5.0 out of 5 stars a great resource
Published 19 months ago by BT

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit light.
Published 12 months ago by Peter W. Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars a great resource, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Preparing for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide to Financial Planning (Paperback)
This book is a resource everybody should have. It's one of the most concise, easy to understand, and organized publications I've ever read on managing your money and I have read a few books over the years concerning this topic-Malkiel, Ellis, Bogle ,Merriman, and others. It has information concerning topics you may be very familiar with but may not have the numbers or facts in your head to be able to use effectively without having to go look it up-things you might forget. It enables anybody that might not have loads of investing experience to be able to understand investing simply and well-all in a book in a format that's very easy to use. Most books on this subject you read take days to read and you read on hoping to get to the part that pertains to you-how to manage your particular situation. This is a book of facts to help you make decisions. It's a loose leaf book-simply written in short chapters- almost like capsules, but the chapters have so much concentrated information in short articles. It has information to help you decide where you might want to live, a good tax chapter,social security, medicare, drawing down your nest egg, simple but helpful information on investments, even long term care advice, etc. It's like a synopsis of every really good magazine article you might find in Kiplinger or Money on retirement concentrated in short articles. I am frankly surprised the price is so reasonable (I received mine as part of a class these gentlemen taught) and I'm going to advise my friends to order one. It's half the price of most books I've read but it reads much quicker. You can read it in two hours but you'll sure want to keep it handy so you can review it when you need to. The information it contains is something you'll need to refer back on when you need it. Yes, people that study money management or CPA's will know many things in this book but the interesting facts that can supplement your knowledge that you may not be familiar with make it worth buying. If you aren't comfortable with retirement or managing investments this is the book for you. If you are, you still will like this book-I do. I think it's a real value and a good addition to any investing library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Retirement Planning Resource!, May 29, 2013
L. Wentworth (Rockport,Me.USA) - See all my reviews
Financial and retirement planning are very misunderstood topics. So many people get to retirement and find they haven't saved enough. Many times this is because they haven't understood how to invest and what a profound effect investing early and wisely has on their retirement finances. This is great book! It makes difficult concepts much easier to understand and would be a great addition to anyone's library. It would make a great gift for friends and family. The charts and tables are useful and easy to comprehend. It covers everything from investment account types, risk, taxes, Medicare, social security and estate planning to name a few. Again, a must have for your library! Preparing for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide to Financial Planning

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, succinctly communicated, August 8, 2013
Let me preface my review by saying that I have read lots of books about retirement, financial planning, investments, etc. So, I feel like I have seen a pretty good snapshot of what's out there to educate folks on money related topics. This book, "Preparing for Retirement", was a great addition to my library. I think what I like best about it is the organizational structure and how the author is able to succinctly communicate the important details without any extra fluff. The chapters are straightforward and the topics are all important in their own way to creating an holistic financial plan. I would strongly recommend "Preparing for Retirement" to anyone who would like to increase their knowledge-base about all things financial.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit light., November 1, 2013
This is a well written and comprehensive introduction to preparing for retirement. I read it cover-to-cover in a few hours. So why only three stars? I found it touched on most areas I was interested in, but was quite light when I looked for more detail. I wanted to know more about the tax advantages of ETFs, the mix of investments appropriate to diversification across pre-tax and post-tax accounts, draw-down strategies for various accounts, etc. This was not the book for that. Perhaps I'm being unfair in expecting all that from a retirement book.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful with lots of tips, March 13, 2014
Got a lot of good information and helpful hints. Like the to the point graphs and illustrations. A must read if you are planning your retirement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for family member and I also read the book ..., September 22, 2014
Gift for family member and I also read the book. Has a lot of information but for more information I also got other books as gifts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but, limited practicality, February 11, 2014
This has great tidbits and great guides for 2013 tax laws and such. So, for a very limited time, this has appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK book, September 9, 2013
This has good information but I found it a little dry. Maybe just me but all the writing is in gray, no color pictures and seems pretty analytical.

Preparing for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide to Financial Planning
Preparing for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide to Financial Planning by Ryan Glover CFP (Paperback - April 29, 2013)
Used & New from: $6.12