5.0 out of 5 stars Transforms popcorn

1.0 out of 5 stars Lesser quality than my original Presto PowerPop
Published on September 23, 2008 by Buff

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforms popcorn, October 26, 2003
This review is from: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper (Kitchen)
This gadget has really hooked us on popcorn as a snack. We had been getting wonderful microwave popcorn from Yoder Popcorn (on the Web), but it got expensive. Then I noticed that they said that the Presto popper could be used with any of their bulk popcorn -- at much lower cost. What amazed us was how much better their already outstanding popcorn tasted with the Presto! And the ability to make it with the oil of our choice (we like olive oil) or no oil at all is a great bonus. Entering "presto powercup concentrator" in Google turned up a number of sources (including Amazon) for this essential insert -- we ordered ten packs to save on shipping and are sure we will use them in a reasonable time.
The size is great for us -- just about as much as a standard microwave pack per popperful. I do not see it as very feasible for more than four or maybe six people at a time, however.
While the Powercups do add to the cost, it still is cheaper than the microwave packs. Using the Yoder popcorn as an example (since the same popcorn is available either in bulk or microwave packs) and assuming that one gets 3 pops per Powercup (half of what Presto says is feasible) the cost comes out about as follows:
Premium white or yellow popcorn, 3.5 oz = $0.13
Olive oil, 0.5 oz = 0.10
Powercup = 0.08
Amoritization of popper = 0.02
Total = $0.33
By contrast, a 3.5 oz microwave pouch of the same popcorn costs $0.65 in bulk.
Actual final costs will be greater for both due to shipping charges, of course, but these do not favor one over the other.
Will O'Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely convenient, works great!, July 26, 2001
This review is from: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper (Kitchen)
I *love* this device! I experimented with it in my particular microwave and learned that the standard load of 1/3 cup of popcorn (you can use *any* kind) cooks perfectly at 3 minutes, 12 seconds. Any less than that, and some of the kernels don't pop. Any more than that and some kernels begin to burn. The directions say you can use oil inside it, but I don't, because I want the little cardboard inserts to last a long time. I empty the popcorn into a different bowl, then I melt butter in the microwave (3 tbsp. is about right), pour it over the popcorn, add salt and stir well. You can also pour anything else you want over the popcorn, like parmesan or other dried, grated cheese, or herbs and spices. The popcorn this device produces is really, really tasty. Far better than that from microwave popcorn packets, and without the horribly unhealthy trans fats they add to them, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best microwave popping device and best air popper on the mkt, August 20, 2005
Connie (Deer Creek Mesa, CO) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love popcorn and have about 4 or 5 different poppers of various types. I've also tried various homemade methods of popping corn in the microwave. None compares to this simple appliance. It's just a bowl, in which you place a special cardboard cup to hold the kernels. That all sits on a special base and you put the whole thing in the m'wave. You can use oil or not, up to you.

If you want light popcorn, especially if you want air-popped popcorn, there is no better method out there. I had a batch the other night using Jolly Time kernels and I only had 7 duds. The texture is excellent too.

The only drawback is that it's sometimes hard to find the special cups you have to use but luckily they have them here on amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest corn popper and good for 15 years, September 24, 2006
Sara Starr (El Dorado County, CA) - See all my reviews
I've used this popper for over 15 years. Now I'm buying them for friends. Note one small error in the product description--this popper pops 3 quarts of popcorn in UNDER 2 and a half mintues--2.5/not 25 minutes.

The Presto Power Pop works wonders with Orville Redenbacher popcorn. We cut calories by spraying a little Pam on the popped kernels and adding butter flavored salt.

You'll have to experiment a little with timing of your microwave. We listen to it carefully and stop the microwave the second the rate of popping slows below one second per pop. Be sure to use the concentrater in the bottom. And replace it when it gets brown. Enjoy the best and healthiest popcorn with the least trouble you can imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had mine for years!, June 7, 2006
Yahtzee! (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My mom gave me this popper several years back (I'm talking, SEVERAL, when microwaves were still a novelty) and I still use it. I normally don't leave reviews, but I'm in grad school now, without a microwave oven, and looking for an air popper and saw that some folks had not given this popper the love it deserves, so I must point out it's beauty.

Let me start by telling you that I use zero oil, so the concentrators, I bought two little bags of ten (they were a couple bucks each) and I've only ever used about three of them. As long as they're clean and dry (no oil) you can use them over and over again.

Its bowl shape allows for easy storage. Pop the concentrator disk out, dust it off, wash the bowl and dry it, store the disk back in the bowl and you can even stack other bowls inside it. Nice!

I also have to tell ya that I hate plastics--I won't drink from plastic water bottles, I don't store my food in plastic containers, etc, but this is a dry product, with very little condensation on the lid to make the popcorn soggy.

In all, I find this thing absoluetly great! It's easy to clean, lasts forever, if you get a pack or two of the disks you'll probably never run out. (I used one disk maybe 30 times)

One downside: you need to have a microwave that's above the 500 watts the little dinky ones are--if you can call your oven "medium" sized, then it will work. I had one of those low low wattage ones and it never could pop the corn.

Worth every dime. Healthy popcorn too--no oil/fats/butter etc.

Takes 2:50 in my oven--and there's never an old maid!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lesser quality than my original Presto PowerPop, September 23, 2008
Buff (Indianapolis IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper (Kitchen)
Bought this product many many years ago and it made perfect popcorn every time. The concentrator cups would last around 15 times each. In September 2008 I purchased two Presto Power Poppers as replacement for myself and my mother after our original Presto poppers developed cracks. We each use this popper about 5 times a week. Both of these new poppers got holes and scorched the concentrator cup and melted the plastic lid the first time we used it. This plastic bowl and lid is MUCH thinner than our original. It makes me very sad they have cheapened this product to the point it is no longer usable. WOULD NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER AND WILL PROBABLY RETURN THESE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Popcorn-Munching Weight Watcher's Delight, February 18, 2007
I originally bought the Power Pop because of a rave new product review in Consumer Reports, and CR was absolutely right about the Power Pop. It pops corn in the microwave fast and no oil is necessary, although I like to add a teaspoon to a tablespoon of olive oil for a little extra flavor and crunch.

My first Power Pop lasted 8 years, and I tossed it because the plastic was getting scratched and eventually a hairline fracture developed at the bottom. I've had my second one, purchased from Amazon, for 2 years.

Here are a few benefits:

1. You can make fat-free popcorn. For a Lifetime Weight Watchers member like me, Power Pop makes 9 cups of popcorn, which comes to 3 points.

2. Much lower cost than bagged popcorn (I buy mine in 50-pound sacks at Costco and store it in a metal canister).

3. Easy to clean, dishwasher-safe.

4. You can eat from the Power Pop and don't have to use another bowl (although I think pouring the popped corn into another bowl liberates more flavor).

5. The paper heat concentrators are necessary, but last at least 10 full Power Pops dry, and maybe 5 to 7 with oil. As you can see, though, they're not expensive, versus pre-packaged popcorn.

6. You can try different oils for a taste of flavor.

Power Pop has become very hard to find in brick-and-mortar stores. I've seen them occasionally in Wal-Mart, and that's the only place I can find the concentrators, although Amazon's price before shipping may be cheaper.

When I got a new microwave a couple of years ago, my Power Pop didn't work as well as it had. After some experimentation, I unscrewed the black base, and I use the Power Pop in the microwave without it. It takes almost 3 minutes to pop the full bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best snack accessory possible, February 13, 2007
mikemeg "mikemeg5" (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Until they make an automatic Chex Mix maker, this is the killer app in home snacks. (Even if they did make a Chex Mix maker, it would still be inferior just for health reasons) Dump a half cup of corn in, 3 minutes later you've got a ton of perfect non-oily popcorn. I believe you can use oil, but why bother? It comes out perfectly without. I use spray-on "butter" and popcorn salt (when I can find it), so it's a very tasty, healthy snack. Once in a while, I go nuts and pour on actual melted butter-- with a lot less guilt since I didn't cook with oil.

Highly, highly recommended-- I actually came to this page just checking to see if they still made it in case our 10-year-old model gets damaged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best on the market, But...., December 2, 2010
info shopper (Simi Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Have been using it for years. Tried different types but this is the best so far for microwave popping. I am now concerned about it being BPA free and have emailed the company to see if it is and if not, when will the make them BPA free. As you know, the heat increases the toxicity. No answer yet.

Tip: Make your own power concentrators by tracing the original to paper plates and cutting them out. Works just as well, and a whole lot cheaper!

4.0 out of 5 stars "I'll Do It My Way", September 26, 2003
Loretta J Makrancy (Hamilton, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper (Kitchen)
I've had my Presto popcorn popper for a couple of years. Yes, purchasing the powercup concentrators is an inconvenience, I just order several packs and each pack contains 8 so I still have a way to go until they run out. The GOOD thing about this popcorn maker is that I can use OLIVE OIL which is a good fat and low sodium salt (Salt Sense) because I have high blood pressure and still end up with a GREAT tasting popcorn that is really healthy and actually good for me. I pop a bowlful every morning and put it in a container and take it to work and munch on it throughout the day. I even take it to the movies (yes I have to "smuggle" it in) so that I can enjoy popcorn like everyone else, but not worry about the fat or salt content. My microwave has a "POPCORN" button on it. I put the Presto corn popper in the micro, hit the "POPCORN" button and the microwave cooks it by sensor and the popcorn comes out perfect...never scorched and with only a few old maids. This is the only corn popper that truly allows me to make popcorn "MY WAY" and always yields delicious, tender popcorn.

Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper