Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Luxury Beauty Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 3, 1997
I picked out this book at the library six years ago. It was small and in ten minutes "The Precious Present" changed my life. It provided answers to my lifelong search as to what my purpose in life was after experiencing a near death experience three years earlier. I needed a way to explain why I was living my life the way I was...and Spencer Johnson expressed it for me in this tiny book. I had changed from my experience. Realizing that my life was precious, I began to enjoy the precious present even more because it was all BONUS for me. I started to take more time for friends, family and total strangers who needed someone to listen to them or just to acknowledge them because I could empathize with most of their problems. I brought the book home from the library and tried to order copies. None were to be found in my small town, so I called each of my sisters (I have four) and read it to each of them over the phone. That evening I read it to my husband. We talked about how important it was to live in the now and to let the past go as it can make many of us so miserable; like repaying a house payment that you already paid....it is silly to keep going back hurting each time. We discussed the future and how so many things we worry about never happen. Little did I to know that three days later, my darling husband, Michael, would die of a heart attack in my arms. I was so happy that we had had the discussion just days earlier. I knew we were living in the precious present and that is all that mattered. Now I am a senior at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. I will graduate in May of next year - 33 years after completing high school - and finally fulfilling my goal of so long ago. Yes, once a month I get this book out and read it - just to remember why I am still here and to help myself cope with the new stresses I have placed upon myself to complete my Organizational Communications degree. It is with great joy that I recommend this wonderful little book. Rick Pattino reads it to his college basketball players before each season....it helps us realize our reasons for being here. I have given copies to many of my friends after I could finally get copies and enjoy just reading it with new friends. Give yourself a present - read this little book and see what I am talking about! Cherie Schubeck
0Comment99 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 1999
I read this book thirteen years ago when a friend was in a coma in a hospital in Texas. Wherever you are in life, I think we could all use a little enlightenment that we are doing the 'right' things- or some direction on where to find these sought after 'untarnishable treasures' that make the joys more joyous and the pain worth it all in the adventure we call the human experience. This is a book for the handicapped, for the lost, the lonely, the numb, the bewildered, the confused, and yes... even for those who consider themselves to be well rounded and sucessful. Spencer Johnson has lived it, or he couldn't write it at the third grade reading level. He brings us all a little closer to that elusive me-I'm-glad-to-be person whether you are young or, old, rich or poor, happy or sad. You may be divorced, married, widowed/widower or single ...but the one thing you cannot remain after reading this book, is INDIFFERENT. After reading this book and incorporating it's message listen closely, and you'll likely hear someone say "Wow, I hope somday some one gives me..." well, you know. :-)
0Comment37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 1999
This easy to read book will affect the life of anyone who reads it. It warrants reading time and time again. It is perfect to give to the person who thinks they have everything. It is a suttle but powerful, positive, personality builder. It is one of the book we read to our children and grandchildren as well as a gift for special occasions. When it was necessary to move to another area, I gave a copy to my primary care physician. It generated the only "thank you note" I've received from any doctor. More than once The Precious Present has been a subject for the support group to which I belong. I rate this a 5 star book but that is far to low in my estimation!
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2001
The first time I encountered this book was about a year and a half ago. I was a freshman in high school and was on the varsity swim team. My coach, recently inducted into the National Interscholastic Swim Coaches Assossiation Hall of Fame, read this book to us early one morning before 5:30 AM swim practice. he had been reading this book to his swimmers for years, but I was just a freshman and the expierence was new to me. I had heard from the upperclassmen of Coach's storytelling, but it did not prepare me for what was about to come. We all sat anxiously awaiting Coach to start. Slowly he opened the book, stared at the first page and began to read to us as if he were our grandfather telling us a story from his past. His soft voice gave me chills up and down my spine. He read slowly and precisely. Time seemed to stand still. The thirty teenagers were dead silent. We savored ever word. He told us of the boy and the old man and how different they were. he told us of how the old man wanted the boy to recieve the precious present. He told us of how the boy spent his whole life looking for the precious present. We thought of how we were looking for th precious present in our lives and in our sport. Intrigue by the story we continued to listen. As the boy now an old man found the precious present I felt a lump in my throat and felt chills down me spine. I knew coach was a wise man, but I hadn't realize the extent of his wisdom. He knew how to get through to the impenetrable. He knew how to touch the untouchable. He knew how to teach the unteachable. He taught us that we needed to think in present to reach the unreachable. Coach Landtroop has coach several teams to Texas State Championships and National Championships. He does this by using the powerful message of this book to inspire his swimmers. This book teaches a lesson to anyone you is willing to listen. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!
11 comment20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2004
Because I have had some misfortunes in my life, I used to dwell on my past a lot. This also made me plan for the future a lot because I was never happy with myself. This book though, has really helped me live in the present moment! I can really say that I am a happier person because I read this book. The other completely excellent book that has helped put this in even better perspective is "The Ever-Transcending Spirit" by Toru Sato. That one is also a fantastic book! Like Gandhi said, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." These books are very true to the spirit of people like this!
on August 30, 2002
Spencer Johnson has written another wonderful parable much deeper in meaning than it initially appeared. I am amazed at his ability to capture my life's common and often taken-for-granted moments and teach me how to see what I too often fail to see.

I related to this book as a first-time dad with a toddler son. Taking and making time to be there for my wife and son in the "precious present" is something I truly treasure. In my efforts to be a better husband and father, this book renewed and reinforced my commitments to them.

Lou Holtz, the dynamic and successful college football coach and motivational speaker, wrote, "I am not what I want to be, I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I am going to be, but thank God, I am not what I used to be." That quote sums up how I feel about my ability to constantly live in the precious present. Johnson's book will now be a frequent `reality check' for me and I recommend it to anyone who might need a quick reminder of what makes the present so precious.
on December 25, 1999
This is a short, straight foreward book. It provides a wonderful message and is very pleasent to read. It simply reminds you how to live in this "present" day. It's a good read; but an even better gift.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2003
After reading this to my son one Christmas he asked me to come in and read it to his third grade class...I took my time reading it to them and they loved it - and understood its meaning quite well for 9 year olds. A great story within a story - one for everyone of all ages to read.
on June 13, 2005
The Present tackles issues that take us, mere mortals, by our horns.

The book is actually an eye-opener on the fact that we, all of us, spend our lives, pondering over petty things, or big things, that never happened in the Past or might happen in the Future. According to the book, our life is like a camera placed on a tripod. The three legs of the tripod represent:

The Present

The Past &

The Future

While it is important that we never forget the past, it is also important that we do not make ourselves sick by worrying about the unknown Future and the long-gone Past. The Present that any person can get is to live in the Present moment, cherish the Present moment. 'Coz the Present moment after a while will become the Past.

How True!

I always do these mistakes myself. It was like a slap on my face when I read these words. I brood over the Past and think about the mistakes I did and cry over spilt milk. However what I should do is I should live in the Present, live for the Present wholly and completely and not waste the moment that is NOW!

So here is the review:

The Present is about being Present in the Present and treating it as a Present. Live for the moment and plan for the future so that the Future is no more scary and uncertain. This should be done after learning from any mistakes done in the Past. Learn from mistakes done in the Past and forget them. Also if possible forgive people who were involved in the Past. This helps you to lessen your burden and you tend to carry a lighter load on your Back Heart Chakra!

In the long run you save yourself a couple of thousand dollars in Doctor's bills. Do yourself a help. Read the Present and pass it on to people you care about.
on January 10, 2004
How can such a short book say so much? I remember my mother telling me when I was younger that we always say, "When I graduate, life will be better", "When I get married, life will be better", "When the kids grow up, life will be better". Spencer Johnson puts my mother's thoughts into words. Today IS better....and I am grateful for his words. I have owned this book for 10 years and continue to read it to remind me of the fact that I am definitely living the Precious Present. This one is a keeper!