1,176 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars No-frills timer does the job
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:51 Mins
Pros:
- inexpensive
- loud-ish alarm
- simple
- AAA battery
- strong magnet on back

Cons:
- 1hr 39min is the longest time that can be set
- not the highest build quality
- only one timer
- how durable will it be??

This is a no-frills kitchen timer. It hits the...
Published on November 16, 2010 by J. Cullen

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice, Weak Magnet
Got the Presto Timer after buying a Sunbeam timer at the local store.
The Presto Timer looks nice, has a nice screen and the key layout is all right.
Published on January 4, 2005 by NovaLamp

4.0 out of 5 stars No-frills timer does the job, November 16, 2010
Length:: 1:51 Mins

Pros:
- inexpensive
- loud-ish alarm
- simple
- AAA battery
- strong magnet on back

Cons:
- 1hr 39min is the longest time that can be set
- not the highest build quality
- only one timer
- how durable will it be??

This is a no-frills kitchen timer. It hits the essential points and a good price point. Most importantly the alarm is loud enough that you can hear it from another room. I also like the fact that the magnet on the back is larger than most and has good staying power on the fridge. My last time would slide down the fridge.

I do wish it could time longer periods than 1 hr 40 min. This makes it not usable for slow cook recipes.

The build quality isn't great. The display does flicker if you push the buttons firmly. I don't know how long it will last, but I will put it to the test. I got it mostly so my kids can time themselves for cleanup time. It will be abused for sure!

As another reviewer mentioned it does "beep" each time a button is pushed, but my previous timer also did this. I don't find it annoying.

If you found this review helpful, let me know with your vote. :)

UPDATE: It has been over 3 years since I first wrote this review. The timer has been dropped, squashed and otherwise used and abused by three kids. IT IS STILL KICKING. We lost the battery cover a while back, but the batteries stay in pretty well even without the cover. I can recommend it even more than before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost without it !, January 19, 2003
I have had a Presto timer for over 6 years, and I truly would be lost without it. It not only functions as a kitchen timer, but it serves as an alarm clock. Living in Indiana where we get weather that often knock's out our power... we have set it 8 hours ahead to wake us for work. It beeps for a full minute which I love. And you can set it up to 24 hours.
I am getting a new one (mine is still fine, but I don't want to take a chance that they will quit making them...ha ha) and I am getting one for my daughter in law. AND it runs on 1AA battery!
P. David

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timer with Character, May 9, 2006
This is a great timer with a few minor flaws, none of which seriously detract from its usefulness. On the up side:

- Four countdown timers
- Loud beeper
- One count-up timer
- Reliable (we use them daily for homeschool)

On the down side:

- The magnet on the back falls off eventually (we rip it off since we don't need it)
- The metal piece for the stand pushes through the plastic in the back of the case over time, potentially causing trouble. I use a rubber eraser instead.
- Switching back to the clock when Timer 1 is stopped causes Timer 1 to be reset to zero (most of the time you'll let the timer run out and never encounter this)

Update 1/10/2009: Almost 3 years later, these things still work fine. Even after having been thrown across the room by temperamental teenagers. In fact I bought 2 extras "just in case" and haven't had to use them at all. As other reviewers have pointed out, the buttons do wear out with heavy use and become less responsive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent timer, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer (Kitchen)
This is my first digital kitchen timer. I have used a mechanical timer made by Sunbeam but it broke after only a year or so of use. Compare to the mechanical timer, I like this far more.
It's made in China and the quality of the plastic and the built are better than you'd find in other products made in China, but not to the level of Japanese electronics or ipod. For me, it's very acceptable.
The dimension described in the product features, detail is wrong. It's not even the size of the package but close except the thickness. Actual dimensions are (17mm x 56mm x 67mm), and it's quite easily pocketable.
It has a magnet for keeping on the refrigerator door and paper clip that also function as a stand. When you open the clip half way, it opens wide enough for a paper or a card. When you open it all the way, small metal piece drops between the body and the clip to keep it open as a stand. When flip it upside down and open the clip all the way again, metal piece retract again. The clip also covers the battery compartment when it's closed. If anything gives you an impression that this is a cheaply made gadget, the battery cover will be it.
Operation is easy enough that you can skip the instruction. It has a minute button and a second button and the number only goes up, not down. Push both to clear the number. When the count down ends and the alarm kicks in, it sets the same numbers you put in before. If you want to start a new time, clear the display first then set the new time. It doesn't have on-off switch. I'm planning to use rechargeable battery, so this is not a problem for me.
The alarm makes 4 short beeps about every second and goes for about 30 seconds. It's loud enough in my pocket and that's the way I use it. Since it's small enough, there's no excuse leaving it in the kitchen.
This is a timer with simplest function for the cheapest price. If you need more functions, this is probably not a good choice. If you are used to mechanical timer, this will give you more than you need.

Highly recommended.

*update*(Jan-18-10)
I found that the timer won't work with rechargeable battery. It still uses the original battery came with it, so I'll post when it runs out. I use it several times every day.

*update*(11-30-10)
I accidentally threw the timer in the washer and it had died. Keeping it in the pocket wasn't such a good idea after all. The original battery came with the timer was working up until today, so I didn't see the end of it. The battery wasn't even alkaline, but so called Heavy Duty type. Alkaline AAA should last for a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Presto 04212 timer beats Taylor, Fagor but not Taylor 5828, January 10, 2007
Cato (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This is a better timer than the otherwise excellent Taylor timer and, certainly, the awful Fagor timer. It has a clock that shows time, day, and date and 4 separate timer functions. All timer functions can time up, in ascending order, like a stopwatch. They can time down to zero and buzz like a traditional timer. Three of the timer functions have memories, so if you want to set one timer to ring on, say, fifteen minute intervals, it can save that time setting. The alarm is loud enough to hear but neither so loud or long that it is overly annoying. Timer and clock are independent, so that after timer is set, display can be reset to show the clock while the timer(s) are still working.
Mechanically, the buttons have worked well for three months of ownership, the magnets are still attached, and nothing has broken off or fallen off.

The four timers and the calendar on the clock function make it better than the otherwise excellent Taylor clock/timer (one timer, no calendar on the clock) available for about the same price under $10 on Amazon or Yahoo and certainly a better buy than the astonisingly awful and overpriced Fagor, quoted at $25 at the time of this review.

update: August 2008. After about 8 months, the buttons on this timer got very "sticky" and sometimes required pressing four or five times to activate functions. In response to an email, Presto was fast to suggest its return, but I never got around to it. My Taylor timers, with less functionality, continue to work well.

update: January 2009. I finally tried to return my Presto timer. They told me warranty was expired and the best they could do was offer me a discount on their products. Contrasted to Web shopping prices, their discounted prices offered no real benefit. They were legally correct, but ungenerous, in that I had notified them of non-functionality within the 12 months and, no doubt, button-sticking is chronic problem of the timer and not just of my timer. Stickiness has progressed to point where keys are no good and the timer is unusable.

update: March 2009. Bought four Taylor 5828 timers: each has two timer buttons and a clock (with a calendar); timers can run separately and independent of clock; switch to clock with toggle switch on back. Minuses compared to Presto 04212: 04212 has four timer and you can switch, more conveniently, to the clock with button on front. Taylor 5828 is generally solid, large numbers, functional buttons. Paid less than $8 each. One timer didn't work. I notified Taylor on their website email form, asking instructions for return. They responded in 12 hours, said they would send a replacement and that I should discard the non-functional timer. All around, at this writing, the Taylor 5828 is a cheaper and better-supported product than the Presto 04212.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice, Weak Magnet, January 4, 2005
Got the Presto Timer after buying a Sunbeam timer at the local store.
The Presto Timer looks nice, has a nice screen and the key layout is all right.
Unfortunately, the magnet is real weak "i.e. cheap". Using the timer with the magnet holding it on a surface is dicey as the timer falls easily. I bought two and they both have that problem. Oh, after 1 week of use, the magnet came loose from the plastic. Drop this timer and the battery case opens and the battery flies out. At least the timer is still running!
So if you don't care about the magnet, this is a decent timer.
I will look for a timer that has a good magnet and a good layout.
OH! The magnet from my Sunbeam timer fell off. So I glued it to the Presto Timer that lost its magnet (the old Westbend Timer we had lasted over 10 years without any problems until near the end). Its too bad Presto uses such a cheap "plastic" magnet. At least I was able to improve it. Hey Presto is empowering me.
That is why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, keep it with you, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer (Kitchen)
This timer is just as described. It's easy to use, the magnet is strong and the sound is definitely loud enough. If I had to give a complaint I would say that because the timer doesn't turn off by itself the loud noise can be annoying until you make it back to the kitchen. If that's a problem, clip it to your pants and keep it with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, April 14, 2010
This review is from: Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer (Kitchen)
This is essentially a small, easy to operate timer that has a nice loud buzzer. The buzzer will continue to beep after the time is up, in approx. 2 second increments.

It seems worth noting that every time you hit a button it beeps, making its use in a somewhat quiet room a little annoying.

Also, it does not have an on/off switch. Once the batteries are in, its on.

Regardless of a few flaws, it is a good timer for the price and serves it's purpose well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it claims!, January 20, 2005
By having both a magnet back and a stand, the design is wobbly and unstable, and not easily usable with one hand. If you look at the 2nd photo which shows the stand, you will figure out why. I would have preferred for them to provide only a large/strong magnet on the back, and no stand. So that's what I did with mine: dismantled the stand, and glued on a rubber magnet on the back. In spite of this shortcoming, I could not give it fewer than 5 stars. It excels at all the features, which are considerable. The price is more than fair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little timer/clock for the $, May 23, 2005
Robert of Niagara "Robert" (Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This timer does it all...looks expensive. Looks well made compared to others. Nice and loud...hard to ignore....can probably be used as a travel countdown alarm.

I plan to buy another. Great little gift item.

I dont think there is a better deal out there.

Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer