Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on January 3, 2007
The Presto Slow Cook'n More Multi-Cooker is vastly more useful than most countertop kitchen appliances. The temperature control is very sensitive and wide-ranging (although inadequately marked), allowing you to use the cooker for applications not envisioned by Presto -- you can , for example, throw a cheap roast in the pot, brown the exterior at 375F, and then add broth/seasonings and braise the roast at 180F for 12-24 hours, yielding a tender, flavorful and juicy pot-roast without tying up the oven. You can effectively do true barbecue on your countertop -- long, slow cooking at around 180F. Just put some sort of small trivet or rack on the bottom of the cooker to keep the meat off of the pot bottom, and turn the meat a few times.

You can half fill the pot with salted water, bring it rapidly to a boil, and then put dry pasta in the fryer-basket and drop it in.

It ought to be able to pop popcorn -- haven't tried that one yet.

Because of the sensitive temperature control, you can create a water bath at nearly any useful temperature -- you should be able to use this device as an immersion yogurt-maker, or a Sous vide cooker (cooking vacuum-sealed food packets in a temperature controlled water bath -- a kind of dry-poaching)

And, of course it slow-cooks with the included crock liner, and deep fries with the included fry-basket. As a fryer it allows higher frying temps than many of the "consumer" countertop fryers, but is of course far less idiot-proof.

As a slow-cooker it is better than most, because you can actually set the temperature rather than using unregulated "low-high" switch settings that are never exactly correct, and often grievously wrong. Most inexpensive slow-cookers have no thermostats, and instead use heating coils whose temperature is regulated by your line voltage. This isn't reliable, and to be "safe" the manufacturers have cranked up the design operating temperatures so far that most slow-cookers can't actually slow-cook any more. The Presto can actually slow-cook. Of course, if you are careless or ignorant you can also produce a nice batch of totally unsafe food by setting the thermostat _too_ low.

While a great kitchen addition or dorm-room do-it-all, the Presto Cook'n More is also a serious tool for the knowledgeable home chef on a budget. If you don't really know what you are doing, just follow the Presto manual. If you do know what you are doing, be inventive.
22 comments25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2007
This is a completely ideal product. The crock-pot version cooks everything to perfection. You control the temp (unlike those with pre-sets that cook your meats into powder) and can simply put vegs on the bottom and your meat on top. Set the thing to 275 and come back in 10 - 12 hours. You can go faster if you like just by increasing the setting to 375.

I put pots, carrots, celery, cabbage, onions on the bottom and a whole skinless chicken on top. I added a couple hand-cups of rosemary/garlic and left it overnight at 275. The next day, I had a wonderful full course meal! When I tried that with my Rival, it cooked the chicken to a dry powdery texture. It never mattered what setting I used with the Rival, it was a joke as a crock pot.

The Presto, as a deep fryer, beats the high priced specialty units. You can put the temp on 375 - 400 and your fries will barely absorb any oil! I had forgotten how much I missed this feature from my old Daisy.

The Presto heats ultra fast for all boiling needs including pasta, blanching and so on.

This joins only a few appliances that are completely idiot-proof. It has a safety feature where the plug is magnetically attached to unit. It has a cool fry/ steamer basket and a non-stick surface on the base unit. I really, really love this product and I love buying it from Amazon's price beaters.
on January 9, 2007
My wife and I own some fancy waterless cookware, but don't trust the stove on all day with three cats at home. Hence we chose to purchase a slow cooker. Amazon offers several models but the reviews from other customers drew our attention to this Presto.

A bonus discovered upon it's arrival was that not only is it a slow cooker but also deep fryer, handy indeed. The removable crock makes clean up a breeze, and it's more then large enough for large dishes when a party or large family gathering warrents. The temperature control/power cord attaches to the cooker via a magnetic connection. This became detached one day after we first got the unit. No doubt due to a curious kitty, who smelled shrimp cooking.

My wife only complaint with the Presto 06001 is that the unit can get very hot, even at lower temps. The controller is in degrees and not graduated in a low-high fashion. I don't see an issue with this but then again, I'm not the cook... ahem.

In all this is a great addition to the kitchen tool crib.
on September 23, 2007
This little appliance works wonderfully for every function it has. So much so, that it's earned a permanent place on my very limited kitchen counter. I've used it to deep fry (the best and most accurate deep-fryer I've ever owned), slow cook, make soups and stews, braise, steam, and cook pasta. The magnetic cord release is an excellent safety feature and one that's already saved a cooker full of soup from landing on the floor. Because I'm usually just cooking for myself, I find that I rarely use the stove top anymore. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
on March 2, 2006
This is to replace an identical cooker which was several years old. Ideal for roasts. We used it at least twice a week.

This new one has a much better way of attaching the power cord. On the old one we had to plug the heat control into a very tight friction fitting. On the new cooker the control stays "plugged in" while the cord is easily disconnected at a simple, magnetically held connection. You can then safely remove the control from the

"cooled" out side pot for washing ,if neccesary.
on January 9, 2007
This is the second slow cooker I've purchased in the last 25 years or so and I really like this product. I like the temperature settings on it, I like the way it cleans up easily, I like the way it looks and I like the way it cooks a pot roast with vegetables to perfection! As you can see I really like this product. I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants to put a meal in it before work and have it ready when you come home. In addition, great customer service with this product. I ordered it and it was shipped quickly with no problems.
on July 16, 2007
I have had one of these for many years, and since I have almost worn the non-stick coating off it, I wanted a new one! I love them! The only thing I am disappointed about is that my old one is a 6-quart, and this one is ONLY a 4-quart!

I wanted the six quart!

Is THE SIX-QUART AVAILABLE?
on March 11, 2007
Works great for cooking all kinds of things. The only thing I have found is the finish stains when not used with the crock in. I use it to brown meats for stews and chili and then cook the other things and I have a meal in no time.
on January 9, 2007
I now have 2 of these pots. The other just doesn't have the crock liner. I figured I'd get this one since my crock pot died and I couldn't find a new liner. With this, I can still use it for things if the liner is broken. Cooks good. I'm putting a programmable timer on the power so I can time my cooking. Great, straightforward product!
on February 17, 2007
I love this product! It does so many things and is sturdy and easy to clean. I haven't had it long enough to comment on whether the non-stick coating flakes off (I've decided to use the crock as often as possible) and the magnetic power mechanism takes some getting used too, but otherwise I am completely satisfied with this purchase.

**Edit -- I have now been using this crock regularly since 2007 and I thought I'd update my review.

First of all, the nonstick coating has not worn off. I will say that I only occasionally (once or twice a year) use it as a deep-fryer, so that might be why I haven't had problems. I still use it mostly as a crockpot and I still love that I can use it in other ways when I need to.

I'm still not a fan of the magnetic power mechanism. I'll try to explain it: instead of a sturdy plug, the electrical cord is attached to the unit with a magnet. I assume this is to prevent mishaps where the unit get knocked over and stays plugged in. Safety-wise, that's great, but it does get impractical on my countertops when I'm preparing other food and I accidentally move the cord and unplug my slow-cooker. Not a deal-breaker, but it can be annoying.

After using it all these years, the thing that bothers me most is that there is no insulation around the pot. I have to worry more than I would with a standard slow-cooker because nothing can come in contact with the outside of the unit while it's on. That includes little fingers, stray wrappers, and anything else that might move around my counters during the day. It's nerve-wracking and - in my opinion - dangerous, and I don't feel comfortable leaving this unit on while I'm not home.

Having said all that, I want to stress that I've had this item for over 7 years and have used it an average of twice a week without incident. It does what it's supposed to do, and I knew what I was getting when I purchased it. It's incredibly sturdy and durable and it's still going strong. It's my opinion that the unit is well-made and useful and I just wish the manufacturer would find a way to make a cool-touch model that does all the things this does.

See 1 answered question