As a developer who works with Dojo, I am happy that there are finally some books out there that cover the toolkit. This one does a good job of covering the toolkit in depth. Chapters 2 and 3 are remarkable for their coverage of core and dijit. These chapters alone are worth the price of the book.

Where the book goes wrong for me is the authors insistance on...
Published on October 16, 2008 by J. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Dojo Proj
Book is a little outdated with the new Dojo version. Still, it is still good as a primer in core and base of Dojo. Not as detailed as Dojo The Definitive Guide - but covers everything well enough.
Published on May 3, 2009 by Timothy P. Tocci

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage of Dojo, but suffers a little bit from writing., October 16, 2008
This review is from: Practical Dojo Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development) (Paperback)

Where the book goes wrong for me is the authors insistance on peppering the book with, oft irrelevant, pop-culture references. I get the sense that he is a 30-something fan-boy, but that has nothing to do with Dojo.

This is particularly problematic when the pop-culture references extend away from mere examples and are used as clarification for APIs. I'm sure most Dojo developers understand what a Bizarro-world version of something is, but just saying that a function is a reverse of another would suffice.

Apart from me havinig to roll my eyes at the authors failed attempt to inject wit via these references on every single page, the book is solid. I believe it's a good resource to get up to speed with the toolkit. You can go ahead and skip chapter 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid reference with a twist, November 18, 2008
First, LOL with J.Moore's review, the only other review at the time that I am writing this, because I too was pseudo psycho-profiling the author of this book.

I profile Frank Zammetti as single forty something, too much time on his hands, with such a clear and thorough understanding of Dojo that it almost bores him. Hence the peppering with cultural references which I found quite entertaining. The small tangents in the text are definetly not placed there to cover up a lack of knowledge or to add verbosity (as with many other computer texts that I have read)

But beneath the occasional cultural reference (which are generally well thought-out bits of esoterica) there is a solid book and a solid understanding.

As with the J.Moore review, I too found the content of this book very detailed and clear with comprehensive online examples. You only really need to read the first couple of chapters thoroughly and you are ready to go, with the rest of the book a organized reference and a small source of inspiration.

Highly recommended.

[Note: I received this book free as part of a promotion]

[addendum 13 April 2009]
I have used Dojo for a couple of applications, but have decided against using it further. It does a lot, but seems to have a lot of overhead. I have used the color picker and inline editor, and with the color picker in particular there are many HTTP requests to initialize, so I decided to create a color picker myself from JS which worked a lot better than the DOJO one. Dojo is too heavy for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dojo Proj, May 3, 2009

Practical Dojo Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development)
Practical Dojo Projects (Expert's Voice in Web Development) by Frank W. Zammetti (Paperback - September 24, 2008)
$46.99 $33.83