5.0 out of 5 stars Forget kids' version - get this one!
Published on November 25, 2005 by A. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game ruined by cheap board
This is an awesome board game. I loved it as a kid, and my 6yo loves it now. I thought it'd be too sophisticated for him, and his enthusiasm surprised me.

Published on December 11, 2011 by Aleksandar Totic

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget kids' version - get this one!, November 25, 2005
A. Smith (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
I've had the original Mastermind for about 30 years, and it's a great way to hone logic skills. My 5-year-old recently got Mastermind for Kids as a gift, and I was disappointed. I guess it's "cute" to make the game look like a bowl of Lucky Charms or something, but in the kids' version there are NO PEGS - the pieces get scattered everywhere, ruining the game, with one false move. Tedious and very frustrating, especially for little ones. The kids' version is a bit simpler as it allows for only three combinations, not four like the original; BUT you can just as easily decide to do the same with the original version anyway. GET THE ORIGINAL, IT's GREAT!

5.0 out of 5 stars "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master", February 14, 2001
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
that is the sales pitch barely legible still on the well-worn box that my copy of mastermind came in. i honestly cannot remember when i first learned to play this intriguing game, only that i am very grateful for the amazing woman who gave it to me. i still have the original box, becuase i plan on one day passing down this game to my children & their children. this wonderful toy is simple in design yet fosters critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and creativity without inherintly emphasizing competitiveness. i grew up playing it with my dad & it was something that inspired me to excell; we enjoyed one another's accomplishments (either one coming up with an "unbreakable" code, or the other being able to solve it) and didn't feel that one could only win at the expense of the other.
also, i recently saw a version made out of wood; so perhaps a few adjustments to the design could increase the durability factor (though my little plastic version has lasted 15+ years! & i simply put the pegs in zipper bags to keep them from getting lost)
~enjoy~

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game ruined by cheap board, December 11, 2011
Aleksandar Totic (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)

I would not recommend that you purchase this version of it. The original edition from the 70's is much better designed, and more fun to play. You can get it on EBay for about the same price. The new version has fatal flaws that interfere with enjoyment of the game:

- The peg compartment it too small to contain all the pegs. This means that you have to keep the original cardboard box around to hold the extra pegs.
- After the game, you'll often have trouble closing the peg compartment, because pegs have slipped between the lid and board. You have to empty out all the pegs to get the stray peg out.
- Color pegs fit loosely. A small bump to the board will dislodge the pegs.
- The colors are off. I find it much harder to think about Pink, Teal, and Orange, than the original game colors. And red and white pegs for scoring do not have the mental clarity of original black & white.
- Everything about the game feels cheap, they probably shaved their production costs from $3 to $2.25 by using only the cheapest materials available.

Do yourself a favor, and get the original version off Ebay, or a garage sale.

Many toys are built much flimsier than they used to be. I've love playing my vintage editions of Risk & Monopoly. There is just something about holding a nicely designed piece in your hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars I owe my mind to this game, May 17, 2002
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
Like many other reviewers, I grew up on this game. The logic skills that this game teaches are invaluable. I would even dare say that I feel like I owe some of the skills I employ daily in school to the stratagies this game requires.
I worked at a toy store for a while. Everyone who asked me to suggest an eduactional game was taken directly to this classic.
My only gripe with this new version is the peg compartment. It is completely useless, and I am inclined (as other reviewers) to suggest keeping the pegs in one or two ziplock bags. The compartment is too small to close with all the pegs inside. And the seperator doesn't hold up to its purpose, the small and large pegs inevidably get mixed up. But, it is nice to have all the pegs available when playing. Just don't count on the compartment to keep the pegs from ending up all over the inside of the box everytime you dig the game out of the closet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Logic & Intelligence..., November 9, 1999
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
This game is the best logic IQ indicator I've ever encountered and, considering it is a hobby of mine, I have encountered a good deal. It is art in simplicity. Not so ''durable'' because of the very very small parts. Almost everyone I know loves this game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game - poorly made, October 15, 2010
M. J. Figurski (Philadelphia, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
I've been playing the Mastermind game as a kid and I liked it a lot. I was excited to offer the same to my children. However, this particular edition turned out to be very poorly made. The plastic is ugly and cheap - doesn't even have consistent color throughout the board. Some of the small pegs are too thick to put them into the holes, some other are loose, most are too hard to pull out for my kids. Colors of the big pegs are dull and are hard to distinguish from one another in ambient light.

Returned to store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a while..., March 1, 2000
By A Customer
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
Mastermind is a classic game, and I still play the occasional game even after having owned it for 15+ years. The premise and rules are simple, so it is easy to learn how to play. But that simplicity works against it in the long run- most of the time, I slip into the same optimum strategy and inevitably break the code. Since the game lends itself to this mechanical play, I can't give it more than 3 stars for fun. Before you find the strategy that works best, though (or, if you don't mind applying the same strategy over and over again) the game is great fun.
Common durability problems among the several sets that I've owned include lost color pegs and broken password covers- of course, improvising solutions to these can add to the fun factor ;-/
The toy is excellent educationally. The game stands out for encouraging the codebreaker to apply rigorous thought to potential solutions. I remember busting my brain over this game as a kid. The mix of logic and creativity necessary to come up with satisfactory solutions make it a great game for budding minds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a game that spans generations, May 11, 2005
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
This game has such a wide range of age appropriateness. I started playing it against my parents when I was in my early teens, and we loved it. My younger sister, probably seven or so, was jealous of how much we loved the game and taught herself the rules through observation. Soon she was able to beat the rest of us at our own game! If someone is interested in the kind of logic and systematic deductive approach required to play Mastermind, it can be enjoying by someone of any age.

I would recommend this game for people who have grown out of simpler games such as Connect Four.

This is a great game for grandparents to play with younger people, because the older person doesn't have to "dumb down" their technique to play a kids game. It exercises your brain without having any overt educational tone. Everyone can benefit from some good Mastermind strategy practice!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and intelligent game, August 6, 2003
Y. Leventhal (Oak Hill, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
We recently started playing this game and my 5 year old loves it. It is a simple game and one through which one can learn a lot. We played with an older set until recently when we bought the new design (featured on this page). I have several complaints about this new and improved design: It has a storage compartment, but it is not so well designed. With only half of the pieces in the storage compartment, its lid takes a while to close. The key pegs fit too tightly into the holes and the pegs are harder to put in and take out than the older (and more simple and plain) set. But, this set does come with over 100 pegs, which is very convenient.
Despite my complaints, this game is worth getting for what one gets out of it: it is not just fun--it is an intelligent game of logic and deductive reasoning.

1.0 out of 5 stars new and cheap version, December 6, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mastermind (Toy)
I had Mastermind as a child and loved it. For our wedding, we registered for this - the new version.

The box is CHEAP - it will fall apart very easily. It is also way too big for what is included inside.

The plastic board is also cheap, and the wall between the two types of pegs does not keep the pegs from mixing, so you end up picking the different pegs out of the other slot - time consuming! Plus, the trays are so poorly constructed that it is almost impossible to close the lid without getting pegs stuck so that it can't close.

They should have just used the same construction as the old sets, and they'd have been much better off.

Mastermind