5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a peg makes.
Published on September 24, 2012 by TheBest4Less

3.0 out of 5 stars A good version, but we miss the regular Mastermind.
I had the standard blue Mastermind for quite some time, but since four colors didn't seem that much of a challenge anymore for my sister and I, we decided to upgrade to Ultimate Mastermind. While not that much of a difference in price, we decided to sell the regular Mastermind version to help fund this version.
Though Ultimate Mastermind is certainly more fun since...
Published on October 19, 2011 by romevi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A good version, but we miss the regular Mastermind., October 19, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
Though Ultimate Mastermind is certainly more fun since it adds more colors, we do miss the regular version.

Firstly, the compartment to store the pegs is oddly constructed. Instead of opening out, it opens in, meaning that the hood obstructs the view of the pegs on the board during gameplay, so the codebreaker will constantly have to open and close the hood when getting more pegs to use. Also, the compartments still do not keep the clue pegs and gameplay pegs from mixing with each other. We constantly have to separate the red and white clue pegs from the rest before each session.

Lastly, while the thumbtack iteration of these pegs seem like they'll grab better than the original round ones, they don't make that much of a difference. They're *slightly* easier to grab, but not that much if you have bigger fingers.

My suggestions to improve this game would be to make the pegs slightly larger for easier grabbing, and eliminate the handle to make better room for the hood of the peg compartment, making it open out and not obstructing gameplay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another example of how quality is getting worse, September 7, 2012
Edward D. Collins (Southern California) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Wow, am I disappointed.

I'm a big Mastermind fan. I've been playing this game since the mid '70s, when the game first took off here in the United States. I own several different versions of the game. (Regular Mastermind, Improved Mastermind, Super Mastermind, all by Invicta, Advanced Mastermind by Pressman, etc., etc.)

This version here is by far the worst of all the versions I've seen. It's terrible. I bought it just to have a copy of it, to complete my collection, and now I regret doing so.

The plastic is lightweight and "cheap."

The board is quite small... it's just about 2/3s the length of the Super Mastermind board sold in the '70s.

The code pegs are tiny... about half the size of the code peg from the earlier versions.

The score indicator goes up to just 10. Compare this to 71 from the earlier versions!

I suppose the built-in handle is a new feature, but if you keep the game stored in the box, you aren't using the handle anyway. And when using the handle, the feedback pegs and the code pegs get mixed up... the compartment that holds each of the pegs spill into one another!

Good things: The rules ARE in color and include examples of how to score. That's an improvement, since I know the rules from the early versions didn't include examples. But that's about it.

Overall, it's a terrible product. I say that not to be mean or to belittle the company, but because it's the truth. The older sets are much, MUCH nicer to use and play a game on.

I consider this product just another example of products that seem to get worse over time. I'm sure it's MUCH cheaper for the company to make and produce this version than it was to make and produce the older versions, but it's also a much cheaper product as a result.

If you want a Mastermind game that supports 5 holes and 8 colors (Often called Super Mastermind) then go online to eBay and purchase a used set, which are readily available, probably for less than the cost of this new version. This version is made by Pressman, and even Pressman themselves made a product called Advanced Mastermind, that is much better than this version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor version, December 9, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
I seen this at a local gamestore and had visions of my middle school days of playing the original Mastermind so I picked this version up. While it ups the challenge of trying to decode 5 colors instead of 4, the design of the actual game isn't the greatest. The compartment that holds the color code pegs and the red/white key pegs mix together since the divider doesn't go all the way to the top of the compartment when closed, so if you use the handle to carry your game it becomes a mess, also the door on the compartment covers part of the playfield when open so you constantly have to shut it after you get the pegs you want. They could've just had trays on both sides of the game that slide underneath the main board to fix that problem. The pieces are also a problem, while the color code pegs work alright for my hands the key pegs are very thin and annoying to grab. I wonder how long they tested this product before bringing it out on the market??

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a peg makes., September 24, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
I've been playing standard Mastermind for years and it's one of my favorite games - especially if you don't have a lot of time and just want a quick challenge. But I needed just a bit more of a challenge, without impacting my time allotment. This Mastermind does that. I would advise anyone who has never played Mastermind, to get the basic edition first - just to learn the game. Even the basic game is still fun after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect game, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
Good old mastermind of my childhood in a well designed shape, immediately became a gift for my kids. Perfect for kids, adults and couples...

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
We have a good time playing this! Great for logic building and exercising the brain. The only negative is that the game has a ton of little pieces that you have to keep track of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, interesting game, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
Scratches rust off your brain. I like the 5 pin version as it is more challenging. Good for all those days when the kids nag that you don't play with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite game!, November 28, 2012
Angela Voss (Viroqua, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
This is our families favorite game. This year I am purchasing one for my niece and another for my daughter, who is away at college, and has mentioned wishing she had this game with her. Can't wait for Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars thinking fun, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
It offers thinking fun. It makes you or your children more comparable. It is adequate to think all possibilities for situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate mastermind, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Mastermind (Toy)
I liked the game and it came as expected on time. I will use this company in the future. I like the game because it uses your mind so you don't become lazy. Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›