5.0 out of 5 stars dre

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Updated
Published on January 27, 2011 by K. Hockett

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Updated, January 27, 2011
K. Hockett (Tuolumne, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Research: Planning and Design (9th Edition (Paperback)
This is a required text for a class I am taking, but I have found it to be a poorly updated 9th Edition of a book. The first chapter gives such basic information about email, computers and the internet, that you would think the internet was just invented. Shame on the author and publishers for selling a book originally published in 1993 with very little work put in to making it relevant and current in its 9th Edition. For any aspiring or out of work authors, perhaps here is an opportunity to write your own book with a little more effort, which can be much more useful for today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware NOT a Regular Kindle Book it is a Print Replica, November 12, 2012
Jeanette Gonzalez "Speedy" (Anchorage, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
I did not realize there were different kinds of Kindle books. This one is a Print Replica book and it has limited features. For example it only allows me to download to 2 devices at the same time. It is NOT formatted for the iPhone either. Make sure you read the fine print and educate yourself on the different types of "Kindle Book" formats. This format does not allow me to adjust the text size or color nor the background. For the lack of features I think the price should be lower. It is basically a digital picture of the actual pages from the book. You can zoom in and on a page but must zoom out to advance to the next page or read the entire page.

I should have checked around to make sure this was the best format for me. I really need to be able to change the text size. I actually have the paperback version and the font is so fine it is really hard to read that is why I purchased the digital version. Since it is a Print Replica it looks just like the book and like previously stated I can not change the font/text size. Zooming in and out on every page gets old plus this book has huge left margins of approximately 2.5-3 inches on almost every page so that does not help.

I prefer the regular Kindle books I having been purchasing for the extra features and I mentioned and so I can download the books to my iPhone, iPad and computer. I always have my iPhone with me so I like being able to have all my books on there too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Kindle version!, June 10, 2012
This is a required text for my research methodology class, so I bought the Kindle version of the book. Unfortunately, there are no page numbers (like the text) on the Kindle version, which is a problem when my professor assigns specific pages to read. Amazon needs to warn its customers of this missing feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars dre, September 12, 2010
The authors, Paul D. Leedy and Jeanne Ellis Ormrod, made this book an easy read with plenty of basic concepts and strategies for basic research methodology. I found it extremely helpful in understanding the research process for any research project. I highly recommend this book for any undergraduate or graduate student who are being introduced to research methodology for the first time, or to the students who need to refresh their memory on how to do practical research.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get the e-text version! Pearson is no help either., January 19, 2013
First off, the text is wonderful. I'm 2 chapters in and it's very well-organized and well-written. As a student, you probably won't have a choice of whether you'll order this book, but this is a textbook that won't put you to sleep. Also, it's not too thick or heavy, so you probably won't need a Kindle version for that reason. At 364 pages, this is a concise text for a topic on which much has been written.

Second, don't buy the MyEducationLab & eText version if your professor doesn't require it. Before I purchased this version, I went to Pearson's site to see if this would allow me to have a digital copy of the book. I couldn't find an answer, so I went to their "live" help. The person on the other end of the chat took quite a bit of time to figure out whether I would have access to a digital copy of the book, but said that yes, I would be able to get it.

So I ordered it. After some more digging, I found an area that said that the eText version would only work on a computer or tablet, but not a phone. So then I received the book and tried to get into their site to get access to the digital copy. You can't even get into the site without a code from your instructor, even though you've already paid for MyEducationLab. My instructor didn't sign up for Pearson's material, so he didn't have a code. The Pearson site says they don't issue refunds. Their "help" person could barely tell me whether I could get a digital copy, so I didn't bother asking them about this issue.

Third, Amazon is great and issued a credit for the price difference.

Educators: this looks like an excellent book for the topic, although I'm not finished. Make sure you tell your students not to get the eText version unless you're partnering with Pearson for their additional materials. After dealing with them, I honestly wouldn't bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Reference Source, September 12, 2013
Although the book has excellent content, the writing style is often not very engaging for the reading. After having the book for a couple of weeks, it is slipping down on my "must read" list. An overview of Chapter 2, 3, and 4 does provide some good research concepts. As an introductory book for research, the book can be useful. Because this book is broad scope, it is not adequate for graduate level, next-step research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, March 31, 2013
While I was required to read this book for a class, and a research paper was completely over my head, this book explained it great. It went into a little more detail than I needed. If you really want to be able to wrap your brain around everything in a research paper and what all statistics mean, how to write each part, etc., this book does a great job.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really a Kindle book., March 6, 2013
I bought this because I need it now for a class I am taking. It is an e-book not a Kindle, and you get none of the Kindle features, and it's a pain in the behind to use. If you have the time to wait, get the print copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars dry reading, February 17, 2013
wow! brew the strong coffee please. This book can deliver important information in a dry way. Layouts & tables containing key points easy to follow though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Graduate Course Material, January 26, 2013
Cavett (Minooka, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This book was a requirement for my graduate work. This book is not needed if you are a business undergrad simply looking for reference material.

Practical Research: Planning and Design (9th Edition
Practical Research: Planning and Design (9th Edition by Jeanne Ellis Ormrod (Paperback - April 10, 2009)
Used & New from: $20.00