Format: Hardcover
In his first book, THE MINDFUL COACH, Doug Silsbee provides an invaluable guide to help the coach focus their active listening and powerful questioning skills in service to their clients. It was and remains an incredibly powerful resource for me in my own practice.

Now Doug has done it again. With PRESENCE-BASED COACHING, Doug has published a must-read for any Professional Coach who wants to take their practice to the next level. Providing simple yet incredibly powerful exercises, Silsbee's coaching moves are powerful tools for your own development as well as your clients'. Doug has written this book to help you, the coach, be more present with your client -- involved, listening on all levels, engaged and authentic. Doug provides guidance to help you, as coach, cultivate this level of engagement in others.

Crazy-busy? Bringing presence into your work and life can help you focus so that you are better able to tap into that rich data pool around you and put it in service to your clients, your family, yourself and others. Doug helps you engage with your whole self--mind, body and heart. If it's time to take your coaching to a deeper level then this book is for you.
on November 30, 2008
Format: Hardcover
Doug Silsbee's newest book, Presence-based Coaching: Cultivating Self-Generative Leaders Through Mind, Body, and Heart, teaches me that PRESENCE is the key determinant of a coach's success.

More than credentials, related expereience, or even passion, PRESENCE is now a column in my hiring framework. As a manager of corporate and entrepreneurial coaches, I have the good fortune to meet many talented coaches. Together, we develop excellent practices and remain focused on the self-generative needs of leaders, our clients. However, there was something else, something essential that I wanted to attract to our team of great coaches. Now I realize that my focus was too limited.

Now I know that PRESENCE can be developed. And Doug's book teaches me that we need to practice such skills in order to be great coaches. Amid the fast-paced changes in our culture and our relationships, self-generative leaders are essential. We all need to exhale, then focus on our breathing and daily actions, as we serve others.

I strongly recommend this book if you care about developing your influence, leadership skills, or your connection to others.

Respectfully, Doug Gray, PCC,
VP Learning and Development, Rich Campe International, author of Passionate Action: 5 Steps to Creating Extraordinary Success in Life and Work
Format: Hardcover
I love Doug's book because it provides such a wonderful guide for helping me stay in touch with why I am a coach and consultant. I do this work because I want to help people live more powerful, playful, and passionate lives. In those moments when my own internal dialogue threatens to get in the way of my effectiveness, I now have a way to reconnect with my inner source of power and refocus my attention on making a difference for my clients. Doug's book has actually allowed me to feel more at ease during the coaching process. I do not worry as much about "doing a good job" or "providing value." Instead, I center and let my inner purpose be the source of my contribution. Putting the elements of Presence-Based Coaching into practice will not only help you become a more effective coach or leader, it will help any relationship flourish.
on March 24, 2009
Format: Hardcover
Doug Silsbee's book Presence-Based Coaching is a significant contribution to the field of coaching and valuable for anyone wanting to enhance their ability to become more present in their life and work. Through simple, yet profound practices Doug guides readers through understanding and most importantly experiencing presence as the book unfolds. He has artfully brought the ancient wisdom of mindfulness, meditation and body awareness and applied these practices to coaching. He carefully describes presence in all it's subtleties through illustrative client examples, showing how connecting with body awareness and meditation practices and other practices can bring us into presence.

As a coach, long time meditator and student of body work, I found this book valuable as a way to fine tune my practices, therefore I think it is a useful for practitioners of all levels, as well as those for whom this approach is new. This is a book that I will refer to time and time again to deepen my work with my clients.

Dale Schwarz, coach and co-author of Facilitative Coaching: A toolkit for expanding your repertoire and achieving lasting results.
Format: Hardcover
Doug Silsbee's new book is a rare achievement: it's both a conversation about the role of presence in creating the outcomes of coaching, and a meta-conversation that invites you to discover how present you are in this moment, and what impact your presence has on your ability to enter into new possibilities and take effective action. The quality of Silsbee's own presence is palpable on the page. He creates an environment of dialogue and relationship with the reader that models what coaching is all about.

Presence-Based Coaching is deeply grounded in Silsbee's own work in coaching, somatics and spiritual practice. It is filled with practices and exercises that the reader can try, as well as masterful examples of coaching that clearly differentiate the outcomes of presence-based coaching from the outcomes of traditional coaching. If you are looking to develop a deeper and more impactful approach to coaching, and are game to accept Silsbee's invitation to engage on the journey into presence, then this book is for you.
Format: Hardcover
Yes...we are all wanting to meet our commitments and we are detracted by certain habits that get in our way of all that's possible.....Yes... we all want more presence when it leads to more aliveness, more ability to self-generate and more readily and skillfully meeting our commitments. The question is always how one specifically does that---Presence Based Coaching is a deep engagement and exploration into presence and what it means for some of these wants. Reading and experiencing Presence-Based-Coaching is a wonderful invitation to a journey with practices, distinctions and a vision of living more deeply and having a larger capacity that's anchored in presence. With this in place, it becomes possible to more fully meet one's chosen commitments. Through the book there are many discoveries of how to specifically open to more possibility and capacity through the mind, body and heart. Reading the book is like a personal coaching session with a master who has dedicated his attention, care, heart and spirit in cultivating and offering a deep sensibility of a way of being that supports and holds one's self and others as deeply generative.

In the beginning, there is a bold and grounded claim that reading and experiencing the practices and experiments in the book will lead you to being a different person. This book delivers on this and much more. In my work as a coach, facilitator, leader, mentor and supervisor this book has informed who I am and what my offer is in relation to my presence and the moves and practices that I offer to support other people's presence and practices towards what others care about. The anchoring in presence along with many practical tools and distinctions has deepened my love of the practice of coaching and cultivating deep presence. Supporting others fuller contribution and capacities is a deep practice that warrants the deepest place within us and the most refined and useful developmental tools. This book is a wonderful gift and a promise towards that end. I absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend this book and wish others a discovery that deeply serves them. This book is sure to touch your own practice of presence and possibility.
Format: Hardcover
Doug Silsbee's new book Presence-Based Coaching breaks important new ground - not only for coaches, but also for leaders, facilitators and consultants. Doug moves beyond basics to share the wisdom and techniques that sustain his reputation as a leading coach whose clients achieve lasting results. As a peer, student and former client, I can attest to the power of his work. Now I can use this book to more skillfully apply presence-based principles to my own continuing development and to my work with my clients.
This book offers a well-crafted combination of practical tools and core concepts. It clearly outlines how people develop though self-observation, realization, reorganization and stabilization. Within that context, Doug distinguishes how coaches and leaders must first do their own inner work to be able to powerfully and authentically guide the growth of others. He provides examples, exercises, stories and suggested practices to guide the cultivation of presence in mind, body and heart. From that strong grounding, he illustrates specifically how to work with others in relationships that support personal transformation and skillful action that makes a real difference in the world. This is an important guide for anyone who wants to masterfully guide professional and personal development.
on December 13, 2008
Format: Hardcover
Doug Silsbee maps the territory of presence-based coaching and leadership with extraordinary rigor and nuance. Business educators will be intrigued by these insights into learning and practice, acquired in the crucible of the coach-client relationship.

Silsbee's approach is profoundly experiential and practical. Of special interest is Silsbee's model of self-generation, which is essential for the resilience leaders and for coaches depend on to not only do their work but renew and grow over time. Making the model concrete and actionable are numerous stories, exercises and practices, designed to move Silsbee's ideas off of the page and into the minds and lives of his readers.
on May 16, 2010
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I'm in an intensive training program (Denslow Brown's Coach Approach) to become an Organizer Coach. My practicum class is studying Silsbee's Presence-Based Coaching together. This book is so helpful. Silsbee articulates how and why every coach (or person who helps develop others, i.e., any supervisor) needs to focus on self-generation (building one's own skills, knowledge, abilities, awareness, etc.) as an essential matter. The book is well-written, well-organized, and I love it.
on November 21, 2008
Format: Hardcover
In his new book, Presence-Based Coaching, author Doug Silsbee goes beyond philosophical principles and provides a practical guide to tapping into the innate ability all people possess to be fully present in whatever are doing. Silsbee claims that "It is through practice that we become different people, capable of responding to inevitable difficulties in new and creative and resourceful ways." This ability, he says, provides both the promise and the imperative for developing presence as an essential aspect of leadership.

The key, of course, is practicing the right thing in the right way. The book offers numerous reflective exercises and concrete practices that Silsbee has designed to help people increase their ability to draw on presence spontaneously when needed. The practices strengthen what he calls the "muscle of awareness" that is essential in order to be fully present in coaching others.

Silsbee takes a broad developmental view, and grounds it in a pragmatic vision of how coaches can greatly accelerate the development of the very leaders that we need in these challenging times. "The central challenge in development is to move beyond an identity that no longer serves us," he says. "Development is about engaging intentionally in the business of transcending an existing definition of our identity in order to literally conceive of ourselves in a different, new sense. We learn to loosen the grip of our conditioned way of being - our habits, stories, ways of interpreting the world, and customary response - in order to act consistently with new and more generative commitments."

One of the important distinctions in Silsbee's approach is his emphasis on leaders preparing for future challenges, not merely coping with the crisis of the moment using the same old set of time-worn tools. "We can choose to live with a less desperate focus on achieving competence for current circumstances and a greater explicit commitment to our growth, change and evolution," he says.

But that's only half the story of this book. Silsbee also illustrates at length how to apply presence in the practice of coaching. Importantly, this book offers less of a philosophical perspective, and more of a pragmatic approach for people in the business of developing leaders through coaching. To Silsbee, presence is "focused on practical ways to self-regulate our inner state so we are as effective and available as possible for other people." In keeping with the book's emphasis on the practical application of core principles, Silsbee also includes numerous coaching dialogues and scenarios from real business situations; they are laced with revealing commentary that illuminates how to put his innovative ideas into practice.

In the final analysis, Silsbee's approach to coaching is not about fixing people. Rather, Presence-Based Coaching offers a robust and inclusive developmental alternative to the traditional approach to business coaching relationships. It shines a beacon that illuminates the path for people to shape their leadership with clarity, compassion and conviction.