Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Presto 01362 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Size: 6 qtColor: SilverChange
Price:$51.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 13, 2006
I bought this cooker 6 months ago from amazon for $35, and frankly, although the reviews I read on this product all said that it's great, I was very skeptical about the $35 price tag and was not expecting much. On top of that, both my mother and my mother-in-law warned me that cheap pressure cookers are dangerous, and I *must* buy something more expensive for safety reasons. I am just very glad that they were both wrong!

This is definitely one of the best purchases I have made on amazon. I still cannot believe they sell this for $35! The pot does not feel cheap at all. It has very sturdy handles, and a thick, heavy bottom, which holds in heat well. I like this pan so much that sometimes I use it instead of my skillet to sautee meat, because of the deeper pot + the cover, less cleaning up for me :-)

I love making soup and stock, but it usually takes up so much of my time when the stock is simmering. With this pressure cooker, I can make a meat-fall-off-the-bone soup in an hour!

Some might find this pot to be a little on the small side, but this pot works great for my wife and I. Although we have guests over regularly, I find the capacity of the pot to be very good. I would guess that this pot would work well for up to a 4-person family.

Pros:

=====

- Cheap, at $35, it's hard to beat

- Sturdy, I was afraid that the plastic handles would break easily, but they are in fact quite strong

- Stainless steel makes it great for browning meat pieces for stew or stock, and it heats up fast and holds heat well.

- Safe, you cannot open it when it's pressurized.

- Dish washer safe, though I prefer to wash it by hand.

Cons:

=====

- The handle can be tricky to hold with one hand. My hands are small, and when you've closed the top, the handle is kind of big. Luckily, I don't need to do this very often, and when I need to move it around, I just use both handles.

- The top cap can be tricky to clean. I usually soak it in hot soapy water, and then clean it thoroughly with Q-tip.

Watch outs:

===========

- The handle curves in a way that it catches any dripping liquid, I've hurt myself once when I wasn't careful at opening the cover.

- Do *NOT* remove the cap while it's blowing! The steam from inside is extremely hot and as soon as you remove the cap, the hot steam will shoot up faster than you can move your hand(s) away.

Tips:

=====

- I keep some water bottles in my freezer, and when I need to cool this off in a hurry, I can make a bath of cold water in my sink, put the hot pot inside, and throw the froze water bottles in. This usually cools it down very fast, great when I want to refrigerate it overnight to skim off the fat, and didn't want to wait too long for it to cool down.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2007
This is an excellent pressure cooker. I also have the 8-quart stainless steel model by Presto and I don't like that one as much as this one. I like the little rocker on top better because I know exactly how much pressure it has. It is super easy to carry this extremely lightweight pressure cooker to the sink, run water over it, and in 5-10 seconds the pressure is down! It is not heavy or hot. You just have to be careful when you do this. I actually prefer this method of quick cooling to the method used in the 8-quart, which is to open the little weight and let the steam shoot out the top. That method takes about a minute, plus there's steam all over the place. That seems more dangerous to me than going to the sink.

This model is a smaller version of the 6-quart, so if you think this one is too small, that one would work for a family. This size is just right for one or two people. I always make very small quantities of food in it anyway as I don't like to have a lot of leftovers.

Cleanup with this product is very fast and easy as it is so lightweight. Another nice thing is that replacement parts are very easy to obtain (rubber gasket and overpressure plug).

I highly recommend this pressure cooker and the 6-quart stainless steel model as well.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 29, 2012
Most of the 5 star review you will see in Amazon are from 2006 - 6 year back.
I purchased this item on May 3rd 2012 and it is delivered to us by May 4th 2012. This is our first presto cooker / stainless steel cooker. There is rust all over the lid. in the edges ( see pictures in amazon) , near the steam vent . the screws at handle. all this in just 2 and half months (75 days). I called up Amazon - their warranty expired on 30 days. now i have to deal with presto...i will update more about my experience.

I am pretty much sure that quality has deteriorated over period of time. Very Poor......

Update : After trying cleaning and other tricks. finally Called Up presto . They won't take the item back or give a replacement . instead - they send me screws , stating that the body will never get rust because it is pure stainless steel. I tried to open the screws but it did not work , because screws were badly rusted and slipped on philips screw driver.
I called up again and this time they are ready to give me a Prepaid UPS Label. I have send the item to them , yet to hear from them.

Update (02/20/2013) : Ok , i got the pressure cooker back from Presto couple days back , they changed the handle and screws. I could not find any rust or stain anywhere ( so i will give 3 stars , increase in 2) . I guess the problem was the LOW QUALITY screws. The screws were so bad that the rust stained over the body and edges .It was difficult to figure out whether the body got rust or not. Whatever Poor Quality of Screws created all this mess. I will post new picture soon , i think the OVERALL QUALITY OF STAINLESS STEEL IS GOOD. If you complain to presto they will send you better quality of screws . If you delay on those screws then the threads will wear off and then it will be impossible to change them. Just want to add one more point . I use this cooker everyday , so i will wait and see how these screws performs.

Update (02/01/2014) : Here is the update - i think i was too late on the first screws and what happened is even after replacing with stainless steel screws the lid will keep getting rust and i ran out of patience and finally i gave up. Just want to add - it's the lid which keep getting the rust ( near the pressure valve and handle screws) . The body is still intact and has no rust. I no longer use this to pressure cook.

I am considering 2 options
1) to buy presto from store like KOHLS ( just because they have awesome return policy - [Return any item, anytime, for any reason.]
2) to buy Hawkins Pressure cooker - [...]
review image review image review image
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2003
This is nothing fancy, but it works wery well. Replacemenat parts are easy to buy. You can't open it if it's under pressure because it has a lock by the handle (safety feature). Actually I think it's very safe as it has other features as well.
I think one of the most important things to look for is what it's made of (after safety of course!). This is stainless steel which is good because you don't want aluminum (aluminum will stain and get eaten away with acidic food such as vinegar or lemon juice...).
Another thing to consider is that it takes time to heat up and cool down so even though all pressure cookers say it takes a lot less time to cook, they don't take the heat-up cool-down time into consideration, even though they are correct about the actual cooking time.

Good pressure cooker.

In 2007, I bought a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker and I'm even more pleased with that.
It's quite a bit more expensive (4-7 times?) but a *lot* quieter as it relies on an internal spring to maintain pressure as opposed to gravity for the Presto. The Kuhn-Rikon also allows less water to escape. I keep both of them but I haven't used the presto for 4 months now. Considering I bought the Presto in 1999, it's amazing that it works perfectly even though it got heavy use. I even put the rubber seal and the lid in the dishwasher every time and it still held up. It's my backup cooker now as I can't let go of something that still works fine.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2006
I own three pressure cookers, I reach for this one the most. I use the bowl within the pot method to cook brown rice (I am too lazy to clean, this allows storage of the rice directly into the fridge.) After cooking brown rice in a pressure cooker, don't know how people have the time to wait around for a rice cooker. I like the audible rocking noise it makes, this way I know pressure is being maintained when I cook. I make mostly beans and brown rice, I cook for one and the bowl method allows me to have rice all week (using the 4qt Presto) I like this one best out of all three, because it seems not to clog like the others.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My mother bought me this nearly exact cooker many years ago, and it got lost in a move about 5 years ago. I just now replaced it. I had used my old one for about 7 years and it was fine. No problems with my old one with the stainless steel either.

I got this NEW one today, and washed it and peeled about 3-4 lbs potatoes and sliced 3/4 in thick, and added 2 cups water, two tbsp dried onion flakes, pepper, and garlic powder. 16 minutes later, drained the water off and used my handy dandy mixer and had the best creamiest fluffiest mashed potatoes ever. I DON'T KNOW HOW I GOT ALONG WITHOUT IT THESE PAST FIVE YEARS!! I CAN'T WAIT TO USE IT OFTEN!!

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Inexpensive,

functions very well,

looks nice,

parts easy to order, (Walmart sells parts for it I heard)

easy to clean,

has two handles,

AAA+++ for price and function.

eta: I HAVE NOW HAD THIS PRESSURE COOKER FOR ALMOST 6 YEARS, IT IS STILL LIKE NEW, WORKS GREAT, NO PROBLEMS, I USE IT TWO TO THREE TIMES A WEEK. IT WAS AND STILL IS A GREAT COOKER. I COULD NOT GET ALONG WITHOUT IT.

UPDATE 9.9.14. OKAY, now it is late 2014. I have used it 3 to 4 x a week since I purchased. I cook pinto beans a lot, as well as other things. Even though it is stainless steel, it did get a sort of a bronze stain 2/3 up the side of pot. As well as the bottom of the inside. I did not want to use a brillo type pad on it so as not to mar the surface. But one day, I had the sodium hydroxide OVEN cleaner spray can on the counter. SO, feeling bold, I sprayed a nice coating all over the inside. I came back in a half hour, and washed the pot. IT WAS LIKE NEW!!! All the stain was gone and my pressure cooker looked clean and shiny. I do have a few scrape marks on inside bottom from metal spoons but they cause no issues. I polished most off with 000 steel wool I bought at hardware store. My cooker once again looks new.
I also notice the price has gone up considerably since I purchased mine. I bought mine on sale for $34.99. I have not had to replace the rubber gasket either. I wash it immediately and hang it on a cuphook to dry. Never put the gasket into the cooker until you are ready to cook with it. Never for storage. Mama taught me this....
on October 23, 2007
Tips from many years of using pressure cookers in our family:

1. Hand wash - dishwashers tend to dry out sealing rings and make handles brittle. They become expensive to replace, and these parts are sometimes hard to find

2. I take a paper towel and wipe sealing ring with canola oil, after cleaning. Keeps rubber from drying out.

3. Never open pot while still steaming (contents will explode). Let steam decompress until no sound and no steam comes out when regulator is removed. My grandmother depressurized steam sooner by setting pot carefully in plugged shallow sink of water and making sure steam dissipated. (sound/regulator) before opening. (Disclaimer - I advise anyone against doing this, I am just stating an historical fact. Do not transport a hot pot, especially pressurized; extremely dangerous-what if you dropped it:O).

4. Do not overload beans (even pre-soaked) in pressure cooker.

5. I buy meats/poultry/seafood in bulk, wash, season and put in zip lock bags, and toss into freezer. When ready to cook, I put in pressure cooker (still frozen solid) with a small amount of water/broth (8 oz or less is fine for me, gravy-wise) and let cook for 40 minutes (or less) on mid to low heat. Frozen and tough cuts are soon ready to eat and are tender like butter.
on September 18, 2004
This is a no-frills pressure cooker. It could be a little bigger, but it does the job very well.

When 'boiling' food in a traditional pot, the food cannot exceed 212 degrees F (the temperature at which water boils). Under pressure, the boiling point rises... in this pressure cooker to about 250 degrees F. This means, of course, that food cooks faster (the reason people normally think to buy a pressure cooker), but the higher temperature also allows other 'reactions' to take place while cooking... For instance, the tougher fibers in meat will convert to gelatin, making the meat more tender. As a result, pressure cookers are great for braised dishes with tough meats, such as chili. For these purposes, this pressure cooker rocks.

Larger pressure cookers can also be used for canning (because the higher temperatures can kill more bad things. This pressure cooker really is not large enough for this task. If you are not a canner though, compare the prices of this against those larger models... I think you will be back looking at this one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2007
Get the Presto. They're all the same. It's a simple design, a pot and lid. I've been using them for 20 years and the expensive ones are no better than the Presto- Only an amateur cook would believe different. The Prestos cook just as good and just as fast as the Rikons. My kitchen is filled with the best and most expensive equipment money can buy, but when it comes to pressure cookers, it's not like other cookware where you "get what you pay for." They're all the same (although I don't recommend the electric ones as they have a tendency to break down). Save your money for the good espresso maker... don't waste it on expensive pressure cookers. Get the Presto.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2006
Oh,how I wish I hadn't waited so long to try Pressure Cooking! My mother instilled so much fear in me about using a pressure cooker that I didn't even want to try it until a friend finally convinced me. Now I'd absolutely hate to be without this fast and safe way to cook.

My first experiment was a recipe for Chicken Cacciatore. Three pounds of chicken cooked for 10 minutes (at 6000' altitude) and was fork-tender and delicious. My next endeavor was a ham and bean soup, which cooked for 35 minutes without having to presoak the beans, and it turned out perfectly. Beans were completely cooked but not mushy. Next came a pot roast with potatoes, which cooked for 45 minutes starting partially frozen, and was perfect. Then tried a chicken with plum sauce--again a nine-minute success. Most recently we tried pasta with meat sauce, which was a delicious one-pot meal ready in 7 minutes cooking time.

I love this Presto model cooker, because it has all the safety features, but still allows careful monitoring of the"jiggle top", and allows me to judge how fast the dish is cooking. This is a heavy and well-built unit. The safety precautions are easy, and are fully described in the accompanying manual.

I also recommmend Lorna Sass' book "Pressure Perfect", for beginners. This book is a well-written primer on pressure cooking, with recipes that are reliable and carefully written. The recipes have a degree of creativity, but are all things that "real people" eat.

Happy cooking!