5.0 out of 5 stars works great, but avoid the 3rd party sellers
Published 1 month ago by l2

1.0 out of 5 stars Rusted after one use
I think the title says it all - received the product, looked a little flimsy but it worked. then i used it, washed it by hand, and the next time I went to use it the thing was covered in rust
Published 16 months ago by Simple Complications

1.0 out of 5 stars Rusted after one use, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Prepworks from Progressive International GT-3931 Stainless Steel Mesh Tea Ball (Kitchen)

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, March 12, 2014
Used it once and was pleased with it, although the chain is too short for large mugs and if the mug wall is thick it wont clip on so you have to loop it around the handle then hook it to the chain which reduces the depth at which it will float in your tea....

Second use? Came apart in my hands - the hinge where the two halves lock together is just crimped metal, no bolt or welds - completely un-fixable. Sent back the very next day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Flimsy, April 14, 2011
I've used various tea strainers/infusers over the yrs, and this is by far the most flimsy. I have a similiar one (not this brand)that I've had for over 5 yrs. This one looked just like the one I wanted to replace. But this one is much more cheaply made, and the 2 sections can not be secured tightly enough. I returned it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose tea falls out, October 17, 2011
This tea ball is horrible. It's so cheap, that when it's closed it doesn't close flush so there is a huge gap and the leaves fall out and get all in your tea. I understand you get what you pay for, but the product should at least work. And its not like it did that after a couple times of using it. It was shipped to me like that. Do not buy this tea ball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, November 22, 2011
While I didn't have any leaf leakage, the moment I opened the ball, the latch fell off. It is attached by a tiny, misshapen dot of metal (someone described it as about the size of pencil lead) that shows no evidence of stopper or notch that might keep the latch in place upon it. I was able to finagle the latch back on enough to stay shut and be useful, but I don't think I want to deal with this every time I want a cup of tea.

My suggestion: don't waste your time or money on this tea ball. Pay a few extra bucks for something trustworthy or hit up your local tea shop and make sure you're getting a good product in person.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time., March 12, 2014
This may be cheap, but unless you have very large tea leaves, the mesh screen is far too large and most of the tea leaves end up in your tea. Also, shipping took over a month for me, made me think I wasn't going to get it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super fragile, March 12, 2010
I was excited to receive this item as I have purchased some really awesome tea that I can't wait to brew at home/work. However, when I tried to wash this for the first time last night, I almost broke it just trying to get it open. The latch started to bend under normal pressure (I'm small, not very strong). I cannot recommend this product because I just don't see the durability.

Update - after using this for the first time, I will have to buy something else. It allowed a great deal of the tea leaves right through the mesh, leading to a very difficult to drink cup of tea.

I cannot recommend this item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Go to the store and buy one., March 13, 2014
Don't waste your time on this item. The holes are too big and let's out normal size loose tea!! And the clasp is complicated and too cumbersome. Don't bother with this. It looks great in theory but in reality, zip!

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, but avoid the 3rd party sellers, November 14, 2014
This product is getting a lot of negative reviews, but I wonder if everyone is reviewing the exact same product. I bought mine directly from Amazon for $2.79, not one of the 3rd party China vendors that sell these for $1. The product arrived in a Prepworks-labeled plastic blister-pack. I have used it numerous times over the past month and it still looks great, with no stains or rust.

I also bought a similar looking $1 product from a 3rd party seller. It looks somewhat similar, but the construction quality is noticeably worse. The clasp doesn't line up as well or grip as well. The mesh is wider, so you cannot use it with finely ground teas. This one rusted after I first washed it, before using it for any tea.

1.0 out of 5 stars Teaball, November 9, 2011
Hi, I bought two of these.Thought these were the cat's meow when I bought them. They DO NOT seal well . When you latch them shut 1 side or the other has a pencil lead size slit that the tea leaves seep out of,even if you don't swirl your ball around.SUGGESTION go to Bimart, other big retailer find the ball with a handle that has a sizzor action and works flawlessly. If you like big cups of tea, there is a bigger one at Bimart. makes 24 oz of dark tea.

Prepworks from Progressive International GT-3931 Stainless Steel Mesh Tea Ball