Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Noctua 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Fan with AAO Frame Technology (NF-A14 PWM)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 23, 2013
I'm not fan boy of Noctua, but since moving toward Fractal Design Define R4 i struggle to find 140mm PWM fans, there are some options like Akasa, Noiseblockers, etc, but by fan this were the best that i have tested.

Pros:
- Incredible quiet operation under low rpms
- Very pleasant tone under low to medium rpms.
- Moves a good amount of air for the noise it produces.
- Incredible range of operation on PWM control, 184-1619 rpms (under FanXpert2 check pictures above)
- Very good static pressure, good for rads and restricted spaces like behind fan filters.
- Extensive accessories included, rubber screws, 4pin extension, Y PWM splitter, LNA Adapter, fan screws.
- Great packaging, a little overdue, but you feel you getting what you pay for.

Cons:
- Color scheme, i bet if Noctua changed to a black/white theme they will increase their sales, still dont like their brown theme.
- It produces a weird noise when the fan in placed horizontal and behind a grill, but blowing up disappears
- Expensive

This fans are great for someone looking for controlling all their fans via PWM control, specially under Asus FanXpert2, only true PWM header is the CPU_FAN, do not use this fans on CHA_FAN headers as they will be voltage controlled and not only they wont drop as low as they are rated but they become unstable and stop, so use them only on PWM header. If you want to use them on other headers buy the FLX/ULN versions they are design for 3pin voltage controlled headers.
review image review image
88 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
The Noctua NF-A14 is tied with the Thermalright TY-141 as my personal favorite 140mm fan. This is judging fans primarily for performance at low noise levels. Since the TY-141 is the only other 140mm fan I would consider its equal in overall performance (for now), I will review the Noctua in comparison. I just got done writing an overly-long review for the other, so I will keep this respectively short.

Noise: The A14 hits its sweet spot at about 750rpm, in my experience. The only reason it doesn't get a full five stars is because the noise level jumps up quite a bit after 800rpm, however I wouldn't let that deter you since it creates very good airflow at that speed. Bare in mind my standards are rather high when it comes to silent computing, so for you, it may be more than quiet enough even at higher speeds. Many people run their fans far too fast. With well though-out fan and component placement, a silence oriented rig should achieve good cooling with no case fan running over 800rpm, in my experience.

Airflow: The A14's airflow is a bit of a mystery, somewhat similar to the NF-F12 in its ability to create very good cooling without palpable airflow. By that I mean that it doesn't seem to be pushing a ton of air, but I seem to get very good temp results anyway. Chalk that up to whatever magic Noctua has cooked up with their engineering. It's not quite as potent in its air delivery at low speeds as the Thermalright TY-141, at least per my amateur testing, but it is a wee bit quieter in the 600-800rpm range. I have yet to try the A14 mounted on a cpu cooler, so I can't comment there.

Misc: The Noc is pricey, yes, but the quality is there. Will it really outlast fans costing half as much? Who knows, but there is some piece of mind achieved from the solid feel, and the all the diagrams and pictures of Noctua's unique engineering give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've had one problem with one of their fans, and they shipped me a replacement from Austria that took two days to arrive. They asked me to email them a photo with the old fan with one of its blades broken off, ha, to show I wasn't cheating them. Understandable, really.

Noctua asks a high price, but they make sure that you get the friggin VIP treatment with this package. Opening the box is its own sort of joy. No corners are cut, nothing skimped: silicone dampeners on the frame, silicone mounting pins,voltage limiters, and a very, very appreciated PWM extension cable. It even came with a PWM splitter for use with another fan; that and the extension alone is $10 worth of accessories. They really make sure you have everything.

Is this the "best" 140mm fan? Hard to say. There are one or two 140mm fans I feel outperform it in some ways while being nearly as quiet, but if I had to recommend a friend one fan that I know would make them happy, the Noctua's complete package of quality, accessories, and customer support would win out. This fan will be around for your next build.
on February 11, 2015
I have used Noctua fans for a long time. They are super quiet! Whether you are doing a new build or simply replacing or upgrading a fan, Noctua is the route you need to go. No, its not flashy with blingy LEDs and transparent blades mounted on cheaply made motors. The Noctua fans are designed to do their job... keep the system cool, in as quiet a manner as possible.
I recently completed a new system build and needed one more 140mm fan for the front of the case, so I knew where to go.
This fan is mounted in the lower front 140mm fan location of a Corsair Carbide 300R chassis, directly in front of the hard drives, so it keeps them all nice and cool.

The only complaint (which you will see multiples of) is the cream color of the fan chassis. Wished it came in black, but thats easily fixed with a rattlecan of good paint (provided that you mask off the fan blades so as to not get them out of balance...)

Love my fan in the new build. Build sheet is below.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Black - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H0YS
CPU: Intel i7-4790 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J56YSLM
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI
MotherBoard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mk II - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2R6E10
Additional Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP6QLY6
2x of Memory: Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600 (CMZGX3M2A1600C10R) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E3M4QS
Video: EVGA GeForce GTX760 ACX (02G-P4-2765-KR) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0N49C8
WiFi NIC: Rosewill RNWD-N9003PCe - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VKON0S
Power Supply (PSU): Corsair CX750 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RJZQSW
Boot Drive (SSD for OS and Apps): Samsung EVO840 250GB http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMXBOP4
4x of Hard Drives (2 were re-used): WD Green 3TB http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RORMF6
CD/DVD/BluRay Drive (reused): Pioneer BCD-207DBK http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I47O7AK

Additional Items:
WiFi Router: TP-Link Archer C9 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDLRHFW
Color Correction Tool: ColorMunki Display - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055MBQOM
Monitors (re-used): 2x Acer 23" 16:9 (next thing to be updated)
on May 29, 2015
These are NOT the prettiest fans in the world. Unless brown and cream are your 2 favorite colors, these fans are quite frankly: ugly. HOWEVER, the performance you get from these fans are so so. Keep in mind, there's a science to audible vs. performance when it comes to fans. I really wanted to buy into the hype when it came to these fans. And yes, at full RPMs, the fan is darn near silent. BUT, the CFM for these fans are not something you can ignore if you really want to keep the temps of your case low. If you don't overclock stuff, then this fan is for you. I overclock my GPU and CPU and after doing a few temperature readings, these Noctua case fans actually did worse than the Corsair AF140s. The Corsair fans were louder (and revved up higher in RPM) but at the same time, the CFMs were higher and it showed in the temp readings. Everyone's rig is setup differently. I personally wanted to try to see if Noctua's case fans were really worth the hype. And yes, audible-wise, I often caught myself open up my case and peeking with a flashlight to see if they were even spinning (they were). If you can live with higher than average cooling performance with near silent audible, then Noctuas are the fans for you. I'm wearing headphones most of the time I'm gaming and I just wanted fans that weren't too loud YET kept my rig cool.
on June 17, 2015
I built my PC a few months ago with the Corsair H110i. However, the fan it came with were loud and rattled. Anything processor intensive and the front fan would sound like a jet engine. I got really upset and searched for the most quiet 140mm fans on the market (which seems to be these) and bought 2 of them. These are SUPER Quiet, so soft I can barely hear my system boot up. Even when maxing out the proccessor it's nothing more that I light purr. These two are so soft that I can actually hear a change in the case fans! HIGHLY recommended.

Two things to note:
1) Make sure you keep these fans on the lose side. I, again, had the front fan a little tight. Loosening it up fixed everything.
2) The power cords on these are thicker and shorter. I had some issues getting it to fit into the top panel of my case. After some time I finally had it all spaced out and working.

Appearance:
Lets all be honest, they color is ugly and clashes with 99% of the builds out there. That said, on the top of the case, it kid of adds a neat steam punk look. What I eventually raise my system up, I wont be looking down into the fans all the time anyways.
on May 4, 2016
I have to say, although spendy, Noctua fans are fantastic (pardon the bad pun). They are extremely quiet and move lots of air. They even have a great heft and feel as well looking well made. As much as I hate to spend the money, I'm replacing any fan on my computers that fails with one of these. (I have over a dozen computers many of which have six or more fans.)
on March 12, 2016
Very good fan ; nice construction; quite fan nice static pressure.
I am using 2 of these 140mm fans on my radiator. I am using as pull and have connected the two fans to corsair H115i AIO cooler. the fans are very quite.
I am also using 3 of these fans as top exhaust (yes I am using static pressure fans as exhaust , since there is a fine mesh dust filter at the top side.(here; I had to use 2 of those Y splitters in tandem to connect all of them in PWM; not so happy with that arrangement / work around . may be I should buy one of those 3 way PWM splitters; but daisy chaining works)
But I did find one problem with mounting of these fans. I tried to use the anti-vibration rubber pull-mounts but encountered a impossible situation.
When installing 2 or 3 fans (in fact even a single fan) in one of the corner of the case or two corners of each fan are against the edge of the case, It is impossible to reach for the tail of these rubber thingies and pull them to complete the installation of the fans. Hence I had to uninstall all the fans and screw (provided) them to the case. Defeats the purpose.
Had Noctua made those rubber pull-mounts only little LONGER say 2-4 cm longer the tail would show up through the bottom hole which then I can grab with my finger or a tweezers and pull to complete the installation. These rubber pull-mount thingy is too short; they do not show up through the bottom hole. So when installing the fans on a corner or edges where there is no finger access on the side... these rubber pull-mounts are useless.

Noctua: if you reading this please take this seriously. Make the rubber tails longer an inch or so will be great.
on August 5, 2015
I bought a few of these mainly to replace the loud fans that came with my NZXT Kraken X61. They are not only quieter but they seem to put out more air than the ones that I had. Great packaging, very sturdy design and construction. Obviously they are sort of ugly but I don't have a window on my case so I don't care.
on September 12, 2013
I don't know where to begin. I redid my case/cooling fan setup with 2 Noctua 140mm and 2 120mm fans. The difference is superb, both sonically and thermally.

Running prime95, which puts the system at full CPU load, is quieter than the old stock fans (NZXT 410 with Corair H90 stock fans). Really really superb. It's so quiet, I would never have guessed that it's running at full load.

Temps are running about 5c cooler than the H90 sock fan by estimation. Nothing huge, but still very nice. 2600k @ 4.5ghz never breaks 70c.
on January 1, 2016
Bought two to replace the fans that came with the Corsair H110i CPU cooler and could not be more pleased. The difference in noise made by the fans was like night and day, the Noctua being quieter by a large margin. Instead of sounding like a vacuum cleaner at boot-up and when under heavy use, I barely hear the fans. I changed nothing but the fans: used identical settings that my motherboard identifies as the "Silent" profile for the "CPU" and "CPU optional" fan headers [ASUS Maximus VIII Hero] then booted it up again and thought I'd messed up because it was nearly silent. I took the cover off to make sure the fans were spinning! That's how much difference it made. I also confirmed the air flow by feel, and it seems the same as with the stock Corsair fans. I'm now considering replacing the rear case fan, possibly even the front two with Noctua fans, but that is an expensive undertaking so I'm going to wait a bit before committing.