Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 2, 2004
As I rapidly roar toward middle-age, I have not been paying as much attention to my diet as I should. Then on my forty-something birthday, my friend gave me this Presto 05100 PowerCrisp Microwave Bacon Cooker. It was one of the best gifts I've ever received. Besides removing unhealthy grease and fat from my bacon, it actually is neater and more convenient than using a frying pan. But health, convenience and neatness be darned! The bacon tastes great! This is a great product.
11 comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2014
With Summer upon us in South Alabama -- BLT's are a staple during tomato season -- I was so tired of my tan round ridged microwave cooking tray I have used for 10 years - bacon was sticking and burning. So I started the hunt....I read the reviews on Amazon and received ours today - headed to fresh market to buy homegrown tomatoes -- Hormel Center cut bacon (the center cut fits perfect on this folded rack) and placed 8 strips on the cooker - covered with a paper-towel - cooked for 1 minutes per slice - let sit a few seconds and took off on to paper-towel to drain...but there was no grease to drain off the bacon - YES!! IT DOES reduce grease as stated by 35%...this was the great bacon and NO GREASE on the cooked slices. I poured up the grease drippings into a container to save for cooking veggies later. Trying to upload photos now...
review image review image review image review image
on March 29, 2004
I've used the Presto Microwave Bacon Cooker for several years and I never make bacon any other way anymore. It is very fast and very easy to clean up. After long-time use, and we use it several times each week, the plastic racks for the bacon tend to curve a bit from the heat and the weight of the bacon so they need to be replaced because the bacon is now longer that the plastic rack and it is harder to keep it out of the grease dripping off. But the bacon cooker is so inexpensive that we just buy a new replacement unit.
11 comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2007
Although I only eat bacon a few time a year, this is the "bomb" as a product, it is great. Put the bacon on the rack and set the microwave for about 1 minute per slice and you get perfect crunchy well drained bacon in record time. Next pour the fat out of the tray into the trash and put the whole thing in the dishwasher and it's clean and ready for the next use. Imagine your bacon is done before the toast and eggs . . .
on March 15, 2004
This Presto bacon cooker is GREAT! I have tried several in the past and was never happy with any of them. I love this one. Cooks the bacon well and clean up is wonderful. This is what I'll be giving as Christmas and wedding gifts this year.
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2010
I have had two of the flat bacon trays, one round and one oblong. Neither could cook the amount of bacon that this will. It is a solid product and, of all things, made in the USA. Several reviews complain the bacon came out too crisp etc. That will happen with any of these if you cook it too long. Someone complained that it took too long, that is due to a low power microwave. If you have a standard Microwave this will undoubtedly impress you. Storage is great, it comes apart and stores in the base of the unit. Can be cleaned in the dishwasher which always makes life a little easier. The bacon comes out done more evenly due to the relatively small footprint. Just had to give this five stars because it is so much better than what I have used for years. Oh, one other thing that is just great, the bacon can be removed while it is untouchable hot simply by slipping a knife between the clear plastic "tent" pieces and lifting out. If you decide to get this product I hope you are as pleased with the performance as I!
on February 17, 2008
You can fit 10 slices at once, which is important to us. Hot bacon is easy to remove 5 slices at a time with a knife. Thick or thin cut works well. The cooked strips are bent but easily flattened when you lay them on a plate. If the bacon edges stick together, let them cool for a minute and they're easily seperated.

Cleanup is a minor task.. take apart the racks and place them in a dishwasher. Next dump the grease from the pan (there's a lot!!) and place that in the dw as well. Its well worth the effort since the bacon comes out perfectly!
on March 6, 2008
This little bacon cooker has saved my life! Well, almost. My brother moved in with me and he gets bacon and eggs every morning. .. and I was not used to cooking anything in the morning let alone deal with bacon and grease. Just drape the bacon on the two little plastic racks, be sure to drape a paper towel over them, and pop them in the microwave for about a minute per slice. If the bacon is thicker it might take a bit longer. The grease is all in the bottom of the small pan, very little popping in the microwave. I put it in the top rack of my dishwasher and I've had no problems. I LOVE IT!
on September 13, 2008
OK, I love my bacon. I think everybody knows that.

I've owned a number of microwave bacon cookers over the years always in search of the latest advances in bacon technology.

Back in the day, mama always fried bacon in a pan and would pour the grease in a used can of Crisco and put it in the fridge until it got full, and then would throw it away.

Growing up during the 1960's I remember seeing the greatest advancement ever in bacon technology on the Merv Griffen Show. A representative from G.E. was on the show and demonstrated one the first microwave ovens. Originally microwaves had large wattages and were designed for use in commercial kitchens. And on the show they used bacon to demonstrate microwave cooking.

Merv, who of course later became a billionaire by televising the game Hangman on TV, just could not believe the man when he said he could cook 4 pieces of bacon in 1 minute by putting it on a paper plate in the microwave. Merv, along with millions of viewers at home, were all amazed when the microwave did just that! I knew at that point that one day, I too would own a microwave oven and cook my own bacon in it.

Then one day in the early 80's I had my own microwave oven, which my brother had given to me as a Christmas present. Of course in those days, you used paper plates and paper towels to cook your bacon.

Grease is your enemy when it comes to bacon. You just don't want it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of crisp bacon, instead I believe the best bacon is meaty and hearty with just the slightest hint of fat.

So the most important factor is selecting your bacon by viewing the front of the package and the "representative slice" in the window on the back.

Next is your bacon cooker. You want to separate the grease from the bacon. The first models, and some say the best models, have waffle ridges on the surface where you lay your bacon flat and the grease runs down into a collector area while your bacon cooks above the grease.

Next were models where you hung your bacon over "trees" and the bacon hung down and the grease ran down into the collection tray below. My favorite of this type is the "Bacon Genie". However the problem with this approach is that the bacon would stick together at the bottom and instead of a flat piece, you had a folded piece of bacon.

Then the next generation of bacon cookers had the slots where you would place each piece of bacon in a slot so they stood up vertically. Then you used a skewer to keep them in place. These produced some nice bacon, but was time consuming to set-up and hard to clean.

The Presto 5100 is a vast improvement over tree bacon. Here there are two plastic inverted V shaped racks that you lay your bacon over. This prevents the ends from touching forming the dreaded "loop" bacon pieces and you get nice flat pieces with the grease falling down into the tray. The V pieces pop apart and are stored flat in the tray for easy storage.

It seems that the 5100 is the best engineered bacon cooker, though I sometimes still prefer my flat tray as the best result vs. preparation.

Enjoy bacon the way the Good Lord meant it to be - meaty and greaseless.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2008
I've found this product to be so-so. After using it several times, I've concluded that traditional pan fried bacon tastes much better with a more satisfying texture. The best thing I can say about this bacon cooker is that it is a relatively simple process and the bacon doesn't sit in grease at any time while cooking. The results, however, have varied from poor to mediocre so I'll probably stick with pan fried bacon for 5 or less rashers or bake it in the oven when I need lots of rashers at the same time, which has always come out great. Also, this product is less easy to clean than either a fry pan or a baking tray, which are each a single surface. With this, you have to clean 5 separate components.
44 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse