs, they are less problematic as eaten in foods, and more problematic as created by our bodies. In other words, when our body is creating AGEs internally, they may be tougher to destroy than those we eat which may not survive much of the digestion process (provided it's working properly with adequate acid and enzymes) and ever make it into our bloodstream. I do not concern myself much over whole food sources like nuts, olives, avocados - never heard they are high in AGEs, but maybe high in n6 fats?

5. I don't recommend turkey bacon as it's far more processed than regular pork, lamb or beef bacon which is sliced from the animal's belly. Pastured pork is a great choice. See the guide to food quality for more info.

6. I don't think this concept carries much weight when it means consumption of whole food forms. When you remove grains and seed oils - especially the damaged seed oils like fryer oil, etc. - you do pretty well to balancing your n3:n6 ratios. I don't think that n6 fats within a whole food are problematic or inflammatory. I also think it's pretty impossible to balance that ratio in your diet or in your bloodstream without a neurotic level of food planning and avoidance. Again, I would bet money that whole food forms of undamaged n6 are far less problematic (if they are at all) than refined forms in processed foods and seed oils.

I hope this helps! it's a lot of info and I am guessing I won't always have time to answer questions this quickly on every comment if they're always super in-depth, but please feel free to come over to the FB page where I answer a lot of questions and help people learn new things about food daily!

https//www.facebook.com/pages/Balanced-Bites/118286848256522

Best,
Diane

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 6:40:12 PM PDT
Livvy says:
Thx for being so generous with your time and answering my questions. I will definately visit your website soon. Again, thanks for producing such a high quality book!

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:04:29 PM PDT
Sharon Vail says:
I have a gastric bypass. I cannot eat all the food recommended. How do I maintain proper nutrition and eat paleo. I also have multiple food allergies/intollerances. I am planning on getting the Practical Paleo book, just thought I would ask in advance, as I doubt gastric bypass is in there. Don't get me wrong, with all my medical issues, I know the book will help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 8:36:00 PM PDT
Hi Sharon-

Great question! The food allergies and intolerances may be largely catered to in the book- what foods are you unable to eat? There are plans that exclude a LOT of types of foods. That said, the meal plans themselves contain several pages of general recommendations before the actual 30 days of meals, so if you would like to create a plan for yourself following the guidelines and not eat the meals from the book recipes, you are more than welcome to do so. The meals are there as a guide for those who want them, but are not anything set in stone or the only way to eat Paleo and get healthy for specific conditions.

Let me know on the foods and let's get you on your way to feeling better soon!

Best,
Diane :)

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:13:41 PM PDT
Sharon Vail says:
Thank you so much for responding! I do best when I avoid wheat/gluten, corn and now dairy. I have had difficulty for over 2 months now in keeping down food, think I may have a blockage in the bypass stoma. I eat very little currently, and often do not keep that down. Ironically, the foods I do keep down are very, very bad for me. Example: Deviled ham on bread with mayo. I crave all the foods that make me sick. Dense protein, such as chicken breast, fills me up quickly (prior to the current 2 month problem). I need to do more, if not all my own cooking, but my 15 year old son will not eat the good stuff and I have been out of work for close to 3 years now. I hate wasting food, therefore, I tend to not cook anything to avoid that. Canned stuff, frozen, microwave things are the norm right now, and my son will eat those.

Back to my issues, I am sick of being so sick and losing my 'pouch' contents every day. If I do not change things around, I know my other ailments will only continue to worsen. Fibromyalgia, tendonitis, depression, acid backwash and reflux, skin problems, and many more. I also have trouble sleeping.

I know you are not a doctor, but would appreciate any, and I mean any help you could offer. Meal planning and cooking for my health are NOT easy for me. I wish someone would just lay it all out, based on what I can eat and even some of what I like, and I could just follow the dots to a healthier home life, my son included.

I would love to feel better soon!

Blessings, Sharon

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:20:08 PM PDT
Sharon-

Well, you're in luck because the entire book of recipes is gluten/wheat, corn, and dairy-free (with the exception of butter but another fat is always listed as an option to use).

A lot of us crave foods that make us feel sick, but what we really need is a ton of the micronutrients we've been missing for a long time, then those cravings really fade out.

Perhaps your 15 year old can look through the book with you and choose what he might want to try? I've heard many families are using that approach to their success.

If you want to try working with the meal plans in the book, even just breakfast and lunches and see how you do, then contact us through the website for 1:1 coaching, that may be something worthwhile for you down the road for some more customized meals, etc. based on your tastes.

Keep me posted. And feel free to join us on Facebook - lots of chat over there!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balanced-Bites/118286848256522

Diane :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about