5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love it!
As happens with any completely unfamiliar new product, you tend to compare to the closest previous version that you are familiar with--in this case it's the wire roasting rack.

A point-by-point comparison tends to overwhelmingly favor the Prepara Roasting Laurel:

Published 22 months ago by tachi1

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but retains odors
Published 23 months ago by Susan Byers

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love it!, October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Versatility: with the wire rack, you have to have the correct size for each roasting pan (or pyrex) you have. With the Laurel, one size fits all. Should you want to, you can get it in a pyrex that is 8"x 8" by tucking the front leaf from one frond between the leaves of the opposite one. It reshape to fit your pan, whether is round, square, rectangular, wide or narrow.

Health and flavor considerations: No brainer. The fat doesn't touch the meat; the juices evaporate and concentrate flavors. Your meat really roasts: it doesn't `fry' or `boil.' (You may have to adjust your recipe if you want more liquid to serve as a sauce or make gravy.). The overall browning is more even since the sides of the pan don't come up as high with the meat raised.

Functionality: I have thus far tried roasting an eye round roast and a bone-in turkey breast. I found that the Roasting Laurel nestled the meat much more efficiently so it didn't slide around when I rotated the pan and it even felt more secure when removing the pan from the oven. For the turkey breast, I used it in a circular shape; for the eye round, I elongated it. Whatever shape you bend it to, it will stay that way until you re-shape. (There is a metal frame that runs between the leaves so it will hold its shape). I always had a little sliding around with the wire rack when I took the pan out of the oven. There is no sliding. (Even with a previously-frozen turkey breasts which was a little misshapen). I was afraid that the fact that the turkey breast is raised a full inch from the bottom of the roasting pan would make it more wobbly and feel unstable when removing from the oven, but I didn't find that to be the case.

Drippings: This it's up to personal taste. I want some evaporation of the cooking liquids to allow for caramelization of the sauce and vegetables. This is why I often cook in a larger roasting pan than absolutely necessary. Others might prefer less evaporation and more liquid left in the pan. Since the meat is raised, more of the liquid is exposed to evaporation. I like that.

Cleaning up: The wire rack is horrible to clean and I (and my nails) have hated that part over the years. I wasn't sure how this would go so the first time I used cooking spray on the Roasting Laurel and the second time I did not. (You really don't have to). You could put it in the dishwasher, but I preferred to wash by hand after a brief soak because the bottom side is hollow and I wanted to be sure I got every trace out with Q-tips. (I may not be this fussy as time goes on, but I want to keep it looking new for a while).

Reservations: I wish it came with instructions. It just comes with the same descriptive text in several different languages, but the text doesn't tell you things like: Should you spray it or not? Are there any cleaning products you shouldn't use on it? Can it withstand acids when cooking? (I have a strong citrus, vinegar, and garlic marinade/sauce that I'm concerned about using it with). It doesn't state if discoloration will take place if you cook with tomato sauce or red wine. It does tell you that you can't use it on the grill or stovetop. It tells you the temperature limit (485 degrees) and not to use it in the microwave (why not?), but that's the only useful information it comes with.

I guess, I'll find out the answer to my questions as time goes on (I'll report any problems) but, right now, I'm delighted with my new Roasting Laurel. I like the way it securely nestles my food; I love the way my sauces cook when I use it; I love the way it looks; and I even found a new use for it: it's a great trivet to use on the counter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for healthy roasting-bends to any shape needed, October 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hate wire roasting racks and hate washing them even more, that said I love this roasting laurel. I hate when I bake a meatloaf and it sits in the grease, this laurel holds the loaf above the grease...woohoo no more lifting the meatloaf out of the ecky grease pool and scraping the fat off. The laurel bends so I can shape it to what I am cooking, as a bone-in turkey breast has different needs than a beef/pork roast. I also like the example shown on the Amazon product page of holding up stuffed peppers.

This laurel goes right into your dishwasher and cleans up beautifully.

Per the limited instruction you can not use this in a microwave, or grill. Slowcookers/crockpots were not mentioned, I wish the instructions had more details. I will try more recipes and report back.

Update: Roasted rosemary chicken (bone in) breasts, came out perfectly. Browned all around, cooked evenly, and most importantly; did no sit in the grease.

Update 2-16-13....I use this quite a bit, especially when roasting large pieces of meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous!, October 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hate everything about roasting racks from the way the meat sticks to them when you try to remove it to the difficulty cleaning them -- if I can't drop it in the dishwasher, I don't want it. Generally, I end up either balancing a chicken or roast on an inverted saucer or wasting a big hunk of expensive heavy aluminum foil to fashion a throw-away rack. With the saucer, the meat slips off into the grease half the time and with the foil, well, I don't have to wash it, but the meat still clings to it, creating a mess. Prepara's Roasting Laurel is an answer to a dream I didn't even know I had.

So far, I've roasted several big chickens, one pork shoulder, and kept baked apples standing upright by twisting this marvelous tool around to suit my purposes. It's easy, adjustable, and cleans in a jiffy. No hunks of chicken pull off when I lift it from the laurel, so everything looks great. This wonderful gadget is the absolutely perfect present for the cook who has everything -- or for reluctant cooks like me. It's worth every penny! Highly, highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but retains odors, September 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a few racks that I use for roasting foods like a whole chicken or piece of meat, that I don't want sitting in a puddle of fat. The problem with them is that they never quite fit the pans I have, so I was eager to try out the Prepara Roasting Laurel that I received from the amazon Vine program. You can bend this item to fit a variety of pans (big plus!) and the size of the item you are roasting. It worked as expected, and cleaned up easily in the dishwasher. I was jazzed about it until I opened the drawer where I have it stored a few days later and realized that it, and the drawer, now smell strongly (albeit deliciously) like the pork spareribs that I had marinated and cooked. Deliciously now -- I doubt whether the odor will be as pleasant in a few months, and after I've added a chicken or two, some lamb shanks and a hunk of grass-fed beef to the mix. I have used other silicone items that didn't retain odor, or so strongly. This, to me, is a real downside to an otherwise handy and useful item. It's true, I am sensitive to odors, and particularly anything rancid; so if you're more tolerant of random smells, this does work quite well and is very cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool stuff, October 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first used this with a five pound roasted chicken, it worked fine. I found this really a cool stuff that can change into any shape to fit almost any size chicken or a small turkey. It keeps the bird up, and the grease drippings could be collected by having a pan underneath. It is very flexible, the roasted bird does not stick, it is easy to clean and I found it is dishwasher safe. I have used this little tool three times so far and I didn't have to scrub like other roasting racks. I wish they made this a little larger that could have fitted a bigger bird like a turkey.

5.0 out of 5 stars What will they think of next?, October 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must admit my expectations for this odd little item were pretty low, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it actually is extremely versatile and works wonderfully!

Although I don't eat a lot of meat occasionally I roast a chicken, bake a fish or do a turkey. Recently I had to give my dog a rather unpleasant powdery medication for five days in "wet" food. I knew dog food wasn't going to fool her or have her gulping down the meds! I used the Prepara Roasting Laurel when roasting the chicken. It served a two-fold purpose-one it kept the chicken out of the grease droppings and secondly it allowed me to maximize the grease dropping quantity! I was able to chop the meat up and use a couple tablespoons of the grease to mix the medication in and the dog was in seventh heaven with her human food.

I also used the Laurel to roast some peppers like those shown in the picture. It helped keep them upright. That successful cooking experience led me to using with squash. I love the way you can move the Laurel around in order to keep the peppers and squash upright!

As time goes on I'm sure I'll find more uses for the Laurel. I'm so glad I decided to take a chance on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this been all my life?, October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I do a lot of roasting and smoking. Of course I have any number of racks and trays for that purpose, depending on the meat and its size/weight. Racks don't always hold the meat where I want and they aren't easy to clean up when covered in juices, sauce, and fat that has been burned on over several hours. For a long time, I resorted to using makeshift racks made from folded and stacked aluminum foil, but this can also be sticky and messy, and it is wasteful and tedious.

Well, thanks to the roasting laurel, no more piles of foil will be necessary. I tried this right away on my toughest recipe, involving bourbon, brown sugar, and spare ribs (right: sugar, more sugar, and fat). The laurel bends to about any shape needed and then holds that shape, sitting neatly in most any tray. I put it in a foil lined pan, plopped my ribs on top and slathered on the sauce. They were cooked over three hours, turned several times, always adding sauce on top each time. As usual, the drippings and sauces/sugars formed an eighth of an inch deep pool at the bottom of the tray, eventually drying, crusting, and burning to a crisp black. (The ribs turned out great, thank you very much.) After I removed the ribs, I let the tray cool to room temperature. When I went to remove the laurel, it pulled right out from the tray, leaving the blackened sauce and crusted foil behind (with a pretty cool leaf pattern). I started to soak it in water, but most everything floated right off. I was a little annoyed by the large number of nooks and crannies between the leaves and the indentation where the leaves meet the stem, but no scrubbing was necessary - just soapy sponge and even rubbing. I estimate cleaning time of the laurel compared to a typical rack to be about one-fourth as time intensive, and probably one-fiftieth energy intensive. The fact that it didn't get stuck to the sugar and fat hardened to a black tar like coating was impressive enough. This thing is great, and I'm going to get a lot of use out of it. I can't wait to try this during next summer's smoking season!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't use it again if it was offered to me as a freebie., December 7, 2013
Win In Chatsworth (Chatsworth, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prepara Roasting Laurel (Kitchen)
While shopping at BB&B for a roasting rack, I saw this same product # on clearance for $9.99 and bypassed it as hype. When I later looked at all the favorable reviews on Amazon, I went back to buy it the next day, I used it this week in a 12x14 roaster for a tri tip and also in a 9 x 12 pan for a chicken.

I'm returning it for my money back.
Despite shaping the laurel, it expands during cooking. Both the tri tip and the chicken slid off the laurel to crust at the center of the pan--eliminating the benefits of a rack to promote heat circulation while roasting.

Although the specs state it can be used to 500 degrees, the actual package states a maximum of 482 degrees (same product #, I double checked). If a recipe calls for an initial sear at 500 degrees before lowering the temperature, this rack cannot be used for that recipe.

I expected it to be solid silicone. However, it is hollow under the leaves.

After use, I spent frustrating time using a pipe-cleaner sized brush to clean out the underside leaf hollows and the crevices between the leaves (this chore is kind of like using q-tips for cleaning around the ears). . It retains food smells, too. Yuck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great in my Crock-Pot...much, much nicer than a wire rack, October 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Through the years, I tried several different homemade methods to keep my meat from sitting in its juices when I roast it or cook it in the crock-pot. I used to buy wire cookie racks & cut, then bend the wires to make feet. My homemade rack was usually wobbly & I had to make different sizes to fit different pans. I used aluminum foil shaped into balls; I've used onions or potatoes under meat I cook in the crock-pot. Needless, to say, each homemade method always irritated me in one way or another.
Then along came the Prepara Roasting Laurel. It's great! And can be bent to fit just about any pan. (There is a bendable metal spine in the Laurel so it can be shaped to fit any pan or baking dish. The metal spine is the reason it shouldn't be used in a microwave). The Prepara Roasting Laurel works great in my 6 quart crock-pot. The Laurel is dishwasher safe, non-stick, BPA free & oven safe up to 482 degrees F, 250 C.

I decided to make a lean meatloaf in my Crock-Pot SCCPCTS605-S Cook Travel Serve 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker to test the Laurel. I wasn't sure how the meatloaf would sit on the the Laurel leaves, so I divided the meatloaf into two sections, shaped each section separately, then placed each one on the Laurel. The Laurel kept my meatloaf out of its juices; the crock-pot kept the meatloaf moist. The Laurel also raised the meatloaf high enough that I was able to test the meat's temperature w/o removing the crock-pot lid.

I can't find much wrong with the Laurel, except that it can't be used on a cook-top, under a broiler or in a microwave. Also, the Laurel didn't get clean enough in my dishwasher. After I took it out of the dishwasher, I had to do some hand cleaning. But, then again, I always had to clean my homemade wire racks by hand.

Great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a clever idea, September 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, I probably never would have bought this for myself, but when I was given the opportunity to review it for Vine, I thought, why not? I've purchased Prepara products in the past and found them to be well made.

Now that I've got this roasting laurel, I'm seeing just how useful it is. I have a halogen oven, and I far prefer using this roasting laurel on the bottom of the oven than the low rack that came with it. Opened out as shown in the photo here, it lies perfectly along the outer edge of the bottom of my BIG BOSSTM 1300-Watt Oil-Less Fryer, 16-Quart, and it can also be shaped in smaller. It is strong enough to handle the weight of anything I could fit into my oven.

The only way I can see this roasting laurel could be improved is to make it completely solid silicone, although perhaps that would make it less flexible. On the underside of the laurel, the individual leaflets are thick-walled but hollow. This could be an issue when hand-washing, especially if any food bits that might have floated up into the inside of the leaflets are allowed to sit and harden, but if the laurel is washed in the dishwasher, that ought to take care of it. Too, if your roasting pan is flat, the laurel should press down and seal against it when weight is placed on top.

I really do like it and will keep it in my Big Boss for daily use.

Prepara Roasting Laurel