4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, with one suggestion
This book is great, I started learning Spanish two months ago as a complete beginner, I purchased this book along with Basic Spanish and Pronouns and Prepositions.

Published on May 21, 2010 by Jianjing Zhang

2.0 out of 5 stars E-book needs links to answers
Published on October 20, 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, with one suggestion, May 21, 2010

I went through Basic Spanish in 2 weeks and then delved into verb tenses. I have to say I love these exercises, it is really interesting and encourage you to continue without making you feel bored. I finished this book today with 1.5 month of daily effort.

English is not my first Language so I know how boring learning grammar could have been. I wasted so many times before trying to understand these English verb tenses. But when using this book, everything is just naturally falling into its category with the great explanation and exercise provided by the author(of course, some of them is quite similar to english, so it saved my time)

I'm not go for a grammar expert in spanish, so a clear explanation of the commonly seen verb structures like "se puede" is my expectation. Right now, I think Spanish Verb Tenses did a fantastic job

Only suggestion for this book, I wish there's review sections and exercises in the book covering different chapters, because the exercise under its own chapter title makes me little bit lazy to think about the tense deeper, I just have to use the one indicated by the chapter title.

(Another thing I'd like to mention is that the conjugation of Spanish verb is much more complex than English since it's directly from Latin, while English is not. So at first you might be little bit scared, but believe me, it is really nothing. People are not very interested in memorization these days, but if you've made up your mind to get started with these verb tenses, you can memorize of all them in a few days, firmly, and refresh it again and again in the coming days with the exercises in the book, after that, your memorization understanding will become real understanding)

Update: another suggestion for this book is about imperative. In this book, imperative is introduced before the the subjunctive, so when I used this book for imperative, I just felt that all these formation rules of imperative are just so random that I totally can not categorize them. Later someone tell me that all imperatives are just the corresponding present subjunctive except for the affirmative of tú and vosotros, So I think it might be a good thing to introduce present subjunctive before introducing imperative

Update Sept 30
It has been 6 months since I started learning Spanish, and right now I can say this book is enough for you to get a good sense of this language, to be honest, you don't need to buy any other books(maybe the pronouns and prepositions, but I found the only thing that is critically important is the RID pronouns). But you have to learn some real Spanish, the Spanish which you can not learn from any text book or work book, as for the grammar, you're already prepared after you finished this one. Practise your knowledge learnt from this book in real Spanish conversations, until turning them into your second nature

4.5/5 Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I get this when I first started learning Spanish?, May 10, 2010
This is by far the best investment I've made in my Spanish learning career. This book has helped me understand so much more than anything I've ever had. Visual learning is a good start, but when you get down to the knitty gritty of things, you realize that you are going to have to know how to form sentences on your own if you ever plan on getting anywhere. This book is marked for beginner to intermediate and that seems about right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best practice book EVER, May 19, 2010
This is by far the best spanish workbook I have ever used. It gradually exposes the reader to vocabulary while keeping it's focus on grammar. I love the way it describes "rules" that I never could get before. I have studied Spanish for a long time, and this book helped clarify somethings to me that I didn't learn in the classroom. To anyone who has self-motivation, I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working well for me., September 11, 2010
F. B. Eckhoff (Fullerton, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I took two years of Spanish in high school nearly 50 years ago. I can converse in simple present tense with a limited vocabulary. I am trying to get so that I can converse and understand in most situations. It also requires that you write a paragraph in each section which helps immensely in reinforcing what you have learned. This book replaces one I had been using that I was not that happy with. I am finding this is much better structured and I can progress quickly. They say you can't learn at 65 but with this book I am making great progress. Has anyone seen my car keys?

2.0 out of 5 stars E-book needs links to answers, October 20, 2011
Amazon Customer (Plantation, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses, Second Edition (Practice Makes Perfect Series) (Kindle Edition)
I love all the spanish grammar books in this series. They are well written and extremely helpful. This is the first time I bought a book like this in the Kindle Ebook Version. The problem I had as I was going through the exercises was that there were no links from the exercises to the answer key. In order to check my answers I had to go back to the beginning of the book and find the table of contents. Then, I had to find the answer key. Then, I had to page my way through the answer key until I made my way to the right exercise. And there are a lot of exercises in this book. It was very frustrating. This would not have been so bad if the book I had purchased was the paperback version. But the ebook makes it challenging. I will not buy another e-book text like this until I know that they have included the links from the exercises to the answer keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners - but GREAT if you're ready for the next level, February 8, 2011
I grew up in a spanish-speaking home and even lived in Mexico for a year when I was a child.
These experiences gave me a solid foundation for SPEAKING spanish, which is where many
people struggle. However, I never had to study spanish on an academic level when I was
in school. Now that I am an adult and understand the remarkable blessing of having spanish
in my background, I wanted to become genuinely fluent. Reading, writing, speaking and listening.

I've used 2 outstanding products to build my academic foundation: Speak in a Week - Spanish
Speak in a Week!: See, Hear, Say & Learn Spanish: 4 week Set (Spanish Edition)
which is FAR AND AWAY THE SINGLE BEST SPANISH RESOURSE EVER CREATED. This is where I refer everyone
wanting to taste spanish for the first time. Great for beginners.

Secondly, though it took me almost 2 years to get through it, I credit Spanish Made Simple for
building a solid and more comprehensive foundation for my spanish.Spanish Made Simple: Revised and Updated (Please remember that I study spanish for fun on the side - I have a life, a job, and a family) This resource is great if you have access to a friend/family member who is fluent in spanish. It's great and I've gone through every single page.

However, I now wanted to zero in on the nitty-gritty of the details in spanish. I'd read reviews
of many products and decided to try both Spanish Verb Tenses and Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions.Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions, Second Edition
BOTH ARE FANTASTIC! They are NOT for beginners as they assume a solid vocabulary. Both books are
very concise and give brief (and humorous) instruction of grammatical concepts. Mostly, they are
DRILLS. They are for focused practice which is exactly what I wanted.

Learning spanish is a skill. Like any other skill, it requires PRACTICE. Lots and lots of practice.
There is no easy way to learn spanish. I have chosen to learn it comprehensively: I literally copy
my spanish resources by hand, page by page, to reinforce vocabulary and spelling. I literally
conjugate out in writing every new verb I learn.

But after a while...the magic shows up. You will have practiced enough and been diligent enough...
that you really WILL become knowledgeable (and someday fluent) in spanish.

These drill books are just another tool to help you get there.
If you really do the work, your spanish will go through the roof!!

Buena suerte!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, July 20, 2010
I have been living in Chile for about a year (picked this book up while visiting the US) and learned Spanish basically only through semi-immersion. I didn't have a background in Spanish so I've learned a lot of Spanish through living in Chile, but what I lacked was some basic foundational Spanish. This book has really helped provide a good foundation for me for the things I have picked up while living in Chile. I love it! I'm learning so many things that I had questions about before. I'm a little less than halfway through, and I'm finding it so helpful. I've decided to buy a few more Spanish books by the same author, because I really like her simple straightforward style. It doesn't skip around and give you lengthy explanations about things. It just provides you with the information you need to know in an orderly fashion and then you do the exercises.
The only complaint I have is that there isn't any review from previous chapters. In order to review you have to go back through the chapters and review for yourself. That doesn't bother me so much, because the way the author explains things is pretty simple, and you can just flip back through the pages and do some reviewing for yourself. I'm using this along with Rosetta Stone and I think I'm getting a very good foundation that I can build upon when I go back to Chile.
This book is for the beginner to intermediate level.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Teaching/Learning Tool, April 1, 2011
I have been teaching Spanish for many years, primarily at the beginner's level in middle school where I created much of the material. We did not have a textbook for many years which allowed me to use a variety of sources. This was a good thing since one text or program never seems to satisfy every area; speaking,listening, structure, vocabulary. When I began to teach at the community college level I remained frustrated with the typical textbook. I am part of a group decision about what will be used and we have chosen an excellent series with many great features. My students ( a very mixed group of native speakers, adult learners and even some students with several years of high school Spanish) still need something more. The very concepts that are necessary for progress are given too brief an explanation and too little practice.
I have supplemented our materials with Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses. I use this very inexpensive book in beginner classes and even in a conversation class. Native speakers appreciate the explanations and the comparisons to English. Beginners who need to understand why something happens get an answer. As you practice, you have the opportunity to incorporate useful vocabulary and grammatical concepts. The challenging translations are an excellent pair activity. It clarifies Spanish verbs in a concrete manner, a brief explanation and a chance to practice the rule. When I am looking for a way to explain, this book comes to the rescue.
I read many of the reviews from customers who use this as a self teaching product. As an adjunct professor with the very mixed demographic of the community college environment, I recommend this wonderful resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, August 11, 2010
I am so pleased with this workbook on Spanish verbs, particularly how the author writes why and when to use the verbs in each of their tenses. I also like her explanations about irregular verbs. I'm one of those people that if I can remember the "why", I can remember it better. As someone who has taken the equivalent of 7 years of Spanish, but has become rusty in recent years from relative lack of use, the book addresses my current needs right where I'm at. I feel like the author understands native English thinkers/speakers well and bridges the gap to speaking/writing Spanish correctly. I feel like "Yeah!!", somebody gets it! The exercises are very helpful and so are the paragraph translations that have you utilize the verb form you just learned in a paragraph. Also, there's a English/Spanish and Spanish/English dictionary, and you can check your answers in the back after you've completed a section. She's a bright woman, and she gets it! Thank you Dorothy!! I'm grateful for your book, knowledge, thinking and planning in how the book was organized. I'm trying to hang on to a small job I recently took as a bilingual office assistant, and I think this book is a good tool that will enable me to do so. If you already know some Spanish and need help brushing it up, and/or making what you know more permanent, this is a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Learning Tool, June 28, 2010
BonnieB (Oldsmar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I bought Spanish Verb Tenses as part of the Practice Makes Perfect Spanish language learning set. I have purchased several learning manuals over the years by various authors and I find that the Practice Makes Perfect series to be the best by far. It teaches and reinforces basic grammar which is the foundation for learning any language. The exercises are helpful. Even though I have been taking Spanish lessons for quite some time, I discovered some new tools with the Verb Tenses manual which helped me with my understanding of Spanish grammar and also in speaking Spanish. I would certainly recommend Spanish Verb Tenses as well as any of the manuals in the Practice Makes Perfect series.

ARRAY(0xa45a7e88)