4.0 out of 5 stars Floating Entertainment Console
Published on December 17, 2011 by Karen Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it !!!!!
I just love this. This shelf is great. The only problem I had was with the merchant which is why I gave it 3 stars instead of 5 stars.

I ordered a second one and when it arrived a couple of the pieces had some water damage that I really did not notice until I had the unit pretty much completed. I contacted the merchant to see if I could get the two pieces...
Published 18 months ago by Reggie Bush

4.0 out of 5 stars Floating Entertainment Console, December 17, 2011
Karen Berry "Lyriclady67" (Charleston, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prepac Altus Wall Mounted Audio/Video Console, Black (Misc.)
This is a wonderful console to place under your wall mounted flat screen TV. I was looking for something that would get the TV/DVD/Cable wires up off the floor and hidden. This console does this beautifully. However, be prepared to have some time on your hands in order to mount this on the wall. My husband had the kit opened and was ready to put it up, when he realized there were no mounting screws. The directions did state that they were not included, but there were no guidelines as to what type to buy, etc. So, after a trip to the local Lowe's, the correct mounting equipment was purchased and he was ready to do the job. Everything went fairly well, although it was a bit trickly getting the holes drilled in the back of the unit. It's up now and is really solid. Very attractive unit, just time-consuming and tricky in some ways to put up. Also, we called the Prepac Helpline, asking if there was a kit with the mounting materials. All they could tell us was that there wasn't a kit and they referred us back to the seller for information. Anyway, they weren't much help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy console but with two flaws, December 9, 2011
I really like this console. Although this console isn't made of real wood, it is very sturdy and does a great job of hiding wires. It was very easy to assemble. Warning: This console needs 3 studs to be wall mounted. The reason I took off a star is because, 1. It came with NO wall mounting hardware. The manual included says they don't supply the hardware needed to mount the console to the wall. That is ridiculous! 2. This console does not hold 100 regular DVD cases like the advertisement says it does. It holds around 80 DVDs. (EDIT: The advertisement states 100 Blu-ray cases. I'm still going to keep the star off for not having any hardware to mount the console.)Other than these two flaws I do recommend the console.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Console, December 22, 2012
We received this unit in a very timely manner. Thank you Amazon!

All in all, we do like this product, thus the 5 stars. Our flat screen framed in black and this console looks great below it.

We installed the console low on the wall and had to use a Dremel tool to carve out a few areas where our outlets were hitting the console. This proved very easy given the composite wood.

A few thoughts about the product:

Pros:
- Great looking product. It is composite wood, but has a grain overlay that gives it a finished look.
- Easy to assemble. Total of 9 pieces plus assembly hardware. All pre-drilled holes are correct. You install a tongue and groove type of piece on the wall, then hang the console on this installed piece. This tongue and groove piece is not pre-drilled, so you can drill according to your stud spacing. (This was a relief, as we were concerned if this piece would be pre-drilled)
- Includes a place to hide your cables and power strip. There is a small shelf on the back that is accessible by a circular cutout. It works perfectly to use for a power strip and the extra cord lengths.

Cons:
- As others stated, it does not come with mounting hardware. We were aware of this fact, so we had the hardware on hand before it arrived. We used 3" long 1/4" lag screws installed in 3 studs. 2 lag screws per stud for 6 total.

- This is a slight con... The shelves are deep enough to fit a Dish Network's HD Receiver, but just barely. With the stiff HDMI cable, the front of the receiver is flush with the end of the shelf. Make sure you measure your components with enough extra room to accommodate cables before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, May 30, 2012
This console is sikk, i put it together by myself.. nothing serious.. you just separate each and every piece in the box.. mark them with a post-it. C1.. C2.. etc, and the little pieces that come in the bag.. open the bag and separate them too.. and just begin the process. You can't lose. Before anything just go to your local home depot or hardware store and get yourself 1/4 x 3 in lag bolts because they don't supply it.. its like a $1.50 for 3 or 4 of them. i Used two lag bolts for two studs on the wall that i mounted it on. I used 4 for more security.. two lag bolts in the middle for the stud, and two 1/4" hollow wall toggle bolt anchors for the left and right corner. As stated in one of the reviews before mine, the wall will come down before this console. Its pretty awesome, it hides all your wires if you fish them correctly and boom!, you're good to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello space!, November 22, 2011
I absolutely love this shelving unit- it's very sleek and modern looking. We just had it installed and it looks great. Because the shelves are so deep, you can't see the wires from the xbox, dvd player, cable box at all! We have an xbox, playstation, cable box, router, tons of DVDs and a receiver on the shelf and it's very sturdy. I definitely recommend this for below your mounted flat screen!! It really opens up your living room and adds space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid, pretty easy to assemble, no wall mounting hardware, January 29, 2012
I bought this for my daughters room, she and her friends like it. I hung it 41" from the floor to the top shelf, she uses the bottom shelf for her text books, I have a 42" LG lcd, which hangs 5.5" above the unit. I notice all of the shelves slope slightly downward. No wall mounting hardware, I bought 3 lag bolts, one for each stud. This unit comes in a very flat narrow box but I thought it was fun to put together, I was not able to break or strip any of the pieces. Your gonna need a drill bit about the size of the lag bolt for the piece of wood that attaches to the wall, a stud finder, and a smaller drill bit for wall so the lag bolts go in easier. Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Solution, October 22, 2012
This shelf was a great solution to a common problem. We have baseboard heaters, so a piece of furniture to hold our TV, cable box, etc wasn't an option, as it couldn't be pushed up flush to the wall. My husband and I were finally able to come to an agreement when we found this shelf. It took a while to get to us, but once it did, we were quite happy with what we got. It assembled easily (similar process to IKEA furniture), and looks very nice on the wall. It was simple to install, and from previous comments, we already knew that the mounting hardware was not included, and were prepared with our own screws. We both agree that for the price, it's a very good product.

I gave this product 4 stars because, while I really like the look of it and are happy with the purchase, there were 2 things that bugged me:

1) Your only option is black. Not a huge deal, but if brown is the color you're going for, you're out of luck.
2) While the mounting process itself is pretty easy (mounting the bar that the shelf hooks on to), getting the shelf up there with all of your cords staying in the right place is a little tricky. It took us 3 tries to get it just right. Again, not a huge deal, but be prepared for a potential 15-20 minutes of frustration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 30, 2012
I was concerned after reading some reviews about the difficulty of assembling and mounting this to the wall. It would have taken 30 minutes to assemble, and maybe 30 minutes to mount to the wall (with level, correct screws, etc). I didnt think it was that bad, and I am no handyman by any means.

I think it looks great, fits in perfectly with the black TV against a white wall, and houses my DVR, Xbox, and xbox games and remotes. Really has cleaned up the area very nicely.

1 star off because of the area that is to be used for the power strip (behind lower shelf). While a good idea to have a hidden space for this, I cant imagine how anyone would actually get TO it, short of ripping it off the wall and wiring everything. Thankfully this is not a concern for me as I have a simple surge protector/powerstrip in the main socket, so I run power cables up behind the tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, January 4, 2013
I ordered this because I needed something to store all the cable boxes and gaming stuff up and out of reach! As a mom to a 2 year old boy / monkey....jk.... I wanted something my husband could mount up high so my son wouldn't get into things! This is just perfect! Took exactly 1 hr to assemble and 20 min to mount! The pic shows it mound not far from the ground but we mounted it about 4 ft off the ground and ran the cables inside the wall. I'm very pleased with this shelf and highly recommend it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain, April 8, 2014
Have had this up on my wall for over a month now and no problems. I am worried about the fact that it is nothing but particle board which has a lipped piece that is screwed to the wall and then you set the entertainment center on that and screw that in as well. As far as people that freak out about it saying that should have been metal, what does it matter? In the end the center itself will be particle board and it will only be as strong as it's weakest point anyway. Putting it together was a breeze even though parts were not labeled. I did all the steps, but did not follow the order they suggest as it seemed counterintuitive. In the end you are getting a very nice looking wall unit for a very cheap price. Just remember that and try not to overload it. I have my satellite and stereo receiver, speakers, ps4 and peripherals, router, Apple TV, movies and a couple picture frames as well.

Prepac Altus Wall Mounted Audio/Video Console, Black
$129.99 $109.00
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies