4.0 out of 5 stars Serious Activation Problems, but a Good Product
Published on September 10, 2012 by P. Gehrke

1.0 out of 5 stars Review on Activation Procedure so far...
Published on August 22, 2012 by Tortfeasor

1.0 out of 5 stars Review on Activation Procedure so far..., August 22, 2012
This review is from: Dragon Premium 12, Student/Teacher Edition, English (Old Version) (DVD-ROM)
Hello everyone! Here is some insight on my initial experiences with this product as was purchased through Amazon thus far. Upon receiving this version of Dragon (Premium 12 - Student Teacher Edition), I opened the box and proceeded with going through the "Identit-E" process to obtain my serial number so that I could continue with installation. After going through the process and utilizing my school e-mail address I promptly received the required serial number necessary for me to continue the process.

Using the serial number I was provided, I installed the software without issue. Upon first run, you are required to "activate" and "register" the product. I clicked the "activate now" button to do so, and then received an error message and was informed via a pop-up box that the serial number I entered belonged to a different version of Dragon, Dragon Premium 11 Student Teacher Edition to be exact and the product could not be activated.

I immediately contacted Nuance at their technical support line to obtain assistance, to be greeted with quite a long wait to speak to a human. After finally reaching a human named "Andie" and providing all the necessary information, I was directed to contact "Identit-E" via their online chat to immediately receive the correct serial number for my product. I was quite irritated that the manufacturer themselves could not assist me with their own product, but since they outsource the registration and validation process to a third party, issues such as these must be handled by "Identit-E". I asked Nuance for a phone number to "Identit-E" but was told that the only way to communicate with them was via online chat or email.

I subsequently contacted "Identit-E" via their online chat, informing them verbatim of the situation and what Nuance had told me, furthermore expecting to receive a new serial number as was promised by Nuance. Upon speaking with a CSR named "Beth Gerber" through online chat at "Identit-E", I was informed: "....I have escalated your code with my supervisor. He is the only one who is able to get the correct code for your product. Either he, or myself will be able to send you the information tomorrow as he is already gone for the day".... - and needless to say I was quite irate. Bottom line, I was left to be stuck in technical support #$%! until the supervisor did whatever supposedly they could only do come tomorrow, and there's apparently only one single person who can assist me. What complete and total crust!

There are a few points to note here... 1) "Identit-E" can only be reached via online chat and/or e-mail. It should be noted that their "chat" is up and down in terms of availability so its a crap shoot (in my experience); 2) How Nuance can contract with a 3rd party provider for the servicing of their activations and/or registrations with a Company such as "Identit-E" who does not have or maintain a supervisor available during all business hours of availability since their CR's are powerless is beyond me... as if you are Nuance's customer you are at the mercy of "Identit-E" if you have nay problems with registration and activation; and 3) How sad is it that Nuance has ZERO control over issues with their own product that THEY manufactured... they simply pawn issues such as these off to the 3rd party contractor; I mean seriously!?!

So ultimately it does not matter to either Nuance and/or "Identit-E" that I needed this up and running by tomorrow, that this software is not cheap and the fact that contact during normal business hours should have yielded a simple resolution (the proper code) which I shouldn't have to wait additional time for considering I proved my eligibility for the product fair and square, but am being inconvenienced for an issue that is their own fault combined between the two companies. This is my first time doing business with Nuance and with their partnership with "Identit-E" and I can tell you that thus far its not leaving a hint of a positive taste in my mouth.

At this rate, I do plan to come back and post a review on the software itself and a follow up as to how this whole serial number issue is sorted out, but wanted to post this for others to be aware of what can happen if and when things go terribly wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Nightmare, October 6, 2012
I ordered this Student/Teacher version 12 because I'm a college instructor. Obtaining the serial number was not a problem. However, the DVD I received is warped, emits a loud clicking noise in my computer's DVD drive (the same noise is audible on two other systems so the problem is clearly a defective disk), and it is unable to read the disk to install the program.

That's when I had the misfortune of contacting "Benjamin" in customer service. He is semi-literate in English and apparently located somewhere in India. He asked for all my order data from Amazon (order number, etc.). He even listened to the loud clicking of the disk in the drive, and agreed it sounded like there was clearly something wrong with the disk.

Then some additional hoops to jump through:

1. E-mail him screenshots of the Windows Explorer interface to prove that my computer can't fully read all the files on the warped disk.

2. E-mail him digital photographs of the disk itself (top and edge) to prove that I have an authentic disk and prove that it is warped. Okay, this was a strange request, but using my digital camera not too much of a problem if it would have satisfied Nuance and gotten me on the road to receiving a new disk. Were these thoughts ever naive.

3. Ben replies. He now wants "the POP proof of purchased of the Dragon 12 that came from Amazon." Huh? What exactly does "POP proof of purchased" mean, and why wasn't it requested during the original phone call? I send him a screen shot of my order record from my Amazon account and the scanned barcode label from the box. (Maybe the latter is what he meant by "proof of purchased" [sic]?)

4. Ben replies again. This time he wants the "email from amazon indicated the the payment you made from them if there is please attached it with this email as you reply." LOL. This reads like work from one of my grade-F students. Again, if this is what was required, why wasn't it clearly requested in the original phone call?

I forwarded him the original invoice e-mail. I made a little wager with myself that this would magically prove insufficient as well. Sure enough, it did.

5. "Sorry it's me again, as i can see in your screenshot [sic] of the email you got from amazon one last favor, can you please take a screenshot also of that the same email but open the VIEW INVOICE option."

Take a screenshot of an e-mail he already has right in front of him and at the same time click some link. Boy, that sure makes sense.

Sorry, but I'm now done with this: from the bizarre request for photographs of the defective disk, to one illiterate and cryptic request after the other. Anyway, Ben made clear on the original call (after we had spent about 5 minutes entering my Amazon order information into his system) that the system screenshots showing the disk as unreadable along with the disk photos would be sufficient. Now there's another new and nebulous obstacle course to run every day. I am a very busy college instructor who doesn't have time for this.

If I don't receive a response from this review within a week from a literate adult at Nuance, I will immediately initiate a chargeback on my credit card and look at other options, particularly Windows Speech Recognition. Not only is it free, but it's been reported to be a decent program with even more improvements expected on the forthcoming Windows 8.

I've been a solid Dragon customer since version 9, but after this experience I'm done with Nuance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious Activation Problems, but a Good Product, September 10, 2012
P. Gehrke (COLUMBIA, SC, US) - See all my reviews
Similar problem with the verification system. Identit-E recognized my university email immediately and sent me a serial number in seconds. However, for v12 products, Identit-E sends users a version 11 serial number . This makes it impossible to run the v12 software. I have emailed both Identit-E and Nuance to get some help with this. We will see how long it takes. Given that this has been a known problem for some time now (see previous review) it is very disappointing to see it is still happening. If it can be resolved before close of business today, then I will consider it all good. If not until tomorrow, then minimally acceptable. I will update the review when I get this activation mess resolved.

Update: Well, general customer service emails are not answered in a timely fashion. Both Identit-E and Nuance are slow to respond to issues by email. I don't have time to sit on the phone and deal with customer service, so I emailed Peter Mahoney at Nuance directly (see the comments thread in the other review for his email address). Peter did get back to me within an hour with a working key.

Now, as to the product proper, it is good but not perfect. The voice recognition is quite good and I expect will improve with time, but the software is a bit too laggy for my happiness. Whenever I click a command or activate the microphone, etc., it takes longer than it should to respond. One of the most noticeable moments of lag comes when one tries to close the dragon transcript text box. I have been using the software to transcribe .WAV files of dictations and lectures. Accuracy is pretty good and improves quickly based on my corrections, but when done, I save the text file and click to close the transcription box, and there is more than a full second of lag for the box to close. There are other little bits of lag that are similarly annoying, but not a deal breaker.

This is on a top-end i7 860 system with 16gb of ram, an SSD primary with 10k rpm 2gb secondary drive (dragon is on the SSD, audio and text files on the spinning drive), running W7x64 Pro.

If the recognition improves at the same rate as it has been now, then I will be absolutely thrilled with that end of it, though some scratchy and low-quality audio is hard for it to process, it does surprisingly well. I just wish it was a little more responsive, especially given that I have it in a system that is near bleeding-edge performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves time and accuracy is great!, October 23, 2012
This product is a great improvement over the last version that I owned. I previously had Dragon 9 Standard Edition and would constantly train and correct words that I used during my dictations. With version 12, I find that I had to perform minimal speech training and the accuracy is greatly improved. This has cut my time spent typing to about 1/4 of what it was before.

There were two issues I had initially once I received the software. 1) During initial installation there was a glitch that caused the program to be unusable. After uninstalling and reinstalling I have had no problems. 2) The retrieval process to get the serial key initially gave me a key for version 11. After emailing customer service I had received the correct serial key within 24 hours.

The additional benefit of the Premium version allows me to use it in spreadsheets as well as web browsing. At this point I still do not have a firm grasp on all of the commands that are available within these programs, but it continues to save me time with whichever program I'm using.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Little Support Provided, September 24, 2012
Verification of student status is a nightmare. I have a .edu email address but Nuance still refused to verify my status using that address. Instead, they requested I send a copy of my driver's license and my student ID. Finally Nuance verified my account. They emailed me my serial #. Unfortunately, it was a serial number for the previous version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking, version 11. I informed the Nuance representative that I received a serial number for the old product. The rep was aware of this issue and referred to it as a "technical glitch." He said he would be unable to send me a working serial number since I already received a serial number. I called back later and spoke to a different rep. After 30 minutes of discussion, the rep emailed me a working serial number for the product I purchased. I was finally able to validate and use my product.

To my dismay, Dragon 12 is not a significant improvement over version 11.5. The accuracy leaves much to be desired.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible process to "activate", September 22, 2012
I've had the software for over 2 weeks. Still can't get it activated. The process to "obtain" a serial number is arduous and unnecessary. I have thus far received 2 serial numbers and neither one works. I bought this as it came highly recommended and thought it would help ease my graduate work in writing reports and papers. Wrong again. The only redeeming factor is that the customer service people do respond quickly, the info provided doesn't work. I cannot recommend this software due to the "activation" process. I rated it one star due to the activation process as well as the aggravation factor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for Word 2013 in Windows 8.1 X 64, December 6, 2013
Autumn D.M. Heys (Anchorage, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
Prior happy user of version 11. I bought Dragon 12 specifically because I am now running Windows 8.1 X 64 and Office 2013 and Dragon version 11 wouldn't work for me in Office 2013. This product says it works with Window 7 and higher and Office. But all it did was stall, seize, and crash Word to the point a Word error message pop-up suggested I disable the add-in within Word and try to reinstall or repair. First I tried repair, but it would not allow my to change anything without doing the setup.exe file from the CD. So, I uninstalled Dragon and reinstalled it, still won't work, It will not allow me to install the available update 12.5 as it says in cannot "find a qualified Dragon NaturallySpeaking product to patch". I have tried everything I know to try to get the program working and it simply won't talk to my Office 2013. Also, it comes with a jack-in type microphone headphones and the program suggest you not use jacked but rather use an UBS or better connection. This inferior microphone headphones adds no value to version 12, as it appears that IF I ever get the program to work in Office I will have to upgrade the microphone headset.

So, I spent 80 bucks for a program that I am unable to use for the only program I bought it to use with! I needed it to help with writing research papers and other homework assignments for my university classes. Instead I am spending extra time, energy, and emotion trying to get the program to do what I paid for it to do! Argh!! Their website has no support for issues with use of Windows 8.x or Office. I am disgusted. I get emails almost daily from them to upgrade but no response to my inquiry on making their program functional on my system. Not cool Dragon. At least they don't call anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool, but setup process is BROKEN., November 29, 2012
As others have reported, you simply cannot automatically activate this version of the software without making some phone calls and sending extra emails including proof of purchase.

We bought this for my son at college. I had it sent directly to him, and he followed the instructions to activate it using his dot-edu address. No luck - some kind of cryptic error message. We finally tracked down the phone number to call (we were first given an incorrect one, on one of the web pages), and they asked us to email a copy of the receipt.

Which of course my son did not have. I had it, but not in an emailable form. I wound up having to log onto my Amazon account, do a print-to-PDF of the invoice, and had my son mail that to them.

12 hours later, they sent a valid unlock code and he was able to use the tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars So frustrating I could scream!!!, December 10, 2012
I have not used the product and seriously considering returning the whole thing. I have tried to get the serial number for installation, which comes from obtaining a product code... which is now where to be found.

I have tried their support and after waiting for a chat person, I was told to "look on the box". Dear Ms customer service, what do you think I have been doing???

Got impatient after being told three time that is is on the side of the box,... there are numerous numbers and she gave me 3 different format.. none of them applied to what is on the side of the *&^%$# box. Got tired to hear the same thing 3 times. hung up on her/him.

Tried one last time by entering every possible formats the 7 different series of numbers on the side of the box... I gave up.

Don't buy this program. God forbid if this thing was non-performing, I will scream...

My advise to all of you.. "Run Forrest, Run"

Go for via voice from good'ol IBM...

Shame on you nuance.

PART II
After trying 2 more times to get the product code information so I can install it. I just gave up. I went online and decided to give a try to Windows speech recognition tool. To my great surprise it works flawlessly. AND ITS FREE!
Don't bother with the hypw from Dragon and their TV ads. Windows has a very powerful tool and its free.
Good luck

2.0 out of 5 stars One user only in profiles, December 11, 2013
I have two daughters in college and bought this for them to share. NO can do. Will only accept one profile. But the home edition, about same price and can set more than one profile. As a long time Dragon user I was very disappointed.

Dragon Premium 12, Student/Teacher Edition, English (Old Version)
Dragon Premium 12, Student/Teacher Edition, English (Old Version) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$99.99 $77.98