5.0 out of 5 stars Great
I rented this book from Amazon for a summer course. This is the way to go for students on a tight budget. The book's condition was perfect and came to me on time.
Published 14 months ago by deltalady

2.0 out of 5 stars book
Published on September 19, 2011 by Heather Wiedemann

2.0 out of 5 stars book, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Prebles' Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts, 10th Edition (Paperback)
This book is being used for an art class,the only real problem is the description lead me to believe that it came with the "myartslab" access key. So a week and $90 something dollars plus shipping later, I find out that it did not contain the access code... Leading me to have to purchase the access code a week after I ordered the book for another $40 plus dollars. I could have purchased it at the campus bookstore for a little less and had it when the class started. This is one purchase from amazon that I'm not happy with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to other editions, May 11, 2012
It is very similar to previous editions, and it is most definitely not worth the price the publisher charges. Its the old scheme (Lets add a chapter and some pictures and charge 120 $ for some book we invested a decade ago and recovered our loses a long time ago)

I felt like this book ignored classical artists and instead put the focus on some random contemporary (still alive) artists, who did very little in term of accomplishments. Granted this book is used as an introduction to art, but it is an inaccurate introduction, at an inflated price. It still puzzles me why some universities make use of it. Students should be learning the origins of art and the reasons for its developments in different parts of the world, not examples on how some popular artists do art today in America.

Thats it, thats what I was trying to review: The examples are horrible, the material itself is ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars MyArtsLab No-functionality, March 8, 2012
As with the other person's review, I too liked the book. Plus the "A la carte" design makes it easy to take just a few pages around with me.
I have nothing against the book's authors or publisher, so please keep that in mind as you read my later paragraphs. In review of the book itself, there's a chance some of you might find the vocabulary a bit daunting, as the juxtapositions of elongated words are at times unique. I on the other hand rather enjoyed the author's free use of a diverse lexicon. Though I'm pretty sure imact (p132) is a typographical error for impact, unless maybe the author is using an artistic license liberally.

But as the other reviewer discovered; the "myartslab" codes-DO NOT WORK-and are useless, unless your instructor takes part in them.
The code I received was new, unused, and I also had used a lab code for another book before without problems. For this book however Pearson, the online source company, requires that instructors take part in order to utilize the content at all, period, end of story. Because my instruct does not, I had no instructor "course code" and hence the "student code" was useless. Even though much of the online content has little to do with the instructors. The codes are already only good for one year, for which I also see no logical reasoning.

I contacted Pearson directly about their online content. They weren't even friendly, then suggested it was completely the seller's fault-utter nonsense. The packaging for the code says nothing at all on the outside about requiring the instructor ID code to operate, rather it does explain so on the inside-after-you break the seal. All I wanted was to listen to the prerecorded audio files, (the code offers) so why am I denied access to those files after buying their product? I call shenanigans.

I question the legitimacy of a company selling an educational product, where only after purchasing will the buyer learn that the product is not usable because he isn't part of a very specific group. That the product is non refundable after learning this, and the company making the material will simply blame these faults on the distributor, ie. amazon. The mycomplab content by pearson for my other textbook didn't require this, but they have much the same types of online content.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm never buying something with myartslab/mycomplab or anything from pearson ever again, unless it's cheaper than buying the book alone. If you're reading this and your instructor hasn't said he/she takes part in the online content, my suggestion is to save some money and buy the book without the code. If you're an instructor and don't feel like dealing with pearson, please clearly warn your students against this company, and their strange secret rules.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't get what you pay for, December 26, 2012
When you buy this book it comes with a internet study guide to help you understand the art pieces if you need a little extra help, however they want to charge you 100.00 more for an access code that you should get when buying the book new. I contacted Amazon thinking that the card fell out of the book because I didn't get mine, they quickly sent me a new book and it too did not have the card in it. I contacted Prebles letting them know that the books were published without the card and they just told me to buy the access code....
I just paid 130.00 for the book, which included the code. They didn't care at ALL.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't put only half of Ogata Korin's Cranes in your book and try to do a formal analysis of it., August 18, 2013

When teaching people about formal analysis, you can't just describe half the painting! Eesh!

There are two parts to Ogata Korin's Cranes piece. Their analysis of this piece seems subjective and odd.

Also, putting Africa, the Americas and the indigenous people of Australia all in one chapter... fail.

Esp. when you dedicated multiple chapters to western art history.

It is a good book though to teach college students to question the validity and bias of what they are reading.

Also, to question the idea of art as something that will lift your spirits, which I feel is the angle this book takes.

Often it describes art as something that will give you positive feelings, but sometimes effective makes you mad, or agitated, or confused.

Also the definition of creativity is ridiculous! Ugh!

But, alas, they do have many interesting artists in the book. I just think that if you removed the fluffy language and let the students decide how they want to define and understand art, instead of trying to push this feel good idea on them, it would be a much more effective book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 11, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, April 10, 2013
Honestly I ordered this for a art course and I wasn't that thrilled about the book. A lot of it was stuff I could have simply opened my Art History textbook for or looked up online. I rarely actually used the book for class unless there was something I couldn't find anywhere else. I felt like there was a lot of irrelevant information that really didn't make sense in certian aspects of the learning. If I would of known beforehand that the book was useless I would have never even ordered it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Book but Papers of the Book., August 27, 2011
Everything is fine with it except the fact that it's not a book, book. Basically, it has all the pages one by one.

Personally, this is a good and bad thing. The bad: you pay only $25 less for a downgrade. The good: you don't have to carry around the whole book and it's already whole punched for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good textbook., July 7, 2014
I'm not much into whole art discussion, but this book made the class very easy. The author has a very approachable writing style and thus it was an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save $ & rent text books!, July 3, 2014
This is my first rental experience & I'm loving it!

Prebles' Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts, 10th Edition
Prebles' Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts, 10th Edition by Patrick Frank (Paperback - October 9, 2010)
Used & New from: $14.00