Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black Entryway Cubbie Shelf
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Change

on October 21, 2010
When we bought our new house, I hadn't realized there was no front hall closet! Uh oh. I had to find a solution, and this shelf, along with a storage bench that matches, did the trick! It is easy to put together and VERY heavy and sturdy. You will need to hang it on studs, and the hangers in the back are the perfect width to do so. The unit sits flush against the wall when properly installed. The hooks are heavy duty, we hang coats, full backpacks, purses, you name it, on them and they have never budged. No wobble at all to this piece! I bought baskets at IKEA to use in the storage areas. It is difficult to find something attractive yet functional enough to use in the entry hall, yet I have gotten several compliments on this. The only downside is the unit is black, so it shows dust easily. But it is so wonderful to have, having to dust it often is no biggie. I HIGHLY recommend getting this!
on January 15, 2012
Made of the same build it yourself type particle board found in all furniture of it class. Easy to assemble. Not a fan how it mounts to the wall and you have to be careful when putting in the center divides......holes go up! I think. Just double check.
Looks fine, works....what else to say? We found some baskets that fit perfect (and i mean perfect) from home depot but I can't find them online. They are called perfect home essentials, nylon medium storage bin. 10.5in w, 14.2 l, 8.5 h.
on October 1, 2013
I couldn't give this product a 5 star review, even if it is sturdy, but let me explain why.
First, the good. The unit is well built, but to a degree (but more on that later). Setting up didnt' take long and after it was all put together, I didn't notice any wobble or loose ends.The coat hooks really compliment the overall look and give it a good finish.
I calculate the weight to be around 50lbs.

Now, here's what I didn't like about this unit.
First, and I'm sure at this price it is a given, this piece is not made out of solid wood, it is compacted saw dust.
Second, you will need to install it on at least 3 studs, due to its weight.
This entire piece slides into a back piece (the one attached to the studs), but this back plate doesn't include the hardware to hang it.
So, you'll need to buy anchoring crews. NOT plastic or butterfly anchors. You need 2 1/2" anchor screws. I don't think Amazon sells that size screws, but you can check your local hardware store. Look for " The Hillman Group Wall Dog", which has a capacity of 250lbs (ON SOLID WOOD), you will also need a 3/16 wood drill bit.
I also noticed that the back plate was not leveled, whoever cut it, did not do a straight cut (a few mm, but noticeable when checking with a level).

All in all. The unit looks great, but I wish they had included the hardware to mount it. After all, I was able to buy a 25pk of Wall Dogs for about $7 locally. Good luck.
on December 8, 2010
The cubbie shelf arrived in a timely manner, albeit damaged. It was obviously a shipping damage and I did not contact the seller, because it wasn't worth the effort of having a new one shipped. The product itself is ingeniously designed and was easy to put together, but it was fabricated by the cheapest manufacturer. It looks decent at a glance, but upon close scrutiny it does not hold up well. It wouldn't survive any kind of manhandling, but it serves my purpose. However, my biggest complaint is that they shipped black screws to mount the chrome hooks.
on January 2, 2013
We wanted to put these shelves over bead board in the entryway of the house and put the Prepac Shoe Storage Cubby at the bottom. When the beadboard and two Prepac items were installed by my husband, the completed look was wonderful. Dressed up the entryway and gave us all a place for coats, shoes, and bookbags. I love the sense of order it gave to our family. We bought heavy duty hooks for the coats. The ones that came with the unit weren't big enough.
on February 9, 2012
Pros:
- it's on the wall and my clothes are off of the floor

Cons:
- assembly had a bit to be desired. The cubby dividers should only go in one way and the instructions do not indicate where the screw hole should go. We ended up having to drill an extra hole, which fortunately did not cause the pressboard to split.
- it did not come with wall mounting equipment. We needed a drill, 4 screws, and 4 hefty wall anchors in order to actually put it on the wall.
- there's a rather substantial gap of pressboard that's visible. Fortunately baskets hide it, but it's still not ideal.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 10, 2010
I am very disappointed on two fronts: 1) safety 2) quality.
1) safety - this unit is heavy and not actually screwed into the wall. There is a wall piece which screws in and then you slide the cabinet over it and it hangs on that piece without actually being screwed to it. I wonder how long this will hold up. I had a pottery barn shelf installed this way and after a year it literally fell off the wall. I do framing and other light construction and this was installed properly - it just failed over time. With this shelf being so heavy I would hate to be sitting underneath it if/when it gives way.
2) quality - I should have read the description more carefully. It is particle board with a shiny black laminate on top. There are places where the seams are already peeling apart and I just opened the box. It does not look like wood and I think it looks very cheap. There is also a section of the back which is open and when you hang it on the wall most of it is black but there is a 3 1/2 x 44 1/2 gap which is open and therefore whatever your wall color is. Not what I thought - the picture hides this very well because of the baskets (not included) and other stuff they have placed on the shelf.
This feels like a walmart product to me. I will try to return it.
on December 8, 2010
For the price that you pay, this item is worth it. I've seen others that look exactly the same for over double the price. The plastic dowels are difficult to get into the pieces, but can be done. Mounting on the wall was easy. Putting the item together was easy - I did it by myself. It looks really good in my entryway. The only thing is that with all the pushing, some of the wood laminate gets knicked a little but they include a wood marker to hide any imperfections!
on September 13, 2009
Love it, love it, love it! It was easy to assemble (by a GIRL =) about an hour) and it's so sturdy! IT looks really nice and I also bought the cubby seat to go with it (that I also assembled and highly recommend!). I am so happy with this purchase and have had numerous compliments from people who see it!
on July 21, 2011
Unlike other reviewers who write that the shelf is flimsy, I believe it's really solid and strong. I mounted it to the wall directly into the studs with 3 x 2.5" #10 wood screws. I can't imagine how the shelf will ever come down. I'm pleased. And the hardware I received was chrome/silver, not black.