on January 15, 2014
I received Prepared for a Purpose by Antoinette Tuff in the mail yesterday, and I stayed up too late to finish it last night. I didn't want to put it down. I vaguely remembered the media attention to a woman who talked a gunman out of shooting anyone at a school in August 2013, but I didn't really remember the details. This book tells the story of that day, interspersed with the story of Antoinette "Marie" Tuff''s life.

At first, I was disappointed that the narrative started on the crisis date and then left many questions unanswered as it went back into Tuff's past, but after the first chapter, I enjoyed the interplay between her personal history and the crisis in the school office. Tuff asserts that she was prepared by the Lord for a purpose, and that day, she was a vessel used for good. Her testimony is interspersed with Bible verses, and it is obvious that Tuff is a woman who focuses on God. Each chapter begins with a Bible verse that corresponds with the issues in that chapter. Her back story is engrossing, as is the surreal interaction between her and the gunman in the school office. The only real complaint I have with the book is a stylistic issue: every few pages, a quote from the text is set in bold as a sidebar. It reminded me of a magazine, where you are tempted to read an article because of a well-placed quote that draws you in. In a book format, though, I found this distracting and unnecessary. The story is fascinating without any gimicks.

I highly recommend this book. It would be an excellent selection for a book club, and there are discussion questions included at the end. This story is inspiring and uplifting, and Tuff gives all the glory to God.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of a review, but all opinions are my own.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2014
This book is very well written. What a wonderful story of how a woman saves a school from being shot up by an intruder. She demonstrates bravery and courage throughout the ordeal with the shooter. She believes that she is the vessel that God used her to help get the intruder to give up. I would definitely recommend this book!! I received a copy of this book free from Bethany house.
on February 10, 2014
When I started reading this book, I didn't enjoy the way the story went from what was happening that horrible day at the Atlanta school to a look back at Antoinette's life. But I soon realized how effective it is in telling this powerful story - it points out how the struggles she's overcome helped her deal with the horror staring her in the face while filling in for a co-worker. Antoinette is a single mom who raised two children one of which has severe disabilities. Devastated by her husband's leaving her for another woman, struggling financially, she tried to end it all on a number of occasions, a friend brought her back from the brink. With that thought in mind she looked at the gunman as a hurting soul, who desperately needed help. Praying for composure and courage, she reached out to Michael, calmly pleading with him, sharing events from her own life to defuse him. This finally led to him surrendering, with nobody getting hurt or worse.

I loved how Antoinette's reflections of this nightmare of a day she couldn't have done what she did without God: Because just as my journey led me to that office and that front desk on that day, Michael's long difficult journey led him to the very same place. And when he needed more than anything, someone to listen to him, the person there to listen was me. Though he spoke with hate, I listened with love. Though he struggles, I saw his worth. Though he dwelt in darkness, I searched for his spark...because he would fall, I held him up. The person I was with Michael is the person I am - the person God prepared me to be.

Disclaimer:

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
on January 27, 2014
Prepared for a Purpose by Antoinette Tuff (Alex Tresniowski) is a fast quick read that packs a punch. I wanted to review this book initially because the story is close to home and I heard so much about it. This is definitely a memorable book. The writing style intertwines the events of that day with her personal story. As the book states, "it is about how God guides us all on our journeys and prepares us for a purpose that is not always ours to know." Her story is amazing, heartbreaking at times, but triumphant. She reminds us that we are all here for a reason and we must do all that we can to prepare ourselves for that time. If you want to read a story that is inspirational, you must read this book. While reading, I actually had to stop mid-sentence to pause, think, and evaluate my life and how I could make some changes. If any book can make you do that, then it is definitely worth the read.
Grade: 5 stars
on January 21, 2014
Antoinette Tuff believes that all her life she was being prepared to deal with the event of Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy involving Michael Hill. She feels the series of events in her life prior to the school being under siege prepared her to help save the lives of the children in the school. Although the events in MS Tuff’s life are not unique, it is how she responded to those events that makes her story inspirational. She shows that from a young child how her life was influenced by God’s Word and even when things got tough, she depended on God for guidance. In the face of much adversity she clung to her faith that God would see her through. With this being her background, when she faced Michael Hill holding his AK-47 she was able to remain calm because she knew that God was guiding her demeanor and her words. Her compassionate spirit caused her to be able to relate with this trouble man in a way that she was able to help him surrender without hurting anyone.

This book is filled with a lot of inspiration and although we may not face the same situations as MS. Tuff, our lives can relate to hers. In my opinion this was an excellently written book about faith, but feel there were several things that gave no relevance to the story line.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House Publishing blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2014
Since I work in the schools, I've often wondered what I would do if I were confronted with a gunman. Would I panic? Would I stay calm? Would I be brave? Stories are becoming all too common of a student or an adult waving a gun in our schools and threatening our students. Antoinette Tuff was confronted with this situation a few months ago while working in the office of an elementary school in Atlanta. This is her story.

The book alternates between details of that potentially tragic day on August 20, 2013 and Antoinette's life story. The majority of the text focuses on the events of her life and how God used it all to shape and prepare her for this moment. I found it to be an honest and inspiring testimony - one that gives the glory to God. She writes, "There is nothing special about me that enabled me to be a vessel for God. The truth is, God uses us all to accomplish His work. He can turn any one of us into an instrument of good. What happened to me that day can happen to each and every one of us, at any moment, in any situation. We just never know when that moment is coming, or what that situation will be. But we are all capable of being God's vessel - of fulfilling the purpose God has chosen for us."

Antoinette has had many struggles in her life, but she has also learned to anchor to God's truth and find her hope in Him. When faced with a crisis she was able to draw strength, wisdom, and compassion from God. May we all learn to do the same.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for an honest review.
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2014
When I got this book I thought, how can they make a whole book out of an incident in the news that only took a few hours and how did they get it out there so fast after the fact? This is the story of Antoinette Tuff who was sitting at the reception desk of the school where she worked in Atlanta while the regular receptionist went to lunch. While she was sitting there, a gunman entered the room and threatened everyone in the school. Ms. Tuff spent a very long time alone with the gunman. In an unusual state of calm which she says was totally from God, she managed to talk him down. No one was injured in the standoff.

I found this book difficult to put down. I read it rather quickly. Not only does she take us through the events of the day, she gives us the testimony of her life that led her up to this point. She was dealing with some very difficult life situations on that day, but she still managed to hear God's voice and do and say all the right things to calm the gunman down. She is a true hero and a wonderful person. I am praying that all the situations she was dealing with get resolved for her.

This book was very well written. I know she had a co-author, Alex Tresniowski, but the story is her own and she was very brave to put it all out there for the world to see.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for review. I did not received any compensation for the review and the opinions expressed here are my own.
on January 25, 2014
Really 3 ½ stars! I remember the day this happened and hearing Antoinette Tuff's voice on the 911 call and being amazed at her composure and bravery. I truly believe she saved many lives that day.

Her book moves between the events of that day and the events of her life. There are a lot of Bible quotes which I don't mind but, since I read the Bible myself, I just skimmed them unless it was one of my favorites which several were. She had many personal struggles, her life was not an easy one, but she never stopped fighting to improve her and her family's lives. I read the book in a day and when it ended I was sorry. There were many questions left unanswered and I so wanted to know what happened to her and how she resolved her problems. I hope the success of this book improves her life because she definitely deserves it.
on January 18, 2014
"Prepared for a Purpose" is written by Antoinette Tuff. This book is amazing. It's the story of an incredible woman who in the face of great difficulty, stood calm, relied on her faith and was able to keep her entire school safe from what could have been another deadly school shooting.

As 870 students remain on lock down, Antoinette is faced with Michael Hill, a intruder who enters the front of office and states " were gonna die today." This book doesn't just begin here, it also begins with Antoinette facing her own pain as a child, her pain in her marriage and the rejection, hurt and despair she once felt.

This pain and journey allowed her to be courageous in the face of adversity and prepared her for a moment that nothing else could. My favorite quote from this Book:

I highly recommend this book. I read it cover to cover in two hours. It will grip you as you read the story of a woman who pours her heart out and faces extraordinary circumstances and saves the staff and students at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy. As a school social worker, this book spoke to my heart in so many ways. Michael Hill is a human, who for whatever reason on that day had lots of anxiety, was clearly aggravated, had some mental health issues and needed someone to love and listen to him. I think we can learn a lot from Antoinette and the way she handled herself and her
personal life.

Thank you to Bethany House for allowing me to review this book. To find out more information on go to [...] You can currently find it on Amazon, Barnes& Nobles or any other fine retailers. I give this book five stars and will pass it on to my colleagues.
on April 5, 2014
Prepared for a Purpose by Antoinette Tuff is a fascinating mixture of one woman's horrifying experience with an attempted school shooting and her equally interesting life story both before and after the experience. It is quite amazing how her life experiences before the attempted school shooting helped to defuse a potentially horrid loss of young lives.

This book focuses on the reasons why things happen and how God can use horrible events to save other people's lives or help people in the future. It covers issues such as depression, suicide, divorce and raising a disabled child as well as how her experiences helped her to deal with the gunman at the school.

Personally I found this book more interesting that I thought it would be, mainly due to the back story of the author. The attempted school schooling sections were tense but seemed to linger a bit too long, however the author's story added a lot to the book as a whole and the events at the school.

The narrator was quite good, as it sounded how I thought the author would sound. Initially I thought it was actually the author reading the book. Also she read at a consistent pace and added emotion to the text, which made a compelling story even more interesting.

This book would help anyone who struggling with their purpose in life, dealing with depression or just wondering how God makes bad things work out for good.

This audio book was gifted as a part of the christianaudio Reviewers Program in exchange for my unbiased review of this work. More information can be found about this and other Christian audio books at christianaudio.com.