5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to have a salad spinner
Let's be honest, no one NEEDS a salad spinner. My wife wanted one, we are short on cupboard space, this works great. It collapses down to 1/2 the normal height and spins salad just fine. I wonder how the flex portions of the inner and outer bowl (that allow the collapsing) will hold up over time but as of right now, I'd recommend this product.

UPDATE...
Published on January 18, 2010 by Joe Marietta

1.0 out of 5 stars Cord broke after less than ten uses
Published on January 30, 2010 by Robert Aho

1.0 out of 5 stars Cord broke after less than ten uses, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Prepworks from Progressive International CSS-1 Collapsible 4-Quart Salad Spinner (Kitchen)
We were very excited to receive this item as a gift. After about ten uses of spinning salad greens (not overloaded or something obscure) the cord broke. It showed significant signs of fraying and abrasion. We pulled the handle just a few times for each drying cycle. We'll be searching online for similar experiences and potential fixes, we'd love to get it back up and running.

1.0 out of 5 stars cord broke after about 10 uses, February 14, 2010
Jaye (east coast, south) - See all my reviews
This appears to be a high quality spinner, well made and sturdy. A lot of thought went into the design and it is the nicest spinner I have seen. A bit stiff to collapse but with use that should become easier.

*****
I've changed my mind - the cord broke...that's about $2 per salad. ugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to have a salad spinner, January 18, 2010
Joe Marietta (Kalamazoo, MI United States) - See all my reviews

UPDATE (12/3/12) The collapsible portions have held up just fine thru extended use and being run thru the dishwasher. The cord on the spinning mechanism, however, did not hold up. It broke about 6-9 months ago and we've just been using the bowl to hold greens. I'm contemplating replacing it (unable to fix it) with another one or possibly the 3-qt size which appears to have a direct-drive mechanism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, cord can be repaired, a better design is needed., November 4, 2010
We purchased one of these and overall I like the appearance. Being collapsible is nice and could be handy in a cupboard with many items in it already. To be fully honest though, we may buy an OXO next time, which is what we had previously and it lasted for many years.

Having said that, we broke the pull string after 10 or 15 uses. While this was frustrating and points to some serious design flaws, the string can be replaced and you can still get some useful life out of the spinner.

When you look at the lid, after unscrewing the center nut and taking off the clear plastic piece, there are four spots that look like they have been filled with plastic. This covers the screws that hold together the case. With a drill of the appropriate size, gently drill in the holes. I was too ambitious with the first hole and damaged the head of the screw. With a little care, there is no need to damage the screw.

Remove the screws and remove that case, then also take out 5 more screws, removing the small "case" in the center that holds the drive gear loosely, and then a second larger case that covers the rewind mechanism. The rewind mechanism comes off and the string can be replaced. I believe I put an extra wrap of string around the rewind mechanism, being careful to check that it would not fully wind up the spring when fully pulled. You will need to tie a knot in the string to come against a stainless steel washer that prevents the string from pulling out too far and damaging the rewind mechanism. Feed the string back out through the hole in the lid and leave plenty hanging out to reattach the pull handle.

Now put the large and small cases back on with their respective parts in place, then put the whole assembly back together. You can tell the proper orientation by the location of the brake button, as there is a place that it needs to be that is pretty easy to see.

Then turn the lid over and replace the handle. I had to drill a small hole in the outer end of the handle and enlarge it with a small knife so that I could tied a fairly large knot in the end of the string and have it pull into the center of the handle and lodge firmly. It takes a little time and I made multiple tries to get it right. When I put the string up through the handle, I cut apart a piece of old wire that went to a lamp and took one of the fine strands of wire and wrapped it around the end of the string with 5 or 6 inches left unwrapped. This let me push the wire up through the handle and then the wire stayed wrapped sufficiently to get the wire through the hole and then I could tie my large knot. I believe I ended up with more pulling length by adding another wrap and my wife believes it works better than when it was new.

I know this is a somewhat complicated procedure to fix an item that should not have broken. However, if you want to continue using this spinner and not waste your money by throwing it away (and consider the time spent fixing it to be recreation rather than work), it can be fixed.

I used snap-line string, which you can buy in the hardware store. Mine was in a yellow case that you can put chalk in and then pull out and snap a line, handy with masonry work, marking a line in the floor for putting up a wall etc. You can use any tough string, I assume. Good luck.

FOLLOW-UP December 13, 2012

I like this spinner quite a bit. Since the repair mentioned above, it has worked very well. We are still using the string I installed in the original repair, it shows no sign of wear and we have used this quite a bit. So, the only flaw was the size of the string. A fairly thin but durable string and this unit is a quality salad spinner. The original pull string seemed to have been chosen for it's appearance, rather than functionality. I've upgraded my review to 4 stars, since it's working very nicely, however it should not have to be repaired to function well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made product, February 7, 2010
I got one for Christmas and I love it. It's a well made product. It's collapsible so it take up less room. I like the pull string better than the ones you crank and the lid disassembles for cleaning. It's very well thought out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Received as a gift...cord has already broken, April 4, 2010
I thought I had received the perfect gift...didn't take up much room, practical, worked pretty good if I put a paper towel in with green, good for storing greens overnight for the next salad. I was spinning salad for Easter dinner...and the cord broke. It was pretty frayed. My handy husband said, if I can get it apart, I will put some weed eater cord in it...but he looked at it and there is no way he can repair it. I am hoping to take it back to the place that it came from even though I have no rec. and see if I can get a different type of spinner. So sad!

3.0 out of 5 stars online video in error!, March 10, 2010
Works great, but I contacted the Progressive International co to correct conflicting information given on the Amazon.com website. The demo video says that you can put in dishwasher, the manufacturer (and the instructions on the box the salad spinner came in) says HANDWASH ONLY. I bought the product because I wanted one I could put into the dishwasher! :( I'm debating as to whether or not I will return the product. It does work well, though. And the smaller storage space required because of it being collapsible is good. I wish it were really dishwasher safe. Too bad they've got bad info here on the website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spin Out!, January 27, 2010
This salad spinner is great! It is sturdy, nice looking and spin dries lettuce and other veggies perfectly. You can also use the large outer bowl for serving. I love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cord Breaks, June 4, 2010
K. Woodcox (United States) - See all my reviews
After about ten uses of spinning salad greens (not overloaded or something obscure) the cord broke. It showed significant signs of fraying and abrasion. We pulled the handle just a few times for each drying cycle. I would not buy this product again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only worth it if you really really really need the space, April 24, 2010
The pull-start bit is awesome, the collapsibility is neat... but the band of green silicone that makes up the vertical center of the basket (that which allows it to collapse) stops water from flying off your lettuce. You'll have to spin it two, three times as long as a normal salad spinner... and I usually give up before the lettuce is as dry as I want. I imagine this model would be great for apartment life: the folded up size is great & it's convenient to store but if you have the space for a regular salad spinner don't waste your time on this one. Sure it spins, but I mean you're buying it to dry your salad, not to send it on a ride, right?

$22.50 $21.73