Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer
Price:$31.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 27, 2001
I've had one of these little fryer appliances since they first became popular in the seventies. The current model is the second one I've had, being larger than the original model that came out.
For someone not needing to fry enormous amounts at one time, this little machine is ideal. It requires only a very small amount of vegetable oil. I've used it to fry chicken wings, quickly, to do french fries and onion rings, to do other smaller chicken parts, and it works beautifully. There is no thermostat; you just plug it in, wait 10 minutes, and the temp is 375. Having such a small amount of grease, it recovers heat more quickly than an electric skillet.
When you are through, if you plan to reuse the grease you can simply let the machine cool, snap the plastic top on, the put the whole thing in the fridge. I don't fry that often, and when I do, I tend to fry a lot, so usually I just discard the oil. Such a small amount is used (usually no more than 3 cups starting out) that I don't feel bad about discarding the oil.
The sides on this appliance are quite high, and splatter around the machine has never been a problem. I used common sense, though, when I fry, whether it's here or on the stove.
I'm sure the all-enclosed auto-fryers that are out on the market are nice, and if I fried a lot I'd probably get one. However, I only fry once or twice a month, and for that, this little machine is perfect. I'd recommend one to anyone--durable, simple, and does exactly what it's designed for!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2009
After spending more money on 2 faulty deep fryers (Rival is hit-or-miss for quality), I've finally settled on this little beauty.

Pros:
1.) Cheap and simple, a very compact and minimalist package overall. It is nothing more than a steel bucket with a heating element underneath.

2.) Fries at 350 degrees, 25 short of "ideal" but safe for cooking with lard and lower smoke point oil. Try lard if you never have, you can still get it in supermarkets.

3.) Milled steel bucket, cast aluminum base. Inside has a permanent synthetic non-stick surface. Clean up and changing oil is simple.

Cons:
1.) This fryer isn't for families with young children or dumb people. Hot oil is always dangerous to work around and this unit is a STEEL BUCKET FULL OF OIL. The outside is hot. The inside is hot. It's hot.

2.) Doesn't have a lid to stop the occasional spatter.

3.) The bottom and healing element are shielded, but it will still warm up your synthetic countertop. I have mine on an old wooden cutting board to avoid warping the plastic.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2011
This 'review' is actually just a 'heads up' for anyone considering buying an electric fryer that has both the heating element(s) and the thermostat in/under the bottom of the fry pot.

This design relies on the fact that 'hotter' oil rises up and away from the heat source, and up and away from the thermostat. This works very well when the oil is clean and clear.

But you *might* have an issue getting your oil back up to temp after frying a few batches of breaded 'items' (ie: breaded fish or chicken pieces).

Even a relatively thin layer of fried breading crumbs on the bottom of the pot creates an insulating 'blanket'. So when the heating element turns on, the relatively small amount of oil in the blanket heats up quickly, and can't move up thru the crumb layer quickly enough, and the thermostat senses the 'blanket' is up to temp, and shuts the heating element off. The thermostat does a great job of keeping the oil in the crumb blanket at the proper temp, but the main body of oil above the blanket takes a LONG time to get back up to the proper temp (since the thermostat is constantly turning the heating element off). And if the blanket is heavy enough, ambient heat loss will cancel out the small amount of heat escaping the blanket, and the oil will NEVER get up to proper temp!

This 'issue' can be eliminated by scraping the bottom and stirring the oil vigorously between batches, OR by sifting out all the crumbs after every few batches.

Note that scraping the bottom and stirring also helps prevent the crumbs in the 'blanket' from burning. If they do burn, you will taste the burnt flavor in stuff you fry later, even if you fry the later pieces perfectly.

Bottom Line: Scape the bottom and stir between EVERY batch on ANY fryer which has the heat coming in from the bottom
(whether there is also a thermostat down there or if you just have a pot of oil on a burner).

Note that you can avoid the whole issue by using a fryer with side mounted and/or immersed heating elements.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2002
I fry things about 1-2 times a week, and I liked my fried things to be very crispy yet not laden with oil. I wanted something that would truly get to a hotter frying temperature, to make my frying quicker and more "healthful"...(healthy frying....is that an oxymoron or what?) Because I don't fry THAT often, I just needed something simple.
I like this fryer because the heat-up time is very quick, and there is much less splatter then if you were frying in a pot. When I fry, I usually do your typical fried foods: fries, onion rings, wontons, etc. I have not tried to do anything else in it yet.
If the oil is fairly clean after I use it, I will put it in the refridgerator, but not keep more than a week. This is a very simple fryer. If you are a more heavy-duty fryer, then you might want to look into a fancier one. The exterior is not cool-touch, and there is no basket. If you only do small batches of things, and don't really fry that much, or even if you do, then this will be a great fryer for you.
on August 31, 2001
This machine is really easy to use...I fried dough to make funnel cake and donuts, and it was simple. All you have to do is put in your oil, heat it up, and add the dough. The number of things you can fry is endless. My personal favorites are the funnel cake, chicken tenders, and french fries. Depending on what you are making, cooking time can vary from mere minutes to a half hour. Experiment, create your own recipes, it's easy.
One word of advice is to make sure to clean the fryer and change the oil regularly. Nothing is worse than frying with old oil. Keep the fryer very clean! Enjoy!
on May 30, 2013
It is a very simple fryer. The chicken wings and chips was very tasty. But when i I poured the oil, i was shocked. Teflon coating has gone after the first use. Please see the attached picture. Will never use it again! it is unhealthy to eat Teflon wings ...
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2008
Ok, the fry daddy works great, that why it's been around for so long. Just a few quick notes.

1. keep an eye out for a glass lid that fits your frydaddy, because sooner or later, some doofus is going to plug it in w/o removing the plastic lid and I don't have to tell you the rest of that story.

2. It's about $18.00 at wal-mart, but if you spend the gas money to get there, you'll probably spend a $100.00 before you leave, so go ahead & get it on amazon. It's a greener way to do it, UPS will pass your house anyway so let them bring it to you:)

3. FINALLY, you get a discount if you buy that slicing tool that is offer w/the frydaddy. I've used them all and this one is AWESOME. You can make french fries in about the same amount of time it takes to pull those nasty frozen one's out of the freezer. Plus, it chopps nuts & slices fresh fruits & veggies for salads. OH, and I paid a lot more for my slicer & I'm 99.9% sure this is the same one.

Hope this helps.

Anyway,
on August 17, 2006
I should have bought this years ago. Yeah, it splatters some, but so does using a frying pan. I find that if I put frozen foods (french fries, etc.) in a collander and rinse the ice crystals off with hot water a few minutes before I put them in the hot oil, they don't splatter as much.
on January 9, 2009
I like this unit because it is small and can be stored out of the way when not in use. When in use, it doesn't take up much space on the counter. Watch out, though, as the exterior gets very hot - this is not a "cool touch" fryer. I would give this 4 stars if it heated up past 350 degrees. I used a candy thermometer and the max temperature is 350, which is just enough for frying foods.

Use small batches because if you load it up with food, the temp of your oil will drop, which will cause you to have to wait a while between batches for the oil to heat up again.

5 stars for small compact design and that it doesn't take too much oil - just 4 cups of oil or shortening.

3 stars for only average heat. I could use 25-50 degrees more heat to keep up the cooking temperature when I put in cold items like fried calimari or potatos.
review image review image
on March 16, 2007
For years I've avoided making my own fried foods, as I had no luck frying in pans or my wok. My husband suggested a FryDaddy, remembering their commercials from the 1970s. We've had it for over a month and have used it several times, and it's been terrific. We've used it for shrimp and tempura thus far. It's nice to free up a burner on the stove by using this countertop item.

Browning is kind of tricky at first, because this gadget fries really quickly, faster than their instruction guide indicates. Fried shrimp for po' boys took 2 minutes at the most to get brown. Once I scooped out a couple batches of shrimp the oil level went down a bit, and the temperature increased, nearly burning next batch. I recommend adding more oil to the fill line if this happens. Also, the oil will splatter, so I use a splatter screen over the top to prevent a big mess.

It's not the easiest to clean and the cord is inconvenient. For safety reason, the FryDaddy has a short cord and recommends you not use an extension. Unless you're lucky enough to have an outlet right next to your table, this won't be a tabletop item - sort of a bummer if you want to make tempura at the table! Second, this unit is a bit hard to clean. The cord has a habit of collecting batter that drips, and of course the FryDaddy cannot be immersed in water. I clean the unit by pouring hot water into it with a little dish soap to soak for a few minutes. After I pour it out, I wipe clean with paper towels and let dry.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations