Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on December 28, 2005
Portraits of 23 women from the Hebrew Bible (The Old Testament) are woven into the tapestry of the Eishet Hayil, The Woman of Valor poem from Proverbs.The characteristics of each of the women are linked to a verse from the Woman of Valor poem. Some of these women are so obscure they were not even given names; they're identified by their places of origin or their husbands. The stories are midrashim, Biblical stories that are elaborated upon in the Talmud/the Oral Torah or by writers or historians. At the end of each story the Biblical woman is given a voice of her own. I especially liked the story of Vashti who is often treated negatively. In this case she is given the chance to defend herself. Even though this book is written by Orthodox Jewish women it has feminist overtones.
on September 26, 2015
I first read this book back in approximately 2006 when I took a course on women in the OT. We read this as an example of how Biblical women's stories can be used beyond what is merely in the texts. I recently found it at a library and checked it out again for a reread, and I remember why I loved it so much!

In sum, the book discuses 23 women of the Hebrew Bible (the so called "OT"), from the well-known such as Sarah to the obscure such as the wife of Obadiah. Each author (this is a compilation) not only retells each woman's story, but she also provides an excerpt through that woman's voice where she discusses her experiences and what wisdom she has to share from said experiences. So not only do you learn a lot more about the Bible, but you also get to look at these stories from a different perspective: from the women who were part of it.

What I also like about this book is that even though it is written from an Orthodox Jewish perspective, you certainly do not have to be Jewish to get something out of it. These stories and the women featured in these stories are so relatable and moving that I think any woman could find some inspiration and wisdom reading it. I remember when we discussed the book in my class, several Christians (both women and men) said that they were very inspired by this book, too. So even though the target audience appears to be Jewish women, I don't think you necessarily have to be Jewish to appreciate this one.
on September 8, 2014
Very thoughtful read. Enjoyed the perspective.