Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on July 9, 2010
"Predators" is back to basics return for the "Predator" franchise, they have juggled the elements that made the first film successful but couldn't seem to get right for the sequel or the "Alien vs. Predator" movies. "Predators" starts with the original premise of the first movie. Eight people of different ethnicities (if not occupations) are thrown into a living green hell of a jungle except they all don't know how they got there or where they are. The only thing they're sure of is that they were involved in some war, they saw a light and the next thing they remember is waking up as they fell into the jungle.

As the eight get to know each and their surroundings, "Predators" relies on the camaraderie of the individuals and the stress of the situation for each character to reveal themselves to each other and the audience, and they discover every one may not be what they seem. There's also a nice bit of gallows humor to lighten the moments and was one of the things that gave the original "Predator" some of it's charm.

The predators have some new toys including the spiky dogs, and we learn there are two different kinds of predators, the standard one we're used to seeing is the smaller of the species and are hunted by the larger super-predator when no other game is available.

One bit of casting I was worried about was Topher Grace, the geeky Eric Forman of "That 70's Show," he seemed miscast or ill fitted for Eddie Brock in "Spiderman 3," and here he's the one element that doesn't fit, but he isn't supposed to, and he looks right for the part and delivers a role that at first looks like a straightforward but has some twists. Laurence Fishburne does a near-cameo as Noland, a soldier marooned on the planet and who may be from the Vietnam era, I think he hums a bit of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" used to such great effect in Apocalypse Now.

I at first thought "Predators" was directed by Robert Rodriquez and that was one of the reasons I was looking forward to seeing the movie. I was a little disappointed that Rodriquez only produces, but this movie does incorporate some of the feel of a movie directed by Rodriquez but that may be because "Predators" is based on a screenplay Rodriguez wrote sixteen years ago . Directing is Nimrod Antal and he moves the movie tautly along never veering off course or too far off course, and he does add some visual artistry that hasn't been seen in any of the previous movies but gives us a sense of the alieness of the world the characters find themselves trapped on.

"Predators" is conscious of the events of the first "Predator" movie and the climatic battle is a tweaked version that is an homage to Arnold's battling of the predator while building on some of the inferred weaknesses of the predators. "Predators" is a good telling of a "Predator" story, using bits of the original and adding its own devices to the "Predator" mythology.
1111 comments|196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2010
It has taken a string of awful sequels for someone such as Nimrod Antal to step up and take the Predator franchise back to its roots of gore, suspense and plain fear, but does it do these things well? "Predators" sets it story deep within the nostalgia of fans with a jungle setting similar to the original. We are introduced to an unconscious Royce, a hardened, ex-military mercenary played by Adrien Brody, free-falling from the sky over the jungle. After a warm welcome from fellow drop ins, the newly formed team of eight begin to make sense of their surroundings.

"Predators" builds the tension between the characters similarly to that of the original with fear and uncertainty clouding their minds. The eerie-ness and unfamiliarity of the environment and it's contents are also set just as in the first film. The building of this tension plays out smoothly and doesn't rush itself to get to it's point (the whole alien planet/we are being hunted/"If it bleeds, it can be killed" deal) Not until the end of the film does it feel rushed and out of balance with the beginning and midpoint. The chemistry between the characters doesn't bore at all, even with their backgrounds as "the most dangerous killers on Earth" the flow of dialect and development with each character is enough to hold the viewer's interest and move the story along realistic grounds. A very interesting note is how the characters explain their backgrounds and solidify their characters through the traps set within the film (theirs and others.) There are also many specific pieces paying homage to the original, such as the explanation of the Hunters and a few of the battle sequences.

Speaking very shortly about the gore, it plays its part in solidifying the harsh settings the characters are placed in and the brutality of the creatures they are faced against, (Most notably the campsite of the Predators and what every fan wanted to see, the taking of the "trophies.") unlike the past two sequels (*shudders*) where the first was devoid of nearly any gore and the second making it seem laughable and rendering it useless.

I have only two gripes about the film, one being the pacing near the end, (as mentioned earlier) after meeting with another survivor named Nolan (Laurence Fishburne) and the events leading to another encounter with the Predator creatures, the remaining survivors start to die off quite fast. Even though the plan made before the set chase is clear, I felt that the suspense kind of died after that leaving only one minor twist afterwards. Oh and Topher Grace (I think you will see him mentioned in many reviews to come for the movie) Didn't leave a strong enough impression. Without giving too much away about him, I believe that his character's motives could have been fleshed out a little better than the film made them.

Bottom line, "Predators" plants its feet in the ground and exclaims with confidence that "this is more than a sequel, it's a return to form." and a return very well needed. Even with it's numerous similarities, "Predators" is able to stand on it's own with a strong cast and a smooth mix of violence, gore, charisma and chemistry and screams possibilities of sequels to come.
review image
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2010
I don't get out to the theater much, so when my 9 and 11 year olds suggested we go to the movies on a hot and rainy Sunday, I thought it would be a nice way to spend the day with the kids. "So what'll it be boys? Toy Story 3?Despicable Me?" Their reply in unison: "PREDATORS!!!" Actually I wasn't at all surprised since lately they've been spending most of their video game time online with Aliens vs Predator. Truthfully I couldn't have been happier with their choice because that's really what I wanted to see most too.

In the end no one was disappointed. Predators is a great action movie that not only pays homage to the original, but brings the Predator franchise back to the brutal violence and fast moving story telling that made the first one a classic. Kudos to Director Nimród Antal and Producer Robert Rodriguez for not making any of the plethora of mistakes that were made with the sub-par Predator 2 or any of the AvP movies.

All the action looked real. All of the Predators (and other monsters) looked real. All of the acting is really good. Although I must say that I had a hard time swallowing Adrian Brody as the lead tough guy. Brody comes across as more of a softy to me. If I had to seek out a complaint it might be that Brody was a bit miscast, but not so much so that it took away from the thoroughly entertaining experience that I had with Predators.

The story is very similar to the first one. A group of mostly soldiers (or soldier types) are in a mysterious jungle and soon realize that there's a role reversal going on: they are no longer hunters, mercenaries or whatever; they are the hunted. And they are going to need a lot of firepower and strategy in order to walk away alive from the situation that they are in.

I guess if I had to "unEarth" another negative it would be that the storyline is quite familiar. But Antal and Rodriguez introduce enough new concepts and twists to keep this sequel pretty fresh looking and not as predictable as you may think. If you were a big fan of the 1987 cult classic like I was, I believe that you'll find that this 2010 reintroduction to the Predators will be a welcome one...like it was for me.

A few words of caution to anyone that saw my comment about bringing the kids to this movie: it is not a family film. It earns its R rating. I'm just a little more liberal when it comes to what I think will warp the little minds of today's youth. So use your discretion.
1111 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
While I wouldn't call Predators "bad," it's certainly the least impressive of the 3 Predator films. I really like some of the concepts behind the way the Predators hunt in a different environment, and there are some fun action scenes, but there's not much to be said for characters. It comes across as a quasi-remake of the first Predator movie, borrowing some scenes (like the scene in Predator 1 where Billy decides to face the Predator 1v1), and such.

I can't exactly "recommend" this movie, but I can't say I hate it, either. It's kind of a gamble, but will probably disappoint fans of the first 2 movies.
on February 15, 2014
Overall the predator series has been pretty good. The original with Arnie was fantastic, the second one with Danny Glover was really not that good but AVP was also fantastic and this latest one was also really great. I never pictured Adrian Brody in a muscle flick but he was pumped up and great and the other 5 or characters in the movie were interesting characters and the Super Predator and that whole concept was very intersting and caught me totally by surprise and there was no sugar coating ending. I have seen this movie at least a dozen times and have enjoyed it as much each time (my wife has threaten to leave me we have seen it so many times).

This is a great action movie with interesting character development (Laurence Fishburn is wonderful) and twisting plot.

I am going to have them bury this DVD in my coffin with me (I am going to take it with me).
on July 17, 2014
This movie, unlike Predator 2, was true to the original series and was actually a great follow up. There is even a few references to the first movie which ties things together very well. The cast of this movies was excellent and everyone did a great job. Production values were great and the sound, lighting, etc was amazingly better in Blu-ray. I have the original DVD and this Blu-ray is far superior to the DVD
on February 21, 2011
...Drop in.
I love a movie that kicks off instantly with an action sequence. Pow, you're in the thick of it, shut up and hang on!
Yes, I have to admit it, I'm a sucker for this franchise (even the 2 movies that shall not be named), so I'll forgive them most anything; it's been a long long time between movies.
Why do I like this series? It's not complicated. Hunt or be hunted. Scream and run. Stop, drop, and roll. They have a good formula. You know what to expect and you expect most of the cast to be fodder for the Predators. It's not art. Although the locale was beautifully filmed. It's meant to be exciting. I found it so. And better still, it's a keeper for my collection!
I also have no complaints with Adrien Brody, supposedly slumming in a creature feature (he has to make a living and was obviously committed to the role): he's always an interesting actor to watch. As for poor Topher Grace (why do I have the impulse to replace the first letters of his first and last name?), he was the standard red herring; it's mandatory that most movies have one. He was neither good nor awful, I barely noticed him or the second guy that went missing (I'm embarrassed to say that it was quite awhile before I actually realized they were down a man). There wasn't much time to establish personalities. I even forgave them for lifting most of the plot from that oft remade classic: The Most Dangerous Game (1932).
I also must add that I loved the 'dogs'.
It's a great franchise, I hope they keep making more. In fact, I insist.
on February 18, 2011
I got this movie because its a Predator movie. Boy was I in for a treat!

It looks, feels and sounds like the first but its not. The action and plot was great IMO but the only thing missing was a mad minute...I was dissapointed in Laurence Fishburn's roll in this movie.
(Stinkin psychotic weasle!)

This is a movie where I think Michelle Rodriguez would really shine. Adrien Brody reminds me of the last guy that got whacked by the tree truck trap in the first Predator movie. There are a few refences to the first movie and the finale was like a tribute.

I am trying not to spoil it by revealing any of the story. Please bear with my vagueness. The action left me wanting more and the ending seemed to promised it.
on February 11, 2014
I love this movie. I can rewatch this movie and still get a kick out of the cast of characters. Adrien Brody? A Black Ops now Merc, leading man? He did it. And he's darn crushy. The band of abductees to be hunted; each character is brilliant and defined. First time I've seen Walton Goggins... he's a show stopper in this movie. And Topher Grace? Killer.

It was killing me catching this movie on different movie channels. Butchered edited for TV. Disappointing and unwatchable.

Nearly bought this Blue Ray at a used DVD/CD store chain. $15.00.

I scored big time with this new hermetically sealed Blue Ray WITH Digital Copy.
on March 17, 2015
I came across this while browsing Amazon and thought, why not? I liked the first Predator and I had remembered hearing about this one a few years ago but never got the chance to see it.

It was actually pretty good. I think they made a good call with casting Adrien Brody because if they had cast someone who was a well-known action star, this movie could have been seen as a re-make instead of an addition to the franchise. The predators are, of course, scary and aggressive. The effects are great and you'll be reminded of all of the things you loved from the first Predator.

The basic premise: A group of people wake up as they're being parachuted into some unknown land. They're from all over the world, and none of them know each other. They soon realize that they're not alone, and this may not be Earth.

I don't want to give too much away. Things heat up pretty quickly and it makes for a very exciting film. I am left with questions about the predators, of course, but I think the point is that we're supposed to know as much as the characters know instead of being omnipotent film-watchers. The characters know very little, and by the end of the movie, you still don't know very much about the terrain or the Predators themselves. If we knew everything about the Predators, they wouldn't be so mysterious and interesting, would they?

This is definitely worth a watch, especially if you enjoy any of the Predator series!