Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on August 24, 2008
I used to own a Fry Daddy deep fryer by Presto, but it was a bit too small. This GranPappy is just about right for the limited deep frying that we do. It does not use a lot of cooking oil, and it heats up fast. It's big enough to fry a large chicken breast, although we use it for smaller things. Cleaning is very easy. It does not have a lid to prevent some limited oil spatter during cooking, so I usually put a piece of paper towel over it. It's simple and it works very well. Be warned that this is an inherently dangerous product with potential for serious inury if knocked over. Keep it well out of reach of children
55 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2013
The secret to good fried chicken is a real crisp skin.This is a great little fryer, but with chicken you need an extra yet worthwhile step to have the best fried chicken you ever smacked your lips around. This fryer does that but not if the bone-in chicken is raw, the temp of this fryer is too high for raw, bone-in chicken and what happens is undercooked chicken, even legs. But there is a way to get around that and it makes the chicken much better anyway.

What you need to do is place the pieces of chicken you want to fry in a pot, cover with cold water, add salt to taste and, what I like is a healthy dose of Tabasco sauce. Enough to change the water color and to smell its aroma. You can use whatever herbs or spices you want to impart in the flesh if you like. Bring the cold water with chicken and flavors to a boil uncovered. Once it comes to a boil, remove the chicken, do not boil too long. Let it sit out to dry, it only takes a minute or two for the hot chicken to dry itself, Then, however you want to coat it, I dip the chicken in buttermilk and then flour. Let that sit at least fifteen minutes, as long as it does to let the oil come up to temperature, this gives enough time for the buttermilk and flour to adhere, making less mess in your oil and a better crust. Fry three pieces at a time if you like but no more, it doesn't take long to bring it to a beautiful golden color. Place it on a rack, never on paper towels to drain, that will keep your chicken crisp on both sides. Once cooled slightly, plate it and you'll have yourself some real good fried chicken.
77 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2005
I have just ordered another Fry-Daddy. This will be the third one that I have had over the years. It is lighweight and is just a pot that holds oil as someone said. It is so convenient and not heavy, it makes it easy to store if you do not have countertop room. There are all kinds of deep fryers, but none that does a better job than this one. I would recommend it to anyone.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2009
I have had this deep fryer in the past, tried two others since and have kept going back to this one. I like the Grandpappy size because I can fry a lot or little at one time. It frys evenly, even when it gets the flour at the bottom, and it is so easy to clean and use. I have given away my fancy ones for this down to earth "best of the best" fryers. Thank goodness I was able to find it on Amazon after the one I used for a zillion years lost most of its coating and I decided to retire it. It was still cooking even, though, just decided it was time for me to get a new one in case I couldn't find one in the future if it ever gave out!
on March 1, 2008
The GranPappy deep fryer is one of the greatest investments I've ever made. I don't fry often but when I do, this GranPappy has performed wonderfully. My coconut shrimp cooks up quickly and evenly and I don't have to worry about the oil temperature being too hot or not hot enough and the best is no messy clean-up afterwards. I love that I can save and refrigerate my oil afterwards thanks to the handy plastic top that comes with it. I didn't even have to buy a spatula to lift out the hot food because one comes with it. This GranPappy is one item I should have purchased long ago.
on January 11, 2007
It's hard to have much to say about such a simple device. This is number five or six from Presto. They've all worked great and lasted well past my efforts to keep them clean. Keep them coming.
on December 18, 2006
THis is the family size edition of presto's popular Fry Daddy line of fryers. I have had my own fry daddy for 6 years now, and my grandmother has had hers for over 20. Still the same basic quality fryer. Simple heat and fry. It has no lid or filter to filter the smell and prevent splatterlike some of the fancy models, this is just plain frying. Best rules, If frozen don't just drop the item in fast, and I tend to use this more in the warmer weather, when I can have my windows open. If you have a good Hood above your stove, that can be helpful as well. Otherwise, tasty food quickly, I still love my fry daddy. Its affordable and reliable.
on November 28, 2011
I recently decided I wanted to get a deep fryer and looked through most of the ones offered here on Amazon. I decided to go with the GranPappy. I have only used it a couple of times, but so far I love it. Here is my impression of the product so far:

PROS
- Nice simple fryer. Just plug it in and it heats up, unplug to turn it off. There are no buttons or switches of any type. In my experience, less complicated = less stuff to break, which is why I didn't go with some of the more complicated fryers.
- Easy to clean since it is basically just a bucket.
- Comes with a lid so it will also store your cooking oil.

CONS
- Since it is so simple it is not adjustable at all. It's not an issue for me, but if for some reason you want to adjust your oil temp you cannot.
- Only comes with a plastic straining utensil that I think isn't shaped the best. It works OK, but I think it is a little too flat and should be a little more bowl-shaped. For occasional use it should be adequate, but if you plan on being a daily fry-master you would probably want to buy something more substantial.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2006
The grandpappy I purchased was a repeat. I have one and needed two more but was unable to find in the local stores. Thank you Amazon.com. The grandpappy is large enough for a nice batch of french fries and heats up quickly. Clean up is fast and easy.
on May 24, 2011
I have been searching for a basket that would fit this fryer. Finally found one. For about ten bucks you can get the fryer basket and handle (must order both -STOCK NOS. 94308 and 94066 ) for the presto kitchen kettle from gopresto.com. Fits perfectly and attaches to the side of the fryer to raise it above the oil for draining.
44 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse