Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

Format: Blu-rayChange

on May 14, 2014
I won't review the movies; you like them or you don't. I enjoy all three.

You get three blu-rays (not one) in a standard 3-tray blu-ray case (not stacked one on top the other): Predator UHE, Predator 2 (standard release with original extras), and Predators (standard release with original extras). There is no slipcover, no DVD copies, or digital downloads. Perfect.

I never had a problem with the "scrubbing" done on the Predator UHE release. I watched it again two nights ago and thought it looked great; not distracting in the least, and much better than the original blu-ray release. I go for entertainment value and story, not technical minutia. The other two look great as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2012
If you're looking at this item, odds are you already know whether or not you like these movies, so I'm not going to waste time talking about the artistic merit of them. While I enjoy them quite a bit, Predator is essentially 2 hours of Arnold screaming, Predator 2 is Danny Glover and Gary Busey chasing a Predator that's also maybe chasing them and oh man drug wars, and Predators is Adrian Brody trying to be Not Adrian Brody while things die horribly. These movies shouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as they are, really.

Anyways, the picture quality and audio quality is what you would want from a blu-ray collection. Everything looks quite nice, and the sounds, while not superb, do have some high points, such as the sheen of a sharp object being thrown.

My reason for purchasing this was to have a matching set to the Alien Anthology. While it has nothing on that in terms of the sheer volume of content, it is definitely a serviceable companion, albeit one that clearly had next to none of the love that AA had put into it.

As for the negatives, the digital copies that are included of all three films are troublesome. For one, they're practically advertised to you even though you've already purchased the product. Half of the back cover for each individual case is dedicated to the digital copy, and each case contains a second disc. Make sure you are strapped in, folks, because this might just blow your mind.

If you put the second disc into your computer, a window opens that lets you enter in the serial code for that films digital copy.

Of the 6 discs in this set, 3 of them are simply another layer of DRM. On the plus side, you now have three discs you can try to make a Predator Disc out of once you've redeemed all your digital copies.

The larger issue with the digital copy is that most people are going to try to redeem it through iTunes. Well, unless you live in the UK or Ireland, where this is originally sold, you can't. The discs are region free, but your codes won't be region free if you use them with iTunes. I went through Fox customer service and they were actually pretty easy about the whole thing. My suggestion is to redeem the code for the Windows Media Player copy, which IS region free, and use a program of your choice to convert it to a format that plays on your device of choice.

To be clear, this review is for the white set with the cover art depicting the sideshot of a Predator mask.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
For this great price I got a wonderful collection, I would rate this item 5 stars if only the digital copy was available to use. The bad thing when I tried to download the digital copy, but a note said that the code should be redeemed by September 29th 2012 which means that the code is no longer valid. I thought this might be useful for people who think of having a digital copy on the go.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
This is a 6-disc (3BD & 3DVD) release of 3 Predator films. Arnie stars in the first and best regarded Predator. The video and audio are good but not great (yet they are the best released to date). It is the best Predator collection available but a 3-hour retrospective documentary with the cast and crew would make it even better. Even with over 4 hours of supplements it can't compare to the Alien Anthology.

Special Features:
Predator (Ultimate Hunter Edition): [~90 Minutes of Bonuses]
* ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator
* ALL-NEW Sneak Peak at Predators (1:44)
* ALL-NEW "Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection" Featurette (11:13)
* Feature-Length Audio Commentary by John McTiernan
* Text Commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
* "If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It" Making-Of Documentary (28:46)
* "Inside The Predator" Documentary (31 min) - 7 featurettes.
* Special Effects Featurettes (15 min)
* Deleted Scenes and Outtakes (5 min) - 1 deleted scene and 3 outtakes.
* Short Takes, * Theatrical Trailers, * Photo Galleries, * Predator Profile

Predator 2: [~79 Minutes] Two audio commentaries, one with director Stephen Hopkins and another with screenwriting siblings, Jim and John Thomas; The Hunters and the Hunted: a 35-minute making-of feature; Evolutions: a look at three different shots in various stages of post-production; Weapons of Choice: the arsenal of the Predator; Hard Core Segments: the complete cuts of the news broadcasts from the film; a promotional gallery; and a Fox UK weblink.

Predators: [~78 Minutes] An audio commentary from producer Robert Rodriguez and director Antal; "prequel vignettes", presented as motion comics; Evolution of The Species: Predator Reborn, a series of making-of featurettes (40 minutes in all); Making a Scene feaurette (7 minutes); The Chosen featurette, whihc introduces all the characters (4 minutes); nine deleted and extended scenes.

Skip the overrated Ultimate Hunter Edition of Predator. My only complaints are that the extras are light for a trilogy set and the digital copies cannot be redeemed in the US. The discs are region free but the digital copy codes are not region free so you have 3 extra discs. I rate the original film 5 stars but this release gets only 3 stars. It has managed to hold its value.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2014
I have been waiting for all three of these films to be available together. Predator is one of my all-time favorite films, either it or The Running Man would come on HBO every day when I was a kid. I like the other two films, but don't love. Because I love Predator so much, I almost bought the 1/2 Own The Moments, and buying the separate release of Predators. But I would rather have had them in one package. And sure enough, one day they added Predators to Own The Moments, and there were all 3 in one cheap and compact package.

I'm not a videophile. I can't sit here and break down all that stuff, but they look great to me. Predator is the "Ultimate Hunter Edition", which I only bring up because I know in the early days of the 1/2 Own The Moments, this was not the case.

As for the content of the films, I'm assuming everybody knows about Predator by now. Predator 2 was kind of a let-down at the time, but it has grown on me over the years. As a kid I wanted Arnie, and the jungle. Danny Glover in a crime-torn LA was quite a departure. But now I enjoy it quite a bit, particularly the ending. Predators I was skeptical about, but I found it pretty entertaining. The premise is a good one, the cast not-too-shabby, and it's a worth addition to the series I think. People complained that they were trying too hard to be like the original, I call it getting back to the roots of the franchise. Besides, the fact they strayed so far form the original was one of the biggest complaints about the second, then they get back to it in the third and THAT'S a complaint now.

Overall, Predator is the only film in the series I really love, so I would gladly pay a lower price to get them in an Own The Moments package than dish out for a fancy box set that will surely come out in the future. I'm not sure I would really want to dish out a premium for a box set that only has one truly great film in it. But a cheap little package with 1 great and 2 pretty good movies is right up my alley.
on January 11, 2014
So this bluray surpasses everything but the new 3D that came out last month. I bought this because it had all three movies in the highest quality audio/video you can get right now. I was not disappointed. BE AWARE: these discs are from Europe, I used a PS3 and was fine. Picture quality is great, in Predator when there's a scene where a leaf is hanging in front of the camera and you're squinting to see passed it, watching the bluray was the first time I could see everything clearly. There were at least three shots I didn't ompletely "get" before, but now I do. Haven't watched the 3D disc, but this one is exactly what I wanted.
on August 27, 2014
When I received my predator trilogy, I was disappointed to find that it did no come with a slip cover or box of any king. What you get is a normal blu ray casing holding all three predator movies. The cover art is also slightly different than the art advertised. For most, this will not be a deal breaker but because I am an avid blu ray collector, this was a bit of a let down for me. As for the blu ray disks themselves, the audio and video quality are on par, and the artwork on the disks is nice.
on October 7, 2015
Predator was on cable every night the summer my family
moved into their newest house,
and we watched it pretty much every time it was on.

I know every line, basically.

Predator 2 - my family and I saw in the theatre when it came out.
That movie was a part of my childhood too.
I drew the new predator mask while out to dinner
with my family afterward.

The only question I had going in was
how good is the 2010 movie.

I bought the blu-ray collection blind,
and we watched it the other day.

I have to say, I really LOVE the newest film.
That's all I'll say.

This collection to me is essential.
on September 24, 2015
Wow as much as I liked these movies they aren't on par with the Alien Anthology. The 1st one starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Carl Weathers was very good and an unpredictable and unexpected movie for its time. The second one starring Danny Glover was also very good and a vast departure from the 1st which I thought was great. The 3rd starring Adrien Brody and Laurence Fishburne was a surprise and well done. I don't see how anyone can't like all three but that's just my humble opinion.

There are at least two variations of the Trilogy sets. One is the white boxed set with all the bells and whistles and the other is the blue jewel case with only the three blu-ray DVDs stacked.
on July 19, 2014
I have seen all three films....and enjoyed them all. In one of the reviews, it said there were 6 discs. But in the product description, it said there was only one disc. Please help me understand exactly how many discs are actually contained in the triple feature. Thanks and have a great day