This amp has tons of power, actually too much for most headphones, I think it was designed with the old 600ohm AKG 240 DF in mind.
With lower impedance phones it first seemed out of control. I had a 75ohm etymotic er4P to S adapter (basically 2 75ohm resistors, one on each channel) which made a huge difference.
I tried it with Sennheiser HD580 and it sounded...
Published on February 1, 2009 by Erez Katz

2.0 out of 5 stars Louder does not mean Better
Published on October 24, 2008 by H. G. GARZA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars great for it's intended use, good sound and very good value for money, February 1, 2009
This review is from: PreSonus HP4 4-Channel Compact Headphone Amplifier (Electronics)
I tried it with Sennheiser HD580 and it sounded pretty good (with the adapter). It is very clean amp, no distortion or coloration to the sound. Very neutral and no noise. And you got 4 in one package.
I compared it to other portable "audiophile" amps: pimeta and Meyer Move. It stacked up to them pretty well. It was not better than them but not too far behind either.

For studio applications where musicians need to listen to themselves play, or have a few people monitor a recording it is fantastic amp, it sounds great and it is not expensive.
For critical home listening, there are dedicated home amps that are better but they are more expensive and have only one headphone output.

4.0 out of 5 stars good unit!, March 15, 2007
fff3k (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
excellent sound, volume. the 'monitor mute' button is really useful.

replaced a cheaper headphone amp, and was well worth it!

(nice design, as well)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great amp for a cue mix., September 20, 2007
I have to agree with the product description. It offers clarity: great sound with little noise. I picked one up for my home project studio...I have my rig set up in my living room and use my bedroom as a default iso booth...so I use this to send a separate cue mix to the "talent". Works great...good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with purchase, August 6, 2011
Comparing amps, and reading other reviews on the HP4, it is obvious that this amp is on the lower end of the spectrum. However, saying that, it is true that you pay a little for a lot, and then a lot for a little more. I think this amp is one of the best in it's price range. It is the most I can afford and does the job. I have coupled it with a Presonus Audiobox USB, two KRK Rokit 5s, and a pair AKG K271 Studio cans - it works great with the Audiobox, charging the sound that comes through to the AKGs making it clear, loud, and punchy. I think that I have got a lot for a little and that it will cost a lot more when I am ready to upgrade. I became a bit fussy when reseaching all this as the basic truth is that this amp is great for a home studio. The constuction is great, the sound is good for it's price, the only nagging thing with it is that the connecting can be a bit dicky. However, overall, a great first amp.

I will update this in 6 months if anything changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is, May 26, 2010
Compared to the Behringer AMP800, this thing is awesome. Compared to a Grace m902, it's a piece of garbage. That's how it goes with any product. It's built like a tank though, and well worth $129.

It IS super-loud. I use it in my studio for the musicians during recording. Drummers LOVE this thing, compared to my other headphone sources, because they can really crank it to hear everything over the drums. Sometimes I cringe when I see where the volume knob is after a session. I can only turn it up to 8 or 9 o'clock without melting my brain!

I haven't really used it as an audiophile heaphone amp, because I have other products for that, but as a HP amp for a few musicians to record some music, it works like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, November 12, 2007
I picked up two of these units for recording sessions, one for the engineer desk and one for the producer desk. The fact that each person has an independent volume control makes everyone happy. The first unit feeds the second one through the monitor output. These small units give good value for the money.
It's important to heed the mfr.'s instructions to start with the volume control down low and then turn it up slowly--with +4 dBm in, we set our volume to about 9 o'clock, and that's plenty!

4.0 out of 5 stars Presonus, Please update your specs and images! Encourage your sellers to do the same., May 24, 2014
M. Gettemeier (Saint Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
After comparing all the headphone amps in this price-range, I felt like the HP4 was the clear choice, and I still do. If that changes over time, I will revise this review.

Kudos to Presonus for making a headphone amp with some really high specs in this price-range. I think the SN and THD spec should be promoted more than it is. I considered some lower-budget options, such as the Behringer, which is dirt-dirt cheap at $25, however it's discouraging to see a total lack of real specs, and even for a virtual throw-away product (at that price)... I'm just not supporting a company that doesn't share or doesn't know the specs on their own products. I expect the bulk of the positive reviews on that, and the Rolls option... are because the product is just SO cheap.

The Rolls HA43 was the other option that I strongly considered, even though it doesn't appear to be anywhere near the quality of the HP4. If you look at specs on the Rolls, it's not bad.

Here's why I chose the HP4:

1) Mono-summing button.
2) Monitor volume, plus monitor mute button.

Aside from that, I was happy to see higher specs than the "competition" (if you can call it competition, because I'd say the HeadAmp4 is more likely the direct competitor to the Rolls... and since this amp is twice the price of either, it's in it's own category).

Now here's my criticism:

The updated power-supply is 12v. Presonus, you might want to go through your website and notify your distributors to update this information. This amp has been 12v in for a while... still, even on your own website... I see reference to 16v. I've also seen the output listed as 130mW and/or 150mW (like on the box of the one I just bought)... so... which is it? You'll find pictures of the new version and the old version intermixed on many sites, including your own (downloads page).

I'm happy that you've shrunk the 16v power-supply, literally and physically, down to 12v... thank you for that... but there's an in-line power-switch? I understand you probably have to keep using the chassis that's been mass-produced and to keep costs down... but how nice it would be to have that little 12v conversion INSIDE of the box... since it shrank so much, couldn't we just have the two-pin AC cord... as it plugs into the little 12v "brick"... instead plugging into the back of the unit with the guts of that 12v brick inside? The mute and mono switch on the front of the unit are tiny... and I have lots of electronics that have a tiny rocker on the back... A switch on the unit would be nice.

I would have loved to see these details in the latest release of this headphone amp. I'll be traveling with this... and I'm working out a way to keep a kit organized and together. The less ancillary stuff that plugs into each component... the better. Ask anyone if they'd rather have an adapter, or straight power to a bit of kit... it's a no-brainer.

If you're shopping a used one, read this:

The newest version of this amp uses a 12v adapter instead of 16v... and the face of the unit says "Presonus" as the left side, and "HP4" between the 2nd and 3rd knobs. You can also see the nuts under the knobs on the face of the earlier units, and the newer version hides those behind the face-plate. The seller I bought from said they had to open the box to see if it's a 12v input, but it says so right on the box... so I think I talked them into selling an open-box item as new.

If you're buying used... the reason I'd note these differences is the unit could be a lot older than you think... unless you can see it has these details showing it's the newest version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Louder does not mean Better, October 24, 2008
I used my Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones for testing this product. My headphones are rated to support 1800MA, and this Amp is rated at 150MA, and, as a reference, an IPOD Classic is not Officially rated, but unofficial testings over the Internet mention that it is more than less 30 to 35MA. The sound theory says that, to hear 3dB louder, you have to double the input power. Thus, this amp will drive 6dB to 7dB louder your headphones, compared to plug them directly to an Apple iPod classic 80 GB Black (6th Generation).

It has four independent outputs, thus, 4 persons can hear at their favorite volume the same music.

I can say that the amp, "works", so you will hear a little bit louder your headphones, but, if your are an audiophile, the poor quality of the components will make you bypass this amp when experiencing music encoded at high quality (+224kbps). You can really hear the difference in quality when connecting the headphones direct to the source.

It is a good option to see TV at late night and not disturbing your roomates usign your headphones. It is balanced for a price-value ratio.

I rated 2 stars because the loss of quality when using it for music.

I will save money, and I will purchase a serious thing later, maybe spending more than 500 bucks on the new one, being convinced that a cheap product will not make miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Dig This Device, June 4, 2014
The PreSonus HP 4 is the front end of our studio headphone seat up. We couple this with the Furman HR-2 in the booth and we have an affordable, great sounding headphone control system. Get one for your studio and save a few buck without sacrificing quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Power, very portable for all set ups., May 6, 2014
Josue Caban (LAKEWOOD, CO, US) - See all my reviews
My step sons used one Mp3 player between them and they had two drum sets just cranking away. The product is rock solid, easy to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›