4.0 out of 5 stars Nice features - low price
Published on February 28, 2006 by D. Broucek

3.0 out of 5 stars great little fryer
Published on September 3, 2007 by S. Flynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice features - low price, February 28, 2006
This review is from: Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-touch Deep Fryer - Black (Kitchen)
This is a great little fryer. It cooks enough for 2 servings at a time, do not overload. It has a nice list of features. The basket is very handy, the temperature guage and ready light work well and the lid with vents and a filter help reduce the grease smell in your house. Some foods with a lot of moisture will not fry well with the lid closed and even with the lid closed you will not eliminate the odor completely. I set this up on my stove when I use it so that I'm able to use the exhaust fan as well and then I am able to eliminate all of the smell. It cleans up nicely and I'm able to store the oil in it between uses for weeks.

The previous reviews clearly were not using as this is intended. I suspect they were overfilling with oil/food/both.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love a bit of grease, September 28, 2007
A great gadget. No spills, no over boils, no stink, no mess.

Ensure your food is patted dry...or use a bit less oil if you don't want an over boil of grease coming out of the top.

It also says, to prevent food gunk sticking to pan..like hand batter fish don't use the basket. I just put the basket down into the grease and drop the fish in. Didn't stick.

Easy to clean. Lid lifts off, and it has a small catch for when you open the lid in the back of the unit.

I think it was easy to clean. Lid comes off, filter pops out, bowl lifts out and the bowl is immersable. Little hot water and Dawn and like new...

It took about 51 ounces of oil.

Order extra filters, it only comes with one.

3.0 out of 5 stars great little fryer, September 3, 2007
This fryer is way better than the one I bought a few years ago [the fry baby]. The only word of caution I want to share with folks is to really remove the ice crystals from food before putting in the fryer. The ice crystals make the oil boil up too much and will cause leakage. I had this happen the first time I fried, and since then I rinse the chicken wings under cool water and shake em off before putting them in the basket.

If anyone is wondering, it takes a bottle and a half of cooking oil to get to the "max fill line", which is where they recommend it to be.

The cooking/draining basket is probably the best feature of the product because you can let the oil drain off before putting the food on paper towels. I've noticed a lot less grease on my paper towels after letting the food drain for a couple of minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars CoolDaddy is too cold., February 20, 2012
Length:: 3:00 Mins

I really wanted to like this one, but as anyone who know anything about fryers knows, temp is key!
This one was at least 40 degrees low w/o food and 60 degrees low with only one tortilla worth of chip! That tells me that, in addition to the thermostat being off, the oil container doesn't have enough mass; Oil has about half the thermal mass of water, so a big thick metal oil container is needed for a quick temperature rebound. 375 is barely enough for most frying, but 310 is too low. That means greasy food and a clogged heart. Returned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned--cannot recommend-poor quality-defective, July 16, 2008
Since others have given a basic description of this fryer, I'll skip all of that and tell you why I returned it. One of the reasons that I decided on this fryer was the ability to close the cover while raising and lowering food into and out of the oil to prevent splattering hot oil all over the counter. The basket in the unit that I received could not be raised or lowered with the top cover latched. Once the cover was closed the mechanism for releasing the basket assembly was inoperable. Simply put, this was a deal wrecker for me. My overall impression of the fryer was not especilly high. I would describe the quality as less than I was expecting, lightweight, flimsy, with a plastic sort of feel to the whole thing. I think I'll start over and spend a little more money on a more quality fryer. Cannot recommend this one. This is the first time I have used the Amazon return process and found it to be as easy as it gets. Thanks Amazon. As a side note I have an observation about negative reviews in general. I find that more often than not negative reviews get "not helpful" responces from readers. I guess it's human nature to not want to hear a negative about something that one is interested in buying. Point is--a negative can be as helpful as a positive review because it might just save you the headache of returning the item and starting over as I have done. Thanks for reading this. I hope it is helpful during your decision making process.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great safety features but leaves foods drenched in oil, July 15, 2009
First I should say this was a replacement for a Waring Pro deep fryer, which I loved. Although I hated the clean up part so figured I'd try something new.

What I liked about the Presto Cool Daddy:

Cool touch outside..while it isn't exactly cool it wasn't scolding hot either.
No mess frying. The locking lid and handle (lowering/raising basket) both work great and do prevent any accidental splatters of oil.
Clean up is a breeze.

My big complaint is the oil does not stay hot once you put the food in and it takes it awhile to get back up to the correct temperature, which leaves you with foods soaked in oil as an end result.

I tried different oils (peanut and vegetable). I did the double fry method for the fries, but the same result--fries soaked with oil.

The quality is OK. About what I expected considering it is almost all plastic.

I will be returning the Presto Cool Daddy and purchasing another Waring Pro as it did an awesome job of retaining the temperature to get perfect fries..and other foods. The Cool Daddy just doesn't give foods the crispness I prefer when frying foods.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super disappointing, October 23, 2011
tsalyers531 (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
It says the max temp it should reach is 375. My deep fry thermometer however shows it only reaches 325. That explains why my batch of fried chicken came out bloody even though I cooked it for the recommended 15 minutes at the highest setting. Clearly a max deep fry of 325 is not appropriate for deep frying any foods, let alone to ensure they're cooked to a safe temp to eat. Also, the name CoolDaddy is misleading. The outside of the unit is anything but cool when in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fryer, October 20, 2007
R. Gough (West MI United States) - See all my reviews
We have had this fryer for quite a while now and it gets regular use. the basket is failry generous and it is easy to use. I especially like the black color as it tends to not show up the dirt and smudges that a white body does. Regardless of cleaning a fryer will get dirty.

One note on this fryer. do not fill it to the full line while cold or when you lift the basket out of the hot oil it will not clear the oil level and the bottom of the basket will remain in the oil not allowing the food to drain.

1-15-2012

Still works great. appearance wise, it has seen better days. but holding up under heavy use and have yet to have any problems with it.

2013
this fryer finally quit on us this year. Don't regret the purchase one bit and the basket fits inside one of our pans so I'm still using the basket for frying in a pan till we get around to purchasing another one (and it will be the same one)

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT TOO BAD ! !, October 28, 2008
The quality of the construction is kind of flimsy and not too impressive. Although, it works just great. Just be careful when you are frying, the lid is down and you reach for the handle to raise the basket. There is a small gap at the top where the handle meets the fryer. You can get scalded because the heat and steam rise up through that gap and if you do not hold you hand and thumb back a tiny bit further, that steam will get you. And....a disappointment about it is----it says that it has quick reheat recovery on it. When I take something out and wait for the light to go out which informs you that the oil is reheated; I put in something and (close the lid first) then lower the basket down. The book says it should sizzle and pop immediately because of the reheated oil. You know....like at McDonald's when you see them drop the basket of fries into the oil. IT DOES NOT.
The food sits in the oil with a little bit of gurgling and then in a few seconds, it begins to sizzle and fry. This was the main reason I bought it, because on Amazon it said about the quick reheat recovery. I am greatly disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made and doesn't heat up, May 17, 2012
This is my only disappointment out of all the appliances I've purchased on Amazon. I also have several Presto products which have all been excellent and I was hoping this would be good too. Unfortunately it never heats the oil up hot or consistently enough and things get overly saturated with oil instead of crispy. The handle that's supposed to let you drain the oil off before you remove it from the deep fryer doesn't stay up anymore when lifted. It did for a little while, but now I have to sit there and hold the handle up to let things drain to get the excess oil off. It's very cheaply made and I'm super disappointed in it. I had a T-Fal deep fryer given to me 6 years ago and it worked great until some oil got on the heating element by accident and melted some of the parts. It always worked perfect and unfortunately I couldn't find an exact replacement anymore. All there was was newer models which didn't look as good and weren't designed the same. Presto as a whole has been great, but this one is horrible. If anyone finds a great deep fryer (possibly T-fal) that is covered and similarly designed (but not so cheap), let me know. I'm in the market for a new one already.

Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-touch Deep Fryer - Black
$99.99 $58.68
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.