5.0 out of 5 stars A review from a fitness repair technician.
I have been in the fitness repair business for about 10 years now servicing Baltimore Maryland and surrounding area. I have worked on most Makes & Models from every treadmill manufacturer. I thought I would give a little incite in the business.

Published on March 15, 2012 by Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars updated review having owned and daily used for 18 months
Published 21 months ago by zoogirl

5.0 out of 5 stars A review from a fitness repair technician., March 15, 2012
This review is from: Precor 9.23 Treadmill with Ground Effects Technology (Sports)

If your on the fence about buying this treadmill, just buy it. This treadmill is absolutely no frills. So if you're looking for ipod/mp3 support, dozens of programs and virtual touch screens etc, you will want to look elsewhere. Nordic Track sells THOSE types of treadmills that are all FRILLS and horrible quality parts. Nordic Track sells nice looking treadmills that have a lot of nice features, but when it boils down to durability and longevity, you will not find that in Nordic Track. I have serviced 1000s of Nordic Tracks where sometimes a part that is needed for a repair exceeds the price of the treadmill itself! Nordic Track re-brands their units as well (Reebok, EPIC, Pro Form) Same machines, different colors. End Rant.

This Precor treadmill has a 5 year warranty on all parts (1 year Labor.) Warranty is one of the first things you want to look at when deciding to buy a treadmill. For instance, a treadmill with a 1 year warranty, they are basically saying, Hey, here is a $1500 treadmill we think will last you about 1 year with no problems, GOOD LUCK!

Precor & Landice is where you should go for treadmills. Life fitness has some decent residential treadmills, but commercial treadmills is where they do well.

In conclusion

PROS:
5 Year PARTS WARRANTY, 1 YEAR LABOR
High Quality parts (Thick strong walking belt, 1 Inch thick Deck, strong motor and drive belt.

CONS:
No frills console (Lack of program diversity, no ipod/mp3 support.
If your looking for those features, you CAN try a nordic track but do buy the extended warranty if you must. Trust me, you'll need it.

Maintenance tips:
Wipe down the machine on a weekly basis (The side rails, and the small space between the side-rails and the belt. Wipe down sweat off machine.

=)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy No Frills Treadmill, February 10, 2012
Linda (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I read many reviews on Amazon, a popular consumer's magazine, and online before I made this purchase. I also went to local stores to try them out. This is my first treadmill and I wanted it to be stable and dependable. So far, I am very happy with my treadmill.
DELIVERY: When you purchase a treadmill from Amazon, they will deliver it inside your front door. This is important because curbside delivery means they will leave it at the street in front of your house. I could not have moved the treadmill into the house by myself. The delivery company phoned and scheduled a delivery time two days before delivery. The delivery company called me 10 minutes before they delivered it. They actually brought it into my house and put it in the room I wanted on our main floor.
ASSEMBLY: Assembly was pretty easy. My husband and I watched the precor video on youtube on how to assemble the 9.23 and went to work. It took us about an hour and 15 minutes. Everything lined up well.
CONSTRUCTION: The treadmill is very sturdy for walking and jogging.
TREADMILL MAT: We purchased the 6 mm ProImpact Treadmill Mat ProImpact Treadmill Mat from Amazon. It fits perfectly under the treadmill and I think it will protect my hardwood floor.
OPERATION: The treadmill does not have a fan, speakers, ifit or anything fancy but it is quiet and works perfectly. It's easy to adjust the speed and incline. There is a magazine rack that easily holds an ipad. I like the size of the belt because it is plenty long enough and not too wide. I don't miss the side rails.
I would recommend this treadmill to others looking for a reliable treadmill.

5.0 out of 5 stars First treadmill, January 5, 2012
Buying a treadmill has been one of the most frustrating purchases I have ever made. Worse than any car, TV, or even my wife's wedding ring. You're plagued by biased affiliate websites and fake 5 star reviews on treadmills that skew your research. You read 50 reviews on how phenomenal the treadmill is and how customer service is such a delight to deal with, but then some reviews describe a horrendous experience. I almost pulled the trigger on multiple treadmills (sole f80, proform 995, lifespan 1200, bowflex7series) but found too many scary reviews. So I decided to go quality and picked up the Precor 9.23. Delivery was fine as the dropped right inside my house, however moving it requires a minimum of two people. Set-up was a breeze with assistance for a couple steps.

The belt required slight adjustment because it was a little of centered, pretty easy correction. Set-up the precor 9.23 is a sleek, refined, and sturdy treadmill without all the fancy bells and whistles. The 9.27 isn't worth the extra cash for a couple extra programs and extra grips, but just my opinion. If you can get the precor 9.23 under 1700 I would for sure pull the trigger! When I bought there were nine left and they sold out in 5 days!

UPDATE 2/25/14 - I am changing this to 5 stars, it has been running perfectly and couldn't be happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars updated review having owned and daily used for 18 months, March 24, 2013
I purchased a new precor 9.23 treadmill a little over a month ago from a local sporting goods store. I chose this no-frills treadmill based on it being extremely comfortable to run on, reliable and manufactured by a reputable company. The assembly was simple and it appears to be a substantial piece of equipment. About 25 minutes into my first run on the treadmill, the motor popped loudly and the treadmill stopped working. I called precor customer service and they were very helpful in supplying a list of service vendors close to me. Within the day, a technician came out and determined that I needed a new motor since the motor was defective. Several weeks later, the new motor was installed. I have been using the treadmill daily for about three weeks now. I have called customer service one more time because the time it takes to adjust speeds is ridiculously high (based on owning previous treadmills and using gym treadmills as a comparison)--for example, it takes 35 seconds to adjust from a 6.3 speed to a 4.1 speed and visa versa. When I am doing intervals, it is very frustrating (when I am ready to walk, I don't want it to take another 35 seconds to get to that speed!) Customer service told me this is a common customer complaint and as of now is a programming issue that cannot be fixed. The heart rate monitor feature does not work (I haven't called customer service about this because I am assuming it also is part of its faulty programming). For example, I wear a heart rate monitor and the treadmill reads 93 after running for 20 minutes while my heart rate monitor is reading 171! I have tried the heart rate feature multiple times with no success. I really hope this treadmill lasts for a very long time, because that is all it really has going for it--reliability (fingers crossed). Bottom line, precor, if you are going to charge a premium (in comparison to comparable treadmills on the market) for a no-frills treadmill bearing your brand name, then you better make darn sure that all the basic components work VERY well!

UPDATE 4/2/13
Precor contacted me (unsolicited) as a follow up to my concern about the software issues. They were extremely professional and helpful in resolving my concerns. They told me that a software update fixing the slow adjustment of speed is in testing phase and will be available within a few weeks at which point they will contact me to set up a time to install the new software. I must say I am extremely impressed with precor's customer service and making sure I am happy with my purchase. I was feeling slightly disappointed, but now I feel very happy to have a company stand by its product in the way precor has! With the new update fixing the software issues and the comfort of the treadmill, I would now highly recommend this treadmill. It is amazing how precor will take care of you even after you purchase their product!! Thank you precor for being such a reputable and customer friendly company!
UPDATE 6/12/14
The treadmill has no less than 4 times in the past 16 months given me the error code: speed error 26. We have had multiple tech come out to fix it. It will remained fixed for a few months only to give out the same error code (and become non functional until a tech "repairs" it. Honestly I have have better luck with proform equipment. The upside is that precor has great customer service but unfortunately they have yet to permanently fix this very annoying problem. This machine is obviously a lemon. I purchased a no frills machine for its longevity and reliability but this has just not been the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Treadmill, April 1, 2013
I consider myself a pretty experienced runner, my last tread took a beating, needed some minor repairs, but for the most part was solid. This tread surpasses that one by light years! It's extremely heavy duty, definitely made for high mileage running. Delivery was excellent, company called a few days before to schedule time, and then called again about an hour before to make sure I was home. Delivered it into the front entry way of my home, unfortunately that's the furthest they could go. Had to call on the help of a few friends to get it to a second story loft where it now sits. Assembly was a breeze, and maintenance is minimal, for the most part just keeping the exterior of the treadmill clean. Easily one of the most quiet treadmills I've run on, deck is heavy duty, and controls are simple. I really had no need for iPod controls or a fan, just wanted a durable treadmill that I could count on. I've logged quite a few miles on it so far, and to date have not had one issue. If you are on the fence, get off it! Buy this treadmill!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work upon arrival, January 14, 2013
Kelly (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Assembled in approximately 1 hour. Did not work after assembly. The problem has been diagnosed as a faulty connector in the wiring. Precor customer service was quick to answer their phone and helped us trouble shoot the problem. My husband is an electrical engineer so he was able to diagnose the issue. Had he not been able to diagnose, we would have had to have a Precor technician come out to diagnose the problem. Precor shipped the bottom wire (the one that is working) via 2 day air, but no replacement for the top wire. We called and the wire we need is on back order until mid-February. By that time, we will have had a non-working treadmill for a month. Very frustrating!

1.0 out of 5 stars Precor 9.23 Treadmill arrived DOA, January 27, 2013
It's pretty simple, I set up everything correctly (Jan 25th); re-verified electrical connections three time during assembly. When I turn on the console, it powers up...I selected quick start..but the belt/motor fails to turn on and I get an error code E26 "Speed signal is not being received"; operator manual says "call for service". I thought I was buying a good quality piece of equipment..apparently Precor has no quality control offshore? How hard is it to check the operation before it leaves the factory? The service man showed up today (Jan 30), it turns out that there is a faulty cable; the yellow wire has a bad crimp at the connector, hence there is no communication between the console and motor PCB. Well the service man says the cable is back ordered...based on other reviews/research this sounds like a common issue of late...Precor, this is all the more reason for you to check treadmill functionality before it leaves the factory..now I wait to find out how long the cable is back ordered???

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe the Hype - Not Reliable, October 26, 2013
I bought this treadmill in January. I researched treadmills and, partially on the basis of the glowing reviews I read here on Amazon (and other sites), I was convinced Precor was the best brand. I understood the 9.23 to be lacking in bells and whistles, but a much better, more reliable, and lower maintenance unit than other brands. It turns out, that could not have been more incorrect.

Out of the box, I set the unit up and tried to start it up. The belt would not move and the display read: "26 -Speed Error." I assumed maybe I'd done something wrong, but couldn't figure it out. Since the unit comes with a one year warranty, I called Precor, who referred me to a local repair place. The repair techinican came out and took and look, disassembled the unit, tested all the pieces and put it back together. After that it worked for a few days, before having the same issue again (belt would not start "Speed Error" on the display. I had the local repair shop come out again - this time they replaced a part, tested it, and everything worked fine for a while again. Then, after another week or two, it reverted to the same problem. The technicain was a different one and he took the unit apart, tested everything again, and told me everything was running correctly. After this visit (which was in March, I believe), the treadmill worked fine for several months. I was convinced that whatever problem the unit had, it was behind me. It is now late October 2013 and I am now experiencing the same problem - the belt will not move and I am having the display read "26 - Speed Error."

At this point, it is time to admit this is a terrible piece of machinery. I would never recommend Precor to anyone. Even if the repair technicians get the unit fixed within the one-year warranty period (hopefully by doing something other than simply taking it apart and putting it back together), I am confident that the same issue with the belt and the "Speed Error" message will happen again given time. At that point, I'll be coming out of pocket to fix this thing. Don't believe the hype - buy a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great treadmill - just buy it, March 6, 2013
I bought a Precor treadmill (9.1) about 17 years ago, and it was the most reliable piece of exercise equipment I ever owned. In fact, it was probably the most reliable ANYTHING I ever owned. But nothing lasts forever, and a few weeks ago, my baby came to a grinding halt. Literally! It owed me nothing, of course. I went shopping for another, and a Precor was what I wanted. I was surprised the prices had come down to where they are now, and happy to see that, as it was within my budget.
Everything was great, other than delivery. The delivery company gave us a four hour window, then called to tell us they couldn't make it that day right at the end of the four hour window. We persuaded the driver to come anyway, and he did, several hours late. But he showed up alone, brought the treadmill to the front door, and not seeing an easy way in, just left it stranded in the driveway. Ugh. And it was raining. Shame on you!
I ultimately solved that problem myself, assembled it and gave it a run. Beautiful! I love it. Only problem with it is the cupholders are too wide and shallow. I'll fix that by inserting something else in the space within the cupholder, but I wonder what Precor was thinking with that design?
Thanks, a great treadmill, and please get your delivery company to do the right thing next time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Treadmill!, February 14, 2012
First purchased treadmill and its everything i was looking for! Setup was super easy and delivery was a breeze! I was a little familiar with Precor from my local gym so when I was ready to actually purchase a treadmill, I knew Precor would be stable, quite, and quality! Best $1599 spent in a long time!