Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Prague Tales (Central European Classics)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 10, 2007
Neruda (the original one, from whom Pablo took his nom-de-plume) is an astounding writer. His "tales" all take place on the street that he grew up on, and they're funny/sad/touching and highly evocative. The sense of place is strong, and wonderful, and I felt reading it that I too was a nineteenth century resident of this small commnity in Prague. Whether it's a middle-aged man smitten with a pretty young neighbor, or a little boy hiding in the cathedral so he can see the ghost of Saint Vitus who supposedly says mass every midnight at his shrine, Neruda gives us people at once foreign and familiar. In a very different way, his tales remind me of Sarah Ann Jewitt's stories of life in a 19th century New England town. They share the ability to depict their communities with a quiet, intimate passion devoid of sentimentality yet full of love.
on October 15, 2012
My wife & I had a wonderful 2 week apartment stay in Prague Sept 2012 Part of my prep is to read some literature .After struggling thru 4Kafka works & the Forrest Gump like Good Soldier Svejk books I thought I was immersed in the culture.While practicing my Czech the more English fluent Czechs admired pronunciation proceeded to conversations in colloquial English.One of them suggested reading Neruda.While familiar with the name his works were not mentioned in guidebook sections of Czech literature..My interest peeked I ordered 2 books which were home on return .
Very interesting reading mostly 8-10 page vignettes of mid 19th century life in Prague mostly Mala Strana.Having just returned from our magical trip his writing brought back very vivid memories of our trip.Especially after the mind throbbing experience of Kafka & the Soldier Svejk always landing on his feet Neruda was very refreshing.Leave the Czech psyche to Culture Shock Czeck Republic & enjoy Neruda's every day life writings .
on May 30, 2015
Charming tales of a Prague neighbourhood in these short stories. I found this book as a result of staying in the Mala Strana neighbourhood in Prague, and enjoying hot chocolate in a cafe directly across the road from where Neruda lived. These stories are bite sized glimpses into life in the mid 1800's. Most enjoyable.
on January 18, 2014
A series of short stories. The story of the old man with the stone collection is a must for anyone who collects.

The man thought the collection was important because it was worth money , but his children tell him that it was important because of the time they spent together and the facts they learnt.

Amazing

David
on June 10, 2014
I now understand perfectly why Jan Neruda is called The Czech Charles Dickens. His storyteller is like a moviecamera describing the life in the Mala Strana district of Prague.
on January 12, 2005
I have read this book in Czech and it's great, unfortunately, the translation is really bad. It almost feels like someone sat down with a dictionary and just looked up all the words. This really doesn't work when you are going from Czech to English. The structure of sentences is often all wrong. It is gathering dust on my shelf and I have only read about ten pages.
on December 13, 1999
I really enjoyed reading this book. For me Prague is an amazing and beautiful place. Reading this book makes me feel like I'm right back in the city again. I also like the fact that the book is fairly upbeat and easy to read. I definitely recommend reading this book over a Pivo in a Pivovar in Mala Stana.
on September 29, 2007
Great book about an interesting city. I got it whilst I was studying at Charles University. This book gives a great look into the lives of Praguers. If you are like Eastern/ Central European history you should read this book.