Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 13, 2012
Fun historical Christmas anthology. The cover says romance, but there is so much more to the story threads, making it as firm a mixture as fruit cake. But these tales are quite digestible and sweet. 9 authors, from 37 to 55 pages per, & with several aspects connecting them besides the prairie location. You get blizzards, loneliness, new arrivals, snow, rough homes, unwed schoolmarms, prayers, sleighs, deaths/grief, homemade gifts, and numerous recipes. Not to mention a fine selection of Christian authors. More history than preaching, but after all it is a CHRISTmas collection.

___1 TAKE ME HOME- Tracey Bateman- Coon's Hollow, Iowa 1887
New schoolmarm Kathleen--but only till Christmas. She finds courting-to-be different than back home and ma expects a hometown-in-law.

___2 ONE WINTRY NIGHT- Pamela Griffin- Leaning Tree, NE 1871
Ivy is a Boston social castaway. Welch Christmas traditions mix with a bit of blacksmithy romance. Ladyfingers recipe too.

___3 IMAGE OF LOVE- JoAnn A. Grote- Peace MN 1869
After losing her love due to the war, Mantie shuns her Christmas suitor. `Til sleighbells ring!

___4 THE CHRISTMAS NECKLACE- Maryn Langer- Chicago, IL 1871
One of my favorites. The window countess Porter is suddenly homeless due to the Great Chicago fire. Her life, home, status, and love are naught but ash. Can David rekindle? Ending offers a Christmas cobbler recipe-don't burn it. Some Downton Abbey likeness.

___5 A CHRISTMAS GIFT OF LOVE- Darlene Mindrup- Dakota Terr. 1869
Rose, 35, now alone after Papa's death. Her last family. Shaking funeral dirt off her shoes, Rose must decide upon an offered convenience marriage as a future.

___6 GOD JUL- Tracie Peterson- Lindsborg, KS 1884-96?
A Swedish Christmas greeting, spinster Sigrid, 27, will whisper into an ear--but which man will hear? To save the farm, she takes the duty to feed the railroad crew. Is it the 10 Swedish recipes that will win a man's desire?

___7 CIRCLE OF BLESSINGS- Deborah Raney Clairemore, Dakota Terr. 1871
Another favorite. Stella was not a stellar grammar student but she'd sure improve if she was wed to her tutor. But he has a secret past, and Pa's rejection.

___8 CHRISTMAS CAKE- Janet Spaeth- Nebraska
How can new wife, Elizabeth, provide a prairie Christmas on the level of past Boston celebrations? A visiting mother-in-law compounds the anxiety. The ultimate challenge- fruitcake, yes, readers get a prairie fruitcake recipe.

___9 COLDER THAN ICE- Jill Stengl- Coon's Hollow, Iowa 1885
Miss Estelle, the pastor's new secretary, can do it all- edit, piano, cook, wash- but can she love? Who's love will melt the ice in time for Christmas?

A great set of Christmas historical yarns in the manner of another great, but older set, A Log Cabin Christmas Collection --9 Historical Romances during American Pioneer Christmases [available as Kindle Edition or used].
on November 15, 2010
A PRAIRIE Christmas Collection - This 445 page collection contains 9 Historical Christmas Romances From American's Great Plains. From a readers point of view, the amazing thing about this book is the delicate writing style of each of the 9 authors. Their style is not only very different but they also complement each other in a way that only a collection of short stories could do. Each of these talented authors writes in Christian romance fiction. The amazing list of short stories and authors are guaranteed to captivate the readers mind and take them back in time to the Prairie lives of the 1800's.

This book proves to be a remarkable way to spend cozy "alone" time each night by cuddling with a blanket, mug of hot chocolate and this collection of Christmas stories in front of a roaring fire. Each story is so fine tuned that it grabs the readers attention with great detail of the surroundings, winter cold air that rushes in Christmas with a bit of Romance. No two of these authors styles are alike as no two stories are alike. Each is unique in its plot, circumstances and of course romance even when it is not convenient as well as the way they grab and hold the readers attention.

The main characters are not weak women depending on men for survival. In fact they are quite the opposite, they are strong women who can captivate the men of the prairie who fall head over hills in love with them, while remaining true to themselves and their feminine strengths.

I truly enjoyed this collection of short stories. I was drawn to this book because I love Christmas stories. I love historical fiction and Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite authors.

This treasury of Historical Christmas Romances will take the reader back in time to a much different Minnesota and Dakota Territory, the rolling hill of Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois and then down into the flats of Kansas. Each story is filled with faith, inspiration and the strong desire to tame a land while often finding love in the midst of danger and intrigue.

I not only give this book a 5 star but I give each story individually a 5 star. I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a romantic Christmas story from days gone by. Each of them are just the right length to read one before going to sleep each night. This book has deckeled edges that add to that historical time element and for the nostalgic feel. The reader will see American Great Plains in a new and exciting way that will give Christmas a new meaning this year and each year thereafter. I am keeping this book in my personal library, so I can reread it each Christmas season.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Each story in this collection involves women who do not welcome love. For one reason or another, they have shunned any possibility of romance. Their suitors will go to great lengths to soften their hearts. Each story involves a woman's heart being softened not only by their beaus, but also by God

Full of snowy days, sleigh rides, and hot drinks, this collection will make you ready for Christmas and romance! I really hated that I finished this book. I looked forward to losing myself in the stories each day. These stories are simple and sweet.

What a special collection is A Prairie Christmas Collection! There are 9 stories, and they are all equally wonderful. I recommend starting the Christmas season with this book, and grab a copy for a friend!
on October 10, 2010
A Prairie Christmas Collection

9 Historical Christmas Romances
Set in America's Great Plains

Experience Christmas on the historical American Great Plains as retold by nine different multi-published authors, including Tracie Peterson and Deborah Raney. Follow pioneers, immigrants, and orphans through their adventures, heartaches, challenges, victories, and romances. You are sure to find more than one favorite among the nine holiday romances in this unique collection to warm your heart and inspire your faith.

Christmas time is always about family traditions and in these nine novellas one is going to find love, happiness and faith restored as we travel back in history to the great plains of America, from Minnesota to Illinois to Nebraska. As we discover heartache and victory in this great collection.

Nothing goes better in the wintertime and Christmas than a good old fashioned sleigh ride and skating on the pond as we discover in Cold As Ice and Take Me Home as two women discover. When offered a chance at a sleigh ride can they let go of the past and become whole.
When a girl of high society from Boston gets transplanted to Leaning Tree Nebraska can she find peace and solitude and can a lowly blacksmith capture her heart .In One Wintery Night she will discover what matters the most.

I found every story in this book to be great. I usually have a favorite or two out of a novella but I have to say I enjoyed reading each and every one of these. One of my favorite genres to read is the historical novels and Christmas Novels are right at the top also so this book fit the bill perfectly for my reading. I feel everyone will enjoy this book.

I would like to thank Barbour Publishing for proving this ARC through Net Galley for my pleasure of reading. This review is strictly my own opinion of the book.
on October 20, 2014
I have only read about half of the stories, but I enjoyed the most recent one so much I just had to come leave a review. In some of them, I felt that subplots and other story lines somewhat overpowered the main plot, especially since they are shorter stories to begin with. However, the ones I have read so far were still very enjoyable.

Take me Home: This is a sweet story. The hero/heroine story was a great one, and there is a subplot romance that I enjoyed maybe even more than the main one. Beautifully written characters.

One Wintry Night: I enjoyed this story. It was more of a traditional romance with hero/heroine. The hero was a very good, respectable character, self-sacrificing and steady throughout. I came to love him, and it was nice to see the growth of the heroine through the story.

Image of Love: I was surprised by her circumstances of pining for her lost fiance for so many years, but aside from that fact it was a great story otherwise. Again, I really had a lot of respect for the hero, and I liked the sweet way that things came together.

The Christmas Necklace: This was a good story, but it was more about the history and other elements than it was about the romance, which was really a very small element of the plot. So, it would be good if that's what you were expecting, but I prefer the romance to be in the forefront. There were also a couple of story elements that I felt were left with loose ends. The ending was very sweet though.

A Christmas Gift of Love: This is the story that compelled me to write this review. So often it seems that novellas are probably, by design, going to leave the reader wanting to an extent, because of the short length. However, this one proves it doesn't have to be that way. I enjoyed everything about this story. The characters were both respectable and did things exactly as I wanted them to. The romance was sweet from the very beginning and it was a pleasure to watch these two characters fall in love. (This is the story that made me give a 5-star review, without this one, it would have been more like 4)
God Jul: This was a great story. Each chapter began with a related Swedish recipe, which I thought was a nice touch. I really liked the hero, and the triangle set up with the other, not-so-trustworthy man trying to win the heroine's affections. Overall, this was a sweet story and I enjoyed it.

Circle of Blessings: This was such a sweet story! It was a bit slow at times, but I kept reading and was glad I did. I especially loved the "circle of blessings" part that you'll have to read to the end. Very sweet!
Christmas Cake: I loved this one! It was very sweet to see this couple who had been married a short time, and their love for one another. The story shows how they wanted to bless one another for Christmas, and especially the way that Elizabeth worked so hard to bless her husband. She was very resourceful, and even when things went wrong and were discouraging, she didn't let it get her down for long, she just kept at it. Such a sweet story and ending for this one. And, another great recipe.

Colder than Ice: Another great story. There were some things about this one that I felt would have been better had they been able to be fleshed out a bit more--the story left me wanting a bit. However, it was still another sweet romance.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A PRAIRIE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION: 9 HISTORICAL CHRISTMAS ROMANCES FROM AMERICA'S GREAT PLAINS by various authors(Tracie Peterson,Tracey Bateman,JoAnne A. Grote, Maryn Langer, Deborah Raney,Pamela Griffin, Darelene Mendrup, Janet Spaeth and Jill Stengl) is a wonderful inspirational Christmas romance.It is a reprint. It is a sweet romantic tales of days gone by and finding love.It is well written by all the authors. It has romance, faith,determination, courage, adventure, heartache, challenges, victories,sleigh rides, snowy nights, love, opening of hearts,hope and the desire to tame a wild land while trying to find love.All the characters are strong-willed and determined to survive the harsh land and struggles along the way. This is a beautiful Christmas story that show with courage, determination and faith love can find its true heart and survive. I would recommend this book especially if you enjoy sweet Christmas stories by various authors all in one book. This book was received for review from Net Galley and details can be found at Barbour Publishing and My Book Addiction and More.
on December 5, 2010
Not only is the book beautifully made, with a cover that can be used as a bookmark, and pages that are tattered at the edges, and made of great paper, the book is more than a worthy read. It is full of love, hope, acceptance, and warm hearted Christmas stories, about love, family and happy gatherings. It is full of stories about people who get a new perspective as they recognize not only what they should be doing, but what is best to do, and what is really important in life.

It is wonderful to be able to sit down and read one story each evening. It will put you in the Christmas spirit and bless you as you read heart warming stories that uplift and inspire. But most of all it focuses on the reason for the season, the Savior Jesus Christ who came that we might have life, and have it more abundantly.

We need more positive reads in this world, and stories like this are perfect for such a time as this. Light hearted and just pleasant to pass the time with.
on December 25, 2012
"A Prairie Christmas Collection: 9 Historical Christmas Romances from America's Great Plains" is the perfect holiday reader's treat for a "Prairie Woman at Heart" like me. Nine talented authors are featured in this charming Christmas anthology: Tracie Peterson, Tracey Bateman, Pamela Griffin, JoAnn A. Grote, Darlene Mindrup, Deborah Raney, Janet Spaeth, Jill Stengl, and Maryn Langer Smith. Each author spins a heartwarming romantic tale full of seasonal spirit and sentiment, and there are also delicious recipes as an added bonus. Throughout all the stories, the common element of abiding faith resonates. It took great faith to endure the hardships of life on the prairie, and the people who lived and loved during this time of great change in our country are always intriguing and inspiring. Recommended for those who like to get lost in dreams of yesteryear and love that lasts a lifetime.
on November 3, 2011
It's the time of year to start reading Christmas stores, and I always enjoy finding a book of short stories from several different authors. While I have read books from Tracie Peterson, Tracey Bateman and Deborah Raney the rest of the authors were totally new to me. For me historical fiction is one of my favorite genre's to read and that's just what we get in this collection of nine short stories.

In each story the author gives us a strong female lead that isn't to keen on falling in love but does anyway. I loved the positive christian messages woven into each story, and the fact that theses stories are Christmas themed was just an added bonus. A great book to read during the holiday season.

rating 4/5
on April 15, 2011
I don't normally like reading old-time stories, I prefer the modern romance books. However my grandmother gave me a few books and I was desperate for something to read so I decided to try it out. I love the whole book! Such heartwarming stories of a simpler yet at the same time much harder life. I feel like I learned something of the past while being entertained and engrossed all at once. Definitely recommend to anyone needing a good read.